Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Basic Maintenance Questions

1272829303133»

Comments

• shopdog97shopdog97 Posts: 151

**A co-worker has a '97 Camry 2.2 4cyl and has PO401 code for the EGR valve having a restricted flow. I verified this this morning before we left work with my code reader and it was there. This car runs like a top according to him, he got it with 47K on it and it now has a little over 93K. I heard it run and it idles and sounds great, a very clean looking motor. He can't get the car inspected here in Pa. with that light on. He said he changed the EGR and gasket, also the other part next to it, the transducer I believe and also the electrical part as well. He says he cleaned the carbon out of the throttle body as well. He loves this car. I tried to clear the code with my scanner with no results, unless it takes a few start cycles to actually clear it. Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue would be appreciated. Thanks! **

• solaraman2003solaraman2003 Posts: 87

WHAT A TERRIFIC VEHICLE!!! :D

I've had my 2008 Solara SLEv6 for almost 5 years now, and have 90k very happy miles on her.

In all this time with all this driving, the only problems I had were two headlamp bulbs - one HID bulb and one high-beam bulb. WOW. Toyota knows how to make a car!

I suppose I deserve a little bit of the credit as well, since I am very big on preventive maintenance.

I'd like to take a moment to share with you some of the things I did over the last 5 years that could've helped get me to this point. In no particular order...

1.I change my oil myself every 3k miles. I only use Castrol, and Toyota filters. I let the car sit for 5-20 minutes to let most of the old oil drip out.

2.Appx. every 15-25k miles I drain the trans fluid and refill with ONLY Toyota OEM Type-IV fluid. When you do this you can ony get out about 5 quarts, but that's better than nothing.

3.Rotate my tires appx. every 5k miles and ensure proper torque of lug nuts. Bought new Michelins at 49k and they're still holding out.

4.Put Techron Concentrate Plus into my tank appx 3x/4x a year. I've recently switched to BG44k, however.

5.Inspect my air and cabin filters every few months, and change (OEM only) as necessary.

6.Flush out my cooling system appx every 30k.

7.One squirt of WD-40 into all lock cylinders once/year.

8.Replaced front & rear breaks at 49k (still had life left to them).

• shopdog97shopdog97 Posts: 151

Sounds like you've got a great car there, Solaraman! Hats off to you for taking great care of this car and staying on top of things. And look at all the money you've saved by doing these things yourself. Hope you have many more great miles left in her!!