Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Timing Belt/Chain Questions

roh75roh75 Posts: 1
I have 98 Camary and do not know if I need to change the timming belt(s) and water pump, since I bought the car from a dealer. The car has 92000 miles on it.

The dealer is asking for USD 230 to change the timming belt. Is it ok. How do i know i need a new timing belt. I am meeting dealer tommorow for the service.

Comments

• I got 97 Camry, it is about 51000 miles on it. Sb. said the timing belt and water pump should be replaced every 60000 miles, it is correct for Camry?
  • john_fjohn_f Posts: 30
    Can someone clarify if/when the timing belt should be replaced on a 2002 4 cylinder Camry? Many thanks.
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 128
    I think it is time for you to change timing belt at 92000 miles. It's about $50 for part and 2 hrs labor. They asked $230 that is little to high except replacing water pump and other belt(s) as well including in the price.
    You could check condition of your timing belt by opening plastic cover for inspection.
    Make sure that you check their works after installing new belts. It happened to me that the belt for water pump was so tight caused water pump bearing failure after 4 months later. After they changed water pump, then the air conditioning bearing making noise ...
  • Hi,

I bought this 96 Camry LE from a Toyota Dealer. It had 56K mileage at that time and the sales person said the timing belt is changed (which I do not believe). Now, it has reached 60K. Should I replace the timing belt now ? Someone told me that timing belt for 96 Camry need not be replaced at 60K. It should be done when it reaches 90K. Please advise.

Nikunja
  • I have a 2002 Camry XLE 4cyl Auto

Does it have a Timing Chain or Belt?
  • Is it true that when its due to change your timing
    you also have to change your water pump?
  • leonivleoniv Posts: 120
    You don't have to, but it's recommended since the water pump is right there after you take off the timing belt. There's no extra labor involved to remove the pump so you're really just paying for the part. The reverse is true as well. If your pump goes out before the belt, they have to remove your timing belt to replace it so may as well get a new timing belt.
  • gunga64gunga64 Posts: 271
    You may have a chain in that baby. Also
    at my toyota for a camry 2001 says timing belt change at 90k. Dealerships love to say 60k I wonder why hehe.
  • xpfshostxpfshost Posts: 35
    I've been trying to figure out whether my '05 Camry LE auto (4-cylinder) has a timing chain or a timing belt. I talked to 3 different local service centers: 1 didn't know, another said I had one or the other, and the 3rd said I have a belt. The Ask Toyota website:

Ask Toyota

says I have a chain. Anybody know for sure?????????? Also, the salesman at a local dealer said that the car has no spark plugs, but instead has some kind of 'coils'. Is that a load of crap? It is a PZEV, BTW.

xpfshost
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    The Camry uses a chain now and yes it does have spark plugs, but not a distributor, but the coils replace the distributor. He has half of the story and as usual, it's people with only half the information that are the most dangerous.

Ken
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Yes, it does use a chain (2002-05 4-cylinder engines), and there are no spark plug wires or a distributor. But yes, there are spark plugs. This is also known as a coil-on-plug design.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    "...there are no spark plug wires..."

How is the voltage transmitted to the coil?
    ...but there really are no spark plug wires. I'll have to take a look.
  • cam2003cam2003 Posts: 131
    "How is the voltage transmitted to the coil?"

It's called direct ignition. Integrated with the coil is transistor for switching high voltage to spark plug. Probably, there are at least 4 wires to the coil: 12v, Ground, switching signal, signal return.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    I guess your point was there are no spark plugs wires that can absorb moisture and reduce the spark voltage like in the old days, right? That makes sense.
  • cam2003cam2003 Posts: 131
    "I guess your point was there are no spark plugs wires that can absorb moisture and reduce the spark voltage like in the old days, right?"

Not only that, the ECU can adjust timing (advance or retard) or anti-knocking, maximum fuel economy.
  • jodar96jodar96 Posts: 396
    I just had a Toyota dealer replace the timing belt on my 96 Camry at 90K. This was the first time the belt was being replaced. It was supposed to be replaced at 60K, Burt being a non interference engine, I decided to ignore it.

When I inspected the belt, it was amazingly clean. There were no cracks, or drying. I bet it could have gone another 50K miles before it needed replacing.

While changing the belt, the mechanic at the dealership damaged the oil pan while lifting the car. That made me very ticked off. They charge $80/hour labor rate, and don't care to check where the hoist saddle is placed before lifting. I made three visits for one repair. It cost $150 to replace the belt

In 9 years of owning the car, this was the first time ( beside tire and alignmnet guys) a mechanic every touched the car.

Joe
    Sorry to hear about your bad dealership experience. That's why I also do as much maintenance myself. For my 1997 Camry, I had a friend at work (who used to be a Toyota dealer tech) change the timing belt. He did a careful, methodical job.

Timing belts don't show any visible signs of deterioration normally, so you can't base replacement need on appearance.

I hope that dealership replaced your oil pan for free! They had to be pretty far off with the hoist to snag the oil pan. I'd go elsewhere in the future.
  • I didnt get a manual when I brought this car in 2003. It has about 83000 miles on it and I believe the timing belt is the sound that I hear underneath the hood.

Does anyone know when the scheduled timing belt change is for this vehicle? If it helps its a timing chain.

Thanks!
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    If you are not a lead foot all the time when accelerating and do not need to tow anything, the timing chain will last the life of the car.