Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon Engine Questions

Comments

• jrwyattjrwyatt Posts: 6
    Hi, we have the same problem, took it to Dealer and his top mechanic said no problem and that if something did happen it was under warranty. So I went home and called Toyota and made a formal claim. I suggest you do the same, they will give you a number. I am convinced they know that they have a problem but are not willling to admit it. I told them I had a Saturn with over 100,000 miles on it and a Ford f-150 with over 110,000 and had quieter motors than the Toyota Avalon.
  • binderzoobinderzoo Posts: 5
    Thanks, will do.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,403
    Why don't you try a synthetic oil next time and see what happens. And use a factory oil filter, too.

• binderzoobinderzoo Posts: 5
    Toyota changes the filter but maybe I will try the synthetic oil next time. Thanks
  • sbmansbman Posts: 12
    I researched the noise at startup and found it's the fuel injectors. They quiet down after about five minutes of driving. Go test drive a new one and it will make the same noise. Toyota says its not a problem that they will/can fix.
    Oh yeah, injectors can make a kind of tappety-tap but they usually stay noisy. No real harm if they are noisy.

• rpfingstenrpfingsten Posts: 154
    I recently had my avy in for an oil change and when they brought my car back to me, I mentioned to the service manager that upon start up I often heard a rappid clicking sound from the engine. He told me the same thing, fuel injectors were what I was hearing and that the noise was normal upon start up.. and in fact after running a few minutes, they do get pretty quiet. FYI, I also remember hearing the exact same noise when I test drove an ES last year.

Roland
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Mine does it too. Another thing to think about as stupid as this may sound is that if you start your car in the garage or if like at my house your driveway sits along side the house the sound bounces off and makes it sound louder than it really is. As soon as I back up past the edge of my home the car instantly sounds quieter. One thing that I have noticed is that as wonderful as the 2GR engine it is not as quiet by design as the Toyota 3.0/3/3 engines. One possible reason is that those engines use a timing belt rather than a chain. My '03 Avalon was quieter at idle than my '06. However, with the exception of the seats the '06 is better in every way.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• mdealmdeal Posts: 2
    Have same problem w/ 2000 Avalon.Last year after lights came on my wife took it to local mechanic who replaced the battery.Worked fine until yesterday when
    the check engine & vsc lights came back on.Any suggestions?
  • mashoudmashoud Posts: 8
    See posting #256. The rear vacuum switch needs replacing. I have posted the exact diagnosis etc. and work done as on repair invoice.
  • jim3jim3 Posts: 19
    I had my 2000 Avalon in for service recently and the mechanic said with a car this old, and with 180,000 miles, he would not use gasohol in it. I have always used the cheapest gas around since the car was new and have never had a problem. The car has been very trouble free and I'd like to keep it that way, but these gas prices are killing me. What is the story about gasohol in an engine this old? He left before I had a chance to ask him. Incidentally most of my miles are highway miles as I live in the country.
    Your owner's manual should tell you about Toyota's recommendations. In general, a mixture of no more than 10% ethanol should be okay. You could try it and see how the car behaves. You may end up with worse gas mileage and so end up saving nothing.

• amauhryamauhry Posts: 55
    The 2GR-FE engine in late model Avalons is designed to digest the 10% Ethanol in the mix and still be fuel efficient. If your engine is, try to keep the blend within the 10% bracket; otherwise, you will be altering the stoichiometric mixture of the fuel. Keep in mind that gasohol contains additional oxygen. This “extra” oxygen will fool the oxygen sensors into thinking that the combustion mixture is lean; in response, the ECU will keep your fuel injectors opened a bit longer to compensate for the “unbalanced” air-fuel ratio hence a rich mixture and a less fuel-efficient engine. All of the above would happen if your engine is not designed to handle the extra oxygen in E10 or if you go beyond the 10% allowance in any ECU-controlled engine.

Amaury
    '08 Limited
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Posts: 154
    Hi guys... got a question for you. I was driving down the interstate today with my cruise set on 70 mph. I just happened to glance over at the tach and noticed it was showing about 2100 rpm's at 70 mph. Just wondering if that anyone else has ever paid attention to that or if 2100 rpms at that speed was kind of high. Just curious.

Roland
  • That's what mine is at that speed which really isn't that fast. I used to have a Taurus that showed 3000 at 80mph
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    2100 @ 70 is dead on.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    big ole torquey (and relatively fuel inefficient) V8s will generally pull something less than 2000 rpm at 70 - maybe 1700 or 1800. They can do this because of all that torque available at those lower engine speeds. The Toyota 2GR OTH is a free revving smaller V6 that is actually happier (from an operational efficiency point of view) at engine speeds significantly more than that - what is remarkable about the engine is that the CVVTi valve timing and ignition control systems that are built into the engine can effectively broaden that torque curve to rival that of a V8 in terms of lower engine speed torque availabilities so that the Avalon can be the same 'pleasant' highway car as those V8s and still be able to return FE in the 30s. The 2GR is easily the best part of the Avalon and a remarkable achievement for Toyota.
  • amauhryamauhry Posts: 55
    These are my observations (confirmed) while driving on flat surface and no passenger/cargo loads

60 mph = 1600 rpm
    65 mph = 1900 rpm
    70 mph = 2100 rpm
    75 mph = 2200 rpm

Amaury
    '08 Limited
  • I am reassembling a 97 avalon v6 engine and am using a Haynes repair manual. When installing the cams it says on the Right-Rear head to align the 2 dots of each rear cam gear so that they point together. For the Front-Left head they say to align 1 dot of each rear cam gear together. The 1 dot is 180 degrees apart from the 2 dots.

When I do as they say the rear-right head appears to have the pointer on its timing belt cam gear aligned 180 cam degrees out. When everything else says TDC, this cam gear is 180 Cam degrees out. The intake valves are in a position to begin opening.

If I set the rear cam gears so that only 1 dot is pointing at each other, then the timing belt gear for this head and all the valve are in the TDC position.

Is my logic correct and the manual wrong? If not why?

Thanks,

Terry in Colorado
  • Terry,
    Did you get your car back together? If so what was your outcome with the gears. I am doing the same thing an 02 Camry and have the exact same issue with the right bank timing gears. I am going to try and finish it today and have put it together with both heads using the one dot mark. Regardless of what the Toyota experts have told me, It has to be right or the front timing gear would have to go in 180 degrees off. I don't think there is a lot of DIY's out there changing head gaskets etc that are having to remove the cams. If you were changing the belt only you wouldn't be able to even see the gears so you wouldn't know if they are right or not and would only use your camshaft belt gear marks to do the job. I will post a follow up to this hopefully tonight if I get it done and will let you know. My email is: hunter@ctcn.net if you want to send me a direct response.