Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Tires and Wheels

Comments

• naavynaavy Posts: 1
    Does 205/65R15 tires Came off a Mercury Sable, Bolt pattern for rims 5 x 108 fit on Camry 2003 LE?

thanks.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Tires yes; wheels, I believe not.
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 785
    The rims from a Ford Taurus (and Mercury Sable) have a bolt circle of 107.9mm (yes, the decimal is important!), while the Camry has a bolt circle of 114.3mm, so wheels from a Taurus (Sable) will NOT fit a Camry - and vice versa!.
  • I cant seem to get a straight answer from anyone. I have a 2010 Camry XLE with 16 inch alloys. I recently bought a set of OEM take off steel wheels and hub caps from a 2010/2011. The hub caps have the holes in them so the lugs show through. I have called different dealership service departments and the parts departments and get different answers. WHAT LUGS DO I USE ON THE STEELIES...THE ALLOY LUGS OR BUY STEELIE LUGS? The steelie lugs at the dealer are open ended and will look aweful through the hub caps. One dealer says use the alloy lugs another says no way wont be safe. Another said she would check the lot for an LE with hubcaps and run the vin to see what lugs it has???? Whatever that means. Not much online for answer either, some posts say yes, some say no. Any help? All I want is a set of lugs that a 2010 or 2011 Camry LE with hubcaps has.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    It's absurd you can't get a straight answer. I have both alloy and steel 16-inch wheels for my '04 Camry. What you need are the "acorn" style (closed) chromed lugs for the steelies. These are standard on 2010-11 models with the steel wheels, and they were also used on earlier Camrys with steel wheels with holes in the hubcaps (such as the 2005-06 XLE). Surely, the parts department must carry these, or at least can order them. You do not want to use the alloy wheel lugs on the steelies.
  • I own a 2007 Toyota Solara Convertible, which is in the Camry family. I had replaced just 2 rear Michelin Energy tires with Michelin Primacy MXV4 V rated tires. I took it out on the highway and experienced swaying as if I had an unruly trailer hooked to the back of the car. (I didn't). I went back to the tire store, they ordered 2 Energy series like I had on the front. Put those on and the same thing but maybe a little better. I went back to the tire store. They said my fronts are doing battle with my backs. My fronts still had 4/32 so I was trying to save them for a while. I said ok, let's put 4 new ones on. They installed 4 new MXV4 V's on the car. It was every bit as bad at highway speed if not a little worse. I have not been back to the tire store and just wanted to ck online to see if anyone else had the same type of handling problems. I think I am going to have them try a different brand of tire but really don't care for Bridgestone. It is a shame because I thought I was buying the best tire out there for the money.
  • I own a 2007 Toyota Solara Convertible, which is in the Camry family. I had replaced just 2 rear Michelin Energy tires with Michelin Primacy MXV4 V rated tires. I took it out on the highway and experienced swaying as if I had an unruly trailer hooked to the back of the car. (I didn't). I went back to the tire store, they ordered 2 Energy series like I had on the front. Put those on and the same thing but maybe a little better. I went back to the tire store. They said my fronts are doing battle with my backs. My fronts still had 4/32 so I was trying to save them for a while. I said ok, let's put 4 new ones on. They installed 4 new MXV4 V's on the car. It was every bit as bad at highway speed if not a little worse. I have not been back to the tire store and just wanted to ck online to see if anyone else had the same type of handling problems. I think I am going to have them try a different brand of tire but really don't care for Bridgestone. It is a shame because I thought I was buying the best tire out there for the money.
  • igrigr Posts: 17
    I has been using Primacy™ MXV4 on my Camry 2004 LE since September 2007, driving about 15 K km per year and didn't have any swaying problems. Assuming you didn't have swaying problem at highway speed with your older tires, could it be something happened to your wheels alignment during installation of the new tires? Just a thought...
  • I did not have the problem with the old tires. I suppose the tires store could have done something to the alignment on installation but this is a reputable tire store national chain and they do this all day long. It still drives straight and does not pull to either side. I found 1 other similar report by oneadam12 but cannot find anyone else with the problem. I had a 4 wheel alignment done less than a year ago and have not run over any curbs or anything adverse.
  • igrigr Posts: 17
    It seems that wheel alignment, balancing and struts are all fine, as no swaying occurs with the older tires. What about grooves on the highway surface where you got swaying with new tires? What is the surface on that highway: asphalt, concrete or something else? Or you had swaying at highway speed on various surfaces?
    By the way I keep mine tires at around 40 PSI, mainly to cut down rolling resistance and get better fuel economy, even though Toyota recommends 29 PSI for my Camry 2004.
    I don't know if tire pressure could contribute to swaying. But if tire manufacturer expects modern tire to be at 35 PSI (for fuel economy and etc) and car manufacturer set "standard" for this model at 29 PSI back in 2004 when it was designed for a softer and more "luxurious" ride, then I think tire pressure is something worth experimenting with just to rule it out.
  • tnanningatnanninga Posts: 10
    With only 4000 miles on the car a sheetrock screw went through the corner of RR tire. After an extensive search I found the Toyo Tire (Proxies J33) was proprietary design. Replacement was only available at the dealer, I would have to pay $100 extra for the exact match, or buy two, so the tread pattern matched on F\R axles. It was a roll of the dice, bought one tire for just $300. The tires have a non symmetrical tread pattern with diamonds to channel water on the inside and grooves on the outside. Comparable models are $150 to $190. Now I wonder is the 5,000 mile oil change really free?
    Mandy, Two prior Toyotas had problem with the "Security lug nut. Now, I have the dealer remove them at purchase. Performance Tools makes a great tool that will remove even the most stubborn lug nut lock.
    Old fix I remember from decades ago, was to remount the tires of one side of the car so they rotate in the opposite direction.
  • gpoltgpolt Posts: 113
    I am the original owner of a 1997 Camry LE 4 cylinder with 85,000 miles. I am currently running the OEM 14" wheels [195/70 - 14], however, someone gave me their set of 15" steel wheels from a 2000 Camry and I'm considering stepping up to the 205/65 - 15s for appearance value only. I would buy the same brand and model tire - Michelin Harmony as I've been very satisfied with my present set [60,000 miles]. The 15" wheel was standard on the V6 models of the 1997 Camry and became standard on the 4 cylinder LEs in 2000 - same body style.

So other than having to find a set of the OEM 15" wheel covers from the 97-99 generation, is there a downside moving up to the larger wheel and tire? Road noise? Less traction in the rain and snow? Harder ride? I believe the car would sit perhaps a 1/2" higher but that's just half an inch less that I have to bend down to get into the car. :)

Any comments are welcomed. Thanks.
  • Just a thought. Michelin makes this tire in V and H rated speeds. Make sure you really have the V rated. They look identical except code on sidewall. V rated tires were used on these cars for handling characteristics with the suspension. H rated and softer make the car handle poorly including weird trackingt or swaying. Made this mistake myself. Good luck!! Also to those reading this, if you buy a Camry used, make sure it has correct tires. Used car dealers are notorious for installing cheap but new tires.
  • ncalerncaler Posts: 14
    The Tire Pressure Display shows 4 tires but doesn't say which is for which tire. Has anyone figure it out which is which?
  • kingofjazzkingofjazz Posts: 1
    Camry has a soft suspension set up and Primacy is also a soft tire that tends to feel softly everything; this combination is very prone to produce severe groove wandering that can be dangerous. Primacy is a good tire but ... you can't have "everything" in a tire.
  • My 2013 Toyota Camry XLE came with Bridgestone Turanza 93V tires. I got the 'tramlining' or side to side sway you talked about on the new and old grooved surfaces on our Iinterstate 35 here by Duluth MN. So,,,, I just recently swapped the Brigestone out for the Michelin MXV4 93V tire set and they are just as bad if not worse. 'S' rated tires on my old 2000 Camry LE and 'S' rated tires on my current Dodge Durango are/were no problem on this road. The Edmunds expert just now told me to try a different tread pattern in the same speed rating or one a notch lower ('H') that is similar to my other 'S' rated tire. Have no idea where to go with that, treads all look pretty similar to me.
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 785
    The problem is the spacing of ribs in the tire - compared to the spacing of the grooves in the roadway.

Go back to the dealer you bought the tires from and make a complaint. They should offer to replace those with something that doesn't do that - and they should know what works as this should have popped up as soon as the road surface was regrooved.
  • Thanks.

The tires on my Dodge Durango are the Michelin Latitude, are a wider tire and indeed the grooves are farther apart and ride good over all the new and old concrete surfaces ob I35.

However, my old 2000 Camry LE that I traded off for this Camry XLE, had Cooper CS4 'S' rated tires with pretty much the same groove spacing as my current Michelin Primacy and they had no problems on I-35.

A friend of mine just put 'S' rated Michelin Defenders on 2009 Honda Accord and he has no problem on the highway as well.

I will be checking in with my dealer to see how the new Camry LEs are performing with their 'S' rated tires and try to get this problem fixed as you suggested.