Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Tires & Wheels

Comments

• I have run flats on my 2005 Sienna. Getting ready to put my 3rd set of tires on at 60,000 miles. After reading all the negative comments, I'm ready to dump the AWDs in favor of conventional tires, but not sure about some details: Can I still use conv. on an AWD model? Do I need to buy new wheels? Will the conv. tires cause problems with the tire pressure sensor system? How does altering the tire system affect resale (if I decide to sell/trade-in, is the lack of a spare going to destroy the value?)
    Thanks much!
  • mnrep2mnrep2 Posts: 200
    Hi artist, I have a 2006 AWD and made the switch as soon as the runflats wore out. I purchased the mini donut spare from the dealer and my car already had a jack in it. You don't have to change the wheels on this car, and the pressure system works fine since you are keeping the wheels.

The car drives twice as nice with the Yokohomas and they grip in the snow twice as well. You will not be sorry that you made the switch, only upset that you waited this long to do it!
  • Does anyone know if there is a 17" rim with a donut spare? I think my best bet is to get one from a junk yard, but I am not sure if there is a model that would fit the Sienna. I am not going to buy my 4th set in 5 years!!
  • How much was the spare and what car was it from?
  • I have a 06 XLE AWD with 60000 miles on it. We put 10,000 on it since purchase. The van came with nearly new Dunlop DSST's on it and we have just had our first tire failure. The dealer said it looked like a material defect and we should take it up with Dunlop for restitution. We knew these tires would be an issue when we bought the van and we budgeted to replace all four RFT's with conventionals as soon as we had reason. We made the dealer throw in the spare tire kit as part of the deal at purchase. My concern is two fold. First, we did not get a Tire Pressure Warning Light when the tire failed. We have the older detection system on the van which counts tire revolutions vice actual air pressure. The dealers mechanic swears the system is working as designed but can't explain why we did not get a warning light when the tire went to zero pressure. He says he has seen this before on other Siennas. Secondly, is anybody running conventional Michelin LX4 tires on their Sienna and how is it working for you? Our dealer is offering us these tires at $5.00 over cost plus installation and alignment costs if we choose to go conventional. The dealer says this tire meets all of Toyotas specifications and is strongly recommended by Toyota itself. We priced these tires out on the internet and locally and nobody is even close to our dealers pricing. We are giving this deal a lot of consideration, but wanted a some more feedback on these tires before we give the go ahead. I am also going to press them on the installation and alignment costs. Any input will be appreciated. thanks.
  • mnrep2mnrep2 Posts: 200
    unhgoalie: I got the donut spare directly from my dealer. Cost was around $400.00 including the tire.
  • I made the trip to Florida and put 5400 miles on the Sienna with 3 runflats and one regular tire. No problems and the tire light never came on.

Also took the dealers emblem off the back of the car and sent it back to them with a nastygram about their lousy service.

Never needed the tire plug kit that I keep in the car and never had to call AAA. Guess I'll keep it till the whells fall off but the next one won't be a Toyota.
  • madams1madams1 Posts: 101
    Looking for input on a replacement tire for the Dunlops that are currently on our 08 Sienna. The van has 38,000 miles. They look ok by the penny test and drive ok, but just looking ahead. I like bridgestone Turanzas, but have heard alot about Toyo and hydroedge(cannot remember the manufacturer). Any input would be appreciated.
  • ckirkckirk Posts: 17
    How's the conversion going? Any pictures?
  • My conversion was absolutely terrific. Although the gas tank had to be removed, the bench seat that converts into a bed went in very easily -- it is vertical behind the driver's seat and faces sideways. I removed the rear, left jump seat and put a spare, tire chains, tag along winch, etc. in it, and kept the right rear seat stowed in the floor. Yokohama geolander AT/S work much, much, much better than the run flats and alow me to plow through mud and snow in the central Pennsylvania mountains, while being quieter and giving me excellent road handling on the highway, plus 24 mpg on the highway with 40lbs pressure (max is 51; it's an AWD van with 6.9" of clearance). Screens for the sliding doors, a variety of hooks, bungy cords, indoor/outdoor carpeting, and a class III hidden hitch for bicycle rack or 500 lbs capacity luggage tray completed the job. I can now put my front passenger seat down and slide my Tophy 126 (10'6") fishing kayak (which I highly recommend) inside. It's an extremely functional vehicle. Alas, no pictures.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,371
    Wow. What if we plead for a few pictures? I've been thinking of a similar conversion and would like to see other ideas that are out there. The Geo ATS is a great tire...
  • 8 sets of tires in 85,000 miles. Always running bald on the inside from driving with only 5 PSI. Guess what the TPMS (tire pressure monitor system) light would never come on. I have spent more money Quarters and tires. Now I run around with regular tires( not run flat) a AAA card plus a can of fix a flat. The marriage between Toyota and Dunlop is not a very good one, now the public has to pay. Toyota has only greed, not safety in mind. And to think that they use to be a great company. Well just look at all the recalls for Japanese and Chinese company products. IT'S A CONSPIRACY I SAY. Sorry so many people are effected. And what do they say- Buyer be aware.
  • Is Dunlop a Japanese or Chinese company? It is really unbelievable that such a garbage is still on market. I hope Toyota will someday recall their Siennas for their tires, not only brakes and gas pads. ;)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I think Goodyear owns 75%.
  • trsv48trsv48 Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2000 Sienna with the tow package. My questions are:
    * Does the Sienna normally come with a full sized spare tire or a bicycle tire?
    * The manual says to access the tire lowering mechanism from the back of the van. The carpet appears to be very securely fastened. Does it in fact get pulled up to access the tire lowering mechanism?
    * My Low Tire Pressure indicator light is keeps coming on yet the mounted tires are fine. Would a low spare cause this problem?

Thank you for any insights you can give
  • tfeltontfelton Posts: 80
    If you look under the van at the rear you should see a full-sized spare. Also, in the carpet, near the back edge, there should be a small "U" shaped flap. Lift that up and you will see a nut the same size as the wheel lug nuts. Simply use the car's lug wrench to drop the spare down. Bring the spare up the same way.
  • moevtmoevt Posts: 4
    Regarding your low tire pressure light, is it possible your sensors are not installed? Or, are your sensors not programmed?

My light is on also (2010 Sienna AWD) but that is because I am using winter rims & snow tires and even though I bought additional sensors, I didn't realize they had to be programmed at the dealership every time I switched tires (2x per year in Vermont at the cost of $75 each time). Due to the cost, I am just "living with" the light being on all winter.

If you just purchased the car, was the light on when you bought the car?
    That little U is what i was looking for. Thanks!
    I don't believe that the 2000 Sienna (which I think is similar to my 1998) uses sensors like the newer Siennas do. My 2008 Avalon has the new system and the spare tire is included. With the new ones the valve stem is the sensor and transmits to a computer. With the older cars you don't have to program the wheels. I've heard that the car senses the RPM of the wheels; a flatter wheel has a smaller diameter. This means that your spare tire's pressure would not be detected by the car. Make sure when you adjust your air pressure you set the sensor by pushing the reset button and letting the tire indicator light blink 3 times.
    The TPMS with the sensors in the wheels was added for model year 2007 Siennas.

For a couple of years before that I think they used the ABS-style TPMS, i.e. they measured wheel speeds to see if there was a variance in pressure.

In 2007 each wheel got an actual sensor.

That should mean no issues with wheel swaps 2006 and prior.
    as a last resort i read the manual. The previous owner had just put new tires on and on the 2000 there is a manual reset button that needs to be pressed and held until the idiot light blinks 3 times. After doing this all is well.
    You reset with that button every time you put air in the tires.
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    has anyone tried to put a full size spare in that well where the spare sits?? looks like diameter wise it would fit but would protrude below the bottom of the car by another inch to two inches, does that matter?
    I've only seen people put full-size spares inside, in the cargo well.

If they did that, it's probably because it didn't fit under the car.
    On my '98 Sienna I've always put a full sized spare under the car where it belongs and it's never been a problem.
  • tsu670tsu670 Posts: 293
    edited March 2010
    Cptplt, yes, you and Tfelton are correct; the opening is wide enough for a full-size tire and it does protrude down a little.

I believe the newer Chrysler minivans with Sto-n-Go are different. For sure, on the new 5th gen T&C, the spare is located under the front of the van between the front seats and it is a baby spare, even for those with the towing package. In that case, the full-size tire just removed from the vehicle would not fit back in the opening and, as Ateixeira says, will need to be stowed somewhere else.

Also, be sure to note the orientation of the spare tire as you are lowering it out of the opening in the rear. Life will be easier if you remember it when cranking the tire back up. IIRC, the fancy side of the wheel seen publicly faces up. Tighten it snug, but don't over do it.

One final thought. It's a good idea to exercise the spare tire cable once every year or two and lower it enough so you can spray some lubricant on it. There have been incidents where the spare tire would fall out after the cable broke due to corrosion. I'd recommend performing this little task now while, at the same time, practicing what needs to be done in case of a flat tire on this vehicle. All the best. -Ken
  • Hi - considering the AWD 2011 Sienna and wanted to know - are runflat tires still an issue? How expensive would it be to replace them for snow tires?
    Would AWD suffice or do I need snow tires for buffalo NY?
  • nananomnananom Posts: 11
    Has anyone gone a size bigger in 2004 sienna tires (ie.235/60/17) ? What were the results in terms of ride quality and handling? All inputs would be very much appreciated. I'm seriously thinking of doing this. BTW,the 2011 sienna comes in that size.
    I'm looking and the 2010 models were available with slightly smaller 225/60R17 tires.

If you up-size I'd get those, since your 2004 is similar to the 2010.
  • albrockalbrock Posts: 1
    Looks like that spare tire has been problematic. My wife had a spare tire wobble issue and then discovered her rusted wire, which made it difficult to reset tire firmly, per mechanic:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i3CZPJXvtZZ46SY9bcMupivluKswD9- F4M7TG4

Toyota recalls 600,000 Sienna minivans
    By KEN THOMAS (AP) – 2 hours ago

WASHINGTON — As congressional investigators dig further into potential electronic problems in runaway Toyotas, the automaker is facing other safety concerns, recalling 600,000 Sienna minivans over rusting spare tire holders.

The recall Friday came as House investigators said they would hold another hearing in May to review possible electronic problems in runaway Toyotas. The Japanese automaker has recalled more than 8 million vehicles because of faulty accelerator pedals, humbling a car company long known for its quality and safety.

Company leaders vowed to respond quickly to the safety concerns.

Separately, Toyota said its engineers in Japan had duplicated the same results of tests that led Consumer Reports to issue a rare "don't buy" warning on the 2010 Lexus GX 460 over rollover concerns. Toyota responded by halting sales of new GX 460s and conducting tests on all of its SUVs.

Lexus spokesman Bill Kwong said the company was evaluating potential remedies for the GX 460 but it was "too early to speculate (on) the details of the remedy and its timing."

Toyota said its latest recall covered the 1998-2010 model year Siennas with two-wheel-drive that have been sold or registered in 20 cold-climate states and the District of Columbia. Toyota said rust from road salt could cause the carrier cable that holds the spare tire to rust and break, allowing the tire to tumble into the road. The problem could threaten the safety of other drivers.

Toyota said it was unaware of any accidents or injuries. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it received six complaints of spare tires falling off Siennas.

The company said it was working on a fix. In the meantime, customers will receive a notice telling them to bring their vehicle to a dealership for an inspection.

The recall involves Siennas in the District of Columbia and the following states: Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Vermont, Wisconsin and West Virginia.

Steve St. Angelo, Toyota's chief quality officer for North America, said the company was providing free inspections of the spare tire carrier cable across the nation, including states not included in the recall. Owners can call (800) 331-4331 for more information.