Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Engine Related Questions

Comments

• kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for earlier model cars 2007 on, which reprograms the engine and transmission computers for better performance and shift points. The symptom is engine 'lugging' (it's in too high a gear, and the engine doesn't have enough power to accelerate under very light gas pedal depression). If you downshift via the gearshift knob, or depress the gas pedal more to force a downshift it is fine.

I don't know when your specific vehicle was built, and whether that TSB applies to your car or not. You can search the forums, it is discussed as well as copies of the TSB has been posted. If you go to your dealership and describe the lugging symptom from 35-45 mph, they can search their computers and tell you whether the TSB applies to your vehicle or not. It takes about 1/2 hour to reload the car computer with new software....runs great.
  • I have a 2006 camry with 71000 miles. That is exacty what I took my car in for. It started abruptly a few days after routine maintenance. Brought it in-it is a blown head gasket. Dealer says it's an engine defect. Fortunately I bought the extended warranty (expires in 4000 miles) and it's covered. You might have to fight Toyota on it.
  • Hi
    I need to know how to remove the crankshaft timing pulley on a 1992 Camry. I want to remove the oil pump so I can take out the oil seal which is stuck.
    Here is what I tried:
    - tried using the two screw driver method to remove the seal after taking off the face of the oil pump. I was told it should come out easy but it is stuck.
    - now I am attempting to take off the oil pump and see if I can just knock out the seal that way

Note: I don't have the special tool to remove the crankshaft pulley.
    Question: Is there a way to remove the pulley without the tool?
    Or is there a better way to achieve my objective(getting out the oil seal)?

I am not a mechanic but am not afraid to learn.
    Can someone help?
    Thanks,
    Patrick
  • kaboodle,

I have a 2009 with about 20K miles, I have noticed the engine getting a little louder. It sounds like lifters to me. I am far from a mechanic and not 100% sure. My Mother has a 2008 Camry and her car is quieter to me. I guess I need to go to the dealer, but I know the answer already "that is normal"!

If someone knows of others and fixes, please pass it on.

Thanks
  • kaboodlekaboodle Posts: 5
    thanks for your reply. i do not recall if i mentioned in my original posting that i did go to the local toyota dealer and their top man road tested it and he said it was normal noise. he said the noise was there from the beginning and we just did not hear it. wrong. my wife is not a car person and she heard it and i told him that. as i mentioned it started around 6,000 miles. i drive new cars from dealer to dealer for that dealer and i drove the four cyl. and they did not make that noise. that is why i got the 2009 4 cyl. prior to that i was a 6 cyl. guy. in fact i have a 2007 highlander with a 6 cyl. and it is great. please let me know if you have any luck with your dealer. my e-mail is cjdrive17@msn.com. by the way the 4 cly. performs great, except for the noise.
  • hvtec2002hvtec2002 Posts: 19
    Does it sound like having the after market air intake?

My 2003 camry 4 has that kind of noise but I do not have air intake so my machenic replace this part for me and the noise is gone.

It looks similar to this but i can't find the one for 4 cycl.
    http://image.popularhotrodding.com/f/17040442/0904phr_05_z+gm_performance_parts_- - lsx_454+fuel_injected_intake_manifold.jpg

Found it here too: http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/toyota-camry/T9MGD2F66FRTCKKID

Intake manifold that is what they call it.
  • kaboodlekaboodle Posts: 5
    i do not know anything about the intake manifold. my noise sounds like a hollow/humming noise and you only hear it when feeding gas from 0 to overdrive and if you down shift. so when applying gas and the car is under pressure it is there. once cruising it is gone. also when idling there is no noise. the car performs perfect exect for the noise that started around the 6,000 mile mark.
  • lokkilokki Posts: 1,200
    "I own a camry year 1999 auto with a mileage of 246000. I'm keen to improve my car engine perfomance . I also noticed that the car engine feels'heavier' with reduced acceleration when the air cond is on. Can anyone help??? "

redcamry - Probably the best things you can do are small things such as replacing your sparkplugs; sparkplug wires; air filter; and replacing your thermostat, unless you know that these things have been within the last few years. These things will improve your performance back towards the level of power it had when new.

The feeling that the car is heavier with reduced acceleration with the A/C on is fairly normal. The air conditioner compressor uses noticable horsepower when it is operating.

At 246,000 mile, I would hesitate to go for any form of extreme measure to improve your performance - your engine is pretty well along in life... and just like an 80-year-old man, you can unintentionally kill it if you try to make it run too hard.

Frankly, a K&N air cleaner and/or a fancy exhaust are not worth the money they'd cost to put on this car. It's possible that your catalytic converter is somewhat clogged at this mileage, and that might be decreasing your performance somewhat, but they're expensive and I wouldn't replace it until you're forced into it.

Given the number of miles on your car, I'd just put enough money into the drive train to keep it safe and operational for a couple years, and I'd save the performance money for your next vehicle. It's not realistic to plan on this car going much more than 300,000 miles. At 246,000 it's already out-lasted most cars in America.
  • I am about to find and buy a used engine for my 96 camry V6LE. I was told that any V6 96 or 97 camry engine would be compatible, but not the 95's. I do know that they used the same engine in some lexus vehicles, but which models/years? I want to try to extend my search to all available engines so I can find the best bang for the buck. What about other toyotas like trucks or other cars? Thanks.
  • engines for 96 Camry

I checked a manual for timing belts and the book gives all Camry, Avalon, Solara/Camry engines the same from 94 to 2006. Also the Higlander and Sienna are fall into this engine catagory. The engine is the 3MZ. My 93 V6 Camry has the 3VZ.That was the last year for it with the 94 Camry getting the 1MZ, a slightly longer stroke. 3.27 versus 3.24 inches.making it a 183 cid versus 181.It's still a 3.0 liter.

The local library usually has the Motor manuals with all the engine specs. Our library is under renovation and the Reference books are being stored.

It seems you could use the block or heads and bolt over any water pump, alternator, and power steering accessories. I think Lexus is rear drive and a totally different animal.It might fit if you check the flywheel or use yours.

Search my blog: rear wheel drive corolla

Checking trucks for 92- 94 year the engine is the 3VZ . Its shows the same bore/stroke as the 93 Camry 3MZ. Although compression is less and the HP is 30 less for the truck engine.
  • Just because they use the same timing belt, does that mean that the actual engines are 100% compatible with each other as far as bolting one into another????? I dont want to buy an engine from a 2002 highlander thinking it will fit my 96 camry and then find out that I could replace my timing belt with the other but not the whole engine!!!
    They need to be the same size (external as well as internal) have all the same mounting points for engine mounts and accessories, and be compatible with the same internal/external accessories (manifolds, fuel injection, etc). I need to find out which toyota's (or lexus) used the SAME EXACT ENGINE as my 96 v6 camry! I am not a mechanic or expert but I want to find a part for my mechanic to have a easy job and not tell me this is not compatible! I know that IF 1 engine uses the same timing belt as another, they are probably pretty similar, but does that mean they are exact drop in replacements??? :confuse:
  • douglasr4udouglasr4u Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a 2002 Camry with a 2.4l 5th digit E engine. The engine is fried. I am replacing the engine and was told the 2002 Solora uses the exact same engine and I would not need a conversion kit to install it. Is this correct?

By the way Toyota would not even talk to me about the engine. It had 31k on it.
    What happened to your old engine, that it fried?
  • I had to reread my answer to engine compatiblity.

If you see the letters and numbers on the engine, they are slightly different. If you get the exact same numbers and letters, say a 3MZ from a Highlander into a 3MZ engine of a Camry, it is 99% same engine, everything. But a 3VZ is not exactly the same as an 3MZ but close.

I beleive a Lexus is a different layout, and called a 2MZ. Still a V-6, but rearwheeldrive. Only the blocks will be compatible, you could still use it. The mounts and everything need to be swapped over to the block.
  • 7wac7wac Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Toyota Camry with less than 80K miles that has started smoking on start up. The smoke is always in the morning and occasionally in the evening if the car has sat more than 5 hours. I have always gotten regular scheduled oil changes(at the dealer I may add) and kept up with scheduled maintenance as well. At my last oil change I informed the service tech of this problem and was told that since I was not having to add oil and the smoke was in the morning that I should not be concerned. Well, I am concerned and expressed this to the service tech but was told that it would require checking out the engine and that would be very expensive. I need some advice on what to do next and to hear from anyone else that is experiencing this problem.
    I would suspect the valve seals. After sitting a little oil seeps down around the valve seals into the piston chamber, which then gets burned off when you start the vehicle.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    I agree - worn valve stem seals. I assume the smoke is blue, which is characteristic of burning oil. It's not anything to be concerned about at this point, but it will gradually worsen over time.

I had this problem twice on my former '97 Camry 4-cylinder. The first time was at 57K miles, just before the powertrain warranty expired. The seals were replaced for free. The next time it started at 102K miles. I didn't get the car repaired and sold it at 111K miles with a disclosure about the problem. I didn't sell the car because of the smoking but because I wanted side curtain airbags on the newer model Camrys.
    Thanks for the reply! I will have it checked out and let you know the results.
    Thanks for the reply. I will have this checked out and let you know the results.
  • watchful8watchful8 Posts: 3
    My 2006 Camry had intermittent white smoke on start up and an intermittent clicking noise. Religous about maintenance. They said not to worry until it turned out I had to worry. It was a leaking head gasket that had been defective since manufacture. Luckily I had extended warranty. Otherwise I would have battled with Toyota to get covered.