Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Fuel and Fuel System Questions

liaisonliaison Posts: 47
Can anyone tell me if the V6 Camry requires premium unleaded?

Comments

• The 3.3 & 3.0 V6 engines can use 87 Octane, but the Owner's Manual states: "For improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91 or higher is recommended". Go figure!

I typically use 87 in my 2004 SE V6 (3.3) for normal driving to work and back, without any engine knocking, but I do use higher octane when I'm traveling on long drives. In southern California I like being able to drive/pass slower cars/trucks quickly especially when I'm going up a steep hill.
  • cpocpo Posts: 23
    Not that I'm unimpressed by my 99's performance, but would it help or hurt to use 91 octane in this 2.2L four cyl.? Any thoughts? Thanks.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    It won't help the car's performance to use premium gas in the 4-cylinder. Save your money.
  • FYI...

I changed my FUEL FILTER at about 15k. I bought the part myself at Toyota (I think it was about $20-$35) and installed it myself.

I'm now approaching 45k and I expect I'll do it again as soon as the weather gets warmer (it's 3 degrees here today!).

In order to do this, you need a special wrench called a FLARE NUT WRENCH. DO NOT attempt to do this unless you're using this tool.

You CERTAINLY need to use TWO wrenches simultaneously, but I don't remember if the second one HAD TO BE a flare-nut type.

It probably takes anywhere from 20-60 minutes to do the job, and you should EXPECT that you will have gas leaking out for a few moments.

The most important thing is to make sure that when you're attaching the new filter you get a PROPER SEATING of the nut. If you don't, you'll be in BIG trouble. SO....don't force it and take a very close look to make sure it is going on properly.
  • makarandmakarand Posts: 3
    Hi,

I ve bought a 2005 Camry. Is there a maximum speed recommended
    for new vehicle fo first 1000 miles or so ?

-Makarand Vaidya
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    No, no maximum speed, but just for the first 1,000 miles vary the speed occasionally. So don't set your cruise control in NYC and drive to LA. Seriously, just vary the speed by 5-10mph every 15 minutes or so when you're driving.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • makarandmakarand Posts: 3
    Thanks ! In fact I was planning to drive from NJ to Niagara and
    wud probably ve put cruise for extended periods of time.
    I wont use it this time then. Got good advice in nick of time !

Thanks again.

-Makarand
    You're welcome.

Glad I could help and I'm surprised (maybe not) that your sales consultant didn't go over this with you when you picked up your car.

Ken
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    I would further add that you should seriously consider taking back roads instead of interstates, if you have the time. It's difficult to vary your speed all that much on interstates, especially considering the high speeds traffic moves on these roads. On back roads, you do more climbing, descending, and slowing down for towns and sharp curves.

I did this on a recent trip from VA to IN, since my car only had 600 miles to start. I took 2-lane roads through the mountains of West Virginia.
  • ektaekta Posts: 2
    Hi all,
    I'm new to this forum and toyota camry ( i bought it 3 weeks back) i got a used 1996 camry. My question is what is the recommended fuel (octane level) for 1996 camry. i've been trying to look it up on the internet, but it was of no help. I'm currently putting 89. Please advise.
    Thank you

Ekta :)
    87 octane is the mimimum required.

Ken
  • grant2grant2 Posts: 30
    My 2000 Camry LE gas pedal, sometimes, sticks, and hesitates when depressed. In order to accelerate, forcible pressure is sometimes necessary, which leads to accelerating quicker than normal. Any ideas?
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    Most likely the throttle plate needs cleaning. It's located where the flexible hose from air cleaner meets the metal throttle body. Remove the hose and sparingly use carb cleaner and Q-tips to clean the around the plate, the plate pivots, and where the plate contacts the throttle body. Carbon buildup causes the stickiness, it is not the throttle cable sticking.
  • Thanks for the advice. Paid $2 for carb cleaner. No problem since following your instructions. Before getting your advice, a dealer service mechanic said it would cost at least $50.
  • johnxyzjohnxyz Posts: 94
    Just did a tune-up on my Camry but I am hesitant to R&R the fuel filter (I have already bought one).

When I unbolt the In and Out lines will gas spurt out? How do I prevent gas from streaming out?

Can I unbolt the In line from the engine bay or is it usually accessed from under the car? The Out line looks easily accessible from the top of the engine bay.

I rather not go to a garage or dealer for this fuel filter change.

Thanks in advance for any step by step instructions or advice. John
  • My 1998 Camry (only 70k miles) has had a horrible sulfur smell whenever the engine has to kick into gear to pass or go up a hill. When the sunroof is open, it is unbearable. It comes through the vents when the roof is closed, so I get the smell no matter what.
    I took it in to a dealership years ago (I bought it used and it was out of warranty) and was given the "service bulletin" regarding it and told that there was nothing I could do (recommended to change gas brands, which I have done with no success).
    Most will say it is the catalytic converter, but I know this is a common problem with Toyotas (the service bulletin confirmed it) and the converter is "too efficient". A buddy bought a new Lexus SUV a few years ago and noticed the same issue. The Dealer replaced the converter with a "less efficient" one rather than take the SUV back.
    My question is ... is there a solution to my problem? I don't mind replacing the converter if it resolves it but I'm not sure it will. My car was originally built for California and I know they have higher emission standards. I've had a shop adjust and replace other emission parts but no help.
    I really like the Toyota -- any thoughts on how to fix??
  • bildowbildow Posts: 100
    Have you tried going to a muffler shop and have them put on a higg flo catalytic converter this allows the converter to pass the gases quicker and usually no smell. I have had the same problem here in California and replaced my converter and no more problems. :shades:
  • awpawp Posts: 5
    Toyota has had this problem for years. My 2002 Camry has this same problem. There is a TSB (EG013-04)for 02-04 that includes a replacement cat and reflashing the PCM. The fix did not work on my car, and now Toyota is saying there's nothing they can do. I suggest you contact EPA in Ann Arbor Michigan and find out what they are doing about earlier model years. They are the ones that pressured Toyota to come up with a fix for the 02s. Toyota is reluctant because there's so many cars out there with the problem .

As far as using a different fuel, that will only have a limited effect. The entire country is going to low sulphur fuel soon so that might help if you are in an area that doesn't already have low sulphur fuel.
  • venkynvenkyn Posts: 6
    I just purchased a 99 used camry with 37000 miles on it (Evans, Georgia). When i start the car in the morning, I get a blue colored emission from tail pipe that lasts a 5 seconds after which it is colorless. What is this blue colored emission due to ?
    The engine sounds smooth (no odd noises), drives very smooth.

thanks
    VEnky
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Blue colored smoke is typically a little bit of oil that has seeped past the valve stems/seals and into the cylinder. When you start it, it burns the oil up and shoots it out your tailpipe. Would be surprised that you'd have that problem with only 37K miles, typically that occurs which much higher mileage vehicles.