Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon Engine Questions

167891012»

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,957
    By all means SAVE a gas sample when they drain the tank (if in fact, the problem is fuel---it may not be). By saving a sample, you can possibly make the station pay for something.

Diesel fuel stinks, so the garage should be able to spot that in 10 seconds.

I'm thinking this is an electronics problem, just on the face of it.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• My 2003 Avalon has no power sometimes after first taking off. When I back out of my driveway in the morning (after allowing it to warm) I will have the gas pedal pushed to the floor and the car will not have enough power to get out of the driveway. I will then let it coast back in the driveway and turn off everything (heat or ac, radio, lights, etc) and give it a little gas and back out fine. When I turn my heat/ac or anything else on, it loses power again. Once I get on the highway, it will do just fine with everything on...what could be the problem. Thanks for any info!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,957
    First off, we'd need to read some trouble codes, to see if anything's stored in there.

At this point, we can only guess blindly---sounds like you might have an alternator issue.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• mikec30mikec30 Posts: 1
    Hey- Have you ever gotten to the bottom of this?

I'm having the same trouble. 1998 Avalon. Runs really rough only hot, intermittently. Starts to happen after a slow down going from high speed to lower speeds. Once it starts it normally keep happening until the car is shut off for 10 - 15 minutes. Sometimes I can take a 200 mile trip with no trouble, then later on it happens randomly on 5 or 30 mile trips. If it happens it always goes away after a 15 minute off period.

Thanks for any feedback.
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 589
    Wild guesses: Thermostat sticking; water passages or hoses clogged from trash circulating in the system; low coolant level: electrical sensor problems.... others may have more ideas. Ever clean the cooling system? Hope you find it... :)
  • teezeddteezedd Posts: 8
    edited April 2013
    I can't find your step by step on cleaning the IAC Also looking for proper method to check MAF sensor status. I need to figure out the wires on the harness to test.
    I cleaned the MAF but the P0171 returns after a few starts
  • rlr111rlr111 Posts: 1
    If anyone can provide a copy of the Canadian Limited Service Campaign notice for the VVT-i oil hose problem it would be much appreciated.

I just had to replace my engine after 35,000 miles, because of this issue and Toyota Canada will not stand behind their product claiming that there was no such "Limited Service Campaign".

Many thanks
  • As you might know, if you import a vehicle from the U.S. into Canada, you require a letter from Toyota Canada if it is a Toyota stating that there are no outstanding recall repairs against the vehicle. Of course, this becomes one huge issue especially because the dealerships do not want you to import vehicles for less cost from the U.S. and thus create huge obstacles to provide such a letter.
    Other high end manufacturers like Mercedes, BMW, Volvo deliberately make life difficult by asking huge sums of money pretending it to be some big deal and safety could be compromised.
    In any case, after fighting with them numerous times, I discovered, Dep't of Transport will accept a printout of a cars history which clearly outlines what had been a recall and if it was fixed. What I do now if I am bringing a car from the U.S., I simply ask a dealership in the U.S. if they could give me the printout of the cars history. Toyota has everything on every vehicle and they make a point of checking that regardless of where you are...Mexico, U.S.A., Canada. It is a way for them to justify repairs if the vehicle has changed hands etc..

So, what I am saying is this. Try to go to a Toyota dealership and charm a service manager to print you the history of the car...they have it available online and ask if there were any recalls or any outstanding recalls. You might find the answer you are looking for.
    Also, I would Google recalls on your Model Toyota and you might find it there since it is a mandatory issue if it involves safety.

I hope this helps??
  • Yes. I have copies.... go to this link for copies of both

https://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/

Within that site are links to copies of both the Canadian version and the US version AND all the newspaper articles and press releases ....... this affected 1.6 million recalled vehicles.

Toyota Canada Recall(s): Shortly after the first Toyota USA campaign letters went out, Toyota Canada sent out a letter to affected vehicle owners dated November, 2009 describing a "customer satisfaction campaign" http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN019717220100301 " that was almost the polar opposite of the U.S. version as to what vehicles were covered. It covered all affected models and years: 05-09 Avalon, Rav4, Camry, Highlander, & Siennas (but like its USA counterpart not 100% of VIN numbers are covered), It does explain the possibility of engine damage and it does create a sense of urgency telling the recipients that upon receipt of this letter, contact any authorized Toyota dealer and make an appointment - the campaign is a limited time offer. Copies of the letter at http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20014&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&star- t=405&sid=cddcab9df7b3dff5f107868b6a187506 post # 415 and http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23527&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&star- t=15 post #17. The letter does not describe the replacement part, but it appears Toyota Canada is using the same cheap fix as Toyota USA http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2981747&posted=1#post2981747 post #97.."So there you have it folks, the great Toyota fix, it's effectively useless long term, worth just enough to pacify the buyers and get you over the warranty period to a point where they have no accountability! Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant!!! So glad I did mine and replaced it with the complete steel pipe! best 150 bucks I have ever spent!" Yikes - update December 3: http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20014&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&star- t=420 post #423 Canadian dealers refusing to install the all metal oil line. Update 2/14/10: Dated February, 2010, Toyota sent out the IDENTICAL recall letter it did last November but to more vehicles so that VIN #'s that were missed in the original mailing are now put on notice.

I have copies of everything you might need if the links don't work. Email me at toyotadriver2009@live.com (it's listed in the website).

I am Paul3637 on all toyota forums. I suggest you going toyotanation which has lots of Canadian members, too. Post your problem in the gen6 camry forum.
167891012»