Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Timing Belt/Chain Questions

Comments

• sambo49sambo49 Posts: 36
    Izc,

Not a problem, I believe the message right before mine was a 93 camry. Thank you very much for your reply. I will replace the timing belt at the next service since I intend to pass this car to one of my kids in college and he will need reliable wheels...
  • sambo49sambo49 Posts: 36
    Ray h1,

I will replace the timing belt at the next service and hold off on the valve cover while keeping an eye on the oil level.

I checked the engine again today and could not find any visible signs of oil leaks, just dust and grime acculmulated over the years and 80+ k miles.

Many Thanks!
  • Your response is of interest to me. I have a '99 4-cyl. Camry with 106 thousand + miles and am tempted to continue to defer getting a timing belt replacement. Any way you know of to find stats on the track record of timing belts among Camrys of my vintage?
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    I don't think any such stats exist. For one thing, belts don't even show visible wear for the most part -- they just break when you least expect it.

So, you really ought to have it replaced now. I assume you wouldn't like to be stranded somewhere if the belt breaks, because the car instantly becomes undrivable.

I'd look around for a good locally owned independent shop that can handle the job. Ask friends, relatives, and co-workers for recommendations. You don't have to go to the dealer, who will charge the proverbial arm and leg.

I also wouldn't trust the chain places (tires stores and discount stores).
  • The Toyota dealer sent me a notice that the timing belt should be replaced at 15,000 miles on my 2006 Camry, for $180. Based on this forum, that sounds a little early. Should I do it now or not?
    Are you sure they said timing belt? At 15K miles?

If you have a 4-cylinder, there is no timing belt to change as of the 2002 model year, just timing CHAIN that should last the life of the car. If you have a V6, there is a belt, but the replacement interval is 90K miles.

$180 is a good price, though!

Run, don't walk away from that dealership!
  • 210delray you must be a toyota mechanic to know so much about these Camrys. I thought my 05 LE I4 (2AZ-FZ) had a belt not a chain. I looked at my owner's manual and sched maint book for any mention of a chain vs belt. The manual (under Sevice Specs) mentions the 1MZ-FE and 3MZ-FE drive "belt" tensioner is measured by a Borroughs gauge, but does not say anything about the 2AZ-FE (4cyl) having either a belt or chain. Your info will probably save me lots of money in the future because I was convinced I had a belt not a chain. The Sched Maint book says change the belt of the 1MZ or 3MZ at 90k. I guess I read this section too fast. Thanks for the info. I guess I need a Camry shop manual. Any suggestions on which one to buy for a shade tree mechanic?
  • rubezrubez Posts: 2
    I have a crack in my timing belt and it needs replacing. I have been quoted $550. is this a little to steep?
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    QUESTION:
    Does a 2007 V6 Camry have a timing chain or a timing belt? ---- If it has a timing belt, when does it have to be replaced? -------- Best regards. ----- Dwayne ;) :shades: :)
  • My dealer said my '07 I4 has a timing chaing and that it won't need to be replaced (at least during the terms of my lease.

I would think probably around 100,000 miles......let me know what you find out.
  • ja5573ja5573 Posts: 14
    Hi,

I just bought 05 Camry LE with 30K miles on it. I am thinking about taking this car to have checked at dealer for 30K maintenance. What needs to be done ussually and is it a good idea(in terms of quality of service and cost etc)?

And what is usual durable stuffs that needs to be replaced regularly(i.e. 5k or 10k?)? I will be taking this car out of country where there isn't Toyota dealership so hoping to buy some stuffs and take along. Thanks.

p.s. I see a lot of discussion on timing belts. On 05 model, is it belt or chain? And how often does it have to be replaced?

Regards
    J
  • dreasdaddreasdad Posts: 276
    The 2001 4cyl 2.4liter Camry engine and forward has a timing Chain.

The 2007 3.5 Liter v6 engines has a Chain. The 3.0 and 3.3 liter engine on the SE has a belt.
  • gunga64gunga64 Posts: 271
    I think it is time for you to change timing belt at 92000 miles. It's about $50 for part and 2 hrs labor. They asked $230 that is little to high except replacing water pump and other belt(s) as well including in the price.
    You could check condition of your timing belt by opening plastic cover for inspection.
    Make sure that you check their works after installing new belts. It happened to me that the belt for water pump was so tight caused water pump bearing failure after 4 months later. After they changed water pump, then the air conditioning bearing making noise ...

Just thought I'd bring this topic up. I am contemplating having my timing belt done. But I fear the above happening. I had nothing but problems with a corolla I had after a timing belt change. In fact the harmonic balancer snapped months afterwards. It's almost like let the belt break on its own, as long as non-interference.
  • i met someone who said she had just received a notice from toyota that there is a recall for 1996 toyota camry timing belts. I am the 3rd owner of a 1996 camry so know little of its history of repairs. with 110,000 miles i assume i better get it replaced very soon.
    is there any indication before it freezes up? there is grinding sound when i excelerate. Is this related to the timing belt?
    There is no prior warning as to when a timing belt is about to let go. Even when you replace it, it's hard to discern any wear on the old belt.

Check with a Toyota dealer or NHTSA for possible recalls relating to the timing belt.
  • I have a Toyota Camry (97) I have had less than a year... bought it from a client of the law firm I work for... great car...very reliable...doesn't leave me hanging...yet. I am paranoid that "her" timing belt's gonna go and I am going to be screwed...I went on some website to find out warning signs but then someone else told me when it goes, it goes...you basically can throw the car away after that...I dont want to go that extreme...I'm at 88,000, need an oil change and query whether or not its just in need of a tune up...seems kinda' sluggish at times...any advice?
    :confuse:
  • who told you that (there is no prior warnings to when the belt is about to go)??? If you go on the website: www.castrol.com/castrol/ you will see a site that has "expert car advice" with archived articles and a link in it refers to: "When Should You Replace a Timing Belt?
    Belt replacement varies by vehicle make and mileage. Check your owner's manual for suggested maintenance. Here are some warning signs that your timing belt might need to be replaced:

Rough idling
    Chattering and other strange engine noises
    Difficulty starting the engine
    Even if your car is "symptom free" it's still a good idea to check the timing belt regularly."
    Those symptoms will likely not manifest themselves until well past the normal maintenance interval. When I had my former '97 Camry's timing belt changed at 93K miles by a co-worker (who used to be a Toyota tech), the engine was running perfectly and there were no visible signs of wear on the removed belt. My understanding is this is typical if you don't procrastinate on this needed maintenance service.

Your '97 Camry has a "non interference" engine, so if the belt breaks, the engine will quit immediately and you'll be stranded, but there will be no collateral damage (unless you get hit by the guy behind you). Cars with interference engines run the risk of bent valves and damaged pistons when the timing belt breaks -- lots of $$$ down the tubes.

If your car is approaching 90K miles, and you cannot ascertain if the belt was ever replaced in the past, then it's time to do it now!

Oh and BTW, I did have a timing belt break prematurely, on my former 1980 Volvo 240. There was no prior warning; the engine just died suddenly. Luckily we were on a city street in the right lane and had enough momentum to make a right turn and coast to a parking space on a quiet side street. This engine was non interference also, luckily.
  • I just had my 94 camry timing belt changed and now it has no power from a dead stop even thou it runs fine on the highway and idles smoothly. It ran fine before the new belt was installed what could be the cause of this? Any ideas would be apprieciated
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Sounds like the timing is off a tooth or so. There are timing marks on the pulleys, and when you put the cogged belt back on you have to make sure the timing marks line up accurately.

Who did the timing belt change?