Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt Electrical Problems

Comments

• I'm having the same problems with my 2005 cobalt I purchased 3 months ago from a used car dealership. The tc light and check engine light comes on, the car jerks alot, the low fuel and power steering flashes. The key is constantly getting stuck. I have taken it to several repair shops and no one seems to know what the problem is. The code that is coming up is a dealer code. Took it to dealer first was told to remove alarm system (not factory alarm), did that same problem. Dealer then suggested body control module but another repair shop suggested that the tranmission is failing. I don't know what to do, this car is surely a lemon. If you get any help please email me with suggestions. Thanks
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,068
    peaches2u,

I would encourage you to keep working with your GM dealership. Please keep me posted on any information regarding the status of the vehicle.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • gdawg415gdawg415 Posts: 3
    I have not involved customer assistance nor has the dealer spoke to Technical assistance. The car blew the park neutral fuse again. I took it to a shop and they said ( but could not guarantee ) it was the park neutral switch. I paid them about $400 and then about a month late the park neutral fuse blew again and about two week later the HVAC fuse blew as well. This is so frustrating!
    gdawg415,
    I apologize for your frustrations. What I would like to do is set up a case for you with GM Customer Assistance as well as involve Technical Assistance. If you can please email me your mailing address, telephone number, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer, I would like to get this process started. I look forward to your response. Have a great weekend.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • skakskak Posts: 1
    ihave the same problem did you find out what it was?
  • gdawg415gdawg415 Posts: 3
    Hi,

I don't mind giving you this information but what exactly will this do to help my situation. What exactly does GM Customer Assistance/Technical Assistance do?
    gdawg415,

GM Customer Assistance will deal with you and the dealership to get the problems resolved as well as get Technical Assistance involved.

Thank you and look forward to hearing from you,
  • mgallenmgallen Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2008 Cobalt and until yesterday everything has been smooth sailing. The Cobalt has an electronic temperature gauge and I noticed driving yesterday that the numbers were blank as I drove. I didn't think much of it but I turned on the AC and it did not blow cold air.

After work I came out and the two problems were there until I got on the highway. The temperature gauge started to work and so did the AC. Please help!
  • My Cobalt had the air conditioner just quit blowing after they performed the steering column issue. I am still having problems with the shifting of the transmission, and of course they can never find anything. Good luck. My door handle on the drivers side has now broken. This is the biggest piece of crap. FYI don't buy a Cobalt
    mgallen,

I would encourage you to have your local dealership diagnose the vehicle. Please keep us posted on any information.

Thank you,
    anitalclark1,

Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation. Also, could you include your screen name from the forum?

Thank you,
  • arkgreenarkgreen Posts: 7
    edited May 2011
    I have a 2005 Cobalt with 88,000 miles. Vehicle will slow down, door locks activate constantly in all gears except Park. Odometer constantly changes, TC light comes on and when I slow down, the key dinger comes on. Transmission will not shift out of first gear. I drove approximately 12 miles but it added close to 200 miles on the odometer. It shows my average speed as 150 mph. Engine light came on and I finally captured a code: Transmission Shifter Module. I replaced the shifter 2 years ago, could this be my problem? I have been told the Body Control Module has been having problems with losing ground and will a new shifter take care of this?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,552
    This could be a tough one to solve. Yeah, the BCM is a guess, but I think first thing to do would be to have the car scanned and read the trouble codes---then examine the relevant connectors that correspond to the trouble code systems being recorded--pull those connectors apart and look for corrosion. This has been a problem on GM vehicles.

Thanks for your reply. The only code that pulled up was PO700 which is a general code for the trans shifter module. I will pull all the plugs tonight and see if I can locate the problem. Hopefully I have a lose ground wire somewhere that I can find and not the BCM going out.
    That's a good start. Get a magnifying glass and good light and look at the plating on all the connectors. Look for what they call "fretting corrosion" which is a kind of blackness. Also you can clean those up and use a light (LIGHT) coating of dialectic grease on the contacts.

• pvanhousepvanhouse Posts: 9
    When my BCM was bad ('05 Cobalt) I never got trouble codes for anything. And it took many, many service visits for them to agree with an early analysis from a chevy mechanic that the BCM was the cause of the issue. Unfortunately we were on the road for that analyasis and the dealer did not have the part. We mistakenly thought that another chevy dealer would look up the analysis and install the replacement....wrong. Was fixed about 5k before the extended warranty ran out. It's run like a champ since then.
  • cobaltss1cobaltss1 Posts: 3
    That is part of the problem. Scanner doesn't read anything as if there is no power to the port. Essentially the port is dead. This is why I am thinking its is the BCM. Regardless, I should be able to power the radio around the BCM, unless there is something that prohibits this, like a feedback loop that also runs through the BCM/radio links. It is aggrevating as all getout. To have the BCM replaced is going to cost $250 parts PLUS labor and it HAS to be done at a dealership since the new BCM has to be prograqmmed to the VIN of the vehicle
    Hmmm....correct me someone please if I am wrong (hard to believe, I know :P )...but wouldn't a dead diagnostic port *possibly* come under the 80K Federal Emissions warranty?

arkgreen,

Have you had a chance to take the vehicle into your dealership to be diagnosed? Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
  • wweissbeckwweissbeck Posts: 8
    I hate to disappoint you at GM, but the dealers are completely clueless on this issue. They pretend never to have encountered it (Cobalts have been around since '05). They have no idea what the usual symptoms are for a bad TCM, BCM or some other short/part causing eletrical gremlins. I had the power steering motor replaced under recall which made the existing electrical issue worse. Replaced the TCM because that's what the codes told the dealership to do. Didn't fix anything. Now after $300, they want to start with the battery. From reading the forum, I suspect it's the BCM, but that should have been the dealer's first guess. Unfortunately, the way the Cobalt is interconnected, you almost have to go all in on all the computers to rule out which one is the problem. The dealer won't plug one in, program it, and see what happens.
    arkgreen,
    Have you had a chance to take it into a GM dealer? If not, I would recommend doing so. Please keep me updated on your progress and concerns. Feel free to email me with and questions comments or concerns.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    It is at the dealer right now.
  • wweissbeckwweissbeck Posts: 8
    Please keep me posted on what the dealer does and whether it fixes the problem. The trouble I have with these bulletin boards is that people list their issues, but not if/how they get resolved. I suspect this one is very tricky. I think it may be a short in the wiring to and from the BCM, not within the BCM. I think that because of voltage fluctuations when my car acts up and the inconsistent ignition starts.
    wweissbeck,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me with your complete contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I look forward to your response. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Dealer feels like replacing the BCM for $680.00 will eliminate the problem but not for sure. I may be trading this vehicle in (as is) and may not have the true solution for it. The vehicle will run fine until it gets hot and that is when it all starts acting up.
    arkgreen,

Please keep us posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
  • I just want to say, I just got home after having to jump my car twice within a 10 mile drive from work. I also have a cobalt (2005), and the electrical systems have always been messing up, so after having to sit in 100+ degree weather waiting on someone to jump me.... i decided i would finally research it.

Well, this was the first the I found and as I read I kept thinking to myself about how similar my issues are. I was thinking earlier how I didnt need to jump it last night after it cooled down, but earlier when it was hot, I also had to jump it 2 different times (so thats 4 times within 24 hours).

I just found it ironic that my car ALSO has electrical problems but usually only when its hot out...
    gaming_rellik,

Have you taken your vehicle into your local dealership to be diagnosed? Please keep us posted on any information.

Thank you,
  • cobaltss1cobaltss1 Posts: 3
    I am taking it in to Davis Chevrolet (Houston, Texas) tomorrow 06/02/11. I made the initial appointment for the Recall issue, but i might Bo said he would look into the electrical issues. If all else fails I will simply roll the note into another New Chevrolet vehicle
    cobaltss1,

Thank you for the update. Please keep me posted on any information from the dealership. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,