Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Venture Transmission Issues

Comments

• 442dude442dude Posts: 373
    P1189 is probably a broken wire or bad connection in the oil pressure circuit. The sensor is located next to the oil filter...you may want to check and clean repair as necessary...not causing your hesitation problem

P1626 is a problem with your theft deterrent system...basically, there is an intermittent problem with the serial communications between the powertrain control module (PCM) and the body control module (BCM) This is also not causing your hesitation problem, its just a stored code that says that at least once, your car had trouble verifying that the correct key was being used to start it. If this was your problem, the van would start, run for 2 sec. and shut down. I wouldn't worry about this one...

P1811 - the long shift code is typically set when your pressure control solenoid is going bad in your transmission. About a $ 600 repair, its internal to the trans and an all to common failure on the Venture (and on the 4T65E trans in general)
    The typical symptoms are harsh shifts at all speeds and a loud whine when the trans gets hot. You don't mention either so I'm guessing its not your problem. It may be as a result of your actual problem.

I don't think any of these 3 are indicative of what's going on. Without driving it I'm still thinking fuel or ignition issue. Change your plugs and wires like you said you were going to do and also change your fuel filter. Be prepared to let out a string of expletives as you try to get to the rear plugs... Also make sure that the terminals on the coils are squeaky clean when you replace the wires and coat them lightly with dielectric grease before you put on the new wires, you'll have to remove them to get to the rear lugs anyway so its a good time to check them out - if you've got a multimeter, check the resistance between the two towers on each (towers meaning where the wires connect to) the resistance should be 5000-7000 ohms - if its above or below, you've got a bad ignition coil...Hopefully you'll get rid of your problem...good luck
  • Thanks for the info. Your post has been the most informative one that I have recieved on a number of forums that I have posted on. Thanks again abd I will re-post after I change the components.
  • You sound like you have dealt with these issues before, or are at least competent. My 2004 just started the thunking shift and the wind up "gear" noise as I drive. I would like to find acompetent shop in Cincinnati for transmission issues. My van has 58k on it and has never towed. I have noticed it is getting worse as it gets warmer. Any ideas?
    Hello...

I am not a mechanic unless there's a shade tree and some beer around :)

That being said, couple of suggestions -

-Chances are, the pressure control solenoid inside your trans is failing causing the bumping shifts and whining noises. Any competent trans shop can make this repair - expect $ 600-900...and yes, it tends to get worse as the weather gets warmer...

- Are you a gambling person? Try this...go to the auto parts store and buy "Lucas Transmission Fix" put 1/2 bottle in and wait 2 weeks...your problem might go away...strangely enough, that's how I got rid of it on mine and it was completely by accident... NOTE: it will get worse for the week or so right after you do it and you will say "I can't believe that I listened to that guy on the internet!!!!" but then it might even go away. That was 2 years ago, haven't had to worry about it since and my mechanic told me I needed a new transmission when it first started happening 3 years ago...Worst case...you wait a couple of weeks, it doesn't go away and you bring it to the trans shop for the solenoid repair...Good luck
  • fleastifffleastiff Posts: 51
    Where does one add the Lucas Transmission Fix?
    Why add only a HALF bottle of it?
    Are there any risks to using this product?
    Where does one add the Lucas Transmission Fix? - Put it in right where you would add trans fluid (at the dipstick)

Why add only a HALF bottle of it? - Because that was what I had left in the bottle when I did it? Actually, it says on the label that you should only use 1/2 a bottle for smaller transmissions. I don't know if the trans in the Venture qualifies as small.

Are there any risks to using this product? - Says on the label that its good as "preventative maintenance" so you can put it in a perfectly OK trans without a problem. You may want to contact Lucas directly for more info...

I'm not promoting their product...I just tried an experiment when I had nothing to lose and by chance it worked...hopefully it will help someone else too...
  • yesterday on my 2003 chevy venture lost overdrive and now also has a whine noise could anyone tell me is this is expensive to fix.
  • duraflexduraflex Posts: 358
    rocco7 - SEE MESSAGE # 3 and listed replies.

My own 2000 Venture started whining last night after a high speed 500 mile run on the PA Turnpike through the mountains and flat old I-70 West to central Ohio. Temps were around 28 degrees F.

It was fine on the trip until I got 5 miles from home and this noise began that sounded like running on under-inflated tires.

I'm going to have it checked but this transmission pressure or "transaxle pressure control solenoid" seems the likely culprit from what I've read here.
    Your diagnosis is likely correct but try this:

1. Get a can of mass air flow sensor cleaner and follow the directions to clean the MAF.

2. Change your air filter.

While the solenoid is likely your problem, occasionally the MAF will get dirty and that combined with an air filter that has a little dirt in it will cause the PCM to get some wacky info from the MAF sensor causing it to shift with a bump and whine. For the
    $ 15.00 it will cost you its certainly worth a try.
    442dude - the shifting is fine with NO bumps or unusual noises.

My whine noise is constant as I roll, even if I put the car in neutral and coast with the engine on - of course.

What is mass air flow sensor cleaner and where would I spray it?

I am not a motor head but I can follow simple instructions.

Thanks.
    The MAF is located between the air filter and the engine intake. Its the square looking thing with a wire connected to it and a short length of hose on either side of it. There's also an arrow on it to tell you which way the air should flow through it so you know which way to put it back in.

The cleaner comes in a aerosol can and is made by CRC (maybe others too?) You can find it at any decent auto parts store. Just be sure to follow the directions on the can to a "T". And don't let the little red hose on the can contact any part of the MAF sensor.

Good Luck,

John :shades:
    Turns out my whining noise and the feeling that I was driving on under-inflated tires or that car would not shift to 4th gear was NOT a transmission problem.

The problem was a BAD FRONT WHEEL BEARING.

My local BP garage mechanic put the computer on it, found no transmission codes or anything else wrong with the engine.

He said I had a bad wheel bearing. He replaced it and now the 2000 Venture drives like new with 70,000 miles on it!

Cost was $400.

My clue that they were on the right track was when I was driving to put the car in Neutral and let it coast and it still dragged. To me that meant it must not be a trans problem.
  • I have a 2000 Venture and I had that problem and throwing diferant types of codes. The mechanic I used to work for had me take the mass airflow sensor off and clean it with throtle body cleaner spray and a Q tip. Make sure all the stuff is off the wires then put it back together. Worked good for me. No running problems or anything for a while. But my tranny is acting wierd it whines shift hard sometimes and now shudders, I have to let is set when I start it cold bfore it will move.
  • A couple of days ago I ran over a backpack blower that fell off someones truck. I immediately lost automatic shifting ability and later all ability to move. I found that my transmission line was snapped and pulled out. I replaced the line and all transmission fluid and oil. I was told by the chevy dealer that I would not need any pressure on the line for the transmission to reengage. After I replaced it it still fails to engage let alone shift into any gears including R. Anyone have advice for a person trying to save a buck.
  • happy new year to all. I would like to ask if anybody has experienced this on their venture and if they have an answer. my 02' venture's 40k miles odometer. starter burned out w/out warning, i replaced it only to find out it could barely crank.double checked everything.electrical all ok. tried to manually turn crankshaft main pulley and starter ring gear with a socket wrench and pry bar. no budge.before i disassemble the tranny. is it possible the torque converter seized? van was running great no tell-tale warnings or anythig out of the normal. thank you
  • rhtransrhtrans Posts: 84
    If the fluid levl is not full then its an internal transmission problem...make very sure the level is correct. Low fluid level can cause all of these complaints.
  • rhtransrhtrans Posts: 84
    No...torque converter not siezed...unbolt the converter bolts will verify it.
  • fleastifffleastiff Posts: 51
    The shift lever moves freely without any resistance but it does not shift the gears. The transmission is presently in reverse and I can not shift the gears at all.
    Someone told me its a linkage problem but I have no idea what that means.
  • cach22cach22 Posts: 12
    I have read all the posts in this forum and it sounds like the problem with my Venture is the pressure control solenoid in the transmission. I will try cleaning the MAF first to see if that helps at all. My 2000 Venture is shifting roughly. I have had the transmission flushed and added some cleaner (Sea Foam) brand. It seemed to do the trick for a while. But the improvement only lasted a week or so. Now the jerky shifting is back and it appears to be gradually getting worse. I just have a couple of questions. I have not noticed a whine (other than the power steering whine) that many have mentioned here. Will the pressure control solenoid be bad without making the whining noise? My second question is... Is it hard to get to the pressure control solenoid? I guess I am hoping that I can drop the pan and get to it that way rather than take it to a transmission repair shop for $900 worth of repairs.
  • 1999 Venture LT bought new for wife, began shifting rough after 15,000 miles, dealer replaced trans, OK for a while ... after 30,000 miles began shifting rough again, dealer replaced trans again, OK for a while ... after 50,000 began shifting rough again, dealers says sorry ... still shifts rough more often now ... until I shut off for 10 seconds or more then will shift perfectly and after a while begins to shift rough again until I shut down for 10 seconds ,... been doing this for years .. now has 140,000 .... whining occurs when shifting rough ... appears shutting down resets something electrical ... not a mechanic but trying to get an answer for my mechanic to hopefully find a simple fix ...