Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cobalt Electrical Problems

Comments

• deepcscottdeepcscott Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    I have a 2009 Cobalt. All of the power plugs are out. When I pulled the fuse panel on the passenger side of the vehicle I looked for the fuse to these plugs. There is no diagram or markings to show which fuse goes to the AUX power plugs. There are three inside this car. I pulled the entire cowling from between the two seats and traced the wires into a wire bundle. I have checked all of the plugs to make sure they are not broken and there are no dimes, pennies, etc stuck in them. Where do I look for the fuses? I know there are fuses for this but Chevy didn't spell it out for the customer on how to troubleshoot the AUX power connections.. I am at a loss, any ideas?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    edited September 2011
    The fuse for the Auxiliary power outlet and the cigarette lighter are under the hood. If I read my circuit diagram right, it's Row D, #5. The relays and fuses are under the cover with the RED battery connection sticking up out of it.

It's a 20 amp fuse. Push in on the two clips on each side of the cover and lift. Mine has a coolant tube on one end and the rubber seal for the hood on the other making it hard to pull it up, but wiggle and it comes. The fuse on my 2008 is on the left side facing the car and about the middle.

Inside the cover, the listing of which fuse and relay does what is embossed. Use reflected light to read.

Check for pennies and dimes down in the lighter and outlets. they go in easily and short things out.

I'm looking at a 2008 FSM. You talk about plural auxiliary plugs. Mine has only one.

The info may be in the glovebox owner manual, but likely isn't obvious what they mean.

I hope this helps!

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• elf2567elf2567 Member Posts: 1
    I am having a lot of issues with this chevy cobalt. They are not new issues but when I take it to the dealership everyone there seems to have no idea what I am talking about????? Since I have owned the car I have had a problem with the locks as I am driving along constantly locking and unlocking, the lights on the dashboard work when they feel like it, the air conditioning constantly leaks (now it stopped working altogether), the steering wheel is very hard to turn( the recall to have it fixed only made the steering worse), and now my Biggest Concern is every time it rains or gets hot outside the engine powers down and the car starts shaking violently. I made several trips to various dealerships and paid to have things on the car fixed like the air conditioning for example and its still not right. Last year when I went to see why the engine kept powering down ( $129.00 just to look at it) I was told after six or seven hours they could not find anything and sent me on my way. This is absolutely crazy. These are serious concerns of mine. This is my second GM vehicle and I don't understand why Gm can't stand behind the product that they put on the streets for consumers. I have had most of these problems for SIX years and I have only owned the car for six years which would mean that this car was probably a lemon from the start. As a consumer I don't deserve to have gone through the issues I have with this car and I am shocked every time I see an advertisement for a COBALT because I was duped into believing that after my good experience with the chevy metro that this too would be a great purchase. Needless to say, I want my next experience with a car to be a lot less frustrating so GM will probably be at the bottom of my list. And as far as all of these invisible problems that your mechanics can't seem to see or don't want to see because they may all end up factory defects, I think it is really sad that you would be willing to sell a bad product to a consumer and not even care how it affects the people that are sitting on the the side of the road and can't get home to their families (I have seen a lot of cobalts on the side of the road). I would just like to know what happened to the integrity of this company, a company known for presenting a good product, a product people could believe in. I would liked to have been able to drive my car at night, in the rain or even when it's hot outside without worrying about if i'm going to make it home or not safely. And I won' even speak on how rude and unattentive the people you have working in these dealerships can be it's really unbelievable. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way!!!!! But I guess since I am just one of the many people that spend their hard earned money making payments on cars that should have never been sold in the condition that they were that these issues will remain and not be made priority by GENERAL MOTORS!!
  • gm_sucks1gm_sucks1 Member Posts: 6
    After all my issues that I had it was a simple fix, Dialectic (probably spelled wrong) grease on all of the connectors between the computers to help the connections. worth a shot.. shouldn't cost much, they did mine for free. I know it doesn't seem like much but It worked on all my issues I had thus far...... Knock on wood. If it still keeps happening contact Kimball and Silverman They got me $2700 out of GM for my issues... and my car didn't qualify as a lemon.. www.lemonlaw.com There is another law out there that this stuff falls under (a federal one)
    Hey I had to have my PCM replaced 2 times and ECM as well and the steering column bc of all my electrical issues, radio, power steering, all my gauges on the dash my transmission etc. and it didn't work. Before you do that try this. Last time I took it in I-- knock on wood-- finally got it fixed... have them put dialectic grease on ALL the connectors between the computers.. if they forget just 1 it will have the same issues -- they did this once with mine before but forgot a connector. its worth a shot and cheaper than a PCM or ECM. (PCM: Power-train Control Module and ECM: engine control module; are the 2 major computers to your car. With the cobalt though the power steering is electric so it has things run through there as well and was the reason for the recall that is why I had all 3 replaced... )
    This was the only one that was pulling for me too!!! see my other reply to you.
    So far haven't had the issue again...... I had to have my PCM replaced 2 times and ECM as well and the steering column bc of all my electrical issues, radio, power steering, all my gauges on the dash my transmission etc. and it didn't work. Before you do that try this. Last time I took it in I-- knock on wood-- finally got it fixed... have them put dialectic grease on ALL the connectors between the computers.. if they forget just 1 it will have the same issues -- they did this once with mine before but forgot a connector. its worth a shot and cheaper than a PCM or ECM. (PCM: Power-train Control Module and ECM: engine control module; are the 2 major computers to your car. With the cobalt though the power steering is electric so it has things run through there as well and was the reason for the recall that is why I had all 3 replaced... )
  • lsxygrl2000lsxygrl2000 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Cobalt n I HATE THE CAR WITH A PASSION!! I had the original ignition replaced on 11/27/09 and currently my car is back in the shop with the same damn issue!! GM is refusing to do anything about it but offer me a rebate!! IF I COULD TRADE THE CAR IN WOULDN'T THEY THINK IT WOULD HAVE BEEN TRADED IN ALREADY!! I will never by another Chevy!!!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    lsxygrl2000,
    I apologize for your frustrations. What is your case number with GM and VIN? Please feel free to email me directly. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • 307cedarglen307cedarglen Member Posts: 1
    We have a second Cobalt in for the same repair: Daytime lights don't come on, and on both cars the problem is a melted or burnt wiring harness. Dealer managed to patch the first one, but the second requires a harness replacement. Very expensive, and can only be ordered from the US.
    Have others experienced this? It seems maybe a systemic problem, with 2 cars down within a week.
  • dwaters217dwaters217 Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I have a 2005 Chevy Cobalt. Out of know where the engine just stops and the car goes dead. It happens several times a day. I am scared to drive my car. I don't know what to do. When I bring it into the shop they can't find anything wrong. I am worried that one of these days the car is going to stop in an intersection or on the highway and something horrible will happen. It seems like there are so many of us with this problem. I just don't understand how the car hasn't been recalled. Has anyone found a way to fix it? Has anyone contacted Chevy?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    dwaters217,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Has your dealer spoke with Technical Assistance? If not, I would recommend asking them to. Have they tried installing a recorder in the vehicle? Maybe even having a technician drive it for a day and not just a test drive this way it is more likely to happen while they have it if it happens a couple times a day. I hope this helps. Please feel free to email me directly.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • allig8rr32allig8rr32 Member Posts: 1
    I am afraid to even take my car to the dealer to have to looked at because in all honesty, it is probably going to cost me more than it is worth [and more than what i still owe on the damn thing!]

First off, every time I hit a damn pot hole, the damn thing shuts off on me and then I can't even steer myself off to the side of the road to re-start my car! [and who the hell's idea was it to make the power steering column all electrical anyways?! MORON!]

Secondly, I am PRETTY sure my power steering is shot again. I was driving again the other other day and it randomly went out. So I had to use both arms to attempt to steer my car off the road to turn my car off and restart it.

Also, when I am driving and I apply ANY pressure to my brakes; whether it is pumping them to just slow down a bit or coming to a complete stop.. my car makes a pretty intense violent rattling noise. Let me just tell you, it is pretty AWESOME to say the least. Sometimes, my steering wheel vibrates along with the rattling as well. ps - it is not my brakes or alignment, had that all checked. my mechanic has NO idea wtf it is!!

Like I read previously, I am also having the issue where my high beams just come on whenever they damn well please, my driver side headlight also doubles as a fish bowl when it rains, my CD player likes to tell me there isn't a CD in my CD player.. so I have to stick another CD in there to retrieve the current CD that is in there (it also takes FOREVER to remember where it last left off playing the CD when I turn my car back on), and when I am driving my car informs me that my e-brake it on when in fact it ISN'T!

I really wish somebody would just abolish these cars - they are a NIGHTMARE!! sigh.
  • harryr3harryr3 Member Posts: 2
    My 05 shut off 3 times today going down the road. Managed to coax it in to a Chevy dealer. They said I needed a PCM to the tune of $400. Now after reading some of the posts I'm not sure that's going to fix a DANGEROUS problem. Will let you know.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    harryr3,
    I’m sorry to hear about the concerns you’re experiencing with your Cobalt, but am looking forward to an update on how things went after your visit to the dealership. If we can be of any service to you (following up with the dealership, looking into warranty/recall information on your vehicle), please don’t hesitate to email us with your name/user name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and your preferred dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • dumdonndumdonn Member Posts: 6
    bought a new09 cobalt. tried to trade in 2011. told it had been wrecked and repainted. impossible it is new with 20,000 and full warranty remaining. Turns out it was wrecked and repainted at factory but district after sales mgr. in los angles, paul wasko, who falsely calaims it has not been repainted, said gm, by law, does not have to inform buyer BUT, "by law" dealers, if damaged on their lot, or transport carriers, if damaged during transportatin must do so. I appealed by fedex to CEO Aderson, Pres. Reuss, and VP of customer service Copses. They refuse to cooperate as well even admitting they know I am going online with the information. Customers have to sue so GM so that their insurance co. can pay claims and lawyers. Please pass on this info. NEVER BY GM. I was a customer for 45 yearrs and when need GM the customer service just stonewalls phone calls and fedexes. local dealer is your only hope. after that sue. just look online at lawsuits ag. GM, chev. etc.
  • harryr3harryr3 Member Posts: 2
    Well, it's been a week now since my Power Control Module was replaced and the car hasn't shut off leaving me in a dangerous positio yet, so maybe the PCM was the problem.

Here's hoping!
  • psimissu2009psimissu2009 Member Posts: 1
    so, for the past week or so every time i hit a pot hole or a significant bump in the road my car completely shuts off. it's done it about 25 times in the past 10 days!! thankfully i have been able to "steer" myself to the side of the road (as well as i can muster, anyways) so i can restart my car and it restarts right back up without a problem.

but today, i drove through an intersection and i hit a very small bump and my car shut off. this time i was on a street where there were cars parked back to back and i had nowhere to pull my car off to. THANK GOD there was only one car behind me at the time and he was not following too closely or going too fast, and i was able to quickly put my four-ways on to avoid any major problems.

but this made me think.. if this happens when i hit a small insignificant bump when i am at a simple intersection, WHAT is going to happen if i am on a highway going 65-70mph and i hit a pot hole and there is a tractor trailer behind me and i have NOWHERE to pull my car off to when my car decides to shut off? yep... pretty much.
  • nor_cal_famousnor_cal_famous Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 s.sl with pretty much identical problems....love the car just am getting REALLY frustrated with these issues,they are ALL of a dangerous kind too really!!! The only problem above I dont have is the high beam coming on whenever.
  • sassyone368sassyone368 Member Posts: 1
    i moved the battery wires a little bit and the errors dont seem to be occuring could it be that the battery wires were a little loose that wouldve caused the problems?
    > moved the battery wires a little bit

Do you mean the ones at the terminal box under the hood? Or at the battery in the trunk?

Cleaning and tightening all terminals on the positive lines would be a good step.

• lousmmrlousmmr Member Posts: 2
    I've just gotten on this site looking for answers, and my goodness I've had a lot of the issues with my 2005 Cobalt, Key getting stuck in the ignition, not turning off, power steering, had to have my entire geer shift replaced just last August 14,00.00, lights turning on and off,car just stalling out when I hit a bump, but the question I'm asking today is has anyone had any issues with the cruise control just staring up? I did and my car just took off, after I tapped the brakes it stopped, that was scary!! but this past Sunday I was involved in a serious accident, I was pulling into my drive and my car engine revved up and took off, I ended up through a brick wall, thank goodness if not for the brick wall I would have went over a pretty steep imbankment, I'm really not sure what happened, it was so fast, I am just wondering if anyone else has had an issue with their Cobalt like this?
  • lousmmrlousmmr Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone experienced the engine reeving up and their Cobalt just taking off at a high rate of speed, I have a 2005 cobalt bought it new,it had 32 miles on it when I drove it out of the dealership, and I have had many of the same issues I'm reading about, from it just stalling, light go on and off, air conditioner leaking on the passenger side, soaking the floor, power steering, keys getting stuck in the ignision, not being able to turn my car off,
    I've had my cruze control seem to just turn on and my car take off, but the scariest was when it just seem to reev up and my gas went all the way to the floor I ended up in a serious crash, so just wondering has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • jdbrucejdbruce Member Posts: 2
    I've been reading everyones posts, and feel for you all. I've had the same problems with mine and just don't know what to do. I'm not sure where you guys are all from, I'm in British Columbia Canada.

I bought my 2005 cobalt in 2006. It had 30,000km on it and was a previous rental car. I paid THROUGH the nose for it ($37K CAD) but that was my fault, high interest with new loans etc. Just really hurts with all the problems I've had with it - AND I'm not done paying for it yet!

A few of the problems are:
    1/ stereo locking all the time and not allowing me to play music. After replacement of the stereo by the dealer under warranty it was ok for a bit. THEN it started again and eventually ate and CD and refuses to play any cd's at all. It doesn't recognize the CD that is in it (store bought cd i might add).
    2/ electrical problems: door locks continually locking and unlocking by themselves, bulbs needing replacement on a regular basis, weird knocking sound at the rear of the car (usually after I've stopped the vehicle), Power Steering Column replaced (chevy covered before the recall went out), Ignition Control Module replaced (and another part just as expensive but I forget what it was - and it wasn't what was wrong with it), New catalytic converter, my windows don't open, i have to repeatedly 'play' with a wire under the hood to get my keyless remote to work and let my windows open (aftermarket locks and power windows dammit!)
    3/ Check engine light has been stuck on since i had the ignition control module and new cat put in. I cannot get it to go off. I've seen mechanics and people with code resetters and it doesn't work. (No I refuse to go back to Chevy - they suck so much money out of you trying to diagnose and come up with NOTHING!).
    4/ Recently, the Check Charge Sys light came on the dash. Today is the day it is getting looked at (my first resource when something happens to my car are these kinds of forums, so we are checking out the main cause people have posted about), and before my boyfriend can look at it, I started my car to take the kids to school and all of a sudden the Check Charge Sys is flashing with another new light - Battery Saver On.

I don't think that was everything -- there have been so many issues over the last 6 years!!!
    I'm really getting tired of this stuff. I'm so frustrated - and I still have a year to pay for this car :( I owe more still than what it's worth!!! Please everyone remember to research the car issues before you purchase -- AND NEVER BUY A FIRST YEAR MODEL! I sure learned my lesson. I don't think I would ever look at another chevrolet again :( which is sad because that is all I've ever owned!!!
  • wi2flwi2fl Member Posts: 1
    I had that problem just the other day with my '08 Chevy Cobalt. It would for no reason just make my car lung forward quickly without me even hitting the gas. Now that's what I call unsafe! Luckily, it stopped once I turned the car off and let it sit there for a little.
  • e53turnere53turner Member Posts: 3
    Have them check the fuse box under the hood, mine did the same thing and it was the fuse box, it had a bad gound connection, piece of crap!!
  • deathcapdeathcap Member Posts: 6
    you do know all you have to do is put the car in neutral and start the car you dont have to stop, but, as for the car shutting off have you tried changing air filter and cleaning the mass airflow system as well as the throttle body. hat did the trick for my 06 cobalt lt.
    i can maybe help with the key issue my cobalt does that on occasion because my shifter is cruddy i have to knock the shifter foward a little and the key will come out i think the car just doesnt register it is in park and if it doesnt it wont let you take the key out so give that a try next time it happens as for a permanent fix im guessing id have to replace the whole shifter system. as for the car revving on its own wow never had that happen before is your cruise control off? i would def. let a good mechanic take a look at it. ive only done one semester of school for gm lol im debating if i want to go back
    my car is leaking on the passenger side as well i crawled under and it seems to be coming from above the scuff shield or whatever im worried i may have majorly bottomed out or someone i foolishly let take my car to baltimore (worst rds ever)did something cause that shield guard seems a little loose. does anyone know what may be the problem or if its the ac and its normal? its mid winter and i havent used the ac in a while thats why im worried i checked my fluids brakes are fine (i just changed my pads and shoes scared i mighta screwed with the brake line or something) . My coolant seems to be fine but the leak is slow and i just noticed it today so idk. its not thick enough to be oil i know theres more fluids like tranny but im sure thats pinkish reddish and this seems not to have color. i apologize in advance for my grammar i dont use it often
  • cdwinters1983cdwinters1983 Member Posts: 1
    I bought this car used due to lack of funds for a Brand new car little did I know the headache it would cause me. First it was the locks that locked and unlocked by themselves, then it moved on to the locks not working at all. The radio just shuts off and gives me errors all the time. Its very picky about when it actually starts without having to try a million times. It revs itself up when its idling. And the icing on my cake is it just shuts off! Literally everytime I stop it just stops running. This is a huge issue! I am a single mom with 2 children I cant just drive a car that turns off several times and doesnt want to start again several times just on the way to school. The best part is every shop I have takin it to says they cant find anything wrong with it. I have never been more upset over a junk car in my life. Any suggestions on what to do with it?
  • tbird01tbird01 Member Posts: 1
    As we speak my Cobalt is sitting at the dealership. They have no clue how to fix all the multiple issues. Headlights on and off, Door locks go up and down, key not coming out, fuel gauge doesn't work correctly, then a 7 mile ride to the dealership the odometer adds 300 miles, car won't go more than 40 miles per hour, then it stops dead in traffic. Car dies and doesn't want to start back up. After a week they order a BCM (body control module) put it in and weren't getting any communication to it. Now they are trying to find the electrical issue that isn't communicating with the BCM??
    My thoughts run from "how do we file a class action suit?" "to putting our problems on the prayer list at church. " I truly believe at this point only God can get GM to do the right thing and recall all of these vehicles.
    So if anyone knows how or what it cost to get a class action suit started please share with this forum. If not then please join me in asking God to intervene on our behalf to get this problem resolved. Thanks for listening.
    Good morning tbird01,
    We're available to assist if you're interested in getting a Service Request set up. Please send us an email with more information (including but certainly not limited to your name, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership). We'd be able to then work with your dealership and follow through with you on the process.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • krisnld222krisnld222 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    I loved my little car until it went haywire on me! One day I was driving home and my windshield wipers started going. Couldn't turn them off for anything. Then the engine starts jolting. I'm literally screaming and then a message comes up on the screen "ENGINE POWERING DOWN." My car dies as I'm exiting the highway. I couldn't get it to start again. I shut it off and the windshield wipers were still going and the lights were on. I had it towed to the chevy dealer. They put a new steering motor in but the windshield wipers started going within a few days and the engine light stayed on the whole time. Why didn't they fix my car? Why didn't they see the check engine light? I took it to a different chevy dealer and they don't know whats wrong with it. Its been there for three days now. I WILL NEVER BUY A CHEVY AGAIN.

Ps I agree with tbird01, the only thing that's going to save my car at this point is God and yes, I am praying. lawsuit!
    u will get no help from gm ceo dan akerson, pre. gm north am., or paul copses vice pres of customer relations. after weeks of phone delays by customer relations toll free number, i began fedex and faxing these corporate mgrs. gm sold me a wrecked and repaired car from the factory and "by law" and i am quoting district mgr. paul wasko of los angeles area office and liano, ex. asst. to the CEO, "by law gm does not have to notify customers of any damage or repairs done at the factory" although the "dealers, by law, have to do so if damaged there" and "so do the transportors." I am suing the dealer in tn and gm and will use consumer protection law violations and fraud. u too will have to sue unless the dealer will correct the problem for your car. I called thre US Senators offices today as well as one congressman and one state assemblyman here in ca. the detroit guys making milions a year are putting all the pressure on dealers to correct and may not even be reimbursing the dealer for their costs under warranty. ther outa be a law.
    If we can look into this further for you, please contact us via email with more information (including your name/Edmunds username, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership).
    We look forward to hearing from you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    READERS PRINT THIS ONE and email it to all your family/friends/coworkers. THIS ONE IS WORTH READING. Sarah, call Detroit main offices and ask to speak to Liano Saucedo, CEO Dan Akerson's executive assistant, who was put in charge of the matter (Mr. Aderson, Mark Reuss Pres. of GM North America and Paul Copses, newly named VP of Customer relations to provide "world first class service to GM customers" (I and my family were customers for 45 years. No more). I Fedexed 3 copies of 15 pages of documents so that each of the above would get their respective copies. Cost me about $69. Still have all the copies of the fedexes and faxes over a period of weeks that fell on deaf ears at the CEO level after two months of deaf ears and no action by GM Customer Service toll free numbers. My name is Don B. and I live in Burbank Ca. They all should know who I am. iF NOT, THEY ARE NOT DOING THEIR JOBS.I am giving the case now to TN lawyers based on Ca lawyers rec. to sue the dealer who sold the car to me and GM. According to email replys and phone call replies by lawyers from TX, VA and CA, some of whom have successfully sued GM for millions in class action, it is fraud to sell a wrecked repaired/repainted car as new and not inform the prospective buyer. All GM is doing is buying time by stonewalling me and letting me sue so GM insurance company is out the cost and not GM. It is a case of the 99% v. the 1%. Have the CEO's rep. call me. He has my phone, address and all unless he and the three top GM officials would rather spend their time answering interrogatories and appearing in court and Hearings in Congress. Yesterday, I did call three US Senators and one US Congressman's office and informed their staffs of my situation and that "There should be a law" as one CA Assemblyman put it to me in person on Veteran's Day celebration here in Burbank. He too may get a feather in his cap for CA law as will the Senator, whom I saw on the Consumer Protection Committee hearing the financial issue before them now on C span coverage, and the Congressman at the national level. All will get faxes. Sarah, at GM Customer Service, you may look into it but when I call customer service at GM that is all I got for two months. "We are still looking into it. Can you give us 5 more business days?" Then weeks later "3 more business days?" My reply was "No, you have had enough time." Until I faxed Corporate HQ two months later, I got no action. Then after 3 more weeks of faxes and phone calls, the CEO Dan Akerson's representative, Liano Saucedo, said "There is nothing we can do for you. We know what you are about to do (go to Congress, the Press, etc. and sue us) but "By law we do not have to infrom you of damage and repairs made by the manufacturer and we can sell the car as new. There is nothing we can do." or words to that effect. "Can you please put that in writing" I replied. "No, we cannot put anything to you in writing to you." It is interesting to note that the customer cannot tape record the phone conversations but GM can tape record the conversation on ther end. When I inform customer service reps. that I would like to record my end their reply is "I will have to hang up if you record me." Where is due process and fairness. All you readers have the story first. I am retired and have the time to work on this case. I feel sorry for the GM dealers and for the GM workers on the assembly line, who through tactics like the CEO and customer service department use to delay and deny customer service satisfaction, lose future sales to former and future customers who read and hear this kind of story. Don, retired Teacher/Professor/Rule 31 Family Mediator. Customers of GM, there is no customer service at the bottom or the top of GM customer Service. The local dealer is your only hope, then court. Do not waste three months time dealing with them. Sue. As the district mgr. of After Sales of all of the Los Angles, CA, Paul W. said (when he supposedly inspected the car) I told him I guess I will have to sue, meaning GM, his reply was, "Be sure you spell my name right!" We will.
  • alzheimeralzheimer Member Posts: 4
    4-door sedan
    Symptoms may or may not be related- intermittent:
    1. Heater/AC Fan inexplicably quits working and a day or two later works. Happens a lot, and has been out for 3 days this time.
    2. Unable to see radio information unless I turn auto lights off. Turning the automatic lights back on (daytime or night) and the radio is dark. May have something to do with cruise control but unlikely.
    3. Fuses appear to be okay.
    4. Heater/AC fan blower may also have bad bearing because of ticking sound it has had since the beginning. I thought it was hitting something...sigh. I thought if replaced the cabin air filter I would make sure installed properly and ticking would go away. Wrong-- lost the warranty opportunity.

5. Unsure that it matters, but I did replace the tail light/turn signal bulb a few days ago in left rear.

I need to have the blower fan running and think goodness for a warm winter so far.

Comments/suggestions?
  • alzheimeralzheimer Member Posts: 4
    I don't know if you got an answer, and I'm certainly not a car expert. With that said, you may be running your A/C compressor with your heater on. If you have the fan on and the A/C switch on, you would be receiving dehumidified heat. And, if you are doing that (I often do it), the compressor is taking water out of the air and the drain tip is probably above where you see the water. Check it out.
    edited February 2012
    > I guess I will have to sue, meaning GM,

Let us know when you actually file the case in court. ;)

Otherwise, your post is all one paragraph, making it very difficult to read. Please add some linefeeds for new paragraphs. :blush:

> this seems not to have color.

If there is enough to get your finger wet with it, does it smell like coolant? When the car is cool, you can check your coolant by unscrewing the cap to the reservoir--when car is hot, that's under pressure so don't open until the car has cooled 30 minutes or more.

If the liquid is somewhat oily but clear it might be transmission fluid which can hit a realtively colorless stage as it goes from wine pink to clear to tan to brown with heat damage from wear and age.

If it's regular at doing this, put something under the place where it drips to catch some of it and take it in to a garage that you know will be honest or to a dealer just, just for their opinion about it.

Your car does not have power steering using hydraulic fluid or I would have gone for power steering fluid. Your car has electric steering I believe.

• abfsabfs Member Posts: 1
    Well, my 05 Cobalt stalled while going down road. Has not started since. Tried to figure it out myself, but ran out of ideas. Took it to dealer, told them what I checked and issue I had. They called me and said they "think" it is the PCM. Then they said if that is not the issue, that they "think" it is the Fuse Box. They said both together will be about $900. I said if the new PCM doesnt fix it, and you have to put in a fuse box, why will I be charged for the PCM if it didn't fix the problem. They said that is the way it works.
    Basically, they dont know what the problem is. They just want to start changing parts until they figure out which one fixes the problem, and then charge me for every part they put on, even if the parts didnt fix the problem. I told them I could throw parts on it with it sitting in my front yard a LOT cheaper that letting them do it!!!!
    They looked at it for about another 45 minutes and called me back to telll me that the fuel pump relay wasnt getting power and that was powered by the PCM. That is true, but when I told tham I already checked all that and when I ran the fule pump with a direct power supply, the car still didnt run. They just said "oh, really, didnt know that". What kind if techs do they have working at dealers?!?!?!? I know more about my cars problems and how to troubleshoot it that they do and I dont even have a computer hookup for it!!!

Looks like I just wasted $80.00 for a diagnostic check.

Personally I "think" it is the BCM.
    Car stalled going down road. Antitheft goes off every time you open door. Even it the key is in the ignition. Door locks dont work, but if you disconnect battery and hook it back up, doors lock by themselves.

But dealer is dead set that it isnt BCM. They think since the fuel pump isnt working its the PCM, even though the antitheft shuts down the fuel pump so it cant be stolen.

Not happy with GM right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • davidrforbusdavidrforbus Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    Hey guys I have a 2005 Chevy cobal 4 door sedan. I'm having most of the problems that you guys have. Radio not working, Door locks not working water from the ac leaking in the passenger floor. Started around 86k miles with the power steering going out while shift really hard, all my guages jump up and down like crazy. Doesn't happen all the time but at leat 4 days out of the week. If I have to stop hard when its acting crazy it'll just say f-you and die in the middle of the road. I've been in contact with GM, They said if I take it too a dealer and pay to have them find out what's wrong with it and the problem being a factory problem they would take care of it. Great, Would have been wonderful. Took it to my local gm dealer, Mike bell chevorlet, They charge me $390 and say it was my aftermarket radio. I was absolutely furious. Had no chioce but to pay and get not even a mile down the road and it starts messing up again. Called them told them they had not fixed it and they said just to bring it back, Asked if they were going to fixed it for free since I had already paid them so much just for a diagnostic and got nothing for it. They laughed and said thats not how it works. Got home and checked the car out and all I can tell that they did was unpluged my radio. That's it. Tried to contact gm again and could not get ahold of anyone untill I left a voicemail saying that if the powersteering goes out and I get in a wreck I'll sue them(Still will when if it happends). Get a call from some guy (didn't even tell me his name) saying that the dealer told them it was a aftermarket radio problem and they would do nothing to help me out. Customer service will not help you out at all, As bad as it is GM will probably get away with putting this lemon out there for non-suspecting buyers to get screwed on. I'll never buy another gm car and I'll do my best to make sure no one I know buys one either.
  • rosa11rosa11 Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 2005 COLBOLT. DRIVER DOOR WON'T OPEN FROM INSIDE. GOT TO USE THE OUTSIDE HANDLE TO GET OUT. CONTACTED GM WON'T DO A THING ABOUT IT. ITS A SAFETY ISSUE AND THEY WON'T ACCEPT IT. DONE WITH GM AND THERE SERVICE IS THE PITTS
  • rosa11rosa11 Member Posts: 3
    IF ANYONE Has a issue with there door locking up and not working call susanne at 18002633777 press4 ex 2346 she told me they haven't had any complaints so let her know. 0N 2005 COLBOLTS
  • lmh579lmh579 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Cobalt. I noticed a few days ago that the daytime running lights are not coming on at all. I had to replace a head light bulb and the LH low fuse a few weeks ago. The lights (both day and regular) worked fine after both items were replaced. Now, the DRL do not come on at all. The actual headlights are still coming on automatically, or when I manually turn them on. We have checked all the head light fuses and all seem to be fine. Any suggestions on what else to check?
  • kaycaykaycay Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2006 chevy cobalt i have had to replace the fuel pump but at gm expense. my air conditioner was leaking all over my passenger side floor. i took it to an air conditioner repair and was told that my air conditionerdrain was clogged and he unclogged it for about 60.00 have not had any problem with that issue since. that was in december. but i agree with everybody who thinks cobalts are lemons. they never should have replaced the cavaliers.
  • citrusxcitrusx Member Posts: 1
    Hey all I am having issues with my 2008 4dr 2lt cobalt. At 3000 miles the BCM was replaced by the dealer, since then they have done nothing. Both struts blew at 50k, replaced those along with the rotors, transmission lines are leaking as well. There is a pulsation in the steering wheel when slowing down (not the brakes) that you can also hear under the hood rattling. The stereo intermittently does not work along with the power windows and the head lights stay on all day in the sunshine, not allowing the driver to see the illuminated display. Any help? My dealer has been worthless and won't life a finger because it is out of bumper to bumper warranty, it was in there at 35k and was documented, now it has 65k and since it hasn't been in there for 30k it is not their responsibility. Any suggestions on the problems?
  • smlemcoolsmlemcool Member Posts: 3
    I too have a 05 Cobalt, and have had nothing but PROBLEMS!!!! My throttle body clogs up after a few short months, and the car will randomly shut off. So I have to take the engine cover apart to clean it out. NOW, and this just started happening over the past weekend, my locks go CRAZY. So far it is only my driver's side door that unlocks itself, but I can't park it anywhere and expect to come back to a completely locked car. I have to change out my headlights every few months, as they tend to burn up rather quickly. My radio face does not illuminate at all anymore. Luckily I have my stations pre-programed. I have called Chevy about my car shutting off and their answer is to pay for a diagnostic at the dealership. However, I cannot afford for them to "guess" what is wrong. This isn't the first forum I have come across with people having these issues and chevy is doing NOTHING to help us out!!!! I am quite pi$$ed at how often my car has strange issues!!! If I knew how to file a class action lawsuit I would, so if anyone knows of one or is thinking about starting one, let me know and I will jump on board with you!
    Oh- and another thing I have noticed, is that my break pedal will stay "pushed in" a little bit if I tap my breaks, so I have to reach my foot under the pedal and lift it up to release them!!! AHH so frustrating!!!
    AND please, I do NOT need any response from anyone with GM because you have NOT helped me when I have called and I am NOT paying for your dealership to guess with my money. Obviously chevy does not know what the problem is due to the fact there are NUMEROUS complaints online, and still NO RECALL and NO SOLUTION.
    I guess once I get my bumper knocked off due to my car shutting down in an intersection (which just happened the other day) and I sue the pants off of chevy, then MAYBE something might get done on their end.
    If I could afford to pull a car loan out to get into something safer I would. However, as it is now, I have to continue to limit how far I will drive this stupid car with my kids riding in it!!
    edited May 2012
    my 09 cobalt is in chey shop with water all over passenger floor board as well. first fix reseal failed. mechanic second attempt ran car on rack for two hours water flowing out ok. told him to drive it. he did and water all over floor board. will tear out dash and find "if something is floating around in there to stop up drain hole." out of service for a week. gave me a rent car. nice. this is same coblat that had been evidently wrecked and repaired at the factory. it even has a red sticker on driver door placed there by factory. dealer did not inform me of damage and repaint and he claims dealership was not notified by GM. having to sue local selling dealer and GM. GM stance all the way to CEO office (I Fedex all three down to VP level) GM "by law we not have to inform customer of damage and repair" although dealers and transportors do "by law" have to inform the customer of damage done by them in process of getting vehicle to customer. No customer service from bottom up with GM. It took two months to get to the point "sue us." It is all up to the dealer. Dealers are privately owned companies selling GM products. District Mgr of after sales in Los Angeles did not even inspect the car. He just looked at it from 7 feet away and said "there is nothing wrong with this car." He would not even approach the car to see the tape lines still on the car from the repaint job. He would not even open the door to look at the repaint. He had already made his decision before he looked at the car. When told I may sue, he replied, "Be sure to spell my name right." I ask him his name, he did not even shake my hand at the introduction nor inform me of his name, the service mgr. from the dealership had to tell him, "the card is in your pocket." whereupon he reached into his right front pocket and handed me his card and walked away. odd place to keep a card. GM confirmed by phone he was really the District Mgr. Good thing China is buying GM. It is a management problem not a labor problem. CEO making 15 million a year and GM cannot keep their loyal customers, me 45 years. GM should have settled this before a suit is filed. Insurance co. will pay not GM so I am told by a salesman. Only in America. A product from Japan would have resulted in an apology and how can we make this up to you? same car kept running and would not cut off. power steering replaced. tranny ck for clip but ok on recall. driver door speaker replaced twice. rain running down moulding so they say. yes it is the driver door damaged at factory.
  • gteachmangteachman Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2008 4-dr, automatic with standard door locks and windows. Basically, a plain vanilla black Cobalt. I did have a popular aftermarket RF cruise control installed. My 2008 automatic has had numerous eccentric electrical issues since I got the car. A new bad habit has recently appeared. The Security Icon will light up (I don't have a security system) and immediately the transmission starts shifting very hard. It will jerk the car during normal shifting. It reminds me of when my kids starting learning how to drive a manual transmission. The local GM dealer is clueless so far. Does anyone out there have any ideas I could pass on to Mr. Good"but clueless"wrench?

Thanks,

George Teachman