Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Timing Belt/Chain Questions

Comments

• belts do not offer any warning of failure. rough idle, low power oil consumption are likely due to improper valve clearance. i'm searching threads for interfearance motors and can not determine wether this is or is not said such motor. a friend has just had the timing belt break and i've offered to repair the car. i am not a yota guy, i know the worst case scenerio and i'm hoping to throw a new belt on, slap it on the [non-permissible content removed] and send it away. the car is a 99 4cyl. has anyone out there had the pleasure yet? and how extensive was the damage
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Bloody,

Not being a 'yota guy', replace the waterpump while you have it apart.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    It's not an interference engine. I had a former Toyota tech do a timing belt replacement on my former '97 4-cylinder. It's not a difficult job, at least if you have the experience like he did.
  • xbbusterxbbuster Posts: 145
    I have an '02 Camry 3.0 V-6 with 64,000 miles. According to the owners manual it's time to replace the spark plugs even though the car is running great and gets very good gas mileage. My question is what is a reasonble charge for having a mechanic doing the job and should the plug wires also be replaced? Thanks.
    The plug wires should be fine. I'd guesstimate a "book time" of 2 to 3 hours of labor @ your local rate. The cost of the plugs is about $8 each (or so).

So if the rate is $75 per hour, I'd figure $150 to $225 for labor plus $48 for the plugs, plus tax.
  • acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    THIS IS JUST A SUGGESTION.......If the car is running really well, and the gas mileage is right up there where it should be.....I would not spend the money on new plugs. It is possible to go thousands of miles past the recomended plug replacement schedule without any problem of any kind. I have gone to 140,000 miles without a plug change or adjustment. The car started and ran as good as ever for this entire time. If you think you ahould change them,,,,fine,,,just thought I would share my experience. By the way, the reason I did this is because a friend told me what I am telling you...........Good luck either way.
    I always change them myself, and most of my vehicles (and all of my current ones) are 4-cylinders with easily accessible plugs. The only car that was a pain was my former '90 Mercury Sable with the Vulcan V6.

Therefore, the cost is minimal (not counting my time of course).
  • mundsmunds Posts: 3
    Hi All,
    I'm thinking of buying a 1998 camry LE for my daughter the timing belts have been changed but my question is the car has 140.000 miles on it will i have to change the timing belt again at 160.000?

Thanks from the New Guy
    When was the belt changed the last time? The normal replacement interval is 90,000 miles, so if you can verify the belt was changed at that time, then you have 40,000 miles left.

But I'd insist on seeing a receipt for the work done, not just relying on the seller's word.
  • Hello, I have a 1998 V6 Toyota Camry with 101K miles. I have no problem changing the timing belt and water pump at the same time. I was told however to ALSO do change the following while the mechanic is in there:

idle pulley
    tensioner pulley
    cam shaft seal
    crank shaft seal
    oil pump seal front & rear

Are replacing these extra parts necessary/recommended? Thanks!!
    I'd say seals yes, esp. the cam and crank seals.

But not the pulleys.
  • I have 98 Camry with 139k miles. I bought it used at 70k and I've performed only 2 services:

1. Transmission Fluid Flush (once)
    2. Regular Oil change every 3k miles (sometimes synthetic blend)

I'm not aware if the timing belt service was ever performed. I've some cash on me and I'll spend it on maintainence if it's worth it. Also, front suspension has been making a noise ever since I bought the car (especially when it's driven cold or on uneven roads). It doesnt bother me but if its cheaper to fix while doing timing belt I'll do that.

So please advise me:
    1. Should I get timing belt service? If yes, what other parts should be changed with it?
    2. Is the suspension noise mainly due to struts? Are they cheaper to repair with timing belt?
    3. Is there a way to find out if timing belt service was ever performed on the vehicle?

Thanks in advance,
    1. I'd replace the timing belt soon; also the crankshaft oil seal, the timing belt tensioner spring, and the two regular drive belts. You may want to replace the water pump; I probably wouldn't unless there were signs of leakage.

2. I never had this problem, so I can't comment. I do know that the replacing the struts wouldn't cost any less if done with the timing belt.

3. No, unless you know where the car was serviced and if the records still exist. But you're up to the point where the belt should be replaced again anyway.
  • Hello All. I am replacing the timing belt on my girlfriends 2001 V6 Camry. Its way over due. 130K miles and never been changed. Anyways, I ran into a problem tonight while changing it. I cannot seem to loosen the crank pulley bolt. I hit it with an impact with no results. Can anyone tell me if its a right or left hand threaded bolt? Does anyone have some tips on dogging off the crank so it wont turn when attempting to loosen the crank pulley bolt? I was using a low volume air compressor so my impact wrench might have been underpowered a bit. I just borrowed a higher volume compressor tank, so maybe that will help. Thanks for any advice ya'll!

-Ray
  • Daughter just bought used 1987 Camry LE. Original timing belt replaced at 96k, now has 156k. Car was maintained. Replace timing belt, water pump, oil seals, tensioners recommended. Is the 3S-FE a non-interference engine?. Reputable auto repair shop or dealer? Read prior posts and informative.
  • Hey everyone. I know its been awhile but I figured out the timing belt issue I posted above. The pulley bolt is a "righty-Tighty, Lefty-Loosey" I have a tip on dogging off the crank. Get a strap wrench and a thin peice of rubber that can wrap around the grooves of the pulley. Put the strap wrench around the pulley (this is difficult and it will be necessary to have two people doing this) I had best success putting the strap wrench down through the top and holding the wrench with a cheater bar. The reason why the pulley is so difficult to get off is because it has lock-tight on it. Now, while holding the cheater bar on the strap wrench, have your buddy (prefferably someone who is very strong and is heavy) with a strong arm loosen the pulley bolt. This is the only way to "dog-off" the crank. There is no access to the flywheel, and you cannot stick a crow bar through the pulley like on some models. After pulley removal, removal/installation of the timing belt is simple. Unbolt the top idler pulley, take off the old belt. Take notice of the timing marks on the cam pulleys and the crank pulleys. These timing marks must line up with the timing marks on the new timing belt. It is a bit technical to hold the cam pulleys in place while putting on the new belt, but make sure all the marks are lined up. Then replace the idler pulley you took off. Now you are ready to put the other peices you took off the engine back on. Good Luck. ;)
  • Hi, I am new to this board.
    Just wondering any ideas where to get the timing belt changed i.e. Dealer or other repair shops.What can i expect to pay(in Maryland) Is it necessary to change water pump and how much does it add to the cost. I am on a budget. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
  • Are all camrys equipped with "non interference" engines....when did they start or stop?
  • Anyone know that the 2007-2008 Camry use timing belt or timing chain?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    Timing chain.