Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Audio/Entertainment Questions

Comments

• caravan2caravan2 Member Posts: 198
    Thanks.... now I know what JBL is... it is basically an amplifier... I did not get JBL... to get JBL, I had to get DVD system... the cost was $2K more ....

I agree with you other systems are better than OEM. Only reason I was looking at JBL because I was looking at Solara Navigation systems.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I'm not sure about the source, but what might help is to know that the 04-05 models had a standard double-DIN opening as stock.

The 06 redesign went to a non-standard size, like yours. 07 is the same way.

So you may want to go to your dealer, or a Toyota wholesaler, and get the surround from a 2004 model. You could also try a junk yard, but good luck finding a Sienna that new.

Call these guys up, maybe they sell it (though it's not listed):

http://www.trdparts4u.com/

Their e-mail is:

[email protected]

You're going to have to do a little homework on this project, but good luck, and please share your progress with us.
  • yank_my_chainyank_my_chain Member Posts: 1
    I have an '05 LTD AWD with the same problem. I need to turn the volume all the way up when playing most DVD's to hear it.

Does anyone know of a solution to this?

Thanks,
    Brad
  • seats8seats8 Member Posts: 12
    Can anyone provide a reference for a good audio/stereo/entertainment system installer in the Bethesda, MD area?

I'd like to add an in-dash DVD/GPS/Stereo with a couple of drop down LCD's and a back-up camera.
    Circuit City installed my aftermarket DVD, the store in Rockville.

I'd rate them only about Average, though.

Why? They were a little messy - I found some wire fragments so they didn't vacuum the interior as well as they should have.

Also, they hooked up the dome light to the driver's door rather than to the switch on the dash.

It has worked perfectly and the fit is good, so I still rate them OK.
    I guess it depends on installer to installer. I just had mine installed by circuit city same Jensen 12.1 and did great job. Dome light is connected to sliding doors. I just noticed that when driver side door is opened, rear interior lights are not turned on. Rear interior lights including dome lightare on when sliding doors are opened :) You should go back and ask them to change yours. They have life time warranty on the installation.

I do have couple of issues, one I spotted while I was driving out of there and they fixed that.

I still have one issue. One of the outputs are connected to AUX on the radio. I was told that I can turn it off from DVD so that I can use AUX for Ipod while DVD is being played. I have not figured out how to do that. Does anyone knows how to do that?

I also have them installed two output jacks on the sides of third row so that wired headphones can be connected. With those two, I can have splitters and can use multiple head phones if needed.

This unit is capable of transmitting FM but the sound was little statically on the Car Radio... I have not tried different frequencies. It might be better if you're sitting on the back seat with radio. I might use MP3 player's radio if extra head sets are needed. But there are head sets available on Ebay for less than $40.
    Yeah, they told me that, I just haven't gone back.

To be honest it's not a big deal to me, there was no center dome light before, and everything works, so I don't want to risk them splicing more wires and messing up the interior again.

So that was simply by choice.

They did not wire to the Aux on mine, so I can't answer your question.

Changing FM frequency is easy - just hit the FM button, it goes up 0.4 Mhz on the FM dial each time you press. I think there are 4-5 frequencies it can use, I'm always able to find a clear one. Though on a long trip, you may have to change it once or twice.

There is one headphone plug on the front of the Jenson, so with a splitter you could add 2 headphones easily.
  • msindallasmsindallas Member Posts: 190
    Minor irritation with the DVD player - but here goes -

I have a factory DVD player, and folks listen to the audio through the sound system. When at destination, we stop the DVD, close the screen and switch off the ignition. Now, whenever the ignition is switched back on, the DVD starts playing, and I have to reach back with the remote to stop it. Is there a way to stop the player (or not start it) every time I start the car?

Dealer says the only way is to eject the DVD. This is not a good solution, since when I would like to restart the DVD, I want it to start from its current location. This is lost with the DVD eject. Thanks for your help, - M.S.
    I can see why that would be inconvenient - at every rest stop. And it may take a while for everyone to get settled back in.
  • msindallasmsindallas Member Posts: 190
    Well, not just the rest stops - I have to drive that van to work, too, and in the morning, when I am in a hurry it is no fun looking around for the remote.
    Does it pause if you close the screen?

Mine does, but it's aftermarket.
  • baron64baron64 Member Posts: 41
    Has anyone gotten the satellite radio accessory? As I understand it, you have to have the JBL stereo to get it - which is pretty pricy. Any recommendations on aftermarket satellite systems that are easy to use? Thanks.
    I just wanted to provide some feedback on an aftermarket system I just had installed in my 2008 Sienna LE (8-seater).

After some careful Internet research, I opted for a hard disk-based navigation/DVD/music head unit with a 7" LCD. The hard disk-based units keep all the navigation information on a hard disk or solid state flash memory for fast performance and no need to swap DVD's or use your DVD slot for navigation. These units are generally more expensive than DVD based units, but they perform operations much more quickly.

I went with the Kenwood DNX7100 because it had reasonable reviews and great features plus expansion options. I also added the following;
    -Kenwood Bluetooth Interface, KCA-BT100
    -Boyo Vision Plate Frame Backup Camera, VTL300
    -Eonon 14.1" Widescreen Flip Down LCD Monitor, Model 683 (from www.eonon.com)
    -Generic Sienna Fit Kit
    -Generic Steering Wheel Controls Interface

I had the entire system installed at Tweeter, etc. in Rockville, MD. I did not buy any of the equipment at Tweeter. They did a fabulous job in one day.

The system looks factory installed and the plate frame with integrated backup camera is just perfect. The flip down screen was very inexpensive ($250) and plays DVD's or other video input from the head unit. The steering wheel controls work and can do quite a bit, like change music folders on a USB memory stick.

A real bonus with the DNX7100 is a USB input cable that permits you to plug in any memory stick and play MP3 songs. It has a folder menu on the 7" touch screen. This works great. You hardly need an iPod. For an iPod, you have two options, a $20 accessory permits you to control some of the modern iPods via the touch screen or you can plug the audio input into the Video (a.k.a. AUX) connector. I had a hole cut into the top of the upper glove box and had the cables dropped into it for ease of use and to keep everything hidden.

Everything works very well. You can use the built-in Garmin nav system on the fron screen and watch a DVD on the flip-down LCD. When the nav system speaks, it only mutes the front speakers but keeps playing the DVD in the rear of the van. When an incoming call rings on a Bluetooth associated phone, the entire system is muted. Caller ID is shown on the 7" LCD and you can press a button to bypass answering an incoming call if you wish (otherwise, it answers on the second ring).

All in all, very slick. The Garmin nav system is great. The only downside is the kludgy Kenwood source selector interface. It works, but it's just awful. It seems like a grade school programmer wrote it and then implemented it without ever testing it. It's OK to use but frustrating to think of how good it could have been. Maybe Kenwood will provide an update - apparently this can be performed quickly and simply via the USB interface.

The back up camera is so nice, it should be standard on vans. As soon as you put the van in reverse, the screen changes to the backup camera, instantly.

Bottom line, hold your breath, $1500 for the equipment and $1000 for installation. However, this is a much better system than Toyota offers in any Sienna.
    Where did you buy the following:

-Generic Sienna Fit Kit
    -Generic Steering Wheel Controls Interface

According to some websites like crutchfiled.com circuitcity.com, double DIN navs will not fit Sienna. I think 2007 and 2008 Sienna's have same opening for stereos.
    Both the fit kit and steering wheel control interface were provided by Tweeter, etc. and were included in the installation amount I listed. My installation appointment was scheduled about 10 days prior and the fit kit was hanging on a hook above the work bench when I arrived for the install. The installer said they work on Siennas quite a lot.

Perhaps Crutchfield means they won't fit without a kit that they do not carry?

You can call them if you need more information. The installer did say that the 2007 and 2008 Sienna fit kits were the same.

The fit kit is made of a dark gray platic that looks good. I can assure you that double DIN head units fit quite well. The OEM Toyota unit is double DIN. Additionally, the Bluetooth electronics module and the GPS antenna were both mounted under the dashboard, too. Only the microphone, which is very small, is visible above the driver's side sun visor.
    I should have mentioned above that the Kenwood DNX7100 also offers the following modules which work seemlessly with the unit, I only added the Bluetooth module. I suppose if you live in your van, they all might be nice to have!

• iPod USB Direct Control KCA-iP300V
    • Bluetooth Hands-Free Ready: KCA-BT100
    • Sirius Satellite Ready: SIR-KEN1
    • HD Radio Ready: KTC-HR100TR
    • TV Tuner Ready: KTC-V300N
    • CD Changer Ready
    I'm jealous, that setup sounds AWESOME.

The factory DVD player forces you into the JBL audio package and adds about what you paid to the price. And that's just for the DVD player, no NAV.

FOURTEEN inch screen! You da man!

I thought mine was huge, at 12.1", but you win! That's sweet! :shades:
    Is it that obvious that I am a man?! Indeed.

Anyway, the cost between the 13.3, 14.1 and 15.4" widescreens was negligable. However, at some point the entire rear view is blocked when the LCD is open. I opted for the 14.1 because it was in the same physical frame as the 13.3, meaning when it was open, the 14.1 blocked no more rear view than the 13.3.

With the 14.1, about 75% of the rear view is blocked. I had to draw the line somewhere. If you don't feel the need to draw lines, Eonon also offers a 17" widescreen flipdown which is only $320 shipped to the U.S. I'm pretty sure this would guarantee 100% rear view blockage!
    Not "a man", DA MAN! :D

My 12.1" screen blocks the top half of the rear view. I know what you mean by that.

It's OK, the bottom half shows the road, and who cares? I can always look over my shoulder and/or use the side mirrors.
  • bushawbushaw Member Posts: 3
    In my 2004 Sienna XLE Limited (with factory DVD Entertainment System), there are audio/video RCA jacks (the usual red/white/yellow) near the back seats. I was hoping to be able to use the Line Out of my MP3 player (not an iPod), connect up through these audio jacks and listen through the main sound system. All I've been able to do is get it to play through the overhead DVD player into the wireless headphones. Anyone know a way of getting the sound out through the main sound system?

Thanks.
  • gklumgklum Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Sienna with a factory installed DVD player that runs warm to hot. DVD's are "baked" after I eject them (even in the winter). Anyone notice this with their DVD players too?
    I just bought 2008 XLE with sunroof. I was planning to install 12.1 DVD similar to what I have in my LE. I took it Circuit city and they tell me that it can't be installed because of the sunroof. I see there point. Has anyone figured out how to install DVD player? My kids are really dis-appointed....
  • abitzerabitzer Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a place (other than over priced dealerships) to purchase one 6.5" diameter woofer made by JBL for my 2001 Sienna. Turns out JBL made these speakers at 2.2 ohms so after market shops don't carry. Any leads to web sites would be appreciated. Only need the speaker in driver's side door panel. Thanks.
    I would try a salvage yard.
    What about a headrest mounted model? Twin screens about 7" or so. The kids can watch different shows (one a video, the other a video game).
    There are two concerns...

1) expensive
    2) People in third row can't enjoy it.

I'm looking at a solution installing just installing LCD screen and install DVD somewhere else. The screen alone would be lighter.
  • randsterrandster Member Posts: 3
    Our 2004 Sienna XLE Limited has the factory DVD with that somewhat smaller screen, and when we went to use it the other day on a road trip it was dead. When I press the "disc" button up front using the front/dash controls, a message displays saying "no CD."

Yes, this is after I loaded a DVD into the player and opened the screen. The DVD player takes the DVD and the light comes on, but nothing appears on the DVD screen at all. I'm suspecting the drive itself is the problem as the audio system doesn't sense anything and the other functions (remote locater, eject, etc) work on the DVD panel itself.

1) Does anyone have a hint on what the problem could be?

and/or

2) If this DVD player needs to be replaced, can I replace it with an aftermarket unit and use the same connector/cable? If so I would opt for a larger screen unit, but aside from the connection I'm concerned about the mounting interior appearance after removing the "older" one.

Frustrating!
  • sienna9sienna9 Member Posts: 1
    What Tweeter location did you go to ?
  • jalalhjalalh Member Posts: 1
    I live in Canada and I just purchased a 2008 Sienna LE with the navigation system. Is it normal that the steering wheel does not have the "talk" and the "On-hook, Off-hook" buttons on the steering wheel. Also, when I paired my bluetooth cell phone with the system, I could hear the who is calling me but they do not hear me at all. Could it be that the Microphone is not installed in my car?

Can they be installed after?

I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thank you,
  • hause7hause7 Member Posts: 153
    How do the Sienna's stock speakers sound? i am debating on getting an 08 LE with or without the JBL system. I have then in our 04 Limited and don't want to be disappointed.
    I'm not audiophile by any means, but I think the base sound system is actually pretty good. Give it a good listen at the dealership, but I'm quite happy with it.
  • koadsterkoadster Member Posts: 2
    We have the exact same issue - just as you described. Have you made any progress? If you found the fix, randster, could you please share it with us.

We tried changing the fuses #5, #23, and #25 but the DISC button still responds with "NO CD" and does nothing on the second press. The rear DVD video screen is jet black and my kids are bummed out!

I noticed our previous owner replaced the battery with a non-Toyota part. We found another Post saying that once their battery was changed their DVD player stopped working... curious.

Anyways, we are out of ideas for now. Our used Sienna 2004 XLE AWD Limited came with everything but the RES remote; is the remote required for successful DVD operation?
  • gatorsfgatorsf Member Posts: 22
    We just bought a 2008 Sienna Limited with EVP#2 - JBL audio, Nav, and Rear DVD

I very much would like to add the XM adaptor with full factory control and add an iPod adapter. Can both be done? I got a quote of $500-600 from the dealership for the XM adapter and antenna installed. the local aftermarket place wants $400.

The JBL audio/NAV system has an XM input and an AUX, but the AUX seems to be for an analog miniport on the dash (not good for the iPod). I have an USA Spec adapter for my MDX which works great, but I do not have NAV in that system.

Does anyone know if I can achieve my goals? If so, product recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!
  • tanker5tanker5 Member Posts: 36
    Buy a 3-5 foot wire with miniplugs at the Radio Shack for $5. Plug it into Aux. Be sure to change the setting on the Ipod. Go to "setting", "volume limit" and rotate wheel to max volume. Then the ipod will operate fine thru the audio of the Sienna. If you need to recharge constantly then buy a Belkin FM transmitter and it works great. Try www.siennaclub.org/forums for more audio info. Bob
  • gatorsfgatorsf Member Posts: 22
    Thank you Bob.

I posted on sienna club too. I am hoping to avoid the analog connection if I can.
  • hsmcclanahanhsmcclanahan Member Posts: 1
    We're having a similiar problem. We purchase a 05 sienna about a month ago, and all of a sudden the dvd screen has been going black. I haven't seen the "No CD" . I also had a problem getting the dvd to eject. The system has power. I'm really bummed about this. This is a feature that our kids love and isn't working already. What battery are you talking about? The actual van battery?

Would love any input!!
  • koadsterkoadster Member Posts: 2
    The "No CD" appears on our navigation system screen when we press the DISC button, or when we cycle through AM/FM1/FM2/CD... using the "Mode" button on the steering wheel.

Yes, the battery we were referring to is the main van battery under the hood. Our van had to be boosted twice during transport - once to get it on the carrier, and once to get it off. It was obvious the battery was drained completely when we took possession of the vehicle. We've had it for about a month now and everything is working fabulous - except the DVD seems not to be recognized by the system.

Our DVD player also has power to it, but it consistantly receives and ejects the DVDs no problem. It just has a completely black screen, and of course no audio to boot.

We have a Toyota RES remote control on order. We are waiting for a response from a Toyota dealer who put in a service call to a Toyota service tech regarding our issue.
  • ironchef01ironchef01 Member Posts: 1
    Hi;

My 2000 Toyota Sienna with 6 CD Changer quitted few months ago. I removed the unit but lost it. (TOYOTA 6-DISC AM-FM A56811 86120-0C040)

I installed a same unit from my friend's Tundra. The unit is working fine. My friend was going to install a satellite radio and no longer needs it.

When I plugged in the connectors to the radio/cd, I could hear some noice from the cd changer first (there is power), but their is no power to the radio panel.

I have also checked the fuses, they were fine.

Please help.

David
  • badgrzfanbadgrzfan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Sienna, & when I use the AUX plug for my MP3 player (not an IPod) I am not able to control the MP3 through the van with SEEK, TEXT, FOLDER. Also when I push the TEXT button with a CD in, nothing is displayed. What am I doing wrong, what are these controls intended for? Thanks
  • bsburnsbsburns Member Posts: 1
    How do you get the factory DVD player to play over the sound system?

B2
  • jurisdoctor200jurisdoctor200 Member Posts: 1
    08 Sienna's DVD player is not working. The DVD is in the player and we can hear it playing, however, there is no picture. Also, will not eject the DVD. HELP please! Toyota Svc department is clueless and indicated that they'll have to call the manufacturer. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.
  • kjokjo Member Posts: 24
    Have a 2005 LE with the JBL system ,purchased new and has 49k on it. When you put a disc in, it continually flashes "loading" and never plays. I tried blowing it out with compressed air , but did the same thing. This is the first problem we have had with the van. Any thoughts?
  • akempfakempf Member Posts: 1
    Have an 06 LE that has developed a DVD problem. Whenever we but a DVD into the player I can here what sounds like the DVD spinning but all we get is a check disc error. I have tried about a half a dozen discs and they all have the same message when I try to play them. Some of them are ones that have been played in the player before. I have checked the disc for scratchs and dust but the all look fine and they will play in the DVD player we have in the house.
  • maferenamaferena Member Posts: 3
    I would like to install a dvd player in an 06 Sienna. There are no existing rear audio controls. Does this make installation more complicated? I want wireless headphones, but I am ok with in dash or the dvd attached to the monitor. Is in deck much more complicated? Have I limited myself by not purchasing a van with existing rear audio controls?
  • rambo5rambo5 Member Posts: 37
    What is the low down on installing Sirius through the factory radio? While Sirius is mentioned as a Toyota accessory, I can't seem to get a straight answer from the dealer. I am considering the purchase of a lightly equipped LE without navigation.
    My 07 didn't have rear audio controls and the tech at Circuit City said it wasn't hard to install an overhead 12" DVD screen on my van. It was on sale for $900 installed.

They had an 8 or 9" model for $600 installed.

Mine came with 2 wireless headphones. We love it. Kids are happy, everyone's happy. No more "are we there yet?".

Came in handy last night, actually. :shades:
  • lindaleeelindaleee Member Posts: 1
    I have the same exact problem w/ my Sienna 05. Flashes load, then spits it out. I was told to try a cd cleaning and that didn't work for me, I also used compressed air and nothing. They said the laser is probably out of alignment. Mine failed right after my 3 yrs warranty was up. The toyota dealer said it could run close to 300- to fix. It's a flat rate they charge now. Also my audio guy said the same thing 300- Is your model # 16862? If you decide to buy from a retailer (cd player) you will lose the cassette player. I guess they give you something to fill-in the space.
    Please let me if you resolved your problem and maybe clue me in. I also saw the cd players listed on ebay.
  • akinakin Member Posts: 24
    Is the radio supposed to mute or lower the volume when the nav voice commands come on? I just picked up a Sienna last night and on the drive home noticed that the radio volume never lowered or muted whenever the nav voice commands were broadcast. Is there a setting for this?

The unit must have the capability since whenever a phone call comes in (through bluetooth) the radio mutes until you get off the phone.
  • tanker5tanker5 Member Posts: 36
    Akin
    I have the 2006 Sienna and my nav voice which I call "Little Bit" when she is right is controllable on the setup menu so you can make it louder than your usual volume on the radio. The nav voice comes out of the left front speaker. My radio voice isnot lowered or muted when the nav voice activates. Tanker5
  • forbiddenforbidden Member Posts: 12
    Do I really need to go to toyota for the xm radio install??? Also, has anyone had any problems with the jensen dvd players from circuit city. I dont want to pay dealer prices if I dont have to.