Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt Electrical Problems

Comments

• Isn't there a key hole in the trunk? His ignition key will open the trunk as well.
  • First of all the headlights are on a delay, I'm sure you knew that. Secondly, these cars come with more than one key. There is a key hole on the trunk lid, go get the other key & unlock it.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,742
    To turn off headlights, rotate the end of the headlight lever. It turns them off.

HOWEVER: You've got a problem but there's an easy answer--There is a jump location for jumper cables under the hood. Or you can use a jumper power box instead of another battery.

Apply the positive jumper cable to the correct location which looks like a battery terminal sticking up with a plastic cover (red) over it; it's next to the fuse box under the hood. Apply the ground cable to the marked ground location which is a bolt for the left front strut.

Then the systems should power up and the key, I hope, will come out of the ignition. AND the remote unlock for the trunk on the key fob or the left side of the instrument panel will open your trunk.

OR the dealer has your key codes where the car was bought. So a GM dealer can make a new key for you ($60? the transponder keys are expensive).

This message has been approved.

• The key gets stuck in my ingnition too, from time to time. A mechanic at a dealership taught me a quick tip for getting it out. Remove your cupholder and feel inside up by the gearshift, there is a switch. You have to press the switch with one hand and turn your key with the other at the same time. The switch releases the key and allows it to turn and come out. It's a pain but better than the option of your battery dying. Mine always fixes itself although sometimes it takes days. Hope this helps some others like it did me, although it doesn't exactly fix the problem it helps.
  • I bought a 2006 chevy cobalt 20,000 miles, last year and have had nothing but problems with it. It first started with, just a week after I had it, both of my head lights blowing at the same time. That is really no big deal. It happens. But then, I started having the problems with the key getting stuck. My friend at the dealership cleaned the shifter and put something in the switch and I haven't had anymore problems with that. But, then the power steering light came on and I had to replace the steering column. The lights flicker and my gages will drop randomly. Never had that fixed. The brakes wore all the way down without making a sound. On top of that the car started stalling and I completely lost reverse. (transmission). I haven't taken it to the shop yet. Not quite sure if I still want the car. It has been nothing but trouble and I've only had it for a year... :lemon:
    Did you buy an extended warranty from GM for it? You would have been within the 3 yr., 36000 miles.

• Where is the switch located? I took the cup holder out but I can't find the switch. Is it towards the firewall or towards the back?
  • they offered it to me but i turned it because it wouldn't cover me very long. Only for 16000. Thats really nothing for what they are trying to charge for it. And the major problem(being the transmission) was a 90,000. So that def. would not have helped me.
  • amandabamandab Posts: 7
    edited March 2010
    I have a 05 Colbalt and having a problem with the low traction system light staying on. While this light is on the car stays in low power mode. It will finally go off when Im going about 30 mph.
    I've had the car in the shop and its cost me about 1500 so far and they still cant figure it out.

Anyone with any suggestions?? PLEAsE HELP!!
  • Try a different mechanic. If you're using a non-dealer shop and they can't figure it out, try the dealership.

It could be anything from a sensor to a computer issue. Low traction is only supposed to go on if the drive wheels are spinning.
  • gteachmangteachman Posts: 4
    Hello,
    My 2008 Cobalt (basic) with 40K miles just started this electrical problem. The digital displays like the info center and the radio will intermittantly blank out when driving. Sometimes the displays will light up after a while. So far, they always return when I turn off the ignition, wait a few seconds, then restart the vehicle.

While the car is under warranty, I hate to take it to the dealer and try to explain an intermittant problem. I would much rather be able to tell the service manager what the problem is.

Any ideas on what can be causing this?

Thanks,

George Teachman
  • biglouie34biglouie34 Posts: 1
    I am also having the same issue as George. Does anybody have any knowledge as to why it is doing this. I have about 13k more miles.
  • steveeb3steveeb3 Posts: 1
    while charging my phone , it stopped shortly after plugging it into my cig lighter. never had a problem before. replaced the fuse, started to charge the phone , light comes on the phone then goes out. don't know why ?
  • I also have a 2005 Chevy Cobalt LS, and yes it just stalls!!! It just shuts down! The AC, radio, and everything is still on and working, but the car itself is dead! I don't even know what to do, cause I don't want to front all this money on a car that seems to have a lot of issues. First the power steering (thank goodness that was under warranty) and now its just stalling. Its scary and nerve recking. Something really needs to be done about this problem. Please contact me if you figured out your problem, thanks!
    jacki.wacki902@gmail.com
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,005
    Hello Jackiwacki,
    I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with your vehicle. Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into it further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    Hello Steveeb3,
    Have you checked to see if your charger is bad? It is possible something could be loose and moving around causing it to work then move and not work. Does the cigarette lighter work ok? Thank you,
    First thing to check is inside the cigarette or alternate plug in. Is there something in there that is shorting out the center contact to the outside wall which is the ground? A friend's car had blown the fuse. It had a dime down in the lighter/alternate opening. I removed it with chewing gum or something sticky on a screwdriver.

If that proves negative, then try another charger device in the same lighter/power supply and see if it blows again. It would be unlikely to have two chargers both defective.

• ashleychrist08ashleychrist08 Posts: 3
    edited June 2010
    So yesterday my radio decided to stop working. All of a sudden, the radio started flashing audio muted. I do not have a mute button so i'm not sure what happened. also when i drive the car, it will flash on and off even though i have the power for the radio off. Also the sound for the blinker and the key sound doesn't work either. You should also know that I have had 4 radios replaced already and many more things have had to be replaced multiple times. So I took my car in to the dealership that I usually go to and they wouldn't fix it unless I paid. If they have had to replace the radio 4 times already, they must not be doing something right and should replace it for free. Nope chevy said I would have to pay for everything. They also said it was from giving someone a jump. How can that be possible? I have giving car's jumps before and nothing like this has ever happened. So much for great customer service chevy. Not sure what to do at this point. All I know is that I'm not about to shell out over $2000 for a problem chevy couldn't fix in the first place. So if you do not have the warranty on your car anymore, be prepared to pay a are and a leg for chevy's mess ups :mad: 07 cobalt ls coupe 45,000 miles
    >They also said it was from giving someone a jump. How can that be possible? I have giving car's jumps before and nothing like this has ever happened.

When was the last time you used your car to jump another car's battery?

Hello Ashleychrist08,
    I apologize that you are experiencing a problem with your vehicle. Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into it further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,