Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Start Up/Ignition

123457»

Comments

• For what it is worth, I had a long history of the car intermittently not starting. I tried all of the standard remedies and finally took it to a shop near me. Turned out to be the ignition switch itself. Changed it for about 300$, have not had any problem since.
  • p1676
    p1665
    p0135
    p0141

P1665 GM EVAP Vent Valve Solenoid Control Circuit
    P1676 GM EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid Control CKT

as a note, this vehicle has a bad battery. I plan on replacing it tonight. Not sure if that could possibly be related.

I've got two o2 sensor codes which I've had forever. I've now got the two top codes related to the evap.

car won't start unless i spray some sort of flammable spray into the air system. Then it runs just fine. I don't know where to start. I've hear an ignition system is a common cause of this which would suck because I just replaced the ignition lock cylinder. should have replaced the whole thing. LOL.

I've also heard that if the EVAP is having problems it can blow gaskets, foul plugs etc. It also says something about vacuum leaks but I would think the car would show that when running. It runs fine. Just won't start without spray. And I wouldn't think the ignition would be this either but I obviously don't know much.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,013
    Well sounds like your problem is fuel delivery. I wonder if your fuel pressure regulator is draining (leaking) and you're losing fuel pressure in the fuel rail. Have you done a fuel pressure test with a gauge plugged into the fuel rail just prior to a hard start/no start?

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• What you would like to do first is get a pressure tester on the fuel system and see what it reads whenever you just turn the key on......it should read around 60-65 psi. If it does that's great but let it sit and see if the pressure drops....If it does drop then that will cause a hard start whenever it sits for a while ie. when you try to crank it in the morning...To fix that problem you would have to pull out the fuel pump and take out that line between the actual fuel pump and the line coming out of the fuel pump top.....it looks like a line with 2 humps which contains the check balls that go bad.....replace that with a simple straight fuel line and you'll never have a problem with that again.....

If you get no pressure at all, you will want to start by going to the fuel pump relay and finding that lead that supplies power to the fuel pump itself.....send power to that wire and listen for the fuel pump to kick on, you can also see it on the fuel pressure gauge....if you get nothing then put it all back together and have someone beat on the tank with a rubber mallet or just straight hammer will you try and crank it and if you get it running that your for sure in the market for a fuel pump.......

I hope this helps
  • a Gm doesn't leak fuel pressure at the regulator but more so the check balls inside the tank between the fuel pump and the line coming out......replace that double hump setup with a straight fuel hose and your good to go...
  • HELP anyone. two weeks ago my malibu was stolen. (why i have no idea) any ways i now have no ignition just the plugs to plug one into. So i went to pic n pull got what i needed but now have to have key made. does anyone no how to put it in after i get a key made? someone told me it cant be done but i just dont think that is true. what wasn't there i have now so its just the connecting it all that bogs me. aggravated and fed up.
  • 05mal05mal Posts: 1
    I've had similar problems for the past couple months. I've also had issues with the vehicle not starting right when it is "luke warm". It usually starts the second attempt, but struggles the first time. I have noticed that my gas cap isn't fitting appropriatly and that needs to be replaced. But EVERY time I fill up with gas, when i'm driving down the road after the gauge goes to empty and the low fuel indicator comes on. Some times when i'm driving it will build back up, sometimes it takes until I start the car next.

Did you have any luck in resolving this?

I have a Chilton Car manual and the trouble shooter section says that the fuel pump and or fuel filter may need to be replaced. I'm capable of both tasks, but Before I spend a few hundo on parts, i'd like to think that im' buying somethign that will actually solve the problem.

Thanks

Tom
  • haulthault Posts: 124
    Did you ever figure out why your Malibou engine temperature gauge was not working? I am having similar problem now on my 04 Maxx.
  • I have been having trouble with my 2000 Malibu starting. It was working fine. Then my engine had problems, and I had to have the gaskets replaced, as well as the battery and some other parts. Now, it takes several tries to get the car to start. If I turn the key to the "on" position first and let all the lights come on and stop blinking (usually takes 10 or so seconds), the car will start the first time maybe around 70% of the time. Also, every once in a while, the engine stalls when I am driving it. It will restart immediately. I took it to the mechanics, but they couldn't reproduce the problem, so they couldn't diagnose it. What could be the problem?
  • cpaiz89cpaiz89 Posts: 1
    did u ever find out what wrong with your car. because i have a 2003 chevy malibu with similar problems
  • There is a sensor on the ignition assembly, and a magnet in another part. We ended up replacing everything, key and all. We were reluctant to spend money, when we did not know it would fix the problem. But that did solve the problem. I would recommend getting all of this off of ebay, or Amazon.
  • lhw87lhw87 Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    I am having the same issues with my 2005 Chevy Classic. Have had the ignition replaced twice. I keep telling the dealer that the problem is the theft deterrent system, but what do I know, I'm a woman!!! Anyway, my key does not have the "+" stamped on it, and the dealer also keeps telling me that the system cannot be bypassed. Do you think your instructions will work on my vehicle? Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!
  • sperksperk Posts: 1

Does anyone think this new ignition recall will be effective regarding the passcode problems?

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,100

What troubles were you experiencing with your passcode, sperk? If this is something we can look into further just private message us your VIN and mileage, with a few more details of your concern. Thanks!

Amber N. GM Customer Care

@sperk said: Does anyone think this new ignition recall will be effective regarding the passcode problems?

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    edited July 14

If your Pontiac Grand Am or Chevy Malibu has ever had ignition problems, a reporter would like to hear from you. Please email PR@edmunds.com by Tuesday, July 15, 2014 to share your story.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

123457»