Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry AC Questions

124»

Comments

• jomarexjomarex Posts: 4
    I took it to the mechanic before it got hot enough to need the A/C. He says it has a full charge of refrigerant, and it never quit blowing really cold the whole time he burned up a lot of gas, idling it to see if it would quit.

Last year, it would blow hot intermittently; now, it only blows cold for a minute or two after I start the cold engine, and blows hot the rest of the day while I keep driving around. It appears that if I let the engine cool down enough, then it will blow cold for a minute, then hot. It's only been hot outside the last couple of days, though.

I have fixed a lot of things on cars, but know nothing at all about A/C...

any ideas for me?
    thanks
  • nightfall1nightfall1 Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    i recently bought a 40000milles 07 camry le the ac unit was not working i took it to the repair shop the unit was flushed and gas replaced but i noticed any time i switch the ac the engine drops like the compressor is sucking the life out of the engine the compressor finally broke down after a day i had it replaced but still the dropping of engine power was still on i used it for several months and again the compressor is dead please advice me on what to do.
    i need all the information i can get i leave in a remote area where the service personnel dont really know a lot about the 07 camry if i can get any advice i could supervise in fixing the problem
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Toyota often replaces the evaporator with this condition but even if they do the condition will most likely return.

First, DO NOT allow the A/C compressor to run unless actual cooling, initial cool down, is REQUIRED. A/C dehumidification of the cabin airflow results in the evaporator, think SPONGE, being left saturated with moisture once the A/C is switched off.

Dark, moist, dank A/C plenum, perfect breeding area for the microbes whose "leavings" produce that rather horrid mould and mildew odor.

In the mean time it helps, really helps, if you can leave the windows lowered, even slightly during times the car is parked under shelter. That allows the accumulated moisture to evaporate and be flushed out of the cabin.

Many upscale vehicles now have a UV light mounted within the A/C plenum to combat the microbe breeding. Toyota has experimented over the years, since '91, with several anti-microbe, fungicide, coating on the ~10,000 sq. inches of evaporator surface area. These have either been found to be detrimental to human health or wash away too quickly.
  • My 2005 Camry is blowing hot air with the indicator light flashing. I have checked other online forum early this summer (May) and following the suggestion, I replaced the clutch relay (placed in the fuse box under the hood) and after done that the AC went to back normal. Then just last week, the AC broke again. I unplugged the clutch relay and put it back on, then the AC started working just fine. However, yesterday, the AC stopped working again. Does anybody have any idea what's wrong with my AC? By the way, it also seems like the AC is more likely to broke when outside temperature is hot.
  • Hi: the car is a '98 camry le, 4cyl with 95k on it. a couple of months ago the AC began to get weak and i was hearing a noise that rose with engine speed, then fell as the tranny shifted. It goes on when the AC clutch engages. Goes off when the clutch disengages. As mentioned, AC output is weak now.

Local shop says compressor, probaby the bearings, is going bad and quotes me roughly $900 to replace compressor and drier, and maybe an expansion valve.

Questions: does this diagnosis sound correct and does the rough estimate seem appropriate? Since we are going into fall and I've dropped about $2,350 into this car in the past year I thought I'd wait to spring. (previous work was oil pump seals, water pump, timing belt, starter, battery and new tires)

Thanks.

EliotB
    Annandale, VA
    Your engine is "threatening" to overheat and the A/C is disabled automatically.
  • vinbetvinbet Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 99 solara, read about blending doors,and switches, and vacuum lines and after I spent many hours and scraped knuckles found nothing! As a shot in the dark I tried one of those cheat Walmart/autozone 134 recharge cans..... Worked great for the rest of the season, come to find out it was just low... It's starting to get warm again and same thing, thinking I had it all figured out, tried this agian... All I found was two empty cans and no ac.... After looking further I found the actual problem. The thinner line (liquid line) coming from the firewall to the dryer has come loose from the clips and was rubbing on e belt creating the leak. $85 from the dealer waiting on it now. This is why I'm back on the Internet ... Looking for an easier way to replace this line... Lots of bending and spinning to get the old one out. Worried about damaging the new one when I put it in. Also question if I should replace the dryer since I'm there anyway???
  • I have a 2004 toyota camry and every time we drive for more than 30 minutes it stops blowing cold air,but if we leave it sit for about 4 hours and leave again it will be ok for about another 30 minutes.This happens every time we get in the car.Can anyone help me with this.
    Thank you.
    Air stops blowing altogether, or stops providing cooling..??

For the former your evaporator is likely freezing over/up.
  • it stops blowing cool air,but it keeps blowing just air
    Engine tending toward overheating maybe.

In that case A/C will be disabled if the engine coolant temperature gets too close to overheating, not actual overheating, just close.

Check for failure of the radiator cooling fan(s) and in various operating modes, high speed, low speed, etc.
  • I have a 2000 Camry XLE with Automatic Climate Control (ACC) for the last 12 years. The ACC works fine when the car is started from cold i.e the air blower slowly adjusts its temperature to the desired setting. However, after about 30-40 minutes of driving, the ACC starts blowing out colder air progressively and gradually reduces the temperature. If I manually increase the temperature setting, there is no effect on the ACC and ACC does not respond till I reach Max/Hot. As soon as I set the temperature to HOT (or maximum), it starts blowing out hot air at Maximum temp at full speed.

My mechanic first replaced the Thermostat. Then later he replaced the Dashboard ACC control unit with a used unit from the junkyard, but the problem is still the same.

I have taken the car to two more mechanics as well as to a dealer. I haven't been able to resolve this as yet. Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions or recommendations will help!!

Thanks!!
  • mufassa63mufassa63 Posts: 1

We have a 2002 Toyota Camry with the same symptoms. I cleaned the filter and the A/C light was still flashing. I ran to Autozone and picked up a $15.00 a/c clutch relay and now everything is working fine.

124»