Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Fuel and Fuel System Questions

Comments

• I have a 97 camry v6 with 160k. It will crank and start just fine, but after about 3 seconds it dies like it is out of gas. If I restart it, it will crank normally and start right up, and do the same thing. It dies every time, without fail. If you press the pedal, it will run a little longer, but the rpms keep falling until it dies. If you hold it at 3 thousand or higher, it keeps running, but roughly. I don't know too much about cars and can't afford to play the guessing game. I think it must be fuel delivery. could it be a fuel pump? fuel filter? fuel pressure pump? some kind of sensor. any ideas are appreciated. thanks
  • Sounds like an air induction problem or the computer getting a bad fuel/air mixture signal.

Check the duct going into the intake and big rubber hoses attached to the intake manifold and this duct. It starts at the air filter. At three thousnd it might not pick up the air leak since more air is running through the engine at that speed.
  • I missed runs rough after starting at 3000 rpm's.

I d do your own compression check on the front bank and the one spark plug on the rear bank of cylinders. To get started, you need a spark plug socket and ratchet and extension, plus compression gage at Sears $30.00 dollars. Check My Carspace.
  • I had my brother help me look at the car. We couldn't find any vacuum leaks. He did an old fashioned test of putting a little bit of gas in the air filter to see if the car is getting fuel. Sure enough, the car ran fine until it burned out the gas, and then it stalled. He thought that was a sure sign of a fuel pump problem. We replaced the fuel pump, and it did not fix the problem. It did not seem like there was much or any fuel pressure in the lines. Is there a way to check the pressure in the line? Is it possibly some air flow issue still, even given the fact that it keeps running with gas poured in the air ducts (which seems like fuel delivery to me)? What about EGR or iac valves or mas airflow sensor? These parts are expensive--is there any way to test them? the car is throwing a code, but I don't want to spring a hundred and fifty bucks for the reader unless it will tell me exactly what is going on. Thanks
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Is the fuel pump turning on, and pumping fuel? Does it have electrical power?
  • yes, the fuel pump turns on (I can hear it), so it's not the fuse or electrical. Now, I don't know if the pump is actually pumping or if the fuel filter is allowing fuel to get pumped.
  • If the air duct from the air filter has a crack, it screws up the mass air flow sensor readings and runs poorly.

I'd remove it and look under it for a crack along a seam on one of the ribs. A squeeze test of this duct while running, will cause it to stall out.

Dont buy a Mass Air Sensor till your sure it is bad. I bet if you disconnect the Mass Air Flow sensor it will still run. Some cars computers go into default and will still run on the default settings if it senses a malfunction in the Mass Air Flow Sensor.
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Good Morning All:

I just returned from a road trip to New York State. I traveled at 70mph on the NYSTW, and the vehicle got 31mpg! ---- This was achieved on 87 off-brand fuel. ---This is OUTSTANDING for a V6 engine.

On entering the highway from a rest stop, I accelerated "hard" to see how this vehicle would perform. Within seconds it reached 80mph! ----- The shifts were smooth and positive. (The vehicle peformed like a "ROCKET"!) This vehicle could easily cruise at 100mph! (I would love to try this for about 1/2 hour somewhere if "RADAR" was not an issue !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)--------- It is truly a road car! --- (Life was more fun years ago without road radar.)

Best regards! ------------------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • I have a 1997 toy camry with 256K on it. It is a 4cyl. It will start and run great, however when you give it gas it chugs and close to stalling. When you give it gas slowly it will not chug, well just not as much. When you give it gas it is very slugish. check eng light came on. Could this be a trans or fule system problem? What could be doing this?
    Could be any number of things. Take it somewhere and have the computer read, which will give you the error code. That error code will tell you the area that is causing the problem. Many autoparts chains will read the error free of charge for you, and suggest what the parts are to fix the problem.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    ...256K........

Burned/leaking intake valves.

Combusted gasses only leak back into the intake manifold and ignite the gas there (stumble..) with HIGH cylinder charge volume.
  • skoman1skoman1 Posts: 2
    Help... Took my Camry in after the check engine light came on, dealer stated "need to replace right side air flow sensors and the manifold" based on the codes extrated... $1500.00. Car has 68,000 miles on it and runs like a top. Service manager states the air flow sensors are measuring the air and fuel mixture incorrectly (to lean).

Anybody heard of this? Can't find any info on this.... Help.
    You are not providing enough information.

Did he tell you the error codes that the computer had in it?

You indicate that he is going to replace the air flow sensor AND the manifold....which doesn't make sense for a first time diagnostic problem. I can see replacing a sensor, I can't see replacing a manifold unless there was reason to believe it was cracked or a gasket bad found through other testing.

Get the error codes from him, or if the light is still on go to an autoparts store where they can pull the error codes for you.

Is he talking about the Mass Air Flow sensor, an Oxygen Sensor, or something else?
  • Hey thanks, I got error P0441. It says it is a leak in the VSV or bad charcoal system. How do you find out if you have a bad VSV. They all seem to be pushing air flow. However one is not??? Should they all be pushing air when you take the hose off?

Thank you!!!!!
    You should look up TSB EG036-06. Your vehicle may be out of warranty, but some of the system may be covered by warranty. Don't know the VIN number of your vehicle, and whether this applies to you.

I tried sending it to clindstrom@carspace.com, let's see if that works

You need to go to your carspace area, your toolbox, then mailbox section
  • Finally got the codes from the service manager,
    He stated that these codes (P2195, P0171, P0174) had to do with the oxygen sensor's measuring "to lean", therefore sending data that more fuel is needed and the engine is burning more fuel and emitting more emissions into the environment than it should. He stated "Toyota's fix for this includes changing the O2 sensors and also changing the manifold to a newer style manifold which positions the sensors in a better position" I told him it is a very costly repair for me and he suggested an option of just replacing the O2 sensors with the style that is on there now for a cheaper option.

He said another set of codes also appeared (P0441 & P 0446) that deals with some type of air leak in the fuel system, but does not know if that has to do with the above mentioned problem that is all related.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. How difficult is it to change the O2 sensors on my own?
    That is certainly clearer now. They are referencing the exhaust manifold, which is what bolts on to the side of the engine and captures the exhaust gases from the cylinders, and then starts to feed it down toward the exhaust pipes and catalytic converter. An O2 sensor sits before and after the catalytic converter, and the computer uses those engine output signals to adjust the 'input' fuel mixture.....to get a clean burning mixture.

O2 sensors do go bad, and are reasonably easy to replace. Personally, I would think long and hard about replacing the exhaust manifold.....they would normally last forever on engines, there is nothing to wear. I think I'd be calling the service manager and ask them to escalate to Toyota on your behalf. If there really is a new design manifold, and they are stating the old design is designed defectively, then I'd ask for Toyota to eat the cost of the replacement. I doubt that they'd do that, but I'd be asking.
  • Car ran lousey for a day then it stalled and would not start.Should I be able to hear electric fuel pump when key is in start posision?>
    I doubt it, unless you have really good hearing. I've never heard a fuel pump for any of the vehicles we've owned over the years.
  • thanks fror advice