Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Tires & Wheels

Comments

• I have been led to believe that every Sienna suffers from this defect. The right rear wheel vibrates at all speeds and does not have a “true” rotation, compared to the other wheels. If you have a second car, you can follow your Sienna on the right side, and actually see it. I have made a DVD of it, and supplied it to Toyota. Toyota and the dealership so far have not given me a straight answer. They say it is just the way it rides, and comes from the road, which they say is a natural phenomenon. They have some measurement of interior vibration that they say is within specifications. I have driven a brand new sienna that had the same feel. If you notice any kind of vibration in your Sienna (chair, table, seat) that seems to come from the rear, I am guessing it is this problem. They have replaced all kinds of things, including the tires 3 times, the rims, the hub, and countless rebalancings and remountings. Now they are giving me a hard time about whether it is even a defect. Changing the tire initially softens the vibration, probably because of the extra rubber. But you can still see it. Aside from the annoyance of an unsmooth ride, I think this defect will lead to premature wear of suspension components.

Anyone else notice this problem?
  • caravan2caravan2 Posts: 198
    This is that noticeable? This is troubling :mad: What possibly could be the fix?

I hope they fixed this in 2007. This seems suttle... as you said, with new tires it less noticeable. Any suggestion how to test this condition.....

People share your experiences... thanks
  • It is subtle at first. Many folks don't notice it....my wife doesn't care. But once you see it with your eyes, you realize there is something wrong.

I really noticed it when I rotated the tires and it became really bad.

Toyota says it is not a defect because they can replace all the parts possible, including the entire car, and it won't get rid of it.
  • caravan2caravan2 Posts: 198
    Probably Toyota is correct that by replacing all the parts this will not be correct. It seems that there's a design flaw.

This is realy bizarre.

As you have sent DVD to Toyota, they must be shaking there head how did this happen. This will be difficult for them to admit it but they must take it seriuosly and come up with the solution for this and future models.
  • ohresohres Posts: 46
    Could you be a bit more specific about your observation, i.e., at what speed range it can be seen the best? I have a big ? on Toyota's explanations regarding on the tire wear problem on my 04 Sienna XLE Ltd AWD. Contrary to Toyota's explanation, the tires on my van show uneven wears that indicate that something is wrong with the vehicle itself rather than the tires. Could you explain a bit clearly on what does "not have a "true" rotation" means? Thanks.
  • kj2005kj2005 Posts: 17
    Like so many others we're having problems with these tires too. I checked online and the tires come with 11/32" of tread new. The minivan now has 21K miles and the tires were rotated every 5K miles. Driving style is Average with a lot of highway miles. Tire pressure is maintained properly.

The problem is the rears now have 5/32 and the fronts 6/32 after 12 months. At 15K miles all tires had 7/32 tread depth.

At 10K and 15K mile service appointments the advisor told me the 32PSI recommendation from Toyota (need to check the owner's manual) should be 35PSI and then 37PSI respectively due to the wear problems. At the 20K service a newer, and apparently less experienced service advisor, told me that 32PSI is the recommendation and that's what the tires have. I need to check them with my accurate tire pressure gauge once they're cold again.

Like so many others this is disappointing that after a year and 21K miles on a $42K minivan I'm looking to get 4 new tires in the next 3 months which would be about 25K miles.

Questions for this group: Is the TSB or other service bulletin that gets Sienna AWD owners new tires gratis still valid? Do I call Toyota or simply talk to a knowledgable service advisor when the time comes?

As for other RFT options I will research TireRack and other online resources to see what the best choices are for all season and longer tread life.
  • I am buying an '06 XLE with AWD. I have read a lot of posts about problems with the tires, and I read the lousy review the tires get on Tirerack.com. I know one can purchase non run flat tires, but where can the spare be stored. Can it be put out of the way like on a FWD model?
  • What would the tire pressure be at 40 degrees F if it is 32 Lbs at 0 degrees. I am not able to keep changing pressure on these runflats as the temps change just to keep 44 Lbs in them. Thanks
  • If I were me (and I am), I would just buy a regular spare and keep using run-flats.

Sport drivers only ditch the spare for weight-savings anyway, so you may as well keep it with a regular non-sports vehicle.
  • Why doesn't Toyota just put a spare in the AWD versions like it does on the RAV4, on the liftgate? It would make the car even bigger, but it would solve a lot of issues. I don't have a lot of confidence in these run-flats.
  • practicalpractical Posts: 53
    I'm thinking of getting one AWD, but all are with RFT.

Many friends already told me not to get them. They have cars besides Toyota. Just checked TireRack.com, '06 AWD tires are not RF.

1> is it very expensive?
    2> possible to get a non-RF on the same rim?

Thanks.
  • mnrep2mnrep2 Posts: 200
    1> is it very expensive?
    2> possible to get a non-RF on the same rim?

1 The Bridgestone B380 sells for $155 a tire on Tirerack
    2 Yes conventional tires fit the Sienna. Not true for the Honda as they use the PAX system from Michelin which does require a specific style of wheel.
  • deepdropdeepdrop Posts: 89
    I have a set of four Blizzak Revo 1 snow tires that I bought from Tire Rack on steel wheels for my "06 Sienna. I'm moving south and don't need them. They were used only one season and are in great shape. Does anyone know of a good Toyota website where I could post them? Thanks.
  • furnefurne Posts: 3
    Apart from Craigslist, you could drop a line to me at crlist10@hotmail.com
  • subewannabesubewannabe Posts: 403
    Will conventional tires adversely impact the operation of the tire-pressure monitoring system ? The Vehicle stability control system ?

My second set ( the ones Toyota supplied free of charge under the warranty extension) of run-flats will be due for replacement this fall at 40K miles +/-. I am trying not to be short -sighted about switching to conventional tires, as switching creates additional issues of spare tire storage, cargo space access, third row seat options, etc. Ive seen someone locally who switched and now carries a full-size spare on a roof rack. Talk about increasing your CoG , adding some horrific wind noise! The hitch-mounted spare adds a lot of weight behind the rear axle, essentially eliminates the convenience of the power rear door . And while I believe the decision to go with run-flats in the AWD is more a space -solution than a safety feature, the number of people killed each year while changing a flat on the shoulder or assisting someone trying to do so is staggering.

I have an additional consideration in that I live on top a mountain and the tight switchback turns while descending and climbing the mountain eat the outside edges of tires quickly, so I know from experience that I will be changing tires every 20-25 K miles, no matter what. The higher cost of run flats will add up over the 150 -250 K I typically accumuilate on my vehicles.

I welcome any thoughts.

Mark in North Carolina
  • practicalpractical Posts: 53
    So it's not too expensive.

1> Is RFT repairable like conventional ones? For instance, if a nail gets into the center of a conventional tire, a mechanic can repair it for $20.

2> For how long a RFT last?

Thanks.
  • subewannabesubewannabe Posts: 403
    The Dunlop insert to the Sienna Owners Manual says punctures in their DSST tires can be repaired just like other tires,i.e., punctures in the tread can be plugged and /or patched. Finding a repair facility that has the equipment to remove the tire in order to do a patch is another story.

In my experience, the less-flexible DSST tire is more susceptible to sidewall punctures due to less flexibility when you hit the edge of a pothole, e.g.

Do not expect to get more than 25-30K on DSST tires, even in flat, highway driving.Much less on hilly, curvy driving...the outside corners of the tire wear quickly and unevenly .
    I've been measuring the tread depth on my DSST tires for 16+ months. We have about 27K miles and finally the Toyota dealer agreed to replace the tires (no charge) after excessive wear. At $240-250 per tire this was pleasant news to me! I only have to pay for an $80 alignment which is okay by me.

I always keep the tire pressure around 35-37psi as recommended and the tires were always roatated every 5k miles.

As an aside we did have one small puncture in the first 3 months and it was plugged like any other tire and we never had another issue.

As I posted many months ago, it is disappointing that the tires are excessively wearing. The dealership did tell me the replacement RFT for the the 2006 Sienna AWD is a different Dunlop tire which has been improved---I won't know for sure until they're on the vehicle at the end of the week.

At 20K miles per year of typical driving on this vehicle, it is still disappointing to be told or expect to replace the RFT tires once per year at a cost of about $1000.

If someone wants, I could take some picture of my old tires before they're gone to show the wear patterns and then provide the tires specs and tread depth on the new ones.
  • jcortneyjcortney Posts: 7
    I just found this forum and would like to add my two cents about the Sienna AWD run flat tires. The bottom line is they do not work!! Very few tire shops can work on them!! They do not prevent you from stopping along side of the road. They make flat tires a very expensive thing to handle.

I was coming home to San Jose from San Diego on interstate 5 when I felt or heard something strange. I pulled over and noticed the right front tire was low. Note no low tire pressure warning light came on the dash. I drove about 25 miles further to Kettleman city exit to look for help after 5 or 6 phone calls I found a regular tire 20 miles away and set out to get there. I only make it made it about 2 miles before the tire came apart and was throwing rubber up on the windshield. I pulled over and called Toyota road side for help. A tow truck was dispatached and the five of us, including my 90 year old mother, and the van were towed to Coalinga. The tire shop had been in businnes for 35 years and they could not get the bead off of the rim. In fact the only thing on the rim were the two beads after 2.5 hours of trying. Well spend the night and get the two truck back the next morning and get towed to Fresno where the Toyota dealer does not have any tire changing equipment but subs out all tire work. At least they had seen run flat tires and used a circular saw to cut the beads off the rim. Next problem was no Dunlap tires in Fresno only Bridgestone so they put that on and we are on our way home minus 510 dollars ($240 towing charges above toyota's allowance, $ 205 for a new tire installed and balanced, and $155 for three motel rooms this was reported to be the best motel in town I would sure hated to see the worst) and we were stuck alonside interstate 5. Since then I have had two other flat tires due to nails in the tread. The first was patched by Toyota and the second I had to replace as Toyota now states that the run flat tire can not be patched, another $270 ( 20 repair fee, 250 new tire in San Jose). On these two occurances the first one the low tire pressure never came on but you could hear the tire and the second time it did come on but not until the tire presure got down to 5 lbs. and I use a tire pump that I cary to inflate it.

In my oppinion the run flat tires are a BIG design defect that does not work and the tire industry is not ready to handle.

I sure wish I had followed by gut felling when I was buying the van and just waled away from it when I learned of the run flat tires.

I was told that Toyota has a retrofit kit for a spare tire but parts cost alone are about $1000. I assumed this was an under van mount but I did not ask that question so I am not sure. I was also told that the first year model of th AWD still had the hardware for a spare tire like the non AWD model.

If this is progress you can count me out. Turning a minor hickup of a flat tire, put on the spare, and maybe a new tire into a $500 nightmare is not progress.

As for the saftey benifits I have not noticed any. Maybe on a blowout there is a little but in 47 years of driving I have had only one blowout. I dropped a tire in a pothole on a curve in Glacier national park and even bent the rim. A spare saved the day. I do not know what you would do with a run flat tire there.

Does anyone know any details about spare tire possiblities on the Toyota Sienna AWD

I now own a van that I am afraid to take out of town!!!!
  • My dealer claims the run flat tires were never used in the Northwest region. Can someone confirm this?
    Also - I haven't been able to find specifics about how the car handles if you just install regular tires and carry a full size spare in the back. I'd love to hear your experience. Thanks!
  • mnrep2mnrep2 Posts: 200
    Run flat tires are used on ALL AWD Sienna's. It handles fine with regular tires, but you then have to store the full size or Mini spare inside the cabin.
  • ckirkckirk Posts: 17
    I didn't know a Mini spare was an option. Would it use Toyota's retro-fit spare tire holder? Does anyone have the Mini spare set up?
    Has anyone used this product ContiComfortKit, http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/conticomfortkit/index.jsp Tirerack salesman suggested using it with Non-Runflats, in lieu of spare.
    The '04 awd xle is our first "luxury" car/van. We've taken 2 >2000 mile trips and the ride is great; less fatigue, faultless performance, very comfortable. We love it(except 17 mpg).
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,019
    A reporter would like to talk to owners of run-flat tires. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than June 25, 2007 with your daytime contact information.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• Thanks for this excellent post. I've been checking tire pressure and tread ware on my wife's 2006 Sienna lease for the last 6 months. The tires are not holding pressure properly and are showing dramatically uneven tread ware. The dealer is not going to be happy when they hear from me today!!!
  • robkampenrobkampen Posts: 4
    Where to start....Purchased new 2004 Sienna XLE AWD in March 2004, serviced every 5000 miles by Toyota service in Orlando FL. Keep pressure at 35psi as typical manufacture suggest too low pressure to improve ride, particularly as RFT has harder side wall. By 16,000 miles the tires are getting noisy and show uneven wear. Get full re-alignment, no difference to the noise, tyre company says uneven wear is the cause of the noise. Each 5000 mile visit to my Toyota dealer I complain about the tires, no action, no offer of help, except they offer to replace them for me at their cost. This works out 150.00 higher than local Goodyear, go figure. Buy first set of replacements at 20,000 miles. RFT are 250.00 EACH! but none in FL, so buy a set of regular tires. Decide to pay some of the savings on a AAA membership for when we get a flat... Approach dealer about options for a spare..get a run around and no solution, no offer of compensation. Time to change dealers. Second set of tires gets noisy after 15,000 miles (35,000 total) - these are regular tires running at 37psi. Once again, pay to have alignment checked, no problems, but car getting more noisy. At 40,000 decide its too much and head to Goodyear for another set of tires. This time I spend about $60.00 per tire (after AAA discount) and decide to run at 39psi. Did another alignment check to make sure. Now at 67,000 miles, no noise, reasonable wear and much happier. Had a flat tire while on a trip last spring, called AAA, delivered car and myself to the local WAL Mart (it was a Sunday) repaired for $20.00 and all is well. Run Flat tires are junk, soft rubber on the tread just wears too much with AWD - Toyota haven't got their act together on this combination, with what is otherwise an excellent vehicle in EVERY other respect.
    You're welcome.

UPDATED as of 30K miles. Ater about 2500 miles I still have 10 32nd's of tread on all four Dunlop SP 4000 DSST Ctt tires and the wear is even. New the specifications say they come with 11 32nds so this seems plausible. Recall, I had the realignment at 27K miles when the new [replacement] tires were installed.

The new tires are quieter, the ride is much better (i.e. VERY noticable), and the wear is even so far.

I will continue to measure tread depth and tire wear every 2-3 months to see what happens "the second time."
  • I have the original tires on my 2005 Sienna LE FWD(not run-flat tires thank goodness!). What are the best performance all-season ones to get for mostly country driving in the mid Atlantic states? There is not much snow here and I let my husband drive then anyway. I have almost 36,000 on the original tires and there is about 500 miles left on them according to the inspection I just had done in June. Should I go up a size or stick with the original which I think is 16? (I'll need to check this.) The roads are pretty curvy around here, but I do some interstate driving. Thanks!
  • jim1969jim1969 Posts: 62
    Are people with the 07 having the same issues?
  • summit1summit1 Posts: 1
    First, sorry for those with RFT issues from earlier models. My question: The RFTs for 07 models (and so 08 too) were redesigned. Are any 07 owners having (or not having) RFT issues? You probably know CR is monitoring an 07 set and so far they've reported normal wear. We're seriously thinking of buying an 07 or 08 Sienna AWD, but I want to sense the RFT premature wear issue is in the past. Thanks.
  • I switched to conventional tires and got Toyota to pay for replacement from runflats since they were inferior and defective. Just threaten them never to buy Toyota again. Ride is much more quiet and smooth without run flat. Get a good road side assist and you'll be set in any case.