Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Timing Belt/Chain Questions

Comments

• doggydo2doggydo2 Posts: 1
    recently had my timing belt/water pump (etc) changed at a cost of of $602 out the door and was going to have spark plugs changed but the shop was too busy at the time to do both jobs(lucky for me I think) I took the car to another shop and had the job done . thats when they discovered a small leak around the spark plug wells. my question is can this be because of the work done on the timing belt job? Any help will be greatly appreciated
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Nope. Two separate areas of the engine, and the seals around the plugs on the cover leak over time, 12 years is pretty darn good to last that long.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,647
    Nope, unrelated incident.
  • ho chang the timing chain for camry2006
  • lulu111lulu111 Posts: 1
    Hi! Saw your reply about camry's 4 cylinder engine not having timing belts, is that also true for the 1998 camry's ? Thank you!
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    The 1998 Camry 4-cylinder has a timing belt. It wasn't until the 2002 model year that the 4-cylinder got a timing chain.
  • charly4charly4 Posts: 1
    I went to the dealer and they said that there is no such thing as a timing belt kit with timing belt, water pump & gasket, idler, tensioner, crankshaft seal, camshaft seal, oil pump shaft seal. They will charge each item in the kit separately for the part and installation. Just the timing belt and water pump will cost 550.00 $ for the two parts and labor. I have a 1996 4 cylinder Camry. is this a fair price?
  • kt55kt55 Posts: 3
    I have a 1998 Toyota Camry with about 160,000 miles. My timing belt broke. I called many repair shops - all say that if the timing belt broke, that the engine could be damaged - the valves, or heads (not sure). Drove car about 60 miles, no trouble. Parked at home, then tried to go in town, went not even 2 miles and car just stopped. Told by mechanic that it was timing belt went out. Told that the car had an "inference motor" and that most likely "the vales or head" are probably damaged. If when the car stalled, and I could not re-start, what are the chances that the motor "was damaged"? I have been out of work since 2/2009 and have a son that is 27 that was diagnosed in 2006 with Glio-Blastoma Multi form brain cancer and was told that he only had 8-15 months to live. He went through an "experimental" treatment for 18 months and his cancer is "in remission". We live in Valles Mines, Missouri and he goes to St. Louis, MO every 2 weeks for a treatment of Avastin (new FDA approved treatment for his cancer). I am trying to find full time work (but my son, Jake - needs constant care - because he has seizures) last seizure was on 6/18/2011 - I just need to know the likelihood of the damage to the engine? I can't afford any major work done - except maybe just the timing belt and water pump. What is the likelihood of the engine being damaged? Any answers or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and God Bless,
    KT
  • those shops are lying to you . the 2.2 or the 3.0 6 cyl. DO NOT have interference engines. I just did a 2.2 camry timing belt . labor 150 belt 30 and I think the pump was about 40 bucks. this would be the low end cost but for this price I would do them every day. if you want to know if your engine is interference or free wheeling go to gates website gates.com
  • 550 from a dealer using genuine toyota parts is in the ball park but if you can find a good mechanic and get your parts from e bay (they have kits) or parts stores you can save a lot . watch out for the extras like telling you this seal leaked or that tensioner was bad and you end up with double the bill.
  • 550 from a dealer using genuine toyota parts is in the ball park but if you can find a good mechanic and get your parts from e bay (they have kits) or parts stores you can save a lot . watch out for the extras like telling you this seal leaked or that tensioner was bad and you end up with double the bill.
  • the 3.0 and 3.3 are not interference engines and the 4 cyl is a chain . maybe the dealer wanted you to break your belt so they can say they did a 2000 dollar engine repair . If this ever happens to anyone demand to see the damage or the removed head. when I worked for dealerships back in N.Y. in the 70's . If the repair wasn't written on the work order the customer was not obligated to pay. and all parts that where removed where saved for the customer. this was state law at the time . probably not now.
  • kt55kt55 Posts: 3
    to hobieslug1

Thanks for your reply, however in your message you stated it as a 6 cyl. My car is a 1998 Toyota Camry LE 2.2 ltr 4 cyl. Are you sure this is a non-interference motor? Also, would I just need the belt replaced and water pump. Mechanic said I would have to have the whole "kit" for the belt - I think the part was about $127.00/ it included all belts and pullys? Or maybe they were talking about the water pump?

Any info would be appreciated - I can't afford a whole new engine repair. And if only the belt and water pump is to be replaced that would save me a bunch of $$$. Thanks so much. Hope you are correct about the non-interference motor I have.

KT
  • just double checked on gates.com even though I new it is not an interference engine . If they kit is 127.00 thats a decent price those tensioners are expensive about 75 bucks ,water pump 30 timing belt 25 and up depending on brand these are not oem parts but will last till your next timing belt break . watch out some times the tow can cost as much as the repair . good idea to change the tensioner that bearing was spinning for 14 years
  • If you want to be cheap let the timing belt go and water pump till it leaks but change the plugs and antifreeze get the long life antifreeze from toyota and get the denso iridium plugs that will be good for another 100k. reason for the plugs even though yours are firing good is that after 11 years you might have problems getting them out and stripping the threads they screw into. put anti seize on the new ones . also with the price of gas they will probably pay for them selves
  • take the top plastic timing belt cover off then you wont have to assume . you'll probably also see the coolant leak
  • leem2leem2 Posts: 6
    edited April 2012
    Assuming the timing belt\water pump has never been changed...

Do I really need to change the timing belt and water pump on this car?
    Has anyone had timing belt fail on this model?
    Has anyone had water pump fail on this model?
    Does anyone have more miles on original timing belt\water pump on the same type of car (v6 2002-)?

I know this engine won't break if belt breaks, so it's more of a safety issue for me. But at the same time, I have seen timing belts changed on other cars and they didn't look like they had to be changed - they were tight and looked new.

Please advise. thanks
  • hymandd732hymandd732 Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Camry and the owner manual recommends changing it at 90K miles
  • hymandd732hymandd732 Posts: 2
    Better safe then sorry. A broken timing belt disables your car.