Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Tires & Wheels

167891012»

Comments

• indydriverindydriver Posts: 620
    edited April 2012
    Is anyone running this tire? I am buying a new 2012 XLE FWD that comes with OE Firestone FR710s and I'm thinking about replacing them with the tire above which is Bridgestone's top option now for FWD Siennas. It is rated 2-3 grades higher in nearly every category. Of course, it also costs about 50% more but, good tires (as we see by this thread) mean a lot.
  • mskwk48mskwk48 Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2011 Toyota Sienna for almost 2 years and 30K miles. The tires are terrible- poor handling and completely worm with tier belt comming thru: Rotates every 6 yo 7K, Kept High air PSI at about 39 all around. Could se the insode and outside edge wear at 20K. This will my last Toyota. I am replacing with A 660 Treadwear rating, 100V. I believe the tires and the suspension are way over loaded for the vehicle's weight. Based on the forum I wouldn't trust the RFT for any didstance. I will try to get some dounut spare rigged up or a cheaper steel rim and tire that I can carry for long distances. If enough people don't buy the car maybe they will change the very poor design - especially if oth auto Mfg's start offering an AWD with real tires.
  • indydriverindydriver Posts: 620
    edited May 2012
    We test drove AWD vs FWD and noticed the difference in ride and handling immediately. You'd have to be numb not to notice. Then, if you do your homework, you will discover that for $2300 Toyota gives you a low tech FWD biased AWD system, 230 extra pounds to drive around every day, which results in a loss of 2 mpg each and every drive. A little more homework would reveal that RFTs cost $300 each--twice a decent grand Touring tire--and most importantly, weigh 25% more. In the Sienna's case, that's 7 additional pounds of unsprung weight hung on each corner which (as we see) makes a very noticeable difference in ride and handling. Ever wonder why no one else offers an AWD minivan?

If you are concerned about winter traction, the vast majority of drivers will be much better served by a FWD van with a second set of wheels and Blizzaks for half the price of AWD. It is not Toyota's fault that they offered this design compromise and ill-informed buyers don't understand what they are trading away to get AWD. So, blame yourself.

OK, so you made a poor decision. Now what? Go to your local Firestone Complete Auto Care Center and have them rotate your Bridgestone RFTs for no charge. Then, have them check the alignment for no charge. If the alignment needs adjustment, pay them 2x for lifetime alignment an get it checked every time you rotate your tires. Check air pressure at least monthly and fill to the recommended pressure, which is 35 on my van. If you switch to non-RFTs, you must carry a spare somehow. Do not compound your mistake by subjecting your family to a vehicle that can get stranded. BTW-The Bridgestone Tire Advisor currently recommends the new Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia as its top-of-the-line for FWD Sienna. This new tire incorporates the latest LRR technology into their premium SUV/light truck tire and looks like a fantastic choice for Sienna. Just do not drive without a spare, please.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    edited May 2012
    Good advice - I got a flat tire in Bridgeville, DE, right in the middle of a 2.5 hour trip. I was more than an hour from home/beach condo. It was late at night with 2 kids sleeping in the back.

Thankfully the (full-sized) spare was good. I check pressures even on the spare.

Would have been a total nightmare without it.

My Miata has no spare, a can of fix-a-flat instead, and I refuse to drive out of town with that car.
  • dhabuddhabud Posts: 3
    edited July 2012
    What kind of tire do you have on your 2012 Toyota Sienna.

On my 2012 Sienna XLE FWD I have Firestone FR710 tires.

I saw another 2012 Sienna XLE at a Gas station and it had some michellin tires. I asked the owner if he replaced it, he told me it just came with it. He had exactly same car as mines (no AWD)

I would like to know why tires are different.
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 800
    It is unusual for vehicle manufacturers to source different brands of tires for a vehicle - except where different sizing is involved.

However, Toyota seems to be the exception. They frequently multiple source tires. I suspect it is a fear of losing a supply of tires that match the specs.
  • victor23victor23 Posts: 201
    I basically agree with another poster. You don't even need a Lincoln, much less anything for $10, to say if you have to replace tires, just look at them (after asking someone or googling what to look at). My tires last only about 20k on the front, but my Sienna is 2005, and our driving is mostly city/suburban with a mixture of high-speed highway. As to struts, watch for tale-telling signs, or better ask for a second opinion (but don't inform them about the first one). About half of shops' recommendations are usually bogus.

Having said that, I had a similar diagnosis once. In reality, it appeared to be low-quality tires (not the worst, mind you, Yokohama Avid TRZ) prematurely wearing out at the rear in a patchy pattern imitating that of bad struts.
  • we have a 2010 sienna with 64 k miles on it and we are going to have to replace the tires again we put firestone fr380 in at 33k miles just went to the firestone shop and the firestone rep says the siennas all go through tires at 25 to 35 k miles i dont know about toyota reliabilty but i do know the siennas seem lousy on tires and yes i have roated and have front end aligned if i buy a van again it wont be a toyota mabe i will try the odssey,and dont let me forget to say the battery died around 30k also i have had gm suv's that went over 70k before i had to replace there battery.
  • jprocjproc Posts: 135
    The firestone guy is right.I have a 2000 with 175k and i have to get new tires every 30k miles or so.I also keep them inflated properly and rotated .
    Sienna's eat tires for some reason
    FWIW I have 53k miles on the original Dunlops, but the non-run-flats tend to last longer.
  • Yes, I know, we already shared our experiences a year or two ago. I don't know why, maybe hilly landscape or significant city component of our driving are the main contributors, but I stand by my (and seemingly a lot of other owners') numbers: 20k on the front axle (or 30k if you do rotate the tires), no matter the tire brand (OEM non-run-flat Dunlops, Yokohama Avid TRZ, Hankook Optimo H727), moderate driving style, no heavy loads, no alignment/balance problems, always inflated to 35 psi (cold).

I also mentioned once that my Sienna brake pads are only good for 10-15k. This problem is now solved. It was solved when I reluctantly (and partly accidentally) switched finally from OEM to aftermarket brake pads.
    edited September 2012
    I do tend to do more highway driving than city.

The van's been from DC to Florida twice, and CT probably 3 times. Plus countless times to the Eastern Shore of MD.

Still, very happy these tires have lasted this long, brake pads as well. They owe me nothing.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    Minivans in general are hard on brakes and tires. 25k-30k on tires is not out of the ordinary; Same thing with brakes. The Michelin Primacy on my 2004 Quest lasted 51k miles. Needless to say, i replaced them with the same brand.
  • On my Sienna 2004, the nut that holds the spare tire cable, has pentagonal shape.
    The manual says that the wheel nut wrench should be used to release the spare tire. The wheel nut wrench, which came with the car, has hexagonal shape, so it does not fit the nut.
    Did I miss something?
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,735
    No, you didn't miss something - they changed things when you weren't looking.

Your van came with a spare tire winch that had a standard 21 mm hex head. Problem is people torqued the hell out of this with everything from impact guns on down, and this *may* have been a factor in damaging the anti-rust coatings, severe rusting, cable breakage, loose spare tires rolling free down highways, etc.

So as part of the recall, they changed the head to something non-standard, and they should have given you the special socket in a little black pouch, and tossed it in with the jack. You hook it to the little metal bar (speed drive tool) also back there to hoist it up and down. There should also be a yellow label on the base of the pillar telling more.
  • I have 2013 Toyota sienna base. My tire size is P235/60R17. Can I use tire size P235/65R17? Thanks.
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 800
    Not according to Discount Tire.

Besides, Tire Rack lists 33 different tires available in that size - excluding winter tires - so why are you wondering about changing tire size when there are so many options in the correct size?
  • Thanks for your response. I ordered wrong tire size by mistake so I was wondering if it is ok to have that size or not inorder to safe time. But now I have changed my order and will use the correct size. Thanks again.
  • Looking to replace my set of 225/60/R17 set. Who likes what and why? I don't care about handling, I'd like something that'll last long and do well in snow......without buying dedicated snow tires. Was looking at Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, but it gets mixed reviews in snow. We get quite a bit here in crappy Wisconsin! Any advice is appreciated
  • I've had good luck with Yokoham geolander ATS -- 40000 miles , good in snow and backroads (I live in central PA and use my Sienna as a basecamp). However, Consumer Reports rates them poorly however; Nokian WR G2 Sport Utility (made in Finland, great snow/ice rating) look VERY promising.
  • Dueler H/L 422

If you can wait til January, you can use this:

https://www.upaywhatwepay2014.com/xpVgD
  • ckirkckirk Posts: 18
    I've used non-RFT's P225/60R17 98T on 2004 AWD Sienna for 8 yrs and am very grateful for quieter ride and longer tread life. The RFT's absolutely did wear unevenly and quickly, were rotated routinely, and Toyota replaced the 1st set gratis. Fortunately, I've had no flats, though I do carry a full-size spare, that fits in the well that otherwise would accommodate the 3rd row seat, and a ContiComfortKit. Now in the last 3 years I've had 2 blow-outs(jacks are included on AWD)where I've run over something that's cut the sidewall and I wonder if the reinforced RFT sidewall might have prevented it? I'm 65 now, not 55, and changing a tire on the edge of the freeway is even less joyful. Has there been any improvement in RFT's over the last 10 yrs? Any RFT suggestions? Thanks.
167891012»