Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Fuse and Electrical Questions

Comments

• kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    edited March 2011
    If #1 test above does not have power, then pull and check the 40A main fuse. That is what supplies power to pins 2 & 4 on the relay socket.
  • tobias1tobias1 Posts: 1
    wow thanks alot i was having the same problem ,now if i only had a fuse box cover that would be great
  • I am having a problem with my 1990 Camry. The dome light doesn't work. I have tried replacing the bulb and fuse that is under the hood.

My dash lights are also dim when the car is idle, they brighten up when I press the gas.

The dash gear lights are strange also, when in park the P and R light up at the same time. The R and N lights will light up at the same time when in reverse and the Neutral light goes out when in Neutral. The drive, 2 and 1 lights are fine.

I am assuming all of these issues are tied in together somewhere, but I am not sure. I have tried replacing most of the fuses under the hood, but that didn't fix the problem.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    How old is your battery?

• The battery is about 2 years old. The altenator is about 5 years. This problem has been going on for quite a while, since before I changed the battery and altenator. In the past year, I changed out the negative battery cable and the ground. I have had both battery and altenator tested within the last month or so at Advance Auto and both came back fine.

There are other things dash related that might help diagnose the problem. The cruise contol doesnt come right on. When I hit the button, it takes about 10 or so minutes before it activates.

When I turn on the A/C or heat, the first 2 fan speeds do not work, I can only use the 2 higher speeds. The air and heat also seem to dont blow the way they should unless my foot is pressing the gas, same reaction as the dash lights.
  • danspinelldanspinell Posts: 10
    edited April 2011
    I'm wondering if the problem could be the underhood fuse box itself or the wires connected to it. It seems like that is what everything has in common.
    Yeah I was also thinking maybe a corroded fuse box (behind the box) or some bad grounding...maybe engine to frame ground strap?

And I have to say I don't have a lot of confidence in Advance Auto diagnostic reports regarding the alternator/battery situation. On the other hand, I don't think the alternator/battery per se are the issue here. But you shouldn't have such voltage drops at idle.

• When I replaced the negative battery cable, I also replaced the engine to frame ground wire. I have tried searching the web for the under hood fuse box but have had no luck, any suggestions?
    All fuse boxes, relays, etc are located on the left side under the dash. I don't see anything underhood on this year and model.

• My under hood fuse box is bolted to the frame between the battery and the air filter housing.
    I'm just going by the diagrams in the database, so I don't have the car in front of me. ALLDATA says all fuse boxes are under the dash, so I don't know what to tell you. We are talking about a '90 Camry right?

• danspinelldanspinell Posts: 10
    edited April 2011
    Here are pictures of the box and the fuses that are inside. I hope the link works. Please let me know if you have trouble and I will figure out another way to send it.

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm99/danspinell/Fuse%20block/
    Yep you're right. That's called "junction box #2" and here I was looking for a fuse block.

Anyway, my diagram says that you want to check the 20A fuse for the dome and interior lights.

• I have already replaced that fuse. Could the problem be the actual box or wires connected to it? I have probably changed all of the little fuses in that box. If it is the box or connected wires, where can I get one?
    Is it possible to look BEHIND that box somehow? I'm wondering if there's all kinds of corrosion in there.

• It's very possible, my grandmother owned the car before me. I am willing to bet no one has ever looked there...lol. I will look tomorrow afternoon. What do I do if I find corrosion, how do I get rid of it?
    edited April 2011
    Depends on how bad, but if you can disconnect the battery and buy one of those little wire brushes that fit on the end of a screwdriver, that's a good start. Sometimes you have to replace the whole box and re-wire. They also make an electrical cleaner (often right next to the Brak-Kleen at the store) and maybe you can blast that stuff out of there
    (WEAR PROTECTIVE GLASSES!!!!!) :surprise:

• Thank you so much for your help. I will definately try that, hopefully I will be able to get that done some time this week after work. I will let you know if it works.
  • mdevlinmdevlin Posts: 2
    My 2002 camry had the drivers side window go off the track. Dummy me, I tried to put it up and blew something because now all four Windows do not work. My 30 amp fuse is good and my 25 amp door fuse is good. Is there something other than a fuse that I might have fried?
  • jam_injam_in Posts: 1
    I just picked up a 1993 camry staionwagon, and my interior lights for the dash gauges went out, and i replaced the fuse, and had a air bag light that stayed on, i went through and played with a few fused and the ecu-b 15 took that light off, when i pulled that fuse......... the fuse is good?? so now gotta figure out why that airbag light doesn't click off?? so it has something to do with the airbag...?