Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Basic Maintenance Questions

Comments

• golfnut5golfnut5 Posts: 202
    210delray,

Thanks for information. What you described is what it looks like would have to be done, but thought I would ask first.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Great, glad to be of assistance!
  • jperezjperez Posts: 2
    Can you please email a copy of the picture of the tensioner. I am trying to replace the belt on a 02 2.4 litter engine and can seem to see how to losen the tension on the old belt.

Thanks
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    The service manual doesn't have a real good picture with a wrench to show how to relieve the tension, so here's one from a Corolla. The Camry tensioner (although there a couple differen versions) is a little different from this picture in that the spring position is downward between the other two big pulleys, but the arm & spring concept is the same.

Most tensioner arms have some have a wrench point, which will either accept a 3/8" or 1/2" square drive (that a breaker bar, or rachet would fit), or a molded in bolt head (that you could put a socket or closed end wrench on). I prefer using a breaker bar as opposed to rachet, so you have control in both directions. You don't want the tensioner to snap back when you take the belt off, relax it gently.

2004 Corolla Tensioner
  • jperezjperez Posts: 2
    Thanks. now I see what it looks like. I will try again this weekend.
  • I was wondering if anyone knew the mileage necessary for this oil change in the auto tranny of the 2007? It's frustrating to call a few different dealerships and everyone tells you something different. Some have said before 30,000 - some have said 60,000 - some have said it needs a full flush, and some didn't. The last place I called I talked to two different advisers on different days and one told me every 60,000 and the other told me that oil shouldn't be touched until 100,000 miles and that it's supposed to be a long lasting type like the coolant. Anyone know exactly who's telling the truth?
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    If you read the Scheduled Maintenance Guide, which is a blue supplement you received with the owners manual......you will find that replacing the transmission fluid is not a required change. It needs to be inspected periodically to make sure the right level and color, and if there is a problem then replaced.

So following the guide would be a good idea.
  • I would suggest use non-synthetic oil. The reason is that the synthetic, and non form a kind of gel (bond) after a number of uses, which can cause a gunk bulid up and clog your oil pump. PS... Toyota has had a number of recalls on the V6 3.0L engine without the use synthetic... 5w-30 works just fine save your money....
  • 5000, trust the manufacturer...
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    I think the manual recommends 30K miles or 30 months. I changed mine at 20 months (only 15K miles) because it was filthy. Looked at it yesterday (only 8K miles since new) and it was pretty dirty again. I vacuumed out all the seeds and crud and put it back in. Not sure how quickly it turns gray.
  • nmeehannmeehan Posts: 3
    how do I remove light socket for licence bulb on 2003 camry
  • nmeehannmeehan Posts: 3
    My 1997 honda civic,is hard to get shifter out of park,daughter spilt coffee on center consul ???.Would appericate any help to resolve this issue.
    You have to get them from inside the trunk. Pull the emergency release handle (glow-in-dark green) straight off (carefully). Then you have to (carefully) pry out enough of the trunk interior trim panel 2-pc. clips to pull the trim panel back. Look for the bulb sockets, which should now be visible. Twist one quarter turn to remove the socket; then if I recall correctly, pull the bulb straight out.

Installation is the exact opposite.

Take to a mechanic (doesn't have to be the dealer) if you lack the confidence.
  • graffixxgraffixx Posts: 40
    Greetings. We purchased a certified '07 Camry LE automatic. At the time, the dealer changed the engine oil/air filter, and replaced the spark plugs.

2,000 miles later, the maintenance required light is now on and we're at about 30k miles. Unfortunately, we do not have the service maintenance schedule.

What's needed for 30k miles maintenance? and how much does it cost?
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 924
    The Edmunds web site has maintenance schedules for most vehicles.
  • bergyonebergyone Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 I-4 Camry with 126,000 miles. Since it has a timing chain I won't be changing the belt and water pump at the same time. What is the expected life span, min/max, for the water pump? I have had the coolant changed and use Mobil 1 oil.
    I don't think there's a straightforward answer. It could last the life of the car. I check my fluid levels once a week (except transmission fluid, which I do less often), so I'd recommend the same for you just to be sure nothing is leaking.
  • dovandovan Posts: 4
    I just found and joined this forum. Here's my first question. I want to replace my plugs. The manual says I must replace with only "iridium-tipped" ones. Unfortunately I've already bought platinum tipped plugs. Is it all right to use them? The manual does not have the maintenance schedule. I can't find the supplement that has the schedule. When should I change plugs? I only have 45K miles on my Camry. Thanks. -Hieu