Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Fuse and Electrical Questions

Comments

• WOW you're fast. I'll do that asap and let you know. Thank you
  • I popped open the case top on the LH wheel well and found the 100 amp fuse. The clear plastic cover on top was off. Could this have popped off previously and allowing moisture to get in? Also, I found out the hard way that the fuse is a bolt in type. Any suggestions as to how I get the relay unit out to access the 100 amp fuse mounting bolt. In advance.....thanks again. docholiday2 (aka Lawrence)
  • Thanks, I found those blew fuses are hide under my 95 Camry dash and replace them. Thanks a lot to "Kiawah"
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Here's a high level of main power feed

Generation3-MainPower
  • Can anyone help? I'm at my wits end here. I took out the battery and was able to get the bottom cover off the relay box on the left wheel well. The fuse I need to replace is a bolt on type. Can anyone tell me how to get the fuse out. I'll never get a wrench in there. :(
  • Kudos to "Kiawah". I finally figured out how to get the fuse out. Replaced it and the car is running. Thanks for the tip, you saved me a few bucks. While I was at it I was checking out the other fuses and there was a 15 amp fuse blown. When I brought the car from California to Calgary, it had to have daytime lights installed. They worked for a while then they went out. The Toyota dealer replaced the relay but the left headlight was much dimmer than the right. They spent 3 hours trying to figure it out. They didn't even check the fuses. Once I replaced the 15 amp....all the lights work. Thanks again
    docholiday2 & vecodox

Thanks, glad you were able to fix the problems.
  • Hi "kiawah" I know I already thanked you for the fuse help......but since it was replaced my air bag light comes on and STAYS on. It used to, before the ALT H fuse fiasco, come on and go off in about 10 seconds. The manual says to take to Toyota immediately. The Air Bag fuse is a 60 amp fuse right beside the ALT H fuse. It looks fine to me. Is it possible I could have damaged it during the 100 amp fuse replacement? :cry:
    I'm travelling and don't have access to any of the manuals, so will be shooting in the dark here. Is it the airbag or ABS light that is on? If I remember correctly from the last time I looked at this, the 60Amp was for the ABS, and that was downstream of the 100Amp fuse.

I should be back Thursday, so can look at the schematics then, and see what the airbag circuitry looks like, and where that is fused.
    Doc,

As I thought, it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the 60Amp fuse.

If it is your SRS airbag light that stays on, then it is reporting that it has had a failure. You will need to have the failure code(s) read from the SRS unit, or read them yourself if you are real technically inclined. Depending on the code read, it will point to one of the SRS sensors, or it could be a 'normal' code. That normal code indicates that there has been a voltage problem, and indicates to check your battery and charging system. There is a way to clear the codes, but entails jumpering two pins in the cabling, with a specific timing sequence.

Couple things to probably consider. If you are very comfortable that your alternator and battery are good, then it may just be that the main fuse blowing caused a voltage problem which the SRS is now reporting. And if there is nothing else wrong with your power and the SRS unit and sensors, then resetting the SRS is all you need. Would think this is a relatively cheap fix at the Toyota shop.

Another possibility is you actually have a legitimate SRS failure, in which case you would definitely want the Toytoa shop to fix it as well, in case you are ever in an accident.

If you are very technically inclined it doesn't look all that difficult to read the codes and reset the light, but this piece of the manual is about 150 pages. Personally I've only once had an airbag problem, and that was on a Chrysler minivan where the coilspring in the steering wheel wire to the airbag went bad (was later recalled, so they picked up the tab).

If you haven't already had your alternator and battery checked out under load at your local autoparts store (PepBoys, AutoZone, etc), do so. Then I'd recommend taking it in to Toyota to have SRS read and reset, or the SRS unit fixed if that is what is needed. If you are lucky, you'll get away cheap. Make sure you tell them that you had to replace the 100Amp fuse because it was blown. If the code read is 'normal', and they can attribute the code to your loss of the 100Amp fuse trip, then they won't be replacing parts that you don't need.

Good luck.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Kiawah, thank you so much for taking the time to be so helpful. I'm sure your posts are useful to lots of people in our community. :)
  • hey guys i have a 2001 camry 4 cyl. and i just put a new battery in the car and about 2 weeks ago everytime i hit my brake pedal all my lights dim this includes hedlights all interior light even the little light that lightes up the miles meter its digital so as i hit the brake pedal light dim but with the brake pedal pressed it goes back its almost like there is a short somewhere i am going to check my bulbs and the alternator but does anyone else have any ideas what could be causing this thanks alot. :( :mad:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,566
    bad ground connection on negative battery terminal?

• My Toyota Camry 98 stopped reading the temperature and tachometer stopped as well. Does any one know where the relay of the windows and the fuse for the tachometer. Thanks in Advance.
  • My Toyota Camry 98 stopped reading the temperature and tachometer stopped as well. Does any one know where the relay of the windows and the fuse for the tachometer. Thanks in Advance.
    I believe the Tach, Fuel, and Temp Gauge all use the same 10A fuse, which is down under the dash in the Instrument Panel JuntionBlock #1, by drivers knee.
  • hey guy i have a 2001 camry i went to get the emission and i did not pass the guy told me if i have recently disconnected my battery i told him yes and then he told me that i reset the computer its been 2 days me driving it and i told it back it still did not pass it. does anyone know the drive cycle for 2001 camry. i need to pass soon i took it to the shop and there is nothing wrong :confuse:
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    They are having a similar conversation about a Sonata here: bill304, "Those Dreadful State Vehicle Inspections" #4, 7 Feb 2007 1:01 pm. I don't know whether someone reading there might be able to help, but it's worth a try while you're waiting here.

Let us know how it goes.
  • The Toyota Camry 2001 needs to run at least 50 miles in order for the computer to go back to normal and the rpm needs to go over 3 when driving.
  • HEY AGAIN ABOUT RUNNING THE CAR FOR 50 MILES AND RMP GOING OVER 3 I DID THAT I DROVE THE CAR ABOUT 600 MILES ALREADY AND IT IS STILL NOT READY
  • Hi, I have a 95 Camry. While trying to remove the tape attached by me, I pulled out both wires from the front left indicator, at that time my car was running. Because I pulled out both of them, it short circuit and blown the fuse, I guess. May I know where the fuse is located for this and what amps required?. Thanks in advance. -Uma
    For a 1995 (Generation 3 Camry), the turn signal fuse is in Junction Block#1 (under the dash drivers side), in fuse slot#6, and is a 7.5Amp fuse.

Good luck.
  • Thanks a lot Kiawah
    You're welcome
  • ajvajv Posts: 8
    Ok.... docholiday2 ...I am in the same soup.. I opened the fuse panel and now I am trying to reach the ALT 100A fuse from under, but in vain... I am at lost to know how to open the plastic cover underneath (without breaking it) to even reach the bolt or screw or whatever it is, :sick: any ideas?
  • Even I was having the same confusion, then found the fuses are in the back side of the left side astray box. You can easily remove the astray box. And I guess, they should have some spare fuses adjacent to the other fuses and they have the table to indicate them on the backside of astray box. Best of luck.
  • Glad I can put some of experience to work. Just by luck, I tried to pull the blue 100 amp fuse out. DONT TRY THIS. This is a bolt on fuse, as is the ABS 60 amp. The relay box has to come off. There are 2 bolts holding it on. There is also an upper and lower sealing case that have to come off. There isn't alot of wire so there isn't alot of play. If your careful, the box can be inverted and there are smallclips that allow the fuse to be pushed through, not up. The two bolts, in my case where on TIGHT. Needed a socket to get them off. Just reverse the procedure and good luck.
  • Sorry bud.....I've been away for a while. I DID take the car to Toyota. I explained what happened to the instrument panel when the 100 amp fuse blew. They said, since the speeometer went from 60-0 in a matter of a second, the sensor interpreted it as a collision. hence, the light stays on indicating that the air bags are disabled. I will try the code idea. Thank you sir. OH, by the way, you were correct. When I saw the Air Bag light I went to the 60 amp fuse and assumed ABS = Air Bag Sensor (duh). Have a good day.
  • The bottom cover snaps off via two pins at the REAR of the relay box then the front should just slide off. There is a gap in the lower cover to allow for the wiring harness to pass. There are two small clips that hold the fuse in. I found a small flat screwdriver worked fine. Once the fuse releases just undo the bolt and replace. Good luck.
  • Both power outlets/cigarette lighters doesn't work in my 04 Camry. The one inside the middle storage compartment stop working first & then the one under the radio stopped working. First I noticed cell charger was charging phone then a few days later my radar detector wasn't working. I replaced the fuse but to no avail. Any suggestions...I read other posts about similar issues but those didn't help....