Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Venture Transmission Issues

Comments

• 442dude442dude Posts: 373
    The MAF is located between the air filter and the engine intake. Its the square looking thing with a wire connected to it and a short length of hose on either side of it. There's also an arrow on it to tell you which way the air should flow through it so you know which way to put it back in.

The cleaner comes in a aerosol can and is made by CRC (maybe others too?) You can find it at any decent auto parts store. Just be sure to follow the directions on the can to a "T". And don't let the little red hose on the can contact any part of the MAF sensor.

Good Luck,

John :shades:
  • duraflexduraflex Posts: 358
    Turns out my whining noise and the feeling that I was driving on under-inflated tires or that car would not shift to 4th gear was NOT a transmission problem.

The problem was a BAD FRONT WHEEL BEARING.

My local BP garage mechanic put the computer on it, found no transmission codes or anything else wrong with the engine.

He said I had a bad wheel bearing. He replaced it and now the 2000 Venture drives like new with 70,000 miles on it!

Cost was $400.

My clue that they were on the right track was when I was driving to put the car in Neutral and let it coast and it still dragged. To me that meant it must not be a trans problem.
  • I have a 2000 Venture and I had that problem and throwing diferant types of codes. The mechanic I used to work for had me take the mass airflow sensor off and clean it with throtle body cleaner spray and a Q tip. Make sure all the stuff is off the wires then put it back together. Worked good for me. No running problems or anything for a while. But my tranny is acting wierd it whines shift hard sometimes and now shudders, I have to let is set when I start it cold bfore it will move.
  • A couple of days ago I ran over a backpack blower that fell off someones truck. I immediately lost automatic shifting ability and later all ability to move. I found that my transmission line was snapped and pulled out. I replaced the line and all transmission fluid and oil. I was told by the chevy dealer that I would not need any pressure on the line for the transmission to reengage. After I replaced it it still fails to engage let alone shift into any gears including R. Anyone have advice for a person trying to save a buck.
  • happy new year to all. I would like to ask if anybody has experienced this on their venture and if they have an answer. my 02' venture's 40k miles odometer. starter burned out w/out warning, i replaced it only to find out it could barely crank.double checked everything.electrical all ok. tried to manually turn crankshaft main pulley and starter ring gear with a socket wrench and pry bar. no budge.before i disassemble the tranny. is it possible the torque converter seized? van was running great no tell-tale warnings or anythig out of the normal. thank you
  • rhtransrhtrans Posts: 84
    If the fluid levl is not full then its an internal transmission problem...make very sure the level is correct. Low fluid level can cause all of these complaints.
  • rhtransrhtrans Posts: 84
    No...torque converter not siezed...unbolt the converter bolts will verify it.
  • fleastifffleastiff Posts: 51
    The shift lever moves freely without any resistance but it does not shift the gears. The transmission is presently in reverse and I can not shift the gears at all.
    Someone told me its a linkage problem but I have no idea what that means.
  • cach22cach22 Posts: 12
    I have read all the posts in this forum and it sounds like the problem with my Venture is the pressure control solenoid in the transmission. I will try cleaning the MAF first to see if that helps at all. My 2000 Venture is shifting roughly. I have had the transmission flushed and added some cleaner (Sea Foam) brand. It seemed to do the trick for a while. But the improvement only lasted a week or so. Now the jerky shifting is back and it appears to be gradually getting worse. I just have a couple of questions. I have not noticed a whine (other than the power steering whine) that many have mentioned here. Will the pressure control solenoid be bad without making the whining noise? My second question is... Is it hard to get to the pressure control solenoid? I guess I am hoping that I can drop the pan and get to it that way rather than take it to a transmission repair shop for $900 worth of repairs.
  • 1999 Venture LT bought new for wife, began shifting rough after 15,000 miles, dealer replaced trans, OK for a while ... after 30,000 miles began shifting rough again, dealer replaced trans again, OK for a while ... after 50,000 began shifting rough again, dealers says sorry ... still shifts rough more often now ... until I shut off for 10 seconds or more then will shift perfectly and after a while begins to shift rough again until I shut down for 10 seconds ,... been doing this for years .. now has 140,000 .... whining occurs when shifting rough ... appears shutting down resets something electrical ... not a mechanic but trying to get an answer for my mechanic to hopefully find a simple fix ...
  • azuazu Posts: 84
    Sounds like a failing PCS (Pressure Control Sensor). Mine at 133K is starting to act up.
  • When you shut down for 10 seconds or more does it correct the shifting??? and thanks for your input...
  • When the gear shift lever at the driver's wheel just moves freely, it usually means a small plastic/rubber cap has come off the transmission linkage just a bit in front of the firewall.

I know I need a new one but I don't know whats its properly called.

Cap? socket? I only want to replace what is really necessary.

Chevy Venture 2000.
  • my transmission started whinning about a year ago shifting rough now it will not shift past 2 nd gear and it winesover 40 mile hr car dealer said 2 nd 3rd shift solenoid still same problem
  • Good news I changed a few plugs & wires it ran great, but I messed with the wires & the tble started again with the jerking, maybe the distributor or a wire close to it. Let me know if your mechanic figured it out.
  • My daughter parked her 2000 Venture at work, when she went to leave no transmission at all. I checked and the shift lever is moving on top of trans and rod into trans seems to be turning shift linkage moving arm and rod never had one fail like this? is their an electrical plug or connection that will cause an instant failure? fluids full and clean. something internal that could cause this? anybody else ever had this??
  • cat1516cat1516 Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    My Venture has been doing this for years. I've taken to different mechanics and nothing has stopped it. Odd that so many people have this problem and they cant fix it. Why turning the car off for 10 seconds makes it stop is bizzare, but it only works for a while. It drives me crazy.
  • gwmsgwms Posts: 3
    On round 2 of the transmission rebuild. Word from the shop is that everyting mechanical has been replaced. Now they are hunting an electrical problem. The symptoms are the well known transmission whine, hard shifts, stop, turn the engine off and wait a minute and it runs fine. They have replaced the PCM during the rebuild. Any suggestions what to do next. Perhaps the PCS was bad on the new unit? 2000 Venture 143K. Thanks for the help.
  • I have a 1998 venture and seems to be having problems with trans.
    While driving it sounds as if there is a strain on the engine it shifts into gears but continue with that dragging sound as if it has not shift into another gear.
    Sometimes it wants to shut off and it accelerate high when I am driving slow or if I am idling. Even if I put the van into neutral it still does the same.

Please help!
  • Did you ever figure out what was going on? My Venture is doing the same thing. The guy next door is a mechanic, hooked it up to the computer and he told me it's the pretty control solenoid. I took it to a transmission shop up the street and they want $1200 - $1500 to rebuild. Said no thanks and took it home. I may just take it to the dealer.
  • cach22cach22 Posts: 12
    No, I never did. The jerky shifting seems to come and go whenever it pleases. I have noticed that it is most notable when it is hotter outside. Why? No idea. The Lucasoil treatment seems to have made an improvement although it does not solve the issue completely. I have just learned to live with it. I hardly notice it when driving anymore even though it still happens.
  • gwmsgwms Posts: 3
    The trasmission shop went through 4 transmissions, the last a new factory transmission, the main computer, new transmission cooler, etc. In the end they were still wanting me to keep it so they could figure it out. It was costing us both too much money so put a halt to it and traded it in. It was a money pit for me and them. They said over the years they get a situation like this 1/1000 that they just can't figure out. I'm glad I got rid of it.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,078
    If you do decide to bring your car to the dealership and would like Customer Assistance to help you work with you and your dealership towards a resolution, please email Christina via the email provided on the forum with your name and contact information, VIN, and the name of your involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Sarah
    we just found out that our 2002 Chevy Venture with only 75,000 miles on it has a slipping transmission. Is that normal for those low miles? We had an extended warranty on the vehicle that we purchase when we bought it used in 2004 (was a really great warrant that took us up to Nov of last year - 2010 I think). Any chance of getting some help with that transmission? I've also noticed many times of the past year that the transmission will buck when shifting at about 30 to 40 MPH. I love my van and do not want to give it up at this point (paid off and low miles). Thanks for your help.
    Laurie Grimm
    newport Vermont
  • We would be more than willing to look into this for you, but I cannot make any guarantees up front. Please email us your contact information, VIN, and the name of your involved dealership and we’ll begin our processes here.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I have a 1998 Chevy Venture. It was leaking what I thought was oil for a while, turned out to be leaking transmission fluid from the transmission cooling line. Off and on for about 5 months it would not go from "park" into a gear right away. Now it is doing it most of the time. Yesterday we changed the cooling line and the trans fluid read "full" even though a lot came out when we changed it. I drove it last night and it was fine. Today same issue, taking almost 5 minutes to "jerk" into gear. When I am driving it, it seems fine and shifts fine. It is only when it is sitting for a spell. I am trying the "do it yourself" options before I sink a lot of money into it. Any suggestions on what to try next?
  • It is a selinoid in the transmission. Cost to repair in Huntington, WV at Jerry's transmission was $500.00 two years ago when mine was repaired. Have put another 30K miles on it with no problem.
  • sarah,

I am having same problems love my van but hearing the nightmares I want to make sure before I do anything costly I am a loyal GM customer and want to keep it please help. Let me know how I can get into contact with you .

Thanks

Brian
  • karl44karl44 Posts: 1
    hello i was wondering if you figured out what was wrong with your transmission? mine is taking around 30 seconds befor it moves. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
  • We have a 2003 Chevrolet Venture LT that we've owned since new. The car has 90K miles on it and has never been in any accidents. The car has been well maintained by the dealer including their recommended transmission flush service every 30K miles. The transmission has been working fine with absolutely no whines, harsh shifts, or anythings. All of a sudden last week, while my wife was accelerating up our driveway, the transmission just lost all gears and seemed to be in neutral (It does shift in and out of park ok, and reverse gears seems to work. Only forward gears are gone). No trouble lights or check engine light every comes on with the transmission not working. We had the car towed to the dealer and they say we need the entire transmission replaced at a cost of $3000. Has anyone had this occur where the transmission goes from working OK to suddenly needing to be repaired with no indication of trouble? The dealer is eagar give us $700 toward the purchase of a new vehicle which is indicating something fishy going on here.