Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Navigation System

Comments

• holleholle Posts: 10
    does this work in making the dvd controls accessable while driving too? (being able to view the dvd controls on the front screen while in motion?).

if this doesn't work..does anyone know an override way to allow the dvd controls to appear on the front screen w/out having to be stopped and with the parking brake on?
    I have a new 08 model, not sure if these override's have been elminated on the 08's or not.

thanks!
  • I think the main computer located under the pass seat is not working It is a 2004 JBL system I was quoted 2,000.00 to purchase a new one from the dealer. That is too much! Is thier a place where I can have this unit repaired or another place where I can purchase a new one for less? Thanks in advance for any help!!!
  • gpsjunkiegpsjunkie Posts: 15
    The short answer is no, dvd controls are not available when driving. However, there are overrides available(were available, I haven't checked in a long while). They used to cost about $70-80 and attached to the system. It should be understood that most states have laws about dvds, tvs, even laptops being used in the front seat while the vehicle is moving. What sucks about the law is that it covers even a passenger in the front seat, which can be really stupid. Almost as stupid as locking out the information like hotel or restaurant phone numbers on the navigation system when there is a passenger sitting in the seat activating the sensor for the seat belt indicator if they're not wearing a seatbelt, but somehow that doesn't translate to a non-driving person being able to work the navigation controls. Yikes, don't get me started!!
  • holleholle Posts: 10
    Thank you for the response.
    I just don't understand why the sienna doesn't have controls on the dash somewhere to control the dvd. (play/stop/forward..etc). it's only on the touch screen and can only be seen when the parking brake is on. using the remote (facing towards the back) is just awkward and a dumb design. i might be missing something since i just bought this van last week,..but i don't even see a volume control on the remote.
    i understand not being able to watch the tv while in motion (obviously saftey and against the law)..but not being able to even control the dvd when in motion is silly to me.

again..thanks for the response. i guess i'll just have to get use to using the remote and stretching my arm back there to change out the dvd's while in motion or at a stop sign. (yeah,..THAT'S not dangerous). ha!
  • qjessaniqjessani Posts: 1
    Hi, I took delivery @10 days back of new Sienna XLE AWD. I had purchase XLE with Navigation and Dvd package. Reading the manuals and playing with all th e features, I finally realized that instead of giving me XLE with the DVD package theat includes rear seat entertainment (as my lease states), my dealer found me an XLE and installed DVD at the dealership. This has resulted me not getting the features like controlling the DVD on the touch screen since this DVD player is not an 'integrated' one from the factory. Similarly, my 'ipod ready' features (included with the DVD package) can only up & down tracks but wont list my folders (playlists, Albums etc.)etc. I am in Canada ...please advice what options I have. Thanks.
  • haysusanhaysusan Posts: 1
    I am trying to transfer the contacts from my Palm Centro phone to the Navigation System phone book. The transfer worked, however the data is in alpha order by first name where on Outlook and in the phone it is by last name, the group info was not received, and only the area code of the phone number was received.

What do I need to do to correct this?
  • steveko23steveko23 Posts: 1
    I just took delivery of my new 2008 XLE Sienna so I thought to try out the navigation system on the drive home. It was working until I got close to my home and I decided to turn right onto a street just prior to the street it was going to tell me to turn on which would intersect with the street my house is off of. I wanted to test how well it updated itself. It was complete and utter fail! It did not update itself. For some reason it did not understand the road. I could see the road on the map, it had the road list at "Lytle 5 Points" and I could see myself driving on it, but it would not update the map. Later that evening I went to Kroger and again went off route and took Lytle 5 Points and again the navigation did not correct itself until I got off that road. It's like it knows the road exists because I see it in the map, but doesn't know how to handle it in the system. This is a pretty main road that has been around for a minimum of 20 years.

And then last night I tried the navigation somemore to navigate me home and I went off route again using a backroad...but a backroad that it a pretty main road that has been around for a minimum of 20 years and again I could see me driving on the road and it knew the name of the road, but it would not update the navigation. This time I tried to reset it by attempting to start my navigation from where I was. So I stopped the car and retold it I wanted to go home overriding my previous destination. Now it gave me a light blue line and told me to follow that until the darker blue line started where the navigation would start. Following the lighter blue line directed me the correct route and then about halfway down my street the darker blue line took over. I don't understand 1. how the navigation can start working in the middle of a neighborhood street (and actually it started working on the newer half of the street (within the past 10 years new as opposed to 10-20 years old) and 2. why the navigation couldn't start when the light blue line was able to direct me to where the navigation could start.

Please help.

Steve
  • navguy1navguy1 Posts: 181
    You are in a non-detailed area. If the roads are a mustard color they have not confirmed the roads for turn-by-turn guidance... consequently no-turn-by turn voice prompts. It will simply provide a highlight line for a suggested route.

Once the roads are black, blueish/aqua, or maroon it will provide turn-by-turn guidance.

Call Toyota at 800 331 4331 and give them the area that is not detailed. They will inform the map suppliers in order to have them verify the area for safe guidance.
    You require a GEN3 udpate DVD map disc for our 2004 Sienna, or Toyota part number 00110-GEN23-07 - Version 7.1.

Call around for the best pricing since they dealerships are free to establish their own pricing.
    The navigation ECU is located under the passenger seat. Just slide the seat forward, remove the plastic splash guard and confirm the the connections at the rear of the component. If they are secure and undamaged, you might have to look behind the radio for any intermittent connections.
    The Palm Centro is not an apporved handset for Toyota. You may be able to get it to pair but the Transfer Phone Book feature will not work. In fact, you may find lots of features that dont work with that Palm device, or any other Palm device.

For approved Bluetooth devices go to:

http://toyota.letstalk.com/brands/toyota/mlh_toyota_splash.htm
  • jkirby26jkirby26 Posts: 1
    Hello gpsjunkie...I have seen your post and most of them are usefull....THANK YOU, but I have done a mistake though by following your override guide. You know when you get to that screen when you press the override button until it becomes green....I went to loading button instead and the JP-TSW is highlighted, I switch to US-RSW and now I have an error of unable to access program with some Chinese characters on it. How do I get back to that override screen. I tried doing that upper lefet lower left stuff...but does not work anymore on that caution screen because I cannot access the screen with the menu button to go to the dvd button. Please help.
  • Can Anyone tell me if those override procedures work for a 2005 Sienna XLE Limited.
    Also I called the dealer and they could not tell me the latest version that is out. Does anyone know.

Thanks You for your help
  • mhcoopmhcoop Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 6.1 DVD. What is the latest version for upgrade? Will a DVD Gen 5 V7.1 work?
    You just changed your system to another country. Now you will need that countries disc to then change it back to the US.
    A GEN 5 DVD map disc with Toyota part number 86271-5302X is compatible with your 2006 or newer Sienna.
    Check different Toyota dealerships for an 86841-45010-OW. Each dealership is free to set their own pricing.

At this time there is no repair program available to my knowledge.
  • bksktsbkskts Posts: 1
    Hi, We recently purchased a 2005 Toyota Sienna XLE from Carmax. The navigation version is quite outdated- version 4.2 and we'd like to update it but don't know which generation our navigation system is. Which disc do I need to buy - I'd like to buy it on ebay since they are about $200 cheaper on there but they are all different and I'm so confused.
    Thanks for your help!
  • Just wanted to respond even though this is over a year old. I have a 2004 Sienna and Toyota has given me 3 sets of run flat tires. If you havent gotten your money back for the tires call toyota they know the tire problems and most have been recalled. my first pair were bald at 12,000 miles the second lasted 8,000 miles. Hard to believe they still put them on the cars.Hope they refund you.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Oddly enough they added the run-flat option on the RAV4. Makes no sense to me.
  • akinakin Posts: 24
    Hey folks,

Is the radio supposed to mute or lower the volume when the nav voice commands come on? I just picked up a Sienna last night and on the drive home noticed that the radio volume never lowered or muted whenever the nav voice commands were broadcast. Is there a setting for this?

The unit must have the capability since whenever a phone call comes (through bluetooth) the radio mutes until you get off the phone.
  • h20randyh20randy Posts: 21
    Has anyone had a good experience using bluetooth capability with a phone? I want to buy a new phone and was wondering what would be a good choice as it concerns the use with the Sienna. Any provider or non-contract phone is up for consideration. I have viewed toyota.letstalk.com but that gives some information, but does not have reviews from users. Any phones that you would recommend?
    :confuse:
  • mdchachimdchachi Posts: 275
    Only the left front speaker mutes. Either raise the guidance volume in the navigation settings menu, or lower the radio volume. You can also use the voice commands "louder" and "softer".
  • otkaotka Posts: 3
    Has anybody succeeded on a 2008 model? I tried this sequence many times and have not been able to get the Override screen to show up.
  • Anyone know what the most recent version of the generation 2/3 systems (e.g. for a 2004 Sienna) the override menu function works? Does it work for firmware 2.1, 3.1, etc? I've definitely heard it still works for 5.1, but was disabled for 6.1
  • 2007-2008 models use generation 5, which can only be overriden/disabled with a modified DVD or some wire cutting/soldering... I see the modified DVD on eBay occasionally
  • I've got 6.1 update which should be two years out of date on a 2/3 general system and the override works fine. The latest version should be 8.1, but I have no idea about the override on 7.1 or 8.1.
  • hause7hause7 Posts: 153
    Is there a way to use the Navigation system while moving? Like an override or something?
  • rhadarhada Posts: 2
    I have been trying all the things to get the over ride to work on my new 2009 Sienna, and I can not get any to work. Is there any over ride for the 2009 GPS

Thank You
    rehada
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    A reporter is looking to interview owners of a 2007 or 2008 minivan, SUV or crossover that is loaded with two or more high-tech features such as a navigation system, DVD player, heated mirrors, parking sensors, rear view cameras, iPod connectivity, radio data system, Bluetooth, satellite radio, tire pressure monitoring, universal garage door opener, Sync, etc. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com before Friday, October 10, 2008 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your vehicle.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.