Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Start Up/Ignition

Comments

• mdp35submdp35sub Posts: 4
    Have a 2005 Classic 35500 miles. At times car will turn over, but will not crank. After trying for several minutes it starts. Noticed this issue happens with the A/C on and when its hot out. Anyone had this problem or knows what causes it. Dealer checked it, but said problem could not be located unless this happened while in in their care.
  • maxxindmaxxind Posts: 22
    It may be vapor-locking. This could be your problem if the car is hardest to start after it's been sitting for a fairly short time when you try to re-start it. Vapor lock is caused by excessive heat under the hood causing the fuel in the fuel lines to vaporize after you shut the car down.

Some gasoline is more prone to do this than others, and you can't really generalize by brand names because it varies by region and station, so if you have usually been buying your gas at one place, try buying it somewhere else. I believe that super unleaded has less tendency to vaporize as well, so you might try that as a test. Try to find gasoline without any ethanol in it if that's possible in your area.

A solution to this problem (if it's vapor lock) is to have the radiator fan set up to run for a few minutes after shutting the car off in hot weather. I don't know if the computer in your car can be programmed to do this, but there are other ways it can be done, such as with a relay. But since you're under warranty still (barely) I'd stick with the dealer at this point and mention the vapor lock possibility, and see if they have any ideas for how to keep the fan running.

If the no-start ever occurs when the engine is cool (car has been sitting for several hours, even in hot weather), then it's likely not vapor lock.
  • prdmprdm Posts: 145
    Vapor lock no longer an issue with fuel injection systems.
  • shadow5599shadow5599 Posts: 101
    And what may I ask is a 05 "classic".
    Is it a 05 new design or is it a 04 old design?
  • e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    Chevy Classic was the name used for the old version of Malibu after the new version came out in 2004
  • mdp35submdp35sub Posts: 4
    2005 Classic is Chevys rental fleet car. Its a Malibu with a different name. Figure that? A 2003 body style Malibu with 2005 mechanics. :)
  • shadow5599shadow5599 Posts: 101
    Then I gather its a 03, mechanics and all. 3.1 litre engine, hydralic power steering, NON epsilon platform, etc.
    Aboslutely NOT comparable in any way to the new generation of Malibus. You may notice a lack of complaints on the new generation of Malibu, a much different and much better vehicle. If you've driven both, you'll know what I mean.
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 871
    Yes, no 3.5 L in the Classic.
  • I had the vapor-locking issue with my 2004 Classic Malibu (basically a 2003) last summer, but it would do it when I stopped at a stop sign off of the interstate in Macon (200 miles from home--Chattanooga). It shut off, and I had trouble getting it to start. After stopping and starting for about a mile, I finally pulled into a Cracker Barrel and called the Chevy service station to pick it up. A week later, they said they found nothing wrong with it, and it was fine for the rest of the summer. This summer, it's doing about the same thing except it starts losing power while driving on the interstate (after a couple of hours on the road). In order to accelerate (and sometimes to maintain speed), I have to push excessively on the gas pedal, and of course the RPM jumps and all that nice stuff. I noticed this problem when driving back from Savannah in May, but it was just losing power and shut off when getting off of the interstate and pulling into a gas station. A little cooldown and some fuel injection cleaner, and it was fine. Today (on the way down to Savannah), it started losing power and shaking severely (like I had a flat tire or a couple of flats) after a couple of hours. Again, fuel treatments and a cool down, and it was fine until we hit Macon (where my car loves to end up--their service station!). I'm renting a car for the rest of the weekend until I can pick it up Monday since they told me they will have to drive it for a while to find the problem. Anyone else experience this? If they can't find the problem, I'll leave it there until they do :mad: :lemon: !
  • I have a 2002 malibu with 119,000 miles and yesterday it just died on me no warnin just acted like it ran out of gas and quit. i checked the fuel pressure at the rail and there was none, checked the pump to find that it was not kicking on. So today i changed out the pump and filter put it all back together and still no start, no fuel at the rail no pump rnning. I checked the voltage at the relay and im getting 12v in i replaced the relay and still nothing. At the pump wiing harness i am only getting 5 volts not sure if thats god or bad but i need help cant seem to figure out where to go from here :sick: :lemon:
  • We all know how frustrating intermitant problems can be. I have an '05 Malibu LS V6 that just had it's seventh visit to two different dealers in 18 months, for the same problem. Every 10 or so starts, the engine turns over for an unusually long amount of time (about 5-10 sec.), before finally starting up. Sometimes it turns over and stops without ever starting. Of course, every time I take it in to the dealer it acts fine. I don't hear any grinding or metal to metal that would indicate a mechanical problem, but the fact that it shouldn't be doing this has me worried. Any thoughts?
  • e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    I would suggest providing dealer with TSB #06-06-04-049 and have them see if that PCM software update is applicable to your vehicle. This is a fairly new TSB (just came out last week).
  • billbbillb Posts: 14
    I had the same problem on occasion with an '05 Maxx. The dealer updated the PCM codes on 8-21 and the problem has not returned. My repair ticket notes code 10620, whatever that is.
  • tcontastcontas Posts: 10
    I have the same problem from time to time. If you don't mind, could you give a brief summary of what TSB 06-06-04-049 says? Before mentioning it to my dealer, I like to have an idea of what problem it's supposed to address. Thanks very much.
  • After months of being in and out of dealerships, it appears as though my starting problem (msg #33) as been fixed. Since Chevrolet was getting nowhere with my Malibu, I took it to the local Cadillac dealer. Aside from one of the service writers being an *!#hole, I was very impressed with their work. Apparently, a faulty Body Control Module was to blame for the problem. It's been a couple of weeks since it was replaced, and so far it's acting fine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that it won't act up again. I guess time will tell.
  • mr_botsmr_bots Posts: 225
    Just within the past month my car has started to shudder right after starting and putting it in gear. It only does it first thing in the morning, I start it, idles perfectly fine but as soon as I put it in gear it starts shuddering then usually revs up to 1500rpm and then settles down fine. But the car has stalled several times. It only does it first thing in the morning and no other time. Oil is not low and has 70% oil life remaining, all other fluids are good and air filter is clean. I live in Southern NM (desert) where the lows have only been around 40-45 so far.
  • yerth10yerth10 Posts: 428
    My Chevy Malibu has a problem with Ignition Switch and the Dealer says that it will cost $450 to fix it. Any idea as whether its the correct price and what will happen if its not fixed.
  • rvothrvoth Posts: 147
    If it's the key cylinder in the dash. Price out a new key/igition switch and then phone up a few good locksmiths that can install the unit.
  • Please can you help me?
    Just bought 2006 Malibu LS, 13K, within 2 weeks noticed it felt like it was going to stall when at red light, floored it, was okay. Frankly, I just put it out of my mind because I couln't bear the thought that I just spent all this money on a lemon. Anyway, gave it to my son to drive to Va. (about 1500M), did fine until last leg of the trip, he's on the highway doing about 60 or so when suddenly the car won't accelerate past 30M. One mechanic said it might be "bad gas" he put in? Put in hi-test, same thing happened. Brought it to a Chevy dealer down there, they did a computer check, guess what? Can't find anything wrong! Does anyone have any advice, suggestions, ideas?
    Car is still under warranty, I am very concerned son will have an accident if this car won't accelerate when it has to. Is there a specific test I should request from the mechanic? I was reading another web site on the Malibu and most of the cars were 2000's, what a nightmare, fuel injection, gasket, etc. Has Chevy fixed these problems in
    the last 6 years or did I just committ to a huge car loan for nothing? My sincere thanks to anyone who can help.
    Cindi4031
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    Try to isolate when the problem happens and take it your dealer to have them fix it. you are still under warranty.