Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Timing Belt/Chain Questions

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,528
    No. Best thing to do is replace the belt and do a compression test. I don't think either the 4 or 6 cylinder engines in your car are the interference type, so you should be okay. However, you can break various pulleys and tensioners, so those need careful inspection, as does your water pump which may be ready for replacement.

• Does anybody happen to know if 2011 Camry has a timing belt or timing chain?

Thanks..
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    edited September 2010
    The 2007's, both the 4 and 6 cylinders, were chains. Can't speak definitively to 2011's.

They used to be belts many years ago. The 4 cylinder was first to shift to a chain.
  • As you have read above, I have the same factory belt that was on the car when we bought it at 17k miles. Should I change it? How about the alternator belt? What is a good price for a automatic transimission fluid change, too? Thanks!
  • jimbo92jimbo92 Posts: 20
    I have a 2000 camry ce,4cyl,63k miles,wondering if Ishould have the timing belt changed and where is the best place to have it done.Also approx. cost,what about the water pump,any feedback will be appreciated.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    I believe the change interval is at least 90,000 miles on your car, so I wouldn't bother with it now. Some may disagree, saying 11 years of use may necessitate a change. I wouldn't change the water pump either, but the flip side says to replace it while the mechanic is "in there" already.

I recommend using a well-regarded independent shop, and the cost will vary greatly depending on where you live. I'd say to expect paying at least $300, not including the water pump, but this can easily be doubled in a major metro area.
  • jimbo92jimbo92 Posts: 20
    thanks delRay,live in los angeles,maintainance book says 7years or 90000 miles,whichever comes first.Have seen dealer service coupon for timing belt change for $209.am sure they will double or triple that after they open it up,saying its required to change other parts too.Still trying to put it back for later.thanks.
    Read that service coupon closer. I don't think anyone can do a 'timing' belt change for 200 bucks.

Maybe a serpentine belt for 200, which parts would cost maybe 30 bucks and 10 minutes of time.
  • thanks for the input,timing belt is 229 plus tax.I called the dealer today,servive adviser said to do the water pump would be another 400 plus 20 for the coolant,so thats 650 plus tax,for timing belt and water pump.I called another toyota dealer in gardena and he quoted me 664 plus tax for timing belt and water pump.expensive.To do an oil seal to this will probably add another 300.11 year old car.
  • Am thinking of changing timing belt,bought timing belt from dealer,is it normal for it not to have any timing marks,or should I go return it.
    Some belts have 'em, some don't but it really shouldn't matter. Some have an arrow to guide you about rotation of the engine, but I'm not sure that's even necessary. it's the marks on the engine and pulleys that count here.

This is not a do it yourself, if you have not worked on engines before. You'll end up with a vegetable.
  • Thanks Mr Shiftright for that information,appreciate it.
  • dano51dano51 Posts: 10
    I have a 2006 Toyota XLE 6cyl.with 41,000 I change the oil and filter and keep up with the work to prevent problems so fa so good.I read so much about changing the timing belt at what mileage do you recommend?
    Thanks
    Dano
  • rxanandrxanand Posts: 24
    As it happens, I just took my 2005 Camry XLE V6 to the dealer today for the 90000 mile service. The service manual clearly says that the timing belt has to be changed for Camrys with 1MZ-FE or 3MZ-FE engines but surprisingly the guy at the service desk did not mention it - I had to remind him about this. Since these are interference engines, I would definitely recommend changing the timing belt.
  • dano51dano51 Posts: 10
    I dont have a manual Do you know what the recmmended mileage they state.

Thanks
    Dano
    According to the "Scheduled Maintenance Guide" for the 2005 Camry (this is not the user manual) the timing belt ought to be changed at 90,000 miles or 108 months

90,000 Miles or 108 Months

Replace engine oil and oil filter1
    Rotate tires (except MR2 Spyder)
    Replace cabin air filter (Camry and Camry Solara)
    Replace engine air filter
    Replace spark plugs (ECHO)
    Replace timing belt (Camry with 1MZ-FE or 3MZ-FE, Camry Solara with
    3MZ-FE, Sienna)
  • sparky61sparky61 Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    I have a 2003 Camry LE with 90,000 miles. The engine discription "4-cyl., 2.4 liter Disp.,V VT-1, DOHC, EFI engine, 4-speed ECT Automatic Transmission. It runs fine. Should the timing belt be replaced?
    Thanks
    Only the six cylinder engines have timing belts. If you have a four cylinder engine, nothing to worry about.
  • roxy405roxy405 Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 4cyl Camry. Do I need to change the serpentine belt at 70K miles? Is this good maintenance or is it simply unnecessary?
  • doggydo2doggydo2 Posts: 1
    recently had my timing belt/water pump (etc) changed at a cost of of $602 out the door and was going to have spark plugs changed but the shop was too busy at the time to do both jobs(lucky for me I think) I took the car to another shop and had the job done . thats when they discovered a small leak around the spark plug wells. my question is can this be because of the work done on the timing belt job? Any help will be greatly appreciated
    Nope. Two separate areas of the engine, and the seals around the plugs on the cover leak over time, 12 years is pretty darn good to last that long.
    Nope, unrelated incident.

• ho chang the timing chain for camry2006
  • lulu111lulu111 Posts: 1
    Hi! Saw your reply about camry's 4 cylinder engine not having timing belts, is that also true for the 1998 camry's ? Thank you!
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    The 1998 Camry 4-cylinder has a timing belt. It wasn't until the 2002 model year that the 4-cylinder got a timing chain.
  • charly4charly4 Posts: 1
    I went to the dealer and they said that there is no such thing as a timing belt kit with timing belt, water pump & gasket, idler, tensioner, crankshaft seal, camshaft seal, oil pump shaft seal. They will charge each item in the kit separately for the part and installation. Just the timing belt and water pump will cost 550.00 $ for the two parts and labor. I have a 1996 4 cylinder Camry. is this a fair price?
  • kt55kt55 Posts: 3
    I have a 1998 Toyota Camry with about 160,000 miles. My timing belt broke. I called many repair shops - all say that if the timing belt broke, that the engine could be damaged - the valves, or heads (not sure). Drove car about 60 miles, no trouble. Parked at home, then tried to go in town, went not even 2 miles and car just stopped. Told by mechanic that it was timing belt went out. Told that the car had an "inference motor" and that most likely "the vales or head" are probably damaged. If when the car stalled, and I could not re-start, what are the chances that the motor "was damaged"? I have been out of work since 2/2009 and have a son that is 27 that was diagnosed in 2006 with Glio-Blastoma Multi form brain cancer and was told that he only had 8-15 months to live. He went through an "experimental" treatment for 18 months and his cancer is "in remission". We live in Valles Mines, Missouri and he goes to St. Louis, MO every 2 weeks for a treatment of Avastin (new FDA approved treatment for his cancer). I am trying to find full time work (but my son, Jake - needs constant care - because he has seizures) last seizure was on 6/18/2011 - I just need to know the likelihood of the damage to the engine? I can't afford any major work done - except maybe just the timing belt and water pump. What is the likelihood of the engine being damaged? Any answers or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and God Bless,
    KT
  • those shops are lying to you . the 2.2 or the 3.0 6 cyl. DO NOT have interference engines. I just did a 2.2 camry timing belt . labor 150 belt 30 and I think the pump was about 40 bucks. this would be the low end cost but for this price I would do them every day. if you want to know if your engine is interference or free wheeling go to gates website gates.com