Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Engine Related Questions

Comments

• skyhydroskyhydro Posts: 1
    I don't think it matters too much but was your extended warranty platinum or the regular one? Did they give you grief or try to get out of the repair? I have a little bit of time left on my extended warranty and would like to get the same problem fixed. There is complete history of oil changes at the same dealer and I'm not sure how they would react but I don't want them to tell me "not to worry" since I'm running out of time.
  • watchful8watchful8 Posts: 3
    I had a regular extended warranty. Absolutely no problem getting the repair covered. One call from the dealer to the warranty company and the repair was authorized.
  • tanpeektanpeek Posts: 1
    My 2003 Camry Check Engine Light came on in May 2008 with a PO442 code (leak in evap system). Each week told it was a different thing -- and each time part replaced. New filler neck, evap cannister, 02 sensor, and gas cap, with the end result that the Check Engine Light came on this May 2009 with the same PO442 code. It happened day after inspection, so I was told not to worry about it and it would not cause a problem. However, I have noticed that each time I get gas now, that the car will not start up the first time. I need to turn off the engine, wait a minute and restart. Has happened consistently for the last 15 fill-ups. Does anyone have any advice??? I'm thinking the Check Engine Light has something to do with the gas. Why does the car not start up the first time when I fill up?? I've tried not filling all the way. Same result. Make sure the cap is secure. Same result. I put "dry gas" in. Same result. Any help would be appreciated.
  • ehowellehowell Posts: 1
    Why does my 4 cly 05 Camry with 69k on idle rough when my a/c is on? :
  • Did you get you car checked ? I have similar problem and my mechanic advise I change my engine. I want to know if there is a cheaper alternative.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    How many miles on this engine?

Is it smoking just at startup - worn valve seals
    or is it smoking all the time - worn piston rings

two totally different problems/solutions.

What else is going on with the car (ie, overall condition, recent repairs, other problems outstanding....)
  • The engine in my solara make a loud tapping like noise at around 1800 to 2000 rpm or so, then goes away at higher rpm. I think it has done this for a long time, but really noticed it after changing timing belt and water pump recently. I didn't pay much attention to it before as I think it has been that way for a long time. I even pulled it back apart after changing water pump and bought another new one and put it in. It still makes the same noise. Once the engine warms up, it is a lot quieter, but still there some. It this common with the Toyota 4 cylinders? I have a long screwdriver and hold it against the engine at the water pump housing, and it's the loudest there by far. The car has about 170,000 miles and have taken three, 3000 mile trips this year, great car.
  • I have a 98 Camry with 2.2 engine. I had a problem about 2 month ago with it trying to die when taking off from a red light or stop sign. Replace the fuel filter, seem fixed. Know the car will start to stutter when you come of the interstate or taking off/or putting aload on it. Come off the gas pedal and hit it again, the stuttering goes away. Any ideas on what it could be?
  • I drive a 98 4 cyl Camry and I can drive 30 or 70mph it does not matter. And of course it only does it every once in a while. I told my girlfriend it does it alot, dont worry. She was upset and wants me to fix it. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Steve
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Posts: 259
    Yeah, get rid of the car and buy or lease a brand new 2010 Camry LE. You will never regret it. :)
    And then you can give your 98 Camry to your girlfriend and she can spend the money to fix it. :)
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    One possibility is that EGR valve has carbon buildup and needs to be cleaned.
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Posts: 167
    Well, it's been 31 Months/55,000 miles. No work done on the engine. Got the first brake job just 2 Months ago. Fronts only. Must have been an exceptional batch of rotors at the factory when they screwed this unit together! Still drive up every 10-14 days and check/add oil. I buy it in the 5 Quart plastic jug now. It lasts a while. Don't see any smoke, but suppose you would if it was revved up real high. Went to a Japaneses auto shop (everyone was real Japanese, I think) up the road from the Toyota dealer the car was purchased from. They said it needed a new motor, it was the Rings, not the valve guides. That was at least a year ago, I think. So, still running........... :)
  • I bought a new 2010 Toyota Camry LE 4-cyl one and half month ago, and have driven it for only 1200 miles. Yesterday I suddenly felt vibration/knocking from the engine while I was driving at about 30 mph, in the mean time both the "Check Engine" and "Slip Indicator" lights were on. The vibration became worse during acceleration. I parked the car and opened the front hood, I saw the engine vibrating badly. I have sent the car to a Toyota dealer, and am waiting for a diagnosis. The service man said there have been quite a few people got the same problem with the new Camry. Really disappointed with Toyota's quality control. I am sure I am using the right gas. Do you have any idea what happened in my car? Shall I contact Toyota directly? Thanks a lot for any suggestions.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    duplicate post....see answer on your original post.
  • i am sure your toyota dealer will find out where the problem is. i work for toyota driving new cars from dealer to dealer and have driven many camry's with 4 cly. and have not had that problem, i also own two toyota's, one of them being a 4 cyl. 2009 camry. the only thing i noticed with my camry is when feeding gas from starting is a hollow noise until i hit overdrive. this noise started after 6,000 miles. i recently changed the air filter and some of that noise stopped. sorry i cannot be more help. please let me know what they find.
  • Check out my update under "2010 Toyota Camry".
  • dassekakadassekaka Posts: 1
    Did you ever find out what was wrong with the engine? What the noise was?

Regards,
    David
  • The first thing you need to do is change the timing belt and water pump. A reasonable charge for this is around $300 - $350. The check engine light will illuminate for any number of reasons to include (but not limited to) a loose air filter cover which is located under the hood directly by the battery, the oxygen sensors needing to be replaced, a tune up, loose gas cap and anything else I did not name. The most costly is probably the catalytic converters going out on you. I hope this helped.
  • mpredmpred Posts: 2
    The service department at a local Atlanta Toyota dealer told me my engine was idling a little low and that I needed to replace the throttle body assembly. The service rep said that my car may be prone to stalls if I don't get it fixed and that this was the type of problem where the car would not start.

The part is ~$900 and the labor ~$300 which makes this a big decision.

I would like to know if the recommendation by the service manager is valid, how I can best confirm or deny this and where I should get the work done if it is really needed.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Sounds fishy to me. I'd get a second opinion at a reputable independent shop that works on Toyotas.