Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry AC Questions

s15as15a Posts: 14
I've had this problem for at least 1 year on my 2001 Camry with 30K miles on it now. I'm getting literally tired & sick of it. My 1990 Camry with 130K miles does NOT have this problem. It smells fine, even though its over 10 years older.

In the 2001 camry, the smell goes away, once I let the air run for a while(without recirculating it). We live in relatively dryer dallas/ft. worth.

anyone recommend a solution? Is it a "moldy evaporator"? My neighbor has 2 camrys both with over 45K miles on them(2001 and 2002) and he says he does not have this problem. So what gives here?

I'm "sick" of this new camry, almost thinking of selling it. Should not this be covered under the warranty? Please help.

thanks.

Comments

• Hi I've been noticing more water under my car when the ac has been on. I know there should be some water spot on the pavement but this one is huge? Any suggestions what it could be.

Brent
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    The more humid the air, more water will be seen. The warmer the air, more moisture can be held by the air and seen when using AC. Use recirc. mode when outside temp. is hot to reduce AC compressor load(saves gas).
  • scotttscottt Posts: 4
    Sounds like your AC drain box had a clog in the line that cleared itself when the water level got high enough. LKucky it did not start dripping on the inside of the car, leads to mold, mildew and smell.
  • mrzsolaramrzsolara Posts: 1
    My 2000 Solara recently started leaking water out of the vents under the passenger side seat onto the floor while the A/C is operating. Any ideas how to fix - is this a simple do it yourself job or must the car be taken to dealership?
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    That may mean that the drain is plugged (you used to see water under the car when you parked it after the A/C had been running, right?) You need to find that drain tube and unplug it. Probably means getting under the car.
  • snhoj2usnhoj2u Posts: 4
    I've had the same thing happen on different cars. Two quick ideas to try.
    #1 - get a piece of coat hanger wire or the like and send it up the drain tube to dislodge any obstruction. The drain tube is under the car behind and towards the center from the passenger's front tire.
    #2 - if you have a shop vac, put the hose over the drain tube and suck out whatever is obstructing the drain. May need to jam in some shop rags to get a good seal.
    Invest some time...save some $$$. Good luck.
  • xenos_inxenos_in Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,
    I have a 1997 Camry LE with about 120000 miles on it. I have done pretty regular maintainence and oil changes on it. Recently I noticed that whevever I turn on the AC, engine makes more noise and while driving I can feel that pick up is affected if the AC is on. Now I know AC tends to load the engine but is this a bad sign. Is there a preventive action that I can take? I am going to change the oil in my car next week so I can include this too if there is something that you guys suggest. Thanks

There is something else off the topic that I want to know too. I just have a jack in my trunk and no other tools. I was wondering if there was any kit that I can keep in my car in case of emergencies. Thanks
  • loucapriloucapri Posts: 214
    1) the AC issue sounds ok to me, I too have a 97 LE with 110k miles. I have no concern about it at all since AC tends to put a heavy load on engine. You have regular services on your car, I think it should be find.

2) have you look under the piece of board that sit on top of the spare? There should be a tool for you to remove the wheel nuts and wheel covers. I don't use that at all because it's so difficult to use that thing to losen the nuts. Instead, I got a impact wrench ($29), an air pump ($19), a travel kit (jumper cable, flash light, lighter)
  • midorigalmidorigal Posts: 8
    Hello,

I just purchased my Camry about 3 weeks ago and already had/have questions! Toyota Ken was nice enough to help me the first time and I wonder if he or other experts are still available?

I'm started to notice my Camry is leaving a pool (small) of water. I only notice this if I stop by home after work and then go out again. Usually I go to work and the car gets parked all day and then go home, so maybe it's doing it more often and I just didn't notice.

I use the A/C all the time because it's been so hot, could this puddle of water be condensation (as a co-worker suggested)? Or is it something I should worry about? Sorry to be so green about the whole thing, it's been so long since I've had a new car and my old one used to leak oil so I'm very wary of all leaks now! :blush:

Much Thanks!
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    Two things for you. First, in all liklihood, the fluid you're seeing is the condensation from the A/C. This is normal with any modern vehicle using the A/C. To double check, before getting home (about 5-10mins before) one time, turn the A/C off. You can still use the fan, but don't have the A/C button engaged. You should not see the water pooling under the car.

As a recommendation in the future as well, anytime you have a leak you see under the car, place some newspaper or paper towel down where it's leaking. If there is only one leak, you'll be able to see what color it is (to tell what's leaking) and if there is more than one thing leaking, as it absorbs into the paper, the different fluids will separate as well so you can tell that too. If it's just water, it will evaporate so you'll know that too.

Hope this helps and certainly lets you breathe easier.

Ken
  • midorigalmidorigal Posts: 8
    Thank you so much ToyotaKen for your reassurances and tips!! :) :) :)
    I will certainly try that driving home and place papers if I notice another leak. I hope that won't be for a looong time!

You are the BEST!! ;)
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    You're welcome and I'm sure you're going to have a long, pleasant ownership experience.

Ken
  • vskrvskr Posts: 2
    check your canster i had this problem i use to get gas smeel i have to replace the whole canster at the bottom of the car appox 600 dollars.
  • adbsadbs Posts: 5
    I have a '03 Camry and this past weekend the AC Indicator light started flashing. I looked in my manual and it said that there was a problem with the AC and therefore it automatically shuts off and that it needed to be serviced. I took my car to the shop last night and they just called and said that the main relay switch went out and that it needs to be replaced and that part costs $140.05. He also said that sometimes this doesn't fix the problem and then I would need a new clutch for the compressor and if so, that part costs around $600.00. Should this be happening on a '02 Camry? My husband has a '96 Tacoma and has never had a problem with his air, much less anything else for that matter. Thanks for the help!
  • eg3941eg3941 Posts: 2
    I have had several Toyota products over the years but my 2005 Camry LE has some air vents near the floor in the rear of the console that even on hi fan speed are useless in this Texas heat. I notice the the XLE model has different type vents that seem to be more effective. Why would Toyota engineer two different vent systems and don't they test these things? What a waste of money and time. Any comments? Ed Gober
  • njeraldnjerald Posts: 688
    I don't know anything about your 2005 LE but the '07 XLE has the vents in the rear of the center console that are operational when the air selector is set to the high vents and the under seat outlets flow air when the foot selection is made on your console.

They will both flow air (hot or cold) when the selection is set for both high and low air split.

You might check your owners manual for your 2005.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    In the '04-'06 Camry LE/SE, those are not air vents at all at the base of the console. However, vent outlets under the front seats direct only heated air to the rear seats. They do not convey cooled air -- wouldn't make sense, since cooled air would remain down low.

The XLE has dedicated vents in the rear of the console that do carry cooled air.

To get more a/c in the rear of the LE or SE, you have to increase the fan speed and direct the center vents to blow into the space between the two front seats.
  • njeraldnjerald Posts: 688
    They will convey cool air if you direct the cooled air flow at your feet or split between feet and high, won't they?

Cooled air doesn't just sit on the floor when you are circulating air in a 102 ft3 space.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    You may be right -- I'll have to check it out.
  • I have a 95 Camry 4 Cyl. The A/C works fine for about 30 minutes then begins to blow hot air. In the morning when it is cooler it seems to work fine. Freon level is good.