Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry - Repair and Owners Manuals

Anybody have a suggestion for a good diy manual? I have the Haynes, but I was reading about the cabin filter today and the book lied. It said '99 and up (I have a '99 Camry) have the filter behind the glove box. So I take the thing apart and there's nothing there. I think having too many variations of a car in one manual leads to poor quality. I am thinking about getting a Chilton's.

Comments

• haefrhaefr Posts: 600
    If you really want to do it right, order the factory shop manual from the rear of the owner's manual or the dealer's parts department. Yeah, it'll cost more, but it's guaranteed to cover your car. By the way, where else could the cabin filter be? It has to be in the airflow of the heater core/AC evaporator case in order to function. Some cars have access to it through the cowl fresh air intake. But, these filters are more commonly located where the Haynes book referenced. It would probably be a slide-in affair covered with an exterior hatch cover that has to be unlatched for access. Anyway, good luck. Like the punch line from an old Ronald Reagan joke about an overly optomistic little boy who wanted a pony for Christmas but got a load of horse manure in the front yard instead said as he tore into the manure mound, "That pony's gotta be in here somewhere!"
  • Thanks for the help. Another thing that makes me wonder if there is a replacable cabin filter is that a Google search does not turn up anything. Other model year filters are easy to find, but nothing for the 99. I searched a handful of online auto parts stores.
  • Is the factory shop manual as easy to read as Haynes?
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Yes, it is, if not more so. The cabin air filter started with the 2002 redesigned model.
  • First post here. Pick up Camry on Monday evening. Anyone know if the owners manual is available to download? It would be a help. Thanks
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    Not sure about the owner's manual but the maintenance schedule is available online at Toyota's site.
  • coolair4coolair4 Posts: 1
    I have recently purchased an '03 Camry SE. Can anyone direct me to a pretty good source of printed (or online!) tech information I can use for maintenance work? I found the owner's manual to be a little light on things as basic as changing plugs, PCV valves, etc.
    Thanks!
    Your best bet is to buy a Toyota Camry factory service manual on eBay. It would be best to purchase the one covering the 2003 model specifically, but any years 2002-06 would also work.
  • uhariuhari Posts: 9
    I recently purchased used Toyota Camry 2001 model from a certified used car dealership. Since it did not come with an owner's manual, I was wondering if there is any place I can download one.

Thanks in advance,
    Usha
    If it was a Toyota (dealer) certified vehicle, couldn't you just ask the dealer to get you one (for free)? After all, the car was sold as certified.

If I misunderstood, and the dealer is not associated with Toyota, then it's not really a "certified" car. The easiest way to find a manual is to look for it on eBay.
  • uhariuhari Posts: 9
    I will ask the dealer. The dealer is with Toyota. I did not know that :)
    Thanks,
    Usha
  • Anyone got some advice on this? I need to change the filter, but the dealer repair cost is outrageous. I'm told you have to remove the glove compartment drawer. Can anyone help out here? I don't mind doing the work, they said it only take about an hour. I just don't want to pay the huge dollars the dealer wants to charge.
    The Camry and Prius both explain the procedure in the owner's manual. The ES 330 should have the same explanation. The filter is housed behind the glove compartment, as you state.

The actual time to change it is no more than 15 minutes, if you don't get hung up with trying to get the glove comp. door back on and/or moving any wiring out of the way to better access the filter.
  • can anyone tell me if the rotors come off separately from the axel on a 2002 camry (front end)? thank you
  • lovecdlovecd Posts: 50
    I recently noticed that those transmission gear marker did not lit up when I switch on the lights on my 97 Camry. I checked the owner's manual and did not find any chapter addressed this problem. Anybody had such experience before and know how to fix it?

Many thanks!
  • I have an 05 LE I4 and an 03 4R V8 Ltd. I bought the "Toyota" Repair manual for the 4R and it is a little difficult to use and does not give helpful hints. I had a Caddy STS once upon a time and bought a Cadillac Repair manual for it and it contained lots of helpful hints and cautions and warnings and was easy to follow and easy to find the right page quickly. The Caddy manual also had a full detailed description at the beginning of each chapter on the parts explained (in engine, tranny etc). I want a Camry manual now and will probably go with the Toyota manual because it is model specific.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    If you search around the internet a little bit, you should be able to locate some Camry manual samples, which you could review to see if they contain the details that you are looking for before ordering from Toyota.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Posts: 934
    Its a 2002 Camry...the indicator light (P, R, D etc) blew out...how do I replace it. Thanks.
  • pops10pops10 Posts: 1
    Just trying to figure out how to extract a piece of a broken key from the ignition. Ive tried a few simple things that haven't worked. The broken part of the key I have will not let me turn the key at all. 1-How to remove key? 2-how to remove part to get key out? 3-at least how do I disable the steering lock mech. so that I can drive the car. It's an old '89 Camry. ANY help anyone can be would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for all help!!
  • Hi. New to this website--I have a chilton manual-it is wrong sometimes, too....can let you know what was messed up on the car....It says that I have axles from an automatic-I have a 5-speed in the car..... :confuse:
    Paul