Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Timing Belt/Chain Questions

Comments

• So, a 4 cylinder 99 Camry is a non interference engine, should anything be damage when the timing belt breaks? Why would the cam shaft not rotate all the way around? Does this mean something is bent in the engine?
  • I can't say. It all sounds rather odd to me. Unless something fell down into the piston.
  • Hi everyone,
    I have a 99 toyota camry and just got the timing belt and serpentine belt replaced. I drove the car off the lot and almost immediately onto the highway and noticed a medium-high pitched whining sound that sounded almost electronic. It was not there before. When I got off the highway, it went away. I got home and stopped and then restarted the car again, and a pretty intense whining noise could be heard as I started the car. Again, it was not there before. I didn't drive it anymore, so I'm not sure if the noise will be there if not on the highway, but I should know tomorrow. Also, it seem as if it's taking a little longer for the car to start up, although that could be my imagination. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out with this one. Thanks in advance for any insight anyone is able to offer.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Is it an electrical whine from the alternator? If so, might not have a good electrical connection or ground.
  • Thanks for the quick reply! I really wouldn't know what part the noises are coming from- I know very little about cars. There seem to be 2 different noises, come to think of it. THe "electronic" like whining noise I heard on the highway was was not very loud or distinct, but still audible, without having the radio or heat on. (But you can could stil barely hear it) The second noise was different, however, in that it was much louder and happened when I started up the car again when I got home. After reading some of the threads on this site, I'm wondering if the timing belt is just on too tight, but then why the two different sounds, seemingly coming from 2 different areas of the car? ANd why would the noise on the highway have gone away when I got off? Irina.
  • I'd take it back to the repair shop right away. Might be belt interference or a noisy idler pulley---something they are responsible for.
  • Hi Mr. Shiftright,
    Thanks so much for writing back. Sorry I took a shortcut and wrote you through your e-mail, ( this question was my first post on any chat site, so I don't know if that was the proper etiquette, but to be honest with you, I was so upset and frusterated, I didn't know what else to do ). I took the car back to the mechanic today and he turned it on, and said he did not hear much of a whining. I agreed with him that it was not as loud and distinct as when I just start it up after not driving it for a while ( I drove it for 35 minutes to get to his place), but it is still there. Another problem is that his shop is on a busy street, and it deffinately is harder to hear. Anyway, he told me to leave it and he will check it tomorrow am. He also said he thinks the problem is the serpentine belt he also put in and "Deffinatly NOT the timing belt." I asked why , he said that there is absolutely nothing that can be wrong with the timing belt. I asked him if it could be on too tight ( I had learned that yesterday by reading the site and was quite pleased with my question) and he said that was impossible because there are " numbers" that tell you how tight to make it. It really doesn't sound right to me, after reading some other member's writings. Another thing I asked him, and something I think is pretty crucial, is why the car is taking longer to start-it is turning over much longer than before the belt was put in. His only response was that he didn't know and he'll talk to me tomorrow. I'm hoping to get some good news tomorrow, and hope that the mechanic, who I think is a pretty honest guy ( although I haven't ben going to him for very long) will be upfront with me. I'll write an update tomorrow and hopefully it will be good news. Anyway, thanks again for your ideas- I will have to google "belt interference" and "noisy idler pulley" to find out what that is so I at least would be able to ask him about it if he tells me again nothing is wrong. Have a great night and a good weekend, Irina.
    PS Sorry again if this is considered too long of a post, like I said, I'm really just learning the ropes of this "chat stuff" and am just a long whinded talker in real life.
  • Well it sounds like checking further into the serpentine belt could be a good idea.
  • cobealcobeal Posts: 1
    I came here hoping to see something useful re: a procedure I am about to do.
    HOWEVER I can not help but notice that several posts claim timing chains never wear out. Have they managed to create metal that does not wear? I know that the time interval is removed with metal but what about actual use?

Many years ago I was in the business of auto repair. In those days we used to figure that every GM vehicle would blow a timing chain between 90,000 and 120,000 miles without fail.
    There were experiments with timing gears made of nylon or some plastic (which creates a time interval for replacement) or harder metals that some claimed caused noise.

Any which way you looked at it, something always wore out and required replacement.

The timing belt was an interesting innovation in that it introduced a predictability factor and replacement was factored into the service schedule instead of requiring the opinion of experience to advise on avoiding the use of a vehicle without warning.

Those old engines used to overrun the gears on shut down. It was very common for a worn chain and or gears to suddenly allow the chain to slip instead of it breaking. A person might go to the grocery store and return to a vehicle that either would not start or one that was firing just as the valves were opening.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    I wouldn't say they never wear out, but they will go WELL over 150k miles as long as you've been good with regular oil changes. I know I've read many posts of 200k+ miles with the original timing belt. In fact, I cannot remember reading about any breaking or slipping on Toyotas. But, yes, they will eventually wear out.
  • wenkerkkwenkerkk Posts: 1
    i have a 93 toyota camry i didnt have any problems with it now since ive gotten the timing belt put on it has a problem with starting up the so call mechanic who did the job said i needed a ignition coil now i also had a major tune-up done after the timing belt does anyone know out there could this really be the problem or did the mechanic do the timing right? please help its causing me too much money!
  • hjazim13hjazim13 Posts: 1
    Dear collogues:
    You must differentiate between “Drive Belts, Timing Belts & Timing Chain.
    As each one of them means different thing
    As follows:

1- Drive Belts are the external forward belts those drive the FWD accessories like generator, cooling fans, air-condition compressor, etc.
    2- Timing Belts same as Timing Chain except they are made from Serpentine rubber Belts.
    3- Timing Chain same as Timing Belts except they are made from durable metals.
    4- Both Timing Chain & Timing Belts work internally.
    5- So your car either has Timing Chain or Timing Belts.
    6- DON’T confuse your self between Timing Chain & Timing Belts.
    7- Timing Chain last very long time as long as you replace your oil
    regularly at least every 5000 KMs.

Best Regards.
    HjaziM13
  • I have a 93 Camry V6 and it has a start-up of about 3-5 sec., cold. I read a post about the idle valve could be dirty. Also I notice one of the sensor at the coolant outlet by the throttle will make start up difficult if I disconnect it. I think it sends a signal to the cold start injector.This sensor makes it idle too fast too long after start-up.Maybe for for about 5min with outside temp 40-60 degrees on my Camry.I hope to change it soon and see the start-up time change to 1-2 sec.

On timing issues, the car would run rough if not done correctly. Correctly, being out of time. I doubt that, but these cars don't really have any tune-up items. I would think a new set of plug wires and some plugs, and cleaning of the throttle plate with alcohol. That's my major tune up.
  • hvtec2002hvtec2002 Posts: 19
    I replaced the timing belt on my civic 01 when it was 107000 kms and replaced the new engine when it was 176000 kms because all the rod bearing and main bearing were bad.

How long will the timing chain last on these new camry and what will be the cost to replace them?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    A long, long time - 150-200K miles easily if the oil is changed regularly.
  • bookman3bookman3 Posts: 1
    selling my car never got belt (chain?) replace 142k -what should it cost to get this done - car works fine - should I avoid issue of getting it done?
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    do you have the I-4 cylinder, or the V- 6 cylinder?
  • At 86,000 miles I had the timing belt replaced on my 2001 Camry V6, as part of general maintenance. The invoice noted that timing belt tensioner bolt froze, and needed to be removed to replace the timing belt, The technician noted "can't heat bolt, so cut bolt, drilled out bolt, retap threads and installed new bolts."

After driving the car for 2600 miles, it died and had to be towed to the dealership that did the original job. They said they found a "failed crank sensor" which they replaced. The invoice said the following were also replaced: tensioner assembly for the timing belt, thread insert, and bolt.

Do you think the original job was not done correctly or is it just a coincidence that what was fixed the second time had do do with the timing belt.

Thanks in advance for your response.
  • leeyokoleeyoko Posts: 1
    its definitely not a coincident for one you do not cut a bolt because its froze you put penetration oil on it and then put a breaker bar on it and it will brake it loose or it will snap the bolt you really have no way to cut the bolt with the tensioner on. they probably cross threaded it when they where putting it on and then did a sloppy job rethreading it so the bolt didn't hold and the tensioner comes off gets rapped up and takes out the crank sensor I would definitely get a refund they do not know what there doing sue them for the damages there's to many lousy mechanics out there that charge for there own screw ups.
  • kth713kth713 Posts: 1
    I have a 97 camry and was driving friday and heard a noise coming from the engine it sounded like something clanging around inside, after driving a little way it sounded like whatever it was broke. I am assuming it is the timing belt that broke. I pulled over and opened the hood and looked underneath the car and noticed it was leaking fluid. My AAA driver told me it was anti-freeze that was leaking. could a broken timing belt cause the water pump to get damaged? A reply would be greatly appreciated. Oh yea I have 122,000 miles on the car. If I try starting the car it won't start and I get that same noise and it will start to leak anti-freeze.