Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Navigation System

123457»

Comments

• shc7shc7 Posts: 1
    I recently bought a Camry Hybrid 2011 with Nav. I was a Garmin Nuvi user with a Camry 2004 XLE. I liked the Garmin. The 2011 Nav is one of my favorite things on the vehicle. Enter the Address before you leave and there's no issue. It does give you a time estimate and works off the XM Traffic. You can select preset addresses while driving and you can use voice commands.

It doesn't allow you to type in addresses while driving, which I consider a good thing. Turning off the Camry Nav voice is just as easy as turning off the Garmin voice. You can also turn off auto screen change not to back to the map in 5 second in the settings under setup general.

I would never go back to a Garmin Nuvi that I have to pull off the dash and store away every time I leave the vehicle. I love my Camry Nav. The Camry Nav woman's voice is great and I would never want to change it. I could never find a decent voice on the Garmin and I love the Camry Nav lane assist.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    edited February 2011
    Different strokes for different folks, I'm exactly the opposite as I prefer the portable Garmin. It's more personal tastes.

- costs substantially less
    - have them in all our vehicles, so no matter which vehicle one drives the GPS operation is the same. No learning curve when moving vehicle to vehicle, or if the vehicle is replaced with something else.
    - can carry and use in a rental vehicle when travelling, or take with you when someone else is driving their car (just in case)
    - can buy a brand new one and get the latest maps, for less than an update CD for manufacturer installed units
    - passenger can change destinations while driving, finding gas stations, food, points of interests

Not having to put away when stopped, and the 'look' of an indash unit remain advantages to car manufacturer indash units.
  • The points you make are valid; for some circumstances! I load my first address before hitting the highways, however, quite often I will receive an appointment cancellation and a new address to proceed, and I can have that entered into my Nuvi in about 10 seconds while still avoiding those idiots crossing into my lane while texting! Safety-wise, you are absolutely correct, and if I were that type person, I should also be checking my tire pressures, all my fluid levels under the hood, verifying all my lights are working, all before hitting the road. But that's not me. In fact I have never met that person. But do tell, how do I get the Nav screen to stay on AUDIO function as a default?
  • rozilrozil Posts: 1
    hey guys !!! how do you fix 1997 toyota camry's dash clock that is near the steering wheel ??? every thing is working good but just the clock doesn't work ..... what should i do ???
    reply soon plZZZzzz
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    check the fuse
  • I just bought a used 2002 XLE. It comes with an in-dash console fro audio and GPS.
    Here's the issue I can't seem to fix. When its on the radio (audio) the panel display turns off after a few seconds. So if I want to change the radio station I need to press Audio and then chnage the station. How can get the panle display to stay on...always? Thanks
  • AXM23AXM23 Posts: 64
    Does anyone know of anyone who has/had a defective NAV screen? 1500 miles into my 2011 Camry my NAV screen cracked as I was attempting to enter a new destination address with my pointer finger! I can no longer use the touch screen but the map and radio still work.

Toyota does not want to cover the damage under warranty. I am shocked that they are not covering the damage under warranty. Even the service dealer acknowledged that the damage appeared to be caused by a finger but still refused to replace the unit.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • I have had this happen to me every time I tried to pair my phones. What I did discover was that when the screen says it is transferring and seems to be frozen, I would make a call and my phone was then paired and stayed that way until I got a new phone. That was the result of many hours of trial and error. My actual discovery came when I was attempting to pair and received a call. It worked. Good luck. No such problems in my "07 and '10 Prius'
  • Street addresses in the NAV database are configured using a matrix grid system on a map. Basically, the grid has house numbers spread evenly along the grid. In reality, the builder and the post office spaced the numbers in numerical order. This permits locating a street address in its approximate position to assist emergency responders. To create a database with the exact location of every building in the country is not practical. Driving down the street looking for 127, you will know when you are in the right block and you can slow down to look for it. Before the grid system, homes were all over the place. The 1500 block of different streets would have no relation to each other on the map. This is a pretty good system. Many people expect it to do more than it can.
  • mdchachimdchachi Posts: 275
    Go into the general settings menu and turn off auto screen change.
  • againagain Posts: 2
    When contacting cruisin@live.com for the NAV DVD with OVERRIDE, make sure your Toyota/Lexus uses the Gen5 navigation system and not the newer gen 6 found on 2010 and 2011 cars as it will not work. Also, the disks will not work on any Prius due to a inferior DVD player. AVAILABLE NOVEMBER 2011 will be Ver 11.1 with override for Gen5. email your requests now.
  • awp6awp6 Posts: 1
    2011 XLE Camry. In dash navigation system: Entering addresses: How do I enter a dash - in a phone number? There is no dash on the screen for me to select so I enter a star to separate the first 3 numbers from the following 4 numbers. The owners manual picture shows a dash in a phone number but I can't find the command to enter the dash.
  • gobetsgobets Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    I just bought a pre-owned 2010 camry with all the bells and whistles. I was very excited with it at first, till I tried to use the navigation. Even when stationary, I cannot input addresses as the button is grayed out. I can also search POIs only with phone number !!! All other options are grayed out!!! this is ridiculous. The voice command also does not work, even though the botton on the steering wheel is recognized in the diagnostic screen, which means the button works.

Does anyone know anything about this? I am very disappointed with the Toyota.

I appreciate any replies or help in overcoming this.
    Which button, exactly, is grayed out? Did you make sure to set up your region at the beginning of setting a destination? You can't go to set an address without first setting the area you are in.
    Should be no need to enter a dash. Just enter in the numbers.
  • I have a question: i just bought a 2012 Toyota Camry SE with NAV, but some how the Navigation is not working right. anyone able to help me? when i drive on the highway the NAV not showing all exits or street name alone the highway..
    for ex:
    || ||
    ||*Fish Hatchery Rd ||*Park St
    || ||
    ========================================== highway
    || ||
    || ||
    || ||

not showing any exit or the street name on the Map, just the road with no exit and no name of the street.">
    Is this the "Display Audio" system (it has an "Apps" button) or the "Premium Nav" system (it has a "Map" & "Dest" buttons)?

In any case, this sounds like something you might to contact Toyota for.
    http://www.toyota.com/help/contactus.html
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    We don't permit buy/sell offers in our Forums. In addition, this "backup copy" may (or may not) be illegal to sell or redistribute.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• we are in the same boat, was curious if you were able to figure this problem out.
123457»