Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Venture Transmission Issues

13»

Comments

• grimmfamgrimmfam Posts: 2
    Don't do anything until you contact GM. I'm having trouble with my 2002 with 80,000 miles and am trying to work with them to have it repaired. The more they know these vans and the transmissions issue the more likely it is we will all benefit.
  • Did you find out anything from GM? I have a 02 venture with transmission problems.
  • jrdwyerjrdwyer Posts: 168
    edited August 2012
    Although possible, a failing transmission will often give warning signs. Ours started downshifting hard and making clunk sounds when doing so. When that happened, I pulled the dipstick and noticed black fluid and the burnt smell. It then went to the dealer and was diagnosed as transmission failure. Specifically, the GM dealer service receipt said: "REMOVE AND TEAR DOWN TRANS PLANTERY GEARS AND SHEEL IS BUSTED REBUILD TRANS."
    Parts replaced were carriers, dam, bearing assembly, bearing, gear, transmission kit, torque converter (remanufactured part used), gear rear, cleaner, and ATF fluid.

Ours is the Olds Silo version with the same tranny and was purchased new in Sept. '01. Tranny failure occurred Sept. '03 at app. 26,286 miles. All repairs were covered under warranty. So far so good at 11 years and 130K miles on odometer. I changed the tranny fluid and filter myself at app. 75K miles.

I hope GM/dealer will lower the price below $1K to get your tranny rebuilt or replaced, especially considering that you had all service done at GM dealers. There is no reason for a properly built, maintained, and normally used automatic transmission to fail before 200K miles of use.
  • Hello,

That sounds a bit fishy to me. I say that because I have a 2003 Chevrolet Venture and it has over 200,000 miles on it and the transmission has never stopped working. I have been having problems with the shifting and it needs a TCC Solenoid, other than that it's still going. I know I will need one after awhile. If you have been maintaining transmission flushes and you only have 90,000 miles on it, I don't see how all of a sudden you need a new transmission and a offer to buy a new vehicle. Doesn't sound right at all!
  • My 2000 Chevy venture has 120K miles. Until recently is was fine as far as the trans goes. Now it works for about 200 yards, the trans whines, and I'm without thrust. Before I go down the money hole, what happened to my trans?
  • akinpaakinpa Posts: 2

I'm getting a low toned winding down noise when slowing to a stop. Occasionally I will get a bump before the van gets moving from a stop. Haven't noticed a pattern to it's exhibiting these signs. It has107K miles and 24K from the last transmission service (fluids). Thanks!

• akinpaakinpa Posts: 2

Another ques. My owners manual is MIA, from something I read elsewhere, can't find it, there is a special procedure to checking the transmission fluid. Can someone tell me what it is?

• I have a 2000 Venture, and only recently started experiencing this same slipping transmission and noisy clunking gear shifts, with a high whine for the engine. I noted that this seemed to occur mostly after having to accelerate out of a turn (Hwy on ramp, accelerate into traffic from corner turn, etc.) or if needing to apply some power when climbing an incline (usually when on 20%+ Hwy grade). Stopping the car for a few minutes and turning ignition off seemed to reset the issue until it started to recur.
    + Again, since this only just started to occur, I was reminded that we had some cooler mornings of late, and I needed to use the defrost setting for the fan. This means that the compressor is being activated. So lately I've been trying to see if the problem recurs when I intentionally don't engage the compressor (front window defrost) or air conditioner. So far, so good. At least that may resolve symptoms for why it occurs, but not yet how to fix it.
13»