Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Fuel and Fuel System Questions

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    A DC ampmeter in place of the fuel pump fuse would tell you.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    The fuse is on a circuit with other things.
  • camry will not run , i was told it is not the fuel pump a guy changed it out and then put the old one back on. the next day the car started and ran for a week. same thing then happened. it would not start another guy checked fuel pressure and it would not hold fuel pressure. thought he found a loose efi relay it then started and ran for another week. now wont run again could it be the fuel pump ? or is it electrical please help
  • I ALSO SWAPPED OUT THE BLACK FUSE/ RELAY BOX WITH A KNOWN GOOD ONE FROM ANOTHER CAMRY BUT THIS DID NOT FIX IT EITHER
    Unless one of the injector has failed, is failed, the fuel pressure should take seevral minutes to "leak" down.

Was the old fuel pump put back in because the car failed in the same way with the new one..??

Intermittently sticking fuel pressure relief valve would be my next guess/trial.
  • where would the fuel pressure relief vavle be located ? the car would not start at all with the old or new fuel pump thats why the old one was put back on/in. the car majically started up after the old pump was put on. we tried jumpering power to the fuel pump and the car would run for 6 - 10 seconds at most then stall
    There is a fuel line coming from the tank/fuel pump and another one back to the tank from the pressure regulator. The pressure regulator bypasses excess fuel/(pressure) back into the tank. Some mechanics would temporarily pinch off the return line (vise grips or hemostat) to see if that allows the pressure to rise.
  • Im trying to replace the fuel sensor in 2000 camry, do I have to take the whole tank off or is there an easier way?
    Take the back seat out, and get to the top of the tank from the access panel.
  • 27282728 Posts: 2
    1999 Toyota Camry-recently i have been having difficulty putting gas from the nozzle to the tank at normal squeeze--it shuts off. if i squeeze the nozzle very lightly its OK but it takes forever to fill tank. It will either shut off at normal squeeze, or even overflow badly. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be or what to check? I'm 83 years old and need help! Thanks.
    Put the nozzle into the filler tube further, or turn the angle of the nozzle, you're probably not putting the nozzle into the filler tube correctly.

Try going to a different gas station to use a different pump.
  • 27282728 Posts: 2
    Hi Thanks, but I've tried this already! This is something that has just happened all of a sudden. Is there a filter or valve that could be clogged or stuck?
    To completely fill the tank, it might take over a half hour or more now!!
  • chip65chip65 Posts: 1
    Purchased a 2010 Camry XLE 4 cyl last week before the recall. Just my luck. Was informed by the sales people that Toyota is now recommending synthetic oil and a change frequency of 10,000 miles or one year for this car. This isn't out in any manuals as yet and Toyota could not tell me when it would come out or how the info would be sent to customers. Check with your Toyota service departments.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    There's no filter in that location, nor to I believe any kind of valve.

You should take the car to a reputable mechanic; you certainly don't want to risk spilling gas on yourself!
  • richzimmerichzimme Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    Mechanic replaced the 0 rings, but car (2000 Camry) continued to leak fuel (very heavily). The leak occurs about every other day and I can't pinpoint why, although it seems to occur mostly when the tank is mostly full. The day after my mechanic replaced the 0 rings, it was leaking again, so I brought it back and he couldn't determine where it was leaking. So, I brought the car to another mechanic that told me the 0 rings were done wrong, so he redid them. The next day, the car was leaking gas again, so I brought the car back (three days ago) to the mechanic. He tightened a "clamp" but the car continues to leak gas nearly everyday, but not continuous. Sometimes, it does not leak. When it leaks it literally pours from somewhere near the fuel rail/injectors. To me, it looks like the fuel line near the rail or the clamp. The terrible thing is that it doesn't ever leak like this for the mechanic. I videotaped the leak on my iPhone, but the mechanic told me it's too difficult for him to pinpoint where the leak is coming from unless he can see it leaking. Anyway, should I replace the fuel line? Regulator? Any suggestions as to why the leak is so intermittent would be much appreciated.
  • Thanks, both mechanics are reputable. They are very well known franchises.
  • otovweotovwe Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 toyota camry, recently the consumption of fuel has been very high. The car consumes a full tank of fuel in less than 100miles. Initially I taught it was the plugs, but after changing the plugs the problem is still on. I noticed the new plugs have carbons and same with the exhault having huge deposit of carbon as well. What do I do to solve the problem.
  • otovweotovwe Posts: 2
    My toyota camry 2000 is cosuming so much fuel than it use to. I have tried changing the plugs but the problem is still on. The plugs deposits of carbon same with d exhaust. Which shows complete combustion is not taking place.
  • I am having te same issue, did you ever find out what the problem was?
    thank you
  • auustsirianniauustsirianni Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    I have a 1993 toyota camry, I recently changed the valve cover gaskets and a few other things.Here is my question: Before puttng the intake back on, I noticed a wire on the rear fuel rail and it was broken off. Looking into the firewall area, I only saw a connector and want to know if I broke the connection when I had to pull the wiring harness almost out of the car to get to the rear plugs and the rear valve cover bolts. I have worked on engines for over 50 years, and this v6 camry is the most difficult vehicle I have ever worked on. Can someone give me a idea where that wire needs to be reconnected to? Thank you I reexamined the wiring harness and that wire comes out of a slot in the harness itself. Could not be connected to the fuel rail harness, so it must connect to something else down under the firewall area, does that make any sense?