Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Fuse and Electrical Questions

Comments

• Hello to everyone. i got a serious problem i was installing a remote start in my 2009 camry 4cyl. and i accidently grounded the constant 12v wire located in the ignition harness and popped a fuse, everything works in the car but the instrument panel dont light up and the car will start and die right away, I have spent 6 hours in the garage tring to find which one blew and cant find it nowhere can someone help me before my wife kills me..
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Check three fuses.

In the Engine compartment, on the left fender wall, you'll find a fuse & relay box.
    - Check the 7.5Amp (AM2) fuse
    - Check the 20 Amp (IG2) fuse

In the passenger compartment under the dash by the drivers left knee, you'll find a fuse box.
    - Check the 7.5Amp (AM1) fuse

If you don't find one of those blown, I'll dig into this a lot deeper tomorrow (have to get to bed, it's almost 2am) and give you some things to check to help isolate the problem.

Do you have a volt/ohm meter?
  • The 7.5amp AM2 & the 20amp IG2 are not in the fuse box under the hood the slots are there but there are no fuse the one under the drivers dash is good actually none of those are blown. The 20amp AM2 is a 15 amp under the hood. Yes i got a meter not to good with it though it has been awhile.
    My bad, I knew I was tired. There's a different AM2 fuse to check.

Up in the engine compartment fuse/relay box, look for a green 30A fuse labled ST/AM2. It sits way up in the front in the box (forwardmost position). See if that is blown. That feeds the second pole of the ignition switch, which when your key is in the ignition position, it then provides power to your gauge, ignition, and injector fuses.
  • hmyershmyers Posts: 14
    Does anyone know which fuse powers the dashboard lights (speedometer area)? I can't find it. Any help would be appreciated as I can't see how fast I'm going at night!
    That would be the 15Amp TAIL fuse.
    where do I find that one? i've tested and changed out the fuses in the engine compartment fuse box and the one down by the driver's left knee...
  • Thanks alot I found the problem, it was the main three and a half inch long blue fuse located in the fuse box. what a pain in the a
    *&* to change....LOL
    Behind the left kickpanel. Put your left foot on the floor, swing it to the left and it will hit the left side kickpanel. Take that kickpanel off.

The tail fuse is in the first row of fuses, kind of in the middle of the fuse/relay block, on the far right hand side. There are two relays right above the fuses, the defogger relay on the left, and the taillight relay on the right. It's down below the taillight relay.
    Well that's interesting, that is upstream (toward the battery) of the 30Amp AM2 fuse. Somehow the 30Amp didn't blow, but the main higher current one did.

If you have your ohmmeter, check that 30Amp fuse to make sure it isn't a higher resistance. If you can't, you may want to swap it out with the spare 30Amp (green) fuse that is in the cover, just to be on the safe side.

Good job and congrats in finding the problem!!
  • Does any one know where the AC clutch relay is located on a 2003 Camry (4 cylinder)

Thanks
    Sure,

It's in the engine compartment relay box (which is on the left driver side wheel well area).

The relay is called: MG CLT

It's in the first column on the left, 2nd relay down.
    i'm looking at buying a used alternator. how do i know if i need a 70amp or 80amp alternator? i've got a 1990 camry v6 LE.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,619
    70 amps

wow. that was easy... maybe TOO easy... :)

i'm taking your word for it.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,619
    I looked it up on ALLDATA...so if it's wrong, we now have thousands of misinformed mechanics :P

Actually I did eeny-meenie minie mo and that's what came up.

• I am trying to figure out which relay is for the starter on my car. It's a 4 cylinder, model CE. Does anyone know?
    Relay for the starter?

The solenoid (relay) is on the starter itself.

What are your symptoms, and what/why do you think some relay is a problem?
  • That's what Oreilly's said, but a mechanic friend of mine said there is a removeable relay. Anyway, when I turn the key to start the car, the starter clicks only once and does nothing else. I've already replaced the battery and the starter and am about to replace the battery cables. I had my original starter tested and it passed. I don't know what's going on. Oh also, the battery runs everything just fine so I know tx not dead.
    I went back to the schematics, and for that model year there is a small relay in the circuit.

Check the relay box, on the fender wall. The relay is marked ST. It's in the corner of the relay box, near the Radio No. 1 fuse.
  • Today, my aftermaket deck, clock and indoor lights stopped working, I checked all the fuses that i knew of, under the hood and below the drivers knee in the change holder and none of the fuses weere blown, then i checked the yellow and red wires with a voltage meter and found that no power was running through the yellow wire(constant power) and now im trying to locate the contant power fuse and i have no idea where and which one that is. Can anyone point me into the right direction?
    There is no such thing as a constant power fuse.

If someone has put in an aftermarket deck, no telling how they connected it.

Let's try this. The clock is powered by two fuses, the 20A dome fuse (engine compartment), and the 15A Cigarette/Radio fuse (cabin left knee). Have you checked those fuses, remembering to turn on the ignition?
  • yes ive checked both with a voltage meter while the ignition was turned on, anything else i should check for?
    You've checked both of those with the power on, and what are the results?

If both power lines to the clock have power, and your clock isn't working, then your clock is bad.

The interior dome light power, comes from the Dome 20A fuse as well. How did you check that fuse to determine it was okay? Can you also pull that fuse, and measure the voltage in the fuseblock on the connectors that the fuse would connect to. You need 13volts on one of those connectors.

Also, verify that both your horn and hazard lights are working.
  • My power windows,seat,door locks and sunroof stopped working on my 1993 Toyota Camry. All fuses in the car and under the hood are OK. What could be the problem?
    There are 2 fuses and a relay common to all three of those items you reference.

10A gauge fuse, 30A Power fuse, and the Power Main Relay.

All three of those are inside the car on the left instrument panel junction box. The fuses are on the front side of the junction box. The 10 gauge is on the left side, and the 30 A Power is on the right edge at the top. The Power Main Relay is on the back side of that junction box, and is in the lower left corner.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Put a voltmeter on the battery and when you hear the click if the battery voltage drops seriously then your engine is seized.
  • justlostjustlost Posts: 6
    The power locks and windows on 96 Camry XLE quit working at same time. As far as I can tell everything else(dome light, moon roof, personal lights, pwr seats, pwr mirrors, etc) works. I checked fuses in engine comp and next to steering column, and can't find any blown. I have read that there is a breaker/relay for the dors and windows, but I can't find it. I don't know what it looks like or where it is. Does anyone have really good description of the location, or a picture?
    Remote locks work ok from a after market that has been on for about 10 years.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
  • sid007sid007 Posts: 12
    Suddenly the Head and tail lights of the 1997 Camry stopped working. The dashboard lights are also out. However the power windows are working fine.I checked all the fuses and they are fine.I removed the panel under the knee(driver side) and noticed that when I turn the ignition key on and off there is a chattering noise which I am sure is some kind of a relay.The indicators/brake lights are working fine
    Check your 40A main fuse, and the headlight relay. Could also be the headlight fuses, but I suspect they're okay because there is one for the left, and another for the right.....you would have had to coincidentally blow both fuses. I suspect the headlight relay.

All of these are in the terminal block up in the engine compartment, on the left wheel well. The headlight fuses are just marked with a 1 and a 2, and sit sort of in line with the headlight relay. The 40A main fuse, sits underneath the starter relay.

If you have a meter and know how to test relays, pin 4 & 3 are the primary winding coil. Pin 1&2 are the normally open secondary points w/infinite resistance. When power is supplied to the primary 4, 3 to ground......the secondary 1 to 2 should be zero ohms.

You may want to also check that your battery is sitting at 13+ volts, and no corrosion on the terminals. You shouldn't have any relays chattering. One cause of chattering is that the voltage is too low on the coils, and it's not able to pull the secondary down and hold it in place. Does your vehicle start and run okay? This headlight problem you have may be a symptom of a larger problem effecting other things as well. You can get your battery and alternator tested at auto parts chains, they can do a load test on both the battery and alternator for you, usually free.