Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala: Meet the Owners

Comments

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    Last week, Edmunds rolled out new pricing pages. Along with this is a new "consumer ratings & reviews". This functionality lives in the "consumer opinions" area of the new vehicle detail page, and allows users to rate a vehicle on a number of different criteria (1 to 10 scale), as well as add his/her own free-form comments.

If you have some time, we would really appreciate Town Hall members writing a review of their current auto, or a favorite make/model. It takes approximately a week for your review to appear on that make/model.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• norbnancynorbnancy Posts: 118
    I also have a black Impala LS. The paint is not thin and should not be as night owl stated. Sometimes when a car is buffed out the buffing compound builds up and looks like thin paint because the compound looks like gray primer. Try taking a little polish to the gray in an inconspicuous place. If the gray area gets larger , you have thin paint. If not, you have a compound build up. If the gray area gets larger showing thin paint, it need painting anyway. If the dealer refuses to paint it, call Chevrolet customer service at 1 800 1020. They will help you. Enjoy the ride.
  • bsappbsapp Posts: 21
    I have a new 2002 Impala LS in Bronzemist. After a disastrous three months with a 2002 Nissan Altima (highly overrated) I decided to trade it at somewhat a loss for the Impala. I am very pleased so far with my car. It is fully loaded with sunroof but has cloth seating. I especially like the rarely seen color. The salesman told me when my car came in, everyone gathered around to look it over because they had not seen this particular color Impala before. It's smooth, quiet and comfortable and has many features that makes it in my opinion, one of the best values for the money. Initially, I was going to purchase the base model and option it with the 3800, sunroof, Onstar and other essentials. A dealer search produced several units with all of these options except Onstar. My salesman informed me to think about the LS and I'm glad he did as it wasn't that much a difference pricewise after the base model is loaded up with options. I have had the car about four months now and it has 2,600 miles on the odometer. I haven't had any problems with the car and would like to think this one will be a keeper.

Bill Sapp
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Posts: 870
    What's your story with the Altima? My wife will be in the market soon for a slighly-smaller-than-an-Impala sedan in the near future; Altima is on our list - it'd be nice to hear from an Impala owner how you'd compare the Altima.
  • martyv1martyv1 Posts: 21
    HI All - I presently own a 1995 Lumina with 139,000+ miles. Looking to replace it. Drove both the Impala std and LS - like the 3.8L V6. LS felt like a better ride than the Lumina while the Impala Std. felt worse than the Lumina (mushy ride). I do 80+ miles/day. Like the big car quiet ride. Am thinking of a used Impala LS 2000+ model year with under 30,000 miles as opposed to a new one. Save the $$$. Is this a good idea? any pointers on warranty or features, price? Don't need top end model either.

I am concerned about used vehicles and Chevy burning oil - Luminia needed valve job at 120,000. Been burning oil since 32,000 but dealer said that was normal - lol.
  • bh0001bh0001 Posts: 340
    I had a '98 Lumina LS for 3 years/75000miles. I really liked that car. Then I got a 2001 Impala LS - and I promptly forgot all about my Lumina. The Impala is far and away a superior car. Power, handling, braking, and comfort are all better in the Impala. I recently drove a base Impala and I agree with your comment on the ride - too mushy. The LS is much better.

Go with an LS and you'll be happy. I'm one of those anal people who likes to get brand new cars so my opinion on new vs. used will be totally skewed.

Good luck!
    Brad
    I drive a 2000 Impala base model with the 3.8 liter engine - which might be a good option for you, if you can find one (all the funtional goodies of the LS, but without the visual doo-dads). I might also suggest you look for a 2001 model (or at least a later 2000 model), as there were a few tweaks made after the initial year (mostly minor things like the drink holders on the front bench seats, but also more critical stuff like strengthening the welds on the aluminum engine cradle). They also improved the amp on the better stereo in 2001; the amp on the 2000 model actually seems to retard the sound for some reason.

Somewhere on the driver's door there's a sticker that shows the build month/year. We used to have sort of an unofficial date of Dec. 99 or so that we suggested avoiding anything made before - basically if you're going to get a '00 model, get one made as late in 2000 as possible - otherwise, any 2001 should be fine.

But if you could find a 2000 model in Auburn Nightmist, as far as I know you'd be the only person posting here who ever had one in that color. By far the rarest color (only used on 2000 models), and odds are it wouldn't be a hot seller as a used car either.
    Thanks nosirrahg for the info on the build of the car and other refinements of the 2001 over the 2000. I will hopefully find a reasonably priced one. Last dealer I went to said"...well we only have 3 Impalas left "...(all dealers seem to stock only 3 top end models)..."I don't know if we can waste time looking for one for you..."

Ha, like what else does he have to do all day - after all he is a car salesman. Geez - I am starting my internet search for model I want and a dealer who wants to sell cars not play sales games.
    OK so I found a "fully Loaded" 2002 Impala LS with 8,000+ miles on it. $20, 995. Salesman said it had a 39mo./39000 mile GM warranty on it. Lease return "the guy couldn't make his payments".

Also found a 2000 LS built prior to Aug. 1999 for $17580 also loaded. Salesman said it has a Fidelity 1 year warranty on powertrain...?

Which would you pick?
    Guess what - the salesman with the 2002 used Impala emailed the Carfax report to me. Single owner. Original miles 52 when registered.

Sounds more credible. Is 20,995 reasonable for this vehicle?
    I honestly don't know if that's a good price or not - it doesn't sound bad, especially with so few miles. Not knowing what the mileage is on the 2000 model, I'd have to guess that price is high. Between the two, you probably won't encounter $3,500 in additional expense/repair on the 2000 model though (the changes made between 2000 and 2001 weren't THAT major). You might check sites like KBB.com and such and see what the 2000 is worth; might be able to negotiate it down to the point that it becomes too hard to pass up. But if you can spend $21k, the 2002 (with refinements and longer warranty) might be worth the peace of mind.
  • garypengarypen Posts: 1,482
    I know where you could find a fully equipped 2001 LS with under 10K miles for about what they want for that 2000.
    It's got some custom add-ons, and quite a lot of the 36,36 warranty left.
    Yup. I know just where you could find one. Yup.
    Well garypen - where is that Impala. I'm on my way up to the dealer tomorrow to look at the 2000. The GM extended warranty is available for $1100 more then the $17800 - the TMV on this car is around $16000. My buying price. Let's see what they offer - I will have my check book .

All the dealers so far will provide the carfax report on their vehicles.

Someone here mentioned poor weld points on the engine mounts of the 2000 Impala - anyone else hear of that?

Anyway this buggy is wheels to get to work without feeling drained from the ride.
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Posts: 760
    A number of 2000 Impala owners have complained about popping noises coming from the engine cradle. If you are interested in reading more about it, go to http://www.impalahq.com/, visit the How-To page, scroll almost all the way down and look for the Engine Cradle link.
    It's in San Jose. That would be exit 3,978 on the Garden State Parkway.
    Well I went and saw a Dark blue 2000 Impala LS. No sunroof or cassette but loaded. 29,890 miles and the engine looked brand new. However the radio on off button worked intermittently, the front passenger side tire was balding on the outer edge the driver side tire wear appeared normal and one of the keyless entry remotes would not work. Dealer came down $800. I would have bought it on the spot except for the 3 above problems.

You'd think they would have cleaned the vehicle up and got it ready for a sale. Instead a salesman was using it as his ride. I thought these people were in the business of selling cars!
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Posts: 760
    I didn't think you could get the LS with just a basic radio. Funny they didn't offer to fix it since it would still be under warranty.
    That's crazy. I guess sometimes it's better to buy a used car from a private seller. Besides the lower price, there's a good chance it's in pristine condition, just like the 2001 LS with only 9900 miles, fully loaded and in perfect condition that I'm looking to either sell or have someone take over the lease with only 21 months left to go, in the San Jose, California area.

Good luck on your quest. There are probably quite a few 2000 models coming off lease, and a TON of 2000 and 2001 ex-fleet Impalas out there now. Hertz has a ship load for sale.
    Found one - 2001LS cloth interior no sunroof but has almoast everything else - clean engine - great tires looks very clan ans they didn't perp it for sale yet.
  • bh0001bh0001 Posts: 340
    Congratulations! Sounds very similar to mine (2001 LS, Cloth, no hole in the roof). What colour is it? Mine is Navy Blue and it looks fantastic with tinted windows.
    Brad
  • rkelcrkelc Posts: 1
    Marty....forget the dealer extended warrant....search the net like www.warrantbynet.com ........much more time/miles for a cheaper price........If you have less than a year or almost at 36k......you can get up to 6 more years (not like the dealer when he sells you a 6yr/60k warranty which means you only get 3more years...At Warranybynet you do get 6 more years on top of the 3 that already been used up and possible up to 100k for about $1000......compared to about $1400 from a dealer and remember you get only 3 more years not 6 more......Just trying to save you some $$$$.....
    bh0001 my 01 Impala is Silver with the grey interior. Has the rear spoiler - the dealer ordered new mat for me and tire cover in the trunk (the one in there was crushed). So far I love this car. Big, quiet, lots of power. Quite a step up from the Lumina.

Thanks rkelc - thanks for the warranty info. Have you heard any ratings by Consumer reports on the reliability of Warranybynet?
    Well, just completed my 800 mi plus trip in my '01 Impala. The best ride I have taken. Mercedes ride was more quiet but for the $$$, the Impala was dam good. 7 1/2 hour drive with 1 10 minute rest stop and neither my back nor legs hurt. Family was so comfortable they fell asleep listening to the stereo.

This car, so far, beasts the hell out of my old Grand Am, Lumina, and is a better ride then my '01 Accord.
    Oddly enough, the first drive out of town I took with the family in my 2000 Impala, I was driving along, and looked around to discover that both kids and my wife had fallen asleep in the car!! Big difference between it and the Geo Prizm we'd be used to using as our road car.
    Last year, while driving up to Pac Bell Park in SF, which is only a one hour drive or less from my home, my rear seat passengers fell asleep. It's definitely a roomy back seat. No squishing.
    Very happy I got the LS with the stiffer suspension. I think that makes a big difference. Got on the Interstate Wed. and got the Impala up over 80 - just crusin with the stereo blasting - cars got out of the way. It reminded me of my younger days in my old Mustang - but alot classier.
  • i was trying to get on this forum
    i have the 2001 impala ls
    hope to talk some
    anyone who has bellsouth for a internet provider
    i feel for you
    bellsouth really is starting to get on my nerves
  • i have the 2001 impala ls
    fully loaded with the exception of no sunroof, power passager seat,nor heated seats
    so far i've 40k on the car and love it. it's
    not given any trouble of any sort
    i'm going to start adding some stuff to it so far i've just made minor changes

headlight covers
    ventshades
    the taillight kit from crazygraphix
    dual exhaust
    and a stereo upgrade using all ma equipment
  • Is that your list of planned upgrades or things you have already added?
  • the mods i have already done:

first i want say i do not claim to have an impala ss if anyone ask i tell them that i did all the work

ss emblems on front doors and trunk (and i took the time to put them on right i even had to get a new impala emblems so that they would match the emblems are red and the impalas are black)

carbon fiber bowtie witch match the hubcaps
    headlight covers
    wind splitters below front bumper
    chrome valve stem covers
    cat back dual exhaust
    rear taillight blackout from crazygraphix
    supercharged engine cover (i'm wishing for what goes under it)
    tinted windows
    autovent shades for windows
    stubbie cellular ant from cellularone (it beats the whip)
    and then the stereo:
    ma-6.5 for the front doors
    ma-6x9 for the rear deck
    ma-486 amp for the mids and highs
    ma-12xe subs (2)
    and a ma-5011dx to run them

the only engine mod are:
    k&n air filter
    and the long oil filter fram #ph3980pro1
    and i use castrol 10w30 for oil
    i have no oil consumption problems
    it really does run good and i have not had any problems with the car