Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Transmission Questions (MY Prior to 2007)

Comments

• prob1prob1 Posts: 4
    Thanks for your comments. I removed 1 1/2 pints of oil from the engine. The oil level is now at the full mark; not over. The noise is still there. The noise lasts for only a few seconds. It seems to occur when we need to accelerate; in the 0 to 10mph range. However, it is not consistent. Hard to take to a mechanic to solve the mystery if I can't duplicate it. Racking my brain trying to find a word that describes this noise accurately. Do you know of anything else that may cause a noise that sounds like metal traveling through liquid? Coincidentally, the noise started after my last oil change and I have 4200 miles on the oil.

Please advise.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Do you know what the sound of an engine knock is (cylinder detonation knock).....usually first noticed with a bad load of gas or low octane fuel? If so, does it sound like that?
  • prob1prob1 Posts: 4
    No,It does not sound like a engine knock. I know what a knock sounds like due to low octane gas. I am due for a oil change. I am going to report this problem to the Toyota Service Manager to get it on record.
    Thanks for your help.
  • clk2clk2 Posts: 1
    I need some advice, I did oil change on my camry and was told I had to change the tranmission fluid because it is dark and the fluid should be clear and pink, some friends advice that I should leave it alone, as long as there is no problem with it. Please advise me.

thanks
    edited March 2010
    What does the scheduled maintenance guide (should be with your owners manual) say when you should change it, given how many miles you have on your vehicle, and whether you've changed it before or not?

If it's discolored, personally I'd change it if you haven't done it in say 60K miles. If I remember correctly, if you are in special operating conditions they recommend changing it every 30K miles, but most people don't run in really bad operating conditions on a consistent basis.

If you are not the original owner (and know how hard the prior owners drove it), or drive it hard yourself, then I'd definitely change it.
  • i think my transmission may be slipping. not every time but fairly often when i accelerate from a stop it will have a hard time speeding up even when i am stepping on the gas half to just about full way. also when i am stopped and leave it in a gear it will shudder and idle very heavily (most violently in reverse). my friend tells me the trans is slipping and could cost almost 3k to repair. any ideas?
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    Have you checked fluid level as stated in owner's manual. If it is up to proper level, is the fluid nice clean pinkish color, or does it look dark and smell burnt. If the latter, low cost try is to have the fluid flushed and replaced. If that still doesn't work, there are plenty of tranny fluid additives that claim to fix your problem, try one as another low cost fix.
    No offense to your friend, but I would take it and have a professional garage look at it. When I first read your post, it sounds more like an engine problem than a transmission problem (lack of power, shuddering while idling).
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    +1 on engine first, especially the idle air bypass.
  • I have a 2002 camry and I was having transmission issues and check engine light came on, we replaced the transmission solenoid with a used one because it was only one that was not working. I had a mechanic friend do the work. After reading the post by toyota this is a common issue? They recommend replacing it with a newer one. COST $3000. But it feels rough and i think it is not engaging the last shift into the 5th gear. it is automatic with overdrive. 4cylinder. I thought it was going to go out but it still runs. My question is after so long it hasn't gone out what is the problem? Maybe it is not the transmission but it lags in reverse or my friend did not install properly. If anyone has info please help
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    I can't diagnose the problem over the internet, but the 2002-04 Camry has a 4-speed automatic; the 5-speed was introduced in the 205 model year.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    There is at least one solenoid in your transaxle that is used in a "linear" fashion. If that is the one replaced the battery needs to be disconnected for 10 or 15 minutes to force the ECU to learn the correct control parameters for operating the new solenoid.
  • adbsadbs Posts: 5
    I have an '03 Toyota Camry. Yesterday morning after I put the car in drive and started to drive it hesitated to change gears for approx 1 minute and then it did and drove fine the rest of the day. It also drive fine this morning. We took my car to a transmission shop this morning to have it checked out and we have been told that "the fluid was darker than motor oil" and "there was very little pressure" and that the transmission needed to be rebuilt. I have 117,000 miles on this car. Is there anything else that could be the problem other than needing the transmission rebuilt? There have been no other problems other than yesterday.
    How cold was it outside yesterday morning, and is the car garaged?
  • adbsadbs Posts: 5
    It was probably low 40's and no, we do not have a garage.
    OK, then it wasn't cold enough to cause the delay in upshifting, which can occur on a cold start when temps are well below freezing.

At this point, I'd say simply to drain and refill your transmission's fluid, if it's never been done before. But do not have it flushed, and don't go back to the shop that said it has to be rebuilt. It sounds like they have $$$ signs in their eyes!
  • Purchased my 2007 Toyota Camry brand new. Transmission fried itself at 30,000 miles. I was told by the dealer in Augusta Ga that this was the first transmission their dealership had
    replaced and very unusual for it to happen. January 28th 2011, my son drove my Camry from South Carolina to Pittsburg, PA. Just as he arrived at Pittsburg, the transmission started slipping. Next day on the way to the dealership, the car just stopped in the middle of a very busy street. So....this is now transmission 2 fried and 3rd transmission to my car. The Car has 52,000 MILES! My son is stranded in PA. I call Toyota Corp and ended up screaming at the idot on the other end. They are acting as though I am having my muffler changed instead
    of 2 freaking transmissions in 52,000. I own two small businesses and would never treat my customers this way. The dealer that just replaced the 2nd transmission cannot tell me why
    the transmission failed. I argued that at this point it is clear that it's not the transmission stupid, it's the CAR. I believe there is a problem being sent by the computer to the transmission that is incorrect. The service manager told me that when they connected the car to the computer that he had never seen so many codes on the screen. I asked howmany transmissions he had replaced at his shop and he told me this was the first. Looks like Iam in the market for an attorney....this is just plain wrong.
  • dcking09dcking09 Posts: 3
    My daughter has a '95 Camry and it's acting really wierd. I'm not sure if it's the transmission, something electrical or what. At any random point and speed while driving, it seems to kick itself out of gear. There's no warning, no lights come on or anything. When we're driving down the road suddenly it loses power and the RPMs jump up as if it drops to the previous gear. When it does this you can feel it catch that lower gear but you have to allow the car to slow down for it to begin to run normal again. Sometimes this happens while the overdrive is activated, sometimes it don't and sometimes it happens before we even activate overdrive. Sometimes this happens but once in a day and sometimes it will happen about every other mile. I can't seem to force it to happen and there is nothing typical about each event. At one point we had problems with her car not starting while the previously mentioned was taking place. This was traced to an after market alarm system that we were unaware of and once it was removed several other issues were revealed. Her starter was replaced and we had problems with the Neutral Safety Switch. Now we need to figure out why it's doing what it's doing now. If you have any ideas I would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,633
    Doesn't it only drop out of overdrive, or are you saying to would drop, say, out of 2nd into 1st at low speeds, or are you not sure which gears drop?

If you aren't sure, you can lockout the overdrive I believe with the "hold" button and then test to see if the transmission still does this.

Certainly, checking the fluid level of the transmission is the first step.
  • dcking09dcking09 Posts: 3
    I'm not sure which gear it's dropping out of at the time it chooses to do it but it's definitely random. It'll do it at 65 mph and at 25 mph. Sometimes it runs like a charm when the overdrive is locked out but again that's just sometimes. It's crazy...