Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt Electrical Problems

Comments

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346
    "4th, CD Player dies and gets error. Take it to shop the cd players isnt covered by warranty they say will take over 500 bucks to fix and its completely broken i say screw that. A few weeks later i accidently press the cd button and the cd players starts working"

gotta love a car that fixes itself..

but all kidding aside, from what i have been reading, the earlier Cobalts had a ton of wiring and electrical issues. Hope you were able to get some of the stuff sorted out.
    I would wish you luck to get ALL the stuff sorted, but that almost seems like too much to hope for.
  • Re:Worst car ever- that is how all of my problems started with the CD player, then the daytime running lights not working, then the gas gauge, then key getting stuck.
    The car almost killed me several times, completely dying on the major highway in
    Pennsylvania. Dealer kept saying car was fixed etc.making me look like I was an hysterical woman.

Lost so much money on this car, still got rid of it, hated driving it thinking it would kill me.
    Good luck to you.
    Sorry to hear :(

One thing i have learned is to not keep going back to the same incompetent dlr. They are not all the same. Even a dlr whom u didn't buy from, will often help u out way better, and they know that you will keep them in mind for your next purchase if you stay with brands they sell.

What yr was yours?

My neighbour recently bought a (likely 2010) Cobalt. He was very happy, proclaiming all the bells and whistles it had for such a low price (which wasn't low at all considering they are clearing out a replaced car (with the Cruze).

I was shocked he traded in their Vibe on it! The Vibe/Matrix even though was a few years old, I suspect was a better sorted car than what he replaced it with. I didn't rain on his parade, but i suspect others already had, cuz he kept saying that at least he has new with full wty etc etc.
    To myself, I stood there thinking/hoping he wouldn't need it but I think the new Cobalts had a lot of the issues sorted out that the 05 etc had. I would have bought their Vibe (for my nephew) had I known they were getting rid of it. The car was fine. Never had a problem with it. Gas and oil changes and tire rotations.
  • ">link titleOur '05 leaks A/C water onto the front passenger side floor. I attempted to clean out the weep holes and debris from the hood vents under the windshield... but still not fixed. Water is collecting and causing the carpet and interior to smell, Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem. Thanks
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,715
    edited December 2010
    See previous post and link to HHR discussion about a cover on the heater box leaking water in air intake area under wipers.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0e875e/144#MSG144

This message has been approved.

• Mine stalled at a red light after the power steering was replaced also, but the day after they fixed the power steering recall my aircond/heater blower went out. Last week I was getting on the Highway and my transmission stuck and ran up to 5 RPM's. I have taken it in at least 3 times for a rough shift between 30-40 mph I was told that is how the new transmissions are. I wish I had never purchased this 2007 Cobalt LT. it has been a money pit. The local service people even told me my car was not in the recall, but after they replaced the power steering motor my gas mileage went back up to between 28-36 MPG. I wish I had a FORD!
  • Apparently it is luck of the draw. My '06 LS coupe has performed very well, 110k and counting. Now, with that said, It did get a case of didn't know what gear to be in. Didn't do it all the time and if you pull over turn it off & recrank it, it wouldn't do it again that day maybe not the next day. Anyway, it was the Transmission Control Module.

Good luck
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,003
    anitalclark1,
    Can you please email me with your contact information including mailing address and a good number to reach you, VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and Edmunds user name? I would like to look into this for you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • chendl05chendl05 Posts: 1
    edited December 2010
    I bought my Cobalt in June 05, at first it was the best little car. Fully loaded, heated leather seats, sunroof, pioneer system with stock sub. 2 Months into the car I had to take it in for a leak in my "anti-lock brake valve". I've also had the chrome door handles replaced after i cut my hand and it did it again, the plastic piece around my sunroof fell off and has been fixed at a dealership 3 times .. that is still not attached. In 2007 I got into a car accident and had a new hood put on it (Which came from a dealership no longer open) which is now rusted the size of a half dollar! GM will not replace it because it has not rusted all the way threw. Really? Sell me a junk hood and say oops? For the past 3 winters everytime i stop when it is cold and i have my heat and heated seats on my rpm's drop and my engine power reduces, my engine and traction control lights both come on. I paid a dealership $75 to try and find the problem, which it didn't and took it back a year later for them to tell me nothing is wrong.
    On a good note, great gas miliage and i love how it handles. I just hope my next GM vehicle doesn't have so many cosmetic issues and better service. Oh, My power locks do not work anymore and my chevy symbol fell off of my trunk. I feel like i drive a 5 year old beater. :lemon:
  • I had the same exact thing happen to me, and I paid to get the whole throttle body put in, however a week later my car is doing the same thing. I have no idea what to do now.
  • Thanks sharkman. GM has contacted me and we are trying a different dealer. Maybe that will help. Taking it in Friday wish me luck!
    Because of cost to pursue other avenues, I would first do this:

- confirm you haven't bought contaminated gas (water, seaweed etc - this has happened to me when I bought diesel in Sarasota FL once many years ago)
    - then have the fuel filter replaced. _ hopefully it is a stand alone object in the fuel line, but there is a possibility it is part of the fuel pump assembly IN the tank, so in that case would not be cheap.

But I would have the tank checked for contamination and that should not cost too much unless it was found to BE contaminated. To check, go to local corner gas stn and ask them for a dab of litmus test paste. It is a light green. They put it on dip sticks when they guage the inground tanks when ordering gas. They wipe it on and draw it up the bottom 18" or so of the stick. At the point it turns to red from green, is the water level in the tank.

But...some stns have gone very hi tech and possibly that whole operation is automated now, so check around.
    You might have to Google where u can buy the litmus paste and then have your mechanic dip your fuel tank.

While the Cobalts seem to have this throttle body issue, what you described happened to simulate fuel starvation also (by a clogged filter) especially how quickly the problem returned. Good luck.
  • Very good suggestions. We were just discussing a similar issue in a Toyota Corolla discussion here.

wrichards, if you live in a cold climate, and if the car spends long periods outdoors, you might try putting a bottle of Heet in the gas tank. It's about $3 and available at auto parts or discount stores like Wal-Mart. Sometimes moisture gets in there, whether already in the gas station's tanks, or in yours. If that's the case, Heet will work wonders. (if it works, I'd also consider going to a different gas station in the future.)

If it doesn't work, at least you'll have ruled that out as a cause for almost no money.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Good point also, Kirstie. I had forgot about the moisture in gas due to condensation in cold winter climates (try to keep tank full to reduce that, wrichards) and the potential freezing of moisture in the filters.

I suspect that the Heet you mentioned is just a methyl hydrate of some sort. Hopefully/probably rubber seal friendly, which can't be assumed with hardware store bought MH. I suppose that is ONE good thing about ethanol use in gas in recent years. It has a natural type of moisture evaporation quality in gas.

>It's about $3 and available at auto parts or discount stores like Wal-Mart.

The methanol (wood alcohol, methyl hydrate) that's in Heet or any other brand of product that "removes water" from gasoline is a good check. But I don't personally recommend its frequent use because of seals in the system.

If the poster uses gasoline that contains ethanol, it probably keeps any condensate picked up from their tank bottom and burned. The ethanol gasolines have additives that help the gasoline and ethanol stay mixed and suspend the water present.

• Gotcha. We don't have ethanol-blended gas in this part of the state, which may contribute to our issues. We've had to use Heet twice in the past 1.5 years, which isn't bad. If the seals go... well, it is a 13-yr-old truck that was cheap. You can only expect so much.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

That ability to carry away condensed moisture is the only advantage of ethanol, in my opinion. I believe it's mandated at a certain level of total usage in Ohio, so most stations have ethanol blended.

I didn't know there were areas that were alcohol free!

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,003
    wrichards79,
    Can you please email me your complete contact info including a good number to reach you, VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and your Edmunds username (or a link to this page). I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Christina, my email address is wrichards79@yahoo.com, you can email me your email address so I can give you all my information. Thank you