Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon Brakes, ABS, VSC, etc.

Comments

• dbowedbowe Posts: 6
    Am sure that adding new brake fluid, transmission fluid, or coolant results in degradation of metal parts. (Ions in the fluid cause breakdown of the metal until equilibrium is established.) Therefore, you should either change the fluids regularly (40k miles) or not at all. Not changing them at all is probably better for your parts in the long run. Flushing will therefore re-excite the bits of metal gunk that are settled out. Alternatively, it will create more metal gunk that will stop up things. If your car is 10 years old and hasn't had the fluids changed, you run a big risk with your head gaskets by suddenly having your oil change guy "flush the system" for you. 2001 car, probably okay to change the fluids if you want to.
  • Stong shanking on 98' Toyota Avalon XLSHi,

I’ve had my 98’ Avalon for almost 2 years and didn’t drive it much or had any major issues. It currently has 99,000 k on it.
    Recently when I drive for at least for half an hour on a highway, the car engine starts to shake vigorously and I fill the car going back and forth while on the highway speed(almost like power is loosing and coming back). When I’m stopping at the light or at a stop while this is happening, while I am breaking, the engine’s power is sounding (like I am pressing on the gas and breaking at the same time and releasesing, which I am not)
    When I drive in the city it does not happen. But when I’m on the highway something must trigger the engine to act this way.
    After I turn off the engine and wait, then start the car back on; the problem disappears until I go back on the highway.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue?

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,367
    I can think of a number of possible suspects, but the first that comes to mind is the fuel delivery system - fuel pump would be my first place to start.
  • smata67smata67 Posts: 2
    I am hearing the squeal and its time. What are the best brake pads to put on this car? My dealer is asking for $269 for the front, so I am thinking of doing the job myself or going to an independent. I have had the front pad "clicking" noise due to pad shift, and I believe there is a dealer kit to stop this from happening (TSB BR004-00). Any comments on what brakes to go with and the clicking issue to make sure I don't get it again after this brake job?
  • lee17lee17 Posts: 1
    It doesn't really matter what brake pads you should go for up to your desrcetion. With the clicking noise it could also be caused with your rotor. It may be uneven or something. If you are unsure get a repair manual to make sure you have all the information to fix that problem. Check your brake calipers. It may be uneven to have the brake pad shift. Check them out and hopefully this does the trick. You might save a hundred or so doing it by yourself than at the dealer.
  • gbinplanogbinplano Posts: 65
    I had a similar problem with a 1994 XLE Camry. After cleaning the injectors and replacing plugs, I had the fuel filter replaced. That fixed the problem. During warm-up, the engine is fed a richer mixture. Once warm, the mixture leans. If fuel delivery is blocked, due in my case to a clogged fuel filter, it starves and displays the symptoms you describe.

Greg
  • fun2drivefun2drive Posts: 2
    The mechanic is mostly right. If the brake pads are not bedded in correctly they will glaze the rotors and that will squeal with light application. However other things that cause brakes to squeal are pads being too square where they form a 90 degree angle to the rotor and chatter. Taking the edge off the pads so that there is not such a sharp angle also helps. The other is not using a good brake pad dampener. The usual stuff is a high temp silicon that looks red. Apply the silicon to the back side ot the pads while the silicon is still uncured and that will help dampen the vibration.
    Some pads do squeal but there solutions I mentioned above that work.
    I hope this is of some help. I am going to be changing the Avalon front rotors and brakes with factory pads and rotors which are more expensive but work well.
  • I have a 1996 Avalon with 147000 miles. I bought the car new and it has been the best car I have ever owned. Recently on a road trip I experienced a noise that sounded to my wife and I like a flat tire. We excited the interstate to check it out and found nothing visably wrong and decided to hit the road again. Smooth as silk for another 200 or so miles then it happens again. Same story, check around a little, back on the road again and she runs like a top. The only clue I can give you is that as we pull off the road to check this noise out, the first time you apply the brakes, they feel soft and make the same sound that we hear as while traveling down the highway. The second time you apply the brakes they feel perfect and the noise is gone. This always happens at highway speed, never around town. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • sanandtonsanandton Posts: 342
    Had this same type of noise when I accidently left the parking brake engaged recently. I thought I had a flat tire, and it would only occur when I got up to a certain speed. It took me two pull over and car walk arounds to remember I had left the brake on. (Yes I was blissfully unaware of the warning light, which was working :surprise: ) By chance have you had any recent tire, or brake work on the car? I guess the brakes didn't have enough strength to actually heat up as normally they would be smoking when I pulled over.
  • jherrerajherrera Posts: 1
    Rear struts were replaced and was told by mechanic that ABS sensor needs to be replaced. Light went on "after" struts were replaced.
    Need help to test/replace the rear left ABS sensor of my 1998 toyota Avalon.
    How to test it? Are the wires for the sensor near the back seat?
    Does the wires go all the way to the front by the motor?
    I think that there is probably a loose connection to the sensor since problem started after struts were replaced. :confuse:
  • fragmirefragmire Posts: 97
    I bought a Toyota certified used 2001 Avalon XLS in January this year. Since then, I've had to have the front-left caliper dig out of rust, the rear rotors and kits replaced due to the complete wear-out of brake pads caused by the brake kits getting stuck in rust, and as of today, I'm experiencing problem with one of the front brakes again. :mad:

Visually, the calipers and the rotors (not the contact surface) have a lot of rust, but appraently the car was in upstate NY before it came to me, so this can be explained by the preivous owner being too lazy to do under-carriage wash frequently. :sick:

I've argued with the dealer who did the certification several times, but they claim that this is not their responsibility since this kind of problem can never be "predicted," thus they had no reason to replace the brake system during certification.

Now, my question is, is this kind of problem normal? Should the dealer who did the certification be held responsible? How can I deal with this problem? I've already contacted several lemon law lawyers, but they say that there isn't much I can do based on the lemon law, and the only option I have is to write an angry letter to Toyota and hope for the best.
  • mikes.mikes. Posts: 335
    What kind of warranty did you bget with this car. Does the Certified part of the deal spell out what they inspected and certified? Are the brakes included or specifically excluded?

I'd have to agree with the lawyers, this isn't a lemon law case but it could be argued under other articles. Especially if the Certified covered the brake systems. Pads wouldn't be covered more then likely since they are a normal wear item. Rotors and calipers might be covered under a Certified plan.

Sorry to hear of your problems.

MikeS.
  • fragmirefragmire Posts: 97
    The warranty only covers the powertrain, so brakes are not covered. The certification process does include inspection of the brake, but as I said, the dealer repeatedly claimed that when they did the inspection, the brake was still working, and that they could not predict the failure of the brakes (even though the amount of rust on there is more than excessive and warranted a complete replacement). Any other suggestion?
  • triton88triton88 Posts: 4
    Hello.

I own a 99 Avalon XL with 66k. I was driving the vehicle the other day and noticed two things. First, there was a burning metal smell coming from the drivers side
    tire or wheel well. I've also noticed that there is a clicking noise on tight turns
    say in a parking lot. It's most noticable with the windows down.

Any help on as to what it could be?

Thanks in advance. :surprise:
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    I'd have a shop check two things. First is the front brake pads, rotor, and caliper. If they're frozen, they may be burning up the brakes, causing the smell. The second thing to check is the CV boot and joint. Often a clicking noise when turning is a first sign of a bad CV joint.

Please tell us what you find out.

Toyota Ken
  • jkbjkb Posts: 2
    I recently had the 60,000 mile service where the plugs were changed, fluids were serviced and so forth. Toyota dealer recommended replacing timing belt and replacing valve cover gaskets (he said they were leaking). I didn't let the dealer do either one because I have never seen any oil on the garage floor nor have I ever had to add oil to the car. Anyway, I took the car on a trip to Galveston and the car started acting funny after about an hour or steady highway driving at 70+ mph. Started out as the same noise I would hear if I had accidently left the parking/emergency brake on (but I hadn't this time). Noise got more and more noticeable until I decided to slow down. Slowing down did not make it go away. I then decided to pull off of the highway and stop. As I tried to stop, the car resisted and the steering wheel began to pull to one side which I resisted. As the car slowed down below 40 mph, normal steering control returned. Stopped car and examined under the hood and looked at the wheels, but couldn't find anything wrong. Drove around the city streets for 10 or so minutes and then got back on the highway. Problem didn't reoccur even at 80+ mph. Stopped and had lunch (about an hour). Got back on the highway. Drove for an hour or so, problem repeated. Again, pulled off and stopped. Got back on the highway, no reoccurance of the problem. When I got to Galveston, took it to a Toyota dealer. He believed the problem stemmed from the rotors needing turning. Car had never had a brake job (I am the original owner of the car (car was a demo unit)). So, I let the dealer turn all the rotors, cost $288. Car did drive and stop smoother. Anyway, I thought the problem was fixed. On the return trip home, driving on the highway at 70+ mph for about an hour, problem reoccurs. Get off of highway, cruise around, get back on the highway, no reoccurance. Question is what can be causing this? There was no problem with the car before I let the Toyota dealership do the service. Now, my wife is afraid to go over 60 mph and basically doesn't want to drive the car except to run errands nearby. Anyone got any suggestions on where to look or what to do? (When I said the car resisted, I mean the car acted as if the cruise control was on, but it wasn't).
  • abfischabfisch Posts: 591
    Have them check the front brakes thoroughly.

abfisch
  • leased an '02 avalon xls new in '02. purchased off lease 3 months ago. had brakes done at 25,500 miles and they have never been the same. dealer said rotors did not have to be changed and turned them down. after brake job was done various noises coming from brakes. returned to the dealer several times. delaer could not identify problem. went back again and dealer heard noise (tic, tic, tic) coming from left side of car. he said it was the tires and rotated the tires. noise went away for several hours and is now back again. also, when applying the brakes (not at all times) a clicking sound has now started. the ride is also starting to get bouncy as i think the struts are wearing. this car is not driven hard and has only 29,500 miles. any help would be appreciated.
  • abfischabfisch Posts: 591
    Lenny:

Many Avalon owners have similar problems. My opinions are based on real life circumstances you can find in various posts.

1. Change struts to a premium brand, either TokicoHP or KYB. You will notice a very demonstrable improvement in handling, emergency handling, stability and braking. A 4 wheel alignment is needed at that time. Do not bring it to a Toyota dealership unless they can use aftermarket premium parts, which the OE are not.

2. Brakes. Never turn rotors.They are never as effective as dissipating heat. Again, the OE rotors are most likely made not in Japan(you get the message). Go buy premium rotors, and new pads, have them lube the appropriate bolts that the caliper slides on, and probably change/bleed the brake fluid(every 3 years regardless of mileage).

You should see a vast improvement as well. Slotted or drilled rotors, will even give you more bite, but at the expense of money, a low moan when the pedal is applied and increase pad wear.

Good luck. If you cannot perform the brakes, look for a shop that does this all the time.

abfisch
  • qman1qman1 Posts: 1
    I am having problems with growling when braking fairly hard not like an emergency stop I understand the ABS will effect the braking . the brake pads have 75% or better and my parking brake won't hold the vehicle at all. Where is the adjustment I can't seem to locate that either. any Help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance