Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt Steering Problems

Comments

• my 07 cobolt clunked on right turn. dealer replaced intermediate shaft in steering, noise gone. No other problems yet.
  • my 07 cobolt clunked on right turn. Dlr. in bak. ca. replaced intermediate shaft in steering. Noise gone. no other problem with car. good luck.
  • I baught my brand new 2009 Cobalt 5 days ago. But I found the power steering gone when I tried to park. It happened several times. My God, only 5 days brand new car. Can I ask refund?

I will never buy GM car.
  • okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    maybe the devil did it. i wonder what will happen on day 6? is tihs your first post on your first day at carspace? :shades:
  • Good Luck,

I've lost track of the # of steering columns my car has had and various other steering or front end components. I have an 05 with 35K on it - I have had 56 warranty items fixed to date and there are still a number of items to be fixed. The steering has not been resolved yet & it is sitting at the dealership while I work with GM on what we do next.
  • laserbluelaserblue Posts: 313
    If you find a cracked egg in a dozen or a rotten apple in a basket are you going to throw everyone of them in the garbage?

You had 1 bad experience with a GM car and you're ready to send every GM cars at the scap yard?

I've been driving and buying GM products since 1974, changing my car every 5 years and only had minor problems (that's normal). I just bought my 9th GM truck and my next will probably be a GM (chevrolet) again.

Hey! by the way.... why make a big fuss out of it ? After 5 days, it must still be on warranty?
  • yes, I don't what I should do now
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    Have fun over at the Toyota forum if that's where you go. Toyota's are some of the biggest pieces of junk out there right now according to recall stats.
    The dealer may exchange it for another being that its within a week.
    Most dealers probably would on a week old car.
  • ended up with a 09 cobalt lt isb2 sedan. no real complaints with the car. 25,000km, drove it from b.c. to toronto. no problems. the car is designed for maximum velocity? went 11,000 with 39% left on the oil guage. still clean and didn't use any. windshield wiper resevour holds nearly 2 5l containers. motor, 2.2L VVT 155hp is very strong at certain rpms, a bit wheezy at slow speeds, but very acceptable, much better than old z24 cavaliers. overall a good car. only complaint, at 6 foot 4, i cant get comfortable.

great car for the price. 22,000 taxes included.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Posts: 295
    The steering column had a rattle when driving on gravel roads. The dealer replaced the steering column and the noise has disappeared. I have 2700 miles on an LT1 coupe I bought in September. No other problems and I've used the car for one 400 mile each way trip as well as around town. The dealer said that the 05 and 06 models had a few small problems but nothing big. .I drove an 06 Impala for two years and that was trouble free as well. I don't have any problem with GM cars. My 03 Deville has been trouble free since I bought it and it has 71,000 miles on it.
  • franco8franco8 Posts: 3
    I feel for George. People buy a new car so they do not have to bring it in for repairs except very few exceptions. I brought my Impala 2003 in at least 15 times for repairs on the steering system until I got rid from desperation and now it's happening the same with my Malibu 2005 with only 14,000 miles!. After 4 repairs the problem is still there, and worse. In the past I dumped cars that started with problems and I am glad I did because on one trade in I got me a Maxima that went about 200,000 miles with only 2 minor problems. I know every car have some problems but why not start after 50,00 miles?The questio here is: Why are we putting up with GM cars that seem to all have problems? EG: Steering problems on Impala, Malibu and some Pontiac models. My suggestion is this, if after repairing the problem it happens again, trade the car and search which cars have less problems.
    Franco M
  • Hi it is the rack and pinion steering box. The gears in the box have become loose and are floating loosely. The shaking occurs due to the sudden pressure changes in the hydraulic system. before you believe I am an auto genius I know this because repair one was a partial shaft repair, repair two was a full steering column replacement, repair three is a repl;acement of the rack and pinion box. Of course out of warranty i am fighting with GM over the cost as it went in three times under warranty and now they see what the problem is once out of warranty.
  • This is the second steering column in 6800 miles on an 09 Cobalt. I would think -since the dealer is stocking steering columns because of the problem - that GM would figure out a manufacturing fix for this. Does anyone who works in a Cobalt plant know what exactly is wrong?
  • I got into my cobalt the other day after driving to work without any issues and went about 2 to 3 miles and heard the "dink dink" that is usually made upon the low fuel light coming on and noticed that the display said "Power Steering" and then my car proceeded to lose ability to steer with power. Luckly I only had to make a few turns with straight driving most of the way. It was like the car had absolutly no power steering at all. The next day I started the car and it was normal no power steering display and the steering was working normally, I thanked God, but after driving a few minutes inside my neighborhood, the "ding" sounded and the display displayed "power steering" and my steering was shot again. Just wondering if this has been an issue with anyone else. My husband is a mechanic and has done almost everything within his ability to fix this and now I'm on my way to the dealer. Any advice? (I'm writing this under my husbands thread)
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    I think GM would be hard pressed to deny steering problems now given that they are suing their supplier over poor quality steering components. See link.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20091123/BIZ/91123017/GM-sues-supplier-over- -Cobalt-steering
  • I filed a complaint with NHTSA(National Highway Traffic Safety Agm and they responded and informed me that they were opening an investigation of EPS failure, over 1,000 people already file complaints the number is 888-327-4368, if anyone would like to see a copy of the investigation report my email is pct0314@yahoo.com I have a 05 Chevy Cobalt I only have 56,000 miles and my powersteering is gone please fail a compaint so we can get gm to recall
  • dusdus Posts: 1
    Thanks for the tip, paula18. The power steering on my 2007 Cobalt with 51,000 miles just shut off last evening. Shutting off the car and restarting it cleared the problem, but it did it again tonight. I just filed a report with NHTSA via internet, no response yet.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,898
    Did NHTSA urge GM to do the Cobalt steering recall announced today - or did they do it out of their own good sense especially after seeing the safety issues with that other manufacturer in the news so much lately?