Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Tires and Wheels

Comments

• Any recommendations on tires?
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    The proper size is 215/55R17. As to brand and type, it really depends on your preferences. I'd suggest looking at Tire Rack. They have lots of info to help you decide.
  • paul3637paul3637 Posts: 45
    I have an '09 LE V6 with stock 16" wheels and tires. I have new 17" rims coming in 3 to 4 weeks and need help deciding between tires. I originally posted this in the '09 Camry forum; but this looks like a place where I am more likely to get help -possibly from someone that has replaced tires on an SE V6. I have already done what 210delray said to do in his post #189 to this forum so I am caught between the two tirerack.com choices that they tested on a BMW and possibly experience someone else has with replacing tires on an existing SE with 17" wheels. Here is an edited version of what I posted yesterday:

I bought an ’09 LE V6 about a year ago and love it except for the cheap looking plastic wheel covers which I knew I would replace when the OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02 215/60R16 UTOG rated 260AA 94V which I projected at the time of purchase would wear out at around 20K miles. After 8K miles, I could no longer take looking at the el cheapo hubcaps so two days ago I ordered up a set of 17" Motegi US7 17x7 Brushed Aluminum Hyper Black wheels (with OEM 5.114 bolt pattern) which are on backorder and will arrive in three or four weeks. I will replace tires with 215/55R17’s - the standard size for the SE. I have tentatively boiled my choices to the Bridgestone Serenity UTOG 440 AA 94 V which meets OEM specs and carries a 50,000 mile warranty OR the Michelin Primacy MXV4 UTOG 620 AA 94H which does not meet the OEM V rated spec but carries a 60,000 mile warranty.
    Both tires cost about $750 for a set of four, installed with TPMS, computer balance, & tax. [The OEM Michelin MXV4 Energy UTOG 440 AA 94V is out because they cost $1050 for a set of four and get poor wet traction reviews on Internet postings]. TireRack.com tested both tires on a BMW and rated the Primacy slightly higher than the Serenity. Any advice or opinions on these two or any other tires would be appreciated before I just “flip a coin” to make my choice. I live on a school bus route that is 1.2 miles from a suburban Kansas City fire station where they keep the local snow plows so driving through snow and ice is not much of an issue. Thanks.
  • hvtec2002hvtec2002 Posts: 19
    Hello all,

I have the 17" rims and the stock tires size is 215/55/17. It is too much noise coming in the car and my friends told me to replace the tires with 215/60/17 and the noise will be gone. I understand it will give more rubber but will it ruin anything to the car? :confuse:
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    I think you'll find the noise is more a function of the tire manufacturer, tire compound, and tread pattern.....than the slight size modification you have suggested.

Go check www.tirerack.com

And look for their assessments of tire/road noise
  • I have a 09 SE and I wonder if I can fit 19" Highlander 2009 on my the SE or not?Appreciate any help.
    P.S: Plz reply to this address hoangnam87@rocketmail.com.Thx a lots.
  • mitermiter Posts: 2
    The were on our 2007 XLE...90% highway driving...and need to be replaced now at 30,000 miles...disappointing to say the least.
  • mitermiter Posts: 2
    Replacing the OEM Bridgestone EL400 after 30,00 miles...looking at the Michelin MXV4 S8...Tire Pro says it replaces Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus and said that the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 S was "inferior". Got over 50,000 tires on previous MXV4 Plus tires with a 99 Maxima.

Any suggestions...I live in Rhode Island...some snow concerns.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,275
    New cars come with tires geared to low rolling resistance for better mileage and handling, but often at the expense of traction and durability. I try and trade right off the bat. I've been very happy with Goodyear Comfort Tread and Michelin Harmony. You also don't really need that H speed tire in most situations which will often save money up front and increase tire wear as well.
  • gshellgshell Posts: 4
    Hi ....Thanks for the info....I was given a pair of 215/65-15 snow tires and was wondering if they will fit on the front of the 2006 camry since the stock tire size is 205/65-15? Thanks :)
    They'll fit, but I wouldn't do it. It's not like the old days when you put snow tires on the drive wheels. Now you should use snow tires on all 4 wheels. It's the wrong season anyway to be using snows.

How about selling them on Craigslist?
  • iluvjesusiluvjesus Posts: 1
    Can I ask would a 235/55R16 fit on my 07 camry se? It comes with the original 215/60R16. I found my car a bit unstable under strong wind. TIA.
    I doubt changing the tires would help the crosswinds situation; save your money.
  • goobeegoobee Posts: 8
    Not sure what you mean by "unstable" but yes, the larger size will fit. I doubt you will feel any more steady in the wind as the side wall height of both tires are virtually the same (5.07 inches vs 5.08 inches). Lowering the center of gravity of the car may help you with wind buffeting (think Nascar and how low they sit) but just changing tires will not.
    "I found my car a bit unstable under strong wind"

You need a better excuse............
  • I'm thinking of buying a Camry XLE 4 cyl. I'm a nut about quiet on the highway, and I've seen posts recommending either Bridgestone Turenza Serenity, or Kumho Esta LX Platinum as being very quiet.
    Worth switching out for these at a discount tire place if it's a good deal?
    Yes, the OEMs are good enough. If you're lucky, you'll get the Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 tires, which have worked well for me and a co-worker.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    I agree with 210delray - I have the Energy MXV4 S8 - good for an OEM tire.
  • I currently have BF Goodrich Traction T/A 94V tires and need to replace the front tires. I can only find the Traction T/A tires in 94T. I am not tied to this brand, but need to get something that will work ok with the rear tires.

Can you put 94H or 94T on the front if you've got 94V on the rear?

I recently got laid off, but can't put off getting front tires any longer. Can you recommend a reasonably priced quality tire that I can use with the rear tires that I am keeping?

I currently live in NC where we only get snow a couple of times a year. My plan is to move to FL after this winter season. I mostly just drive on the streets and I think I just need a basic Grand Touring All-Season tire.

Unfortunately, I just found out I have to go to Florida right away and have to buy the tires tomorrow. Can anyone make a quick recommendation?

I've been looking at Tire Rack.com, but am a bit overwhelmed. If I can get something for under $100 each, that would be ideal.
    Unless you intend to drive faster than 118MPH (the speed rating T), those would be more than adequate.

You'll be in Florida behind some old ladies, Your maximum practical speed will be 35!

If you shift brands and models, you want to keep the same tire on both right and left of the same axle, so the sidewall flex is the same. If you are pleased with your old tire performance and lifespan, I'd go get those T's tonight.
  • olddog7olddog7 Posts: 23
    I have a 2007 Camry LE with 19,000 miles and already the tires seem to need replacing. I'm a bit pissed. The tires have been rotated regularly. Can some quiet road tires be recommended? There are some sales going on around here, buy 2 get 2 tires free with the following tires: Goodyear Integrity, 50,000 mile, Dunlop Signature, T 75,000,H 60,000mile, Falken ZE-502. I dont know if they even come in the size I need. They also have Michelin mxv4 primacy, approx 120 per tire(not buy 2 get 2). So I'm looking for comfort, longer lasting, and a deal. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • I put Michelin Primacy MXV4's on my 09 LE V6 when my worthless and noisy Turanzas wore out prematurely. They are great and have a 60,000 mile warranty and improved the cornering ability of my car.. I did a lot of research .... and that research was confirmed with the test results release by consumerreports.org on 9-28-09..

They tested 15 V rated tires and 14 H rated tires. Michelin Primacy was the best H rated tire and Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S was best V rated.

Results will be published in the November issue. I cant send you a link to the internet posting because you have to be a member to join.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2009/09/new-tires-ratings-and-a-new-look.h- tml
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    Felt the same way about my OEM Bridgestone EL400's that came on my Acura TL; had so many problems with them and since they were Bridgestone's they were the only one I was able to work an adjustment out on and get the top of the line Serenity's on the car for a really reduced price!! thankful to say the Serenity's are ten times better in all areas compared to the EL400's that came with the car but they still have a little bit too much road noise for my taste and don't compare to past Michelins and Kumhos I've had in regards to quietness and ride quality;

I will say that the Bridgestone Serenity's are probably one of the top three tires I have ever had but they are God awful expensive (almost $245 a tire for my TL but luckily I had the adjustment from Bridgestone); they are the best tire I've had in regards to performance, road feel, handling, and road grip but again while it is pretty good in ride quality and road noise it hasn't been able to beat Michelin and Kumho in those two areas; I'm most likely going to replace the Serenity's with the Primacy's when they wear out
  • petras2petras2 Posts: 104
    I purchased two sets of michelin X tires from Sam's Club in recent years. That tire rated very high in a C/R report. I've been very happy with the ride comfort, quietness, and threadwear so far..
    OK this is what I have been quoted so far: falken ze-502 4 tires out the door: $346, supposedly v rated. Primacy mxv4 $743 otd. toyo versado $502 otd, and cooper cs4, $473, with $50 rebate( approx $422). The first two sets have a free or discounted alignment, the second 2 sets have $50 alignment. I can buy lifetime alignment for $139/149, which I'm thinking of doing as I plan to have the car for at least 5 more years. possibly longer. The falkens are by far the best deal, but I dont know how those tires are, they said they were v rated and 65k tires. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.PS this is all in S. California( no snow, hardly any rain)
    Has anyone got any input on the Falken ze-502 tires? Or any other reasonable priced set of tires? Thanks for the input.
    If you haven't received any responses, I'd recommend Tire Rack to see how the Falkens stacked up. I have no experience with them myself.

I've found the original equipment Michelin MX4 SV8 tires to be fine in spite of the bad-mouthing they seem to receive. But all Michelins are so expensive these days.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    I agree about the MX4V S8 tires. I have them on both Camrys, and even though original equipment tires are not the best, these tires are better than most original equipment tires.
  • I feel like I'm being taken for a "ride".... I have to replace my tires after 18,000 miles. It's a 2007 Camery, I've had the tires rotated and take good care of the car. I live in upstate NY and need good tires because of the snow.
    Is this normal, or should I be pushing this issue, with Toyota?
    Can be normal, based on an aggressive driving style, or lack of attention to air pressure.