Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Audio Questions

Comments

• rsantan1rsantan1 Posts: 11
    Nope. Ipod sounds great on my 2007 SE V6. Make sure the cable you have is good quality and connected properly to the iPOD and the AUX input jack.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Nope, works fine...use it all the time.

Would suggest isolating the problem, by trying a different cable, and a different ipod. Make sure you are using the right cable, check closely the plugs on the end, that they have the correct number of metal partitions (each one is for a different internal wire), and that the diameter is correct.

The plug on both end of the cable, should look exactly like the regular ipod earphone jack.
  • yossarian3yossarian3 Posts: 30
    It was the cable. I went through some old cables I had and found one that worked perfectly. I had bought a brand new one at Radio Shack so I figured that should do the trick. The plugs were the correct size and the connections were tight. But the cable must have been bad. Now, it sounds great.
  • lagirl1lagirl1 Posts: 4
    We just bought a 09 XLE with a JBL audio system. Almost no sound comes out of the woofers in the doors. When we brought the car to the dealer, they compared the sound from the speakers in our XLE with another XLE on their lot - the speakers worked the same in both cars - so they said nothing's wrong with the system!!! Am I crazy? When I turn up the bass and turn the high and mid range down, more sound comes out of the mid range speakers in the dash than out of the woofers in the door!! This can't be right. Help!! What should we do? How can we convince the dealership that's not how the audio system is supposed to work???
  • robinn37robinn37 Posts: 1
    My iPod sounds fine when I play it using the AUX adapter in my 2009 Camry. However, if I also connect it to a charger placed in either of the 2 power outlets, there is noise coming through the speakers. Therefore, I can either charge the iPod or play it, but not both at the same time. I tried the same iPod, cables, and charger in someone else's 2008 Avalon, and there was no noise when both playing the iPod and charging it at the same time. Any suggestions? I am going to contact the dealer this week but would like to know if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks.
  • chrisg43chrisg43 Posts: 1
    Recently my 1999 Toyota Camry will lose the radio memory when i shut the car off about 75% of the time. I have checked the fuses and the battery all is ok. Any info would be greatly appreciated
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    There are two fuses which feed the radio power circuitry, the 20A Radio#1 fuse, and the 7.5A Radio#2 fuse.

The 20A fuse is connected to a buss which gets it's power from the fusible link block up in the engine compartment, thru the main 3watt fuse. That is connected to the battery.

The 7.5A fuse, gets it's power from the ignition switch when turned to accessory or ignition position. So this power is expected to get turned off. Doubt this would be a problem area for you.

You should check the 20 Amp fuse, and might also want to check for corrosion and continuity on the fuse buss...although I would think you would have other problems if the fuse buss was a problem.

If those fuses turn out okay, then I would check that the voltage at the 20A fuse is at least 13Volts.You may have corrosion in a cable or connector somewhere which is dropping the voltage too low.

If all of those check out, then your radio might itself be the problem. Personally, I'd hang a voltmeter off of the 20A power feed at the radio and watch it carefully when it fails, before I'd run out and replace the radio. If the voltage stays up at the correct voltage and you loose the stations (from the power dropping on the radio#2 fuse as it should), then the radio would be the problem. If the voltage off the power feed drops too low, then you need to back up thru the circuitry to measure where you are dropping the voltage.

You should also recheck your battery voltage with a digital voltmeter, just to make sure it's up where it should be.

Good luck.
  • timcamtimcam Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with the 2009 Camry LE I purchased yesterday. The sound is horrible. The 2006 Solara I traded in had much better sound. The sound I have now reminds me of cars I had in the 1980's. What's really scary, though, is the account given at the site below, a guy who hated his 2008 Camry sound system enough that he replaced everything with $1,500 of pretty good gear, and still has mediocre sound (though at least vastly improved). He fears the speaker placement may be part of the problem.

Some of the posts at the other site suggest that JBL is not producing much quality these days. I don't know enough to comment, but if the Camry systems are any indication, that assessment is correct. You might try pushing all the sound to the front speakers to see if you like that any better, and maybe jack up the treble to +2. Shouldn't have to add much if any bass. Good luck, but I fear we're screwed here. A nice car with crap sound. How sad is that. http://www.camryforums.com/m_10578/tm.htm
  • lagirl1lagirl1 Posts: 4
    It is very sad. I am continuing to pursue the issue with Toyota. So far we've been told that the system performs the way it was designed. If that's the case, they need to go back to the drawing board. Their own advertising says the system provides "dynamic bass response." http://www.jbltoyota.com/toyota_camry/default.asp From their website: "The new Camry is the first Toyota to take advantage of JBL’s new Distributed Subwoofer System (DSS), which optimizes base response throughout the cabin in unique fashion, utilizing 4 unique, high performance 6 x 9 inch woofers in the front and rear of the cabin to accomplish this feat." The problem is, the sound from the front woofers isn't as advertised - it's distorted - not even close to "dynamic." I don't know what the fix is. I think it may be that there isn't enough power to push the woofers. In any event I will continue to complain until something is done about it. I hope others will too. Toyota and/or JBL needs to step up and fix the problem. I shouldn't have to take money out of my pocket to fix their faulty design and/or equipment.
  • tomi21tomi21 Posts: 2
    I purchased an 07 SE V6 in Dec 07 and I have had my stereo replaced already for the same reason mentioned above and that was approximately 2 months ago. Well I had my car into the dealer for some warranty work and as I pulled out the radio would not change - turn off on. I turned around and went back to the dealer to show them that this was happening again and what do they suggest. I did not have my ipod plugged in and have not had plugged in for a while but this is getting really old to have this happen - any suggestions. I am calling back on Monday to set up another appointment - somehow I do not feel the problem will be resolved with another replacement if the first one didn't work.
  • We just purchased on 09 LE with the standard stereo and aux jack for the ipod. We are thinking about installing a new stereo that has bluetooth and navigation, don't have to have xm or disc changer since we can connect the ipod. I called the dealer and was told it was around $1600 to order and they told me to look into the aftermarket somewhere else. We have found several sites online, including e-bay, to purchase the system and install ourselves. Has anyone done this and how did it turn out? What brand of system was purchased and installed? I really don't want it to look as if it was not a factory installation. Any suggestions?

Thanks
  • Three months later, after much effort -- and even after we were told by Toyota that all XLE audio systems sounded like ours (and no thanks to the service dept. at dealership in Opelousas, LA where we purchased our 09 XLE) -- we were able to get a second Toyota rep to evaluate our audio system. He brought along a rep from an audio vendor. They listened and also ran a test mode on our system and found that the amp was not performing properly. Thank goodness someone finally agreed with me!!! I was beginning to think I was crazy. The amp has been changed and it's made a big difference. My music no longer sounds "unplugged." I am happy with the outcome, but I am not happy with the fact that it took so much time and effort to get results.
  • rataeratae Posts: 1
    I have a camry 2004. Does toyota sell new MP3 players and install them?
    ratae
  • I have had problems with my CD player for a while now. I'm a single mom and went the easiest route - I bought a used one, same model. So all I have to do is switch them out.

However, I have looked and looked online and can't find out the steps to take apart the dash to get into the head-unit area. I found a couple of sites for similar cars, but I'm really hoping to find step-by-step instructions for a beginner like me - without having to pay anything. Any ideas?
  • What year is the Camry with the bad CD player and need installation instructions?
  • 2004 - and yes, I need installation instructions.

Thanks.
  • message #9,10,11 in this forum has instructions.

I replaced radios all the time on late 90 Camrys and it sounds like the procedures are the same.

Use a screwdriver with tape covering the tip and pry up on the edge of the plastic trim around the back edge of the console gear shiter, left and right side. Then work around the rest of the piece until it comes out completely pops up. Next remove the 4 bolts that hold the radio in place. You need a 10mm size socket with a ratchet or a Phillips screw driver will work if you press hard.

Let me know if this is good info or not. When I see a 2004 I'll know if this info is the same for a 97 removal.
  • petras2petras2 Posts: 104
    Is the jbl option worth it or could I do better with an aftermarket speaker/amp setup for around the same price? I'm looking for a refined quality, not boomy sound...thanks
  • does anyone have a wiring diagram to help us wire a radio into our car. was bought used and does not have radio
  • I don't have the diagram handy, but I can tell you the wires usually without stripes are power on, power accessory, power lights for face plate.

Id would buy a cheap voltmeter from Radio Shack, $4.00. Hook it up to the wires one at a time and go through the positions on the ignition key, and the power from the interior light fuse for the lights on the radio.

Car volts are not harmful you can put your hands on the battery post, Neg. and Pos. and you won't get shocked.

I have a spare radio but haven't trouble finding the right connector for it so I can use it in my old car, and wire it up to the the wires that are there.