Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Timing Belt/Chain Questions

Comments

• lol, thank you for your mesagge, i assume door number three is the oil pan? i did take the valve cover off, thats a very interesting way they attached that cover with those big nuts, well now with all the research i have done i believe what happened was the oil pump failed and the engine seized, strange is she didnt mention any noise or nothing of that nature and the oil looks fine but we put a socket on the crankshaft and a cheater pipe,no movement what soever,ive never seen anything like it, i work on mustangs and things like that ,so looks like a new car is in the horizon for her,again thanks for your reply
  • Thanks for the information. I went to have my oil changed last week and I was told that my 2002 v6 cam. needed a new timing belt because it "looked" as though the cover has never been removed therefore they assumed that I needed a new timing belt. However I seem to remember being told that the timing belt had just been replaced when I bought the car(78k). Is there a way that I can check the timing belt.

Also i was told that I had an engine valve gasket that was leaking and needed to be fixed. The car now has 120k miles on it. Has anyone had this issue before.

Is anyone aware any mechanics (non-dealer) in the DC metro area that can do this at a reasonable price....

Let me know...Thanks
  • I couldn't be the one to break the news what was behind behind door number three, now you know.

These engines are in abundants at junkyards, well maybe wait a few more years. I see alot of 93's and earlier models. The model year 2000s Kia's and Hyunda's are starting to show up.
  • hey there, well i worked on the car this weekend and yeah its toast,ill sumarize it in a simple story, a proto ratched,a 19 mm socket and a cheater pipe against a toyota camry driveshaft pulley, camry 1 proto ratchet o, im hoping proto has a warranty like craftsman cause the ratchet has gone to heaven,thank you for your help and input, have a good one
  • Darn thats too bad about the engine and rachet.

This was my second experience with a locked engine in last six months and these were the first in my long career.

Well see it in the junkyard.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    I guess you really have no evidence other than the seller's word that the timing belt was changed at 78K miles. No receipts right? There's no way to tell by looking whether a belt was changed recently or not -- usually when it's time to replace them, the old belt LOOKS fine.

So if I were you, I'd bite the bullet and have the belt changed in the near future. A leaking valve cover gasket is not that big a deal, unless a lot of oil is being lost. It can wait for a while.

As for good independent mechanics, it's been too long since I lived in the DC area, so I'd suggest asking friends, relatives, and co-workers for recommendations. Also, does that magazine called "Checkbook" still exist there? It was sort of like Consumer Reports for the DC area and rated service providers like auto mechanics, home remodelers, etc.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,588
    Oh well, did we fail to tell you that you NEVER use a cheater bar with a ratchet, only a breaker bar + socket? Sorry. :cry:

• rqurqu Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Camry 4cyl Auto, 64K milage, does it need to change timing belt? the dealer told me this car doesn't need change coz it is Timing chain, is that true?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    True, it has a timing chain. Maybe just replace the serpentine belt (probably $100).
  • Hello,

I need to do 90k service for my camry, most of the dealers are suggesting that I should change the timing belt and water pump along with the service. The price they are quoting are in the range of 1000k - 1300k. Please advise asap

Can I do the timing belt , 90k service at mechanic or dealer which one is better. Please note i dont know any mechanic.

Also if you know any good dealer/mechanic who does this for reasoable rates , please let me know. I am located in bellevue, wa.
  • Timing belt change on 98 Camry, if you do it yourself, I can help . What basic tools, knowledge do you have, and engine?
  • I dont have any knowledge about automobiles and no tool at all. I am prepared to go to a dealer/mechanic , only concern is are they reasoble ? or charging extra for t things which i dont need to change.

thanks in advance
  • I have my 99 4-cylinder in the shop; they say it is an interference engine that seems to have some bent valves, in doing some research I think its a non interference engine. Anyway, I believe the timing belt broke: my daughter drove the car to school in the morning with no problem, when she tried to start it after school it turned over (faster than normal and with a higher pitch) I tried about 3 times to start it, with out success. Talked to a friend and he said it sounds like a timing belt, had car towed to shop and told them the same story. Could me trying to start the engine cause the valves to bend? They showed me that the crank shaft pulley would only rotate 3/4 of the way around and not all the way around (that what they say tells them there is probably a valve bent). Does all this sound right?
    No it doesn't sound right. Get the car out of there and take it to someplace that knows what they are doing.

You probably did break the belt, that part sounds right, but it's not an interference engine and with a broken timing belt the valves are not going to move when they spin the engine anyway.

Timing Belt Chart

• Should the water pump be changed when you change the timing belt? Is there any other labor that needs to be done, other than change the pump?
    changing the water pump would depend on the car's mileage I think but I'd probably do it if you plan to keep the car for a long time.

• Should the water pump be changed when you change the timing belt? Is there any other labor that needs to be done, other than change the pump?
  • Should the cam shaft pulley rotate all the way around?
    I would think so. Is the belt broken or isn't it? Does anyone know?

• They said it was broke and I saw a belt on the ground that was broken but I did not inspect it.
  • So, a 4 cylinder 99 Camry is a non interference engine, should anything be damage when the timing belt breaks? Why would the cam shaft not rotate all the way around? Does this mean something is bent in the engine?
    I can't say. It all sounds rather odd to me. Unless something fell down into the piston.

• Hi everyone,
    I have a 99 toyota camry and just got the timing belt and serpentine belt replaced. I drove the car off the lot and almost immediately onto the highway and noticed a medium-high pitched whining sound that sounded almost electronic. It was not there before. When I got off the highway, it went away. I got home and stopped and then restarted the car again, and a pretty intense whining noise could be heard as I started the car. Again, it was not there before. I didn't drive it anymore, so I'm not sure if the noise will be there if not on the highway, but I should know tomorrow. Also, it seem as if it's taking a little longer for the car to start up, although that could be my imagination. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out with this one. Thanks in advance for any insight anyone is able to offer.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Is it an electrical whine from the alternator? If so, might not have a good electrical connection or ground.
  • Thanks for the quick reply! I really wouldn't know what part the noises are coming from- I know very little about cars. There seem to be 2 different noises, come to think of it. THe "electronic" like whining noise I heard on the highway was was not very loud or distinct, but still audible, without having the radio or heat on. (But you can could stil barely hear it) The second noise was different, however, in that it was much louder and happened when I started up the car again when I got home. After reading some of the threads on this site, I'm wondering if the timing belt is just on too tight, but then why the two different sounds, seemingly coming from 2 different areas of the car? ANd why would the noise on the highway have gone away when I got off? Irina.
    I'd take it back to the repair shop right away. Might be belt interference or a noisy idler pulley---something they are responsible for.

• Hi Mr. Shiftright,
    Thanks so much for writing back. Sorry I took a shortcut and wrote you through your e-mail, ( this question was my first post on any chat site, so I don't know if that was the proper etiquette, but to be honest with you, I was so upset and frusterated, I didn't know what else to do ). I took the car back to the mechanic today and he turned it on, and said he did not hear much of a whining. I agreed with him that it was not as loud and distinct as when I just start it up after not driving it for a while ( I drove it for 35 minutes to get to his place), but it is still there. Another problem is that his shop is on a busy street, and it deffinately is harder to hear. Anyway, he told me to leave it and he will check it tomorrow am. He also said he thinks the problem is the serpentine belt he also put in and "Deffinatly NOT the timing belt." I asked why , he said that there is absolutely nothing that can be wrong with the timing belt. I asked him if it could be on too tight ( I had learned that yesterday by reading the site and was quite pleased with my question) and he said that was impossible because there are " numbers" that tell you how tight to make it. It really doesn't sound right to me, after reading some other member's writings. Another thing I asked him, and something I think is pretty crucial, is why the car is taking longer to start-it is turning over much longer than before the belt was put in. His only response was that he didn't know and he'll talk to me tomorrow. I'm hoping to get some good news tomorrow, and hope that the mechanic, who I think is a pretty honest guy ( although I haven't ben going to him for very long) will be upfront with me. I'll write an update tomorrow and hopefully it will be good news. Anyway, thanks again for your ideas- I will have to google "belt interference" and "noisy idler pulley" to find out what that is so I at least would be able to ask him about it if he tells me again nothing is wrong. Have a great night and a good weekend, Irina.
    PS Sorry again if this is considered too long of a post, like I said, I'm really just learning the ropes of this "chat stuff" and am just a long whinded talker in real life.
    Well it sounds like checking further into the serpentine belt could be a good idea.

• cobealcobeal Posts: 1
    I came here hoping to see something useful re: a procedure I am about to do.
    HOWEVER I can not help but notice that several posts claim timing chains never wear out. Have they managed to create metal that does not wear? I know that the time interval is removed with metal but what about actual use?

Many years ago I was in the business of auto repair. In those days we used to figure that every GM vehicle would blow a timing chain between 90,000 and 120,000 miles without fail.
    There were experiments with timing gears made of nylon or some plastic (which creates a time interval for replacement) or harder metals that some claimed caused noise.

Any which way you looked at it, something always wore out and required replacement.

The timing belt was an interesting innovation in that it introduced a predictability factor and replacement was factored into the service schedule instead of requiring the opinion of experience to advise on avoiding the use of a vehicle without warning.

Those old engines used to overrun the gears on shut down. It was very common for a worn chain and or gears to suddenly allow the chain to slip instead of it breaking. A person might go to the grocery store and return to a vehicle that either would not start or one that was firing just as the valves were opening.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    I wouldn't say they never wear out, but they will go WELL over 150k miles as long as you've been good with regular oil changes. I know I've read many posts of 200k+ miles with the original timing belt. In fact, I cannot remember reading about any breaking or slipping on Toyotas. But, yes, they will eventually wear out.