Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Basic Maintenance Questions

Comments

• nmeehannmeehan Posts: 3
    how do I remove light socket for licence bulb on 2003 camry
    My 1997 honda civic,is hard to get shifter out of park,daughter spilt coffee on center consul ???.Would appericate any help to resolve this issue.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    You have to get them from inside the trunk. Pull the emergency release handle (glow-in-dark green) straight off (carefully). Then you have to (carefully) pry out enough of the trunk interior trim panel 2-pc. clips to pull the trim panel back. Look for the bulb sockets, which should now be visible. Twist one quarter turn to remove the socket; then if I recall correctly, pull the bulb straight out.

Installation is the exact opposite.

Take to a mechanic (doesn't have to be the dealer) if you lack the confidence.
  • graffixxgraffixx Posts: 40
    Greetings. We purchased a certified '07 Camry LE automatic. At the time, the dealer changed the engine oil/air filter, and replaced the spark plugs.

2,000 miles later, the maintenance required light is now on and we're at about 30k miles. Unfortunately, we do not have the service maintenance schedule.

What's needed for 30k miles maintenance? and how much does it cost?
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 932
    The Edmunds web site has maintenance schedules for most vehicles.
  • bergyonebergyone Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 I-4 Camry with 126,000 miles. Since it has a timing chain I won't be changing the belt and water pump at the same time. What is the expected life span, min/max, for the water pump? I have had the coolant changed and use Mobil 1 oil.
    I don't think there's a straightforward answer. It could last the life of the car. I check my fluid levels once a week (except transmission fluid, which I do less often), so I'd recommend the same for you just to be sure nothing is leaking.
  • dovandovan Posts: 4
    I just found and joined this forum. Here's my first question. I want to replace my plugs. The manual says I must replace with only "iridium-tipped" ones. Unfortunately I've already bought platinum tipped plugs. Is it all right to use them? The manual does not have the maintenance schedule. I can't find the supplement that has the schedule. When should I change plugs? I only have 45K miles on my Camry. Thanks. -Hieu
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 932
    Maintenance schedules for vehicles of every year are on this website:
    http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/maintenance.do

They're not that easy to find.
    The original plugs are good for 120K miles; I'd suggest returning the plugs you bought for a refund.
  • I have a quick question about oil change for 09 Camry.

From automobile shops such as Firestone and Jiffy Lube, I was often told
    that regular oil's duration was 3 months / 3000 miles and
    Synthetic was around 5000-6000 miles.

Can someone clarify on this information? On Camry's maintenance schedule, it says once every 5000 miles. Is this assuming that I do synthetic oil change every time which costs a lot more? Or is it okay to go 5000 miles with regular oil.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,588
    I see no reason why you can't go 5,000 on regular quality oil that meets manufacturer's specification. That's what modern engines do nowadays. 3,000 mile intervals are not necessarily foolish but seem wasteful to me on such a new car. Once the car ages and rolls over 80K or so, a shorter interval might make more sense.

Unless you are using the car in some "severe service" situation, 5K changes should be just fine.

Shifty is right; 5000K miles is per the owner's manual and is based on using conventional oil. If you're a low-mileage driver, change the oil every 6 months (even if you haven't accumulated 5k miles).
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Posts: 934
    Is this something I can replace myself. The AC knob is still backlit but the other dial is not?

The shifter light is out too...can I do this one?

HOW?

Thanks for looking!
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Posts: 934
    Is there a particular brand I should look for..GE. Sylvania etc. One is out (after 6.5 years). Should I just repalce both? If I replace one will it burn brighter than the other? Thanks!
    The one that came with your car is 50 watt the replacement is 55 watts,replace the 2 and keep old one that is still good as emergency replacement.
  • faz3faz3 Posts: 1
    Any one know where is the fuse box located in 2001 camry
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Drivers Left Knee, behind the ashtray
  • Does anyone have the Torque setting to be used in changing the spark plugs in a 4 cylinder 2002 Camry?
    Plug is 16mm socket, 14 ft-lbs
  • damdoordamdoor Posts: 3
    Hi all, My door locks will not work electronically with door lock switch (armrest of the doors)or w/key to open all doors. I have checked all fuses concerning and all are ok. I have even checked every fuse both under hood and by left knee and all are ok. Everything else in vehicle seems to be working also(cig & aux, and all other that is electrical.) It's probably something simple ,I HOPE.. I can do basic stuff but electronic testing I have never learned. I have a '00 camry CE. Thanks in advance to all.
    Well there are only a couple things you'll be able to do without some electrical knowledge. There are three fuses that are part of the door lock circuitry....check to make sure all three of these are okay:
    - 30A Power M fuse
    - 25A Door fuse
    - 10A Gauge fuse

If those check out okay, then you'd need an electrical multimeter to diagnose it further.
    KIAWAH, Which one is the 30 amp pwr m fuse. Is that the pink square one to the extreme bottom right by the left knee. It looks like a tiny copper thread showing, unlike the look of the other square fuses that have the metallic t showing thru the top. Or is the 30 amp pwr m fuse in the box under the hood. I checked the other fuses and replaced the 10 and 25 just to be sure. Again, Thanks in advance
    It's in the Fuse box by your left knee.

In a column, about 2/3rds of the way across left to right, will be a column of fuses. Going from top to bottom are:
    - 7.5 Amp Turn
    - 7.5 Amp Rad
    - 15 Amp Cig (you should check to make sure this one is okay as well)
    - 40 Amp Def
    - 30 Amp Power (this is the one I need you to verify is good)
    - 40 Amp AM1
    KIAWAH, The 30 amp is the one I was talking about that has no metallic T at the top of the see thru window. All you see is a tiny copper wire in a white plastic piece. I took the fuse out and carefully took the plastic see thru top off and there are no broken pieces or anything that looks out of place, like as if the metallic T had broken if there ever was one on this fuse. Again, Thanks in advance
    Unfortunately, since all of your fuses appear to be okay.....the problem is most likely the integration relay (an electrical circuit board), which for your year is a big 12 pin relay on the "back side" of that fuse panel that you were checking the fuses on. There is a different relay in the circuit, but since your power windows are working that relay couldn't be the problem.

Personally, I would verify all of the inputs (voltages, switch inputs) to the integration relay were the correct values (and the outputs were incorrect)...before shelling out $$ for a new integration relay. Not sure that is practical for you without electrical knowledge, digital multi-meter, and electrical schematics. Electrical items are not returnable, so if you buy one you own it if diagnosis is incorrect, thats why I would personally take it the extra step to prove that it is the problem.

You will either need to get it to the dealer to completely diagnose and fix, or take a chance that the integration relay is the problem and you can swap it out yourself.
  • We bought a used '07 Camry LE (Auto). The dealer did service maintenance on it at about 30k miles. It now has about 34k miles on it. The car didn't come with an owner manual from the previous owner.

Am I expecting the service maintenance required light to come on before I take it in to have an oil change?

Or does the service maintenance light only comes on when we have to do some minor/major service?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    If you know the dealer did maintenance at 30k, what did they do? Basically, the manual says change the engine air filter and cabin air filter, and oil change.

The service maintenance light is just an oil change reminder. It begins to warn you after 4,500 miles from the last time it was reset. I think it remains on steady or flashes or something at 5,000 miles.

I would do two things - find out exactly what was done at 30k, and get an owner's manual. You can find them for sale on line, or just look up the information on the internet (Edmunds), even the Toyota website I think has the details of the maintenance requirements.