Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon Engine Questions

Comments

• sparkle99sparkle99 Posts: 1
    My 98 Avalon is acting the same way.IT recently has had new timing belt ,new spark plugs and wires, new water pump and new crank sensor.I am now thinking my mechanic is guessing as to what the problem is.It has 180,000 thousand miles and I bought it new.I have already spent $1000 in repairs and wonder where it will end.I would like to keep the car a few more years.It misses after high speed driving and then when I drop the speed to exit the interstate the rough idle starts.After it sits awhile it is okay but does happen again under the same circumstances.If you find an answer ,let me know.
  • abfischabfisch Posts: 591
    Mohandus:

The bushing will NOT relieve any play in the steering linkages. This is a separate part and issue. If they are bad, have them replaced with OEM Toyota parts. The sway bar PU bushings are another matter, and do not allow as much deflection, thereby leveling the car around turns, but also firming up the ride a little.

abfisch
  • mikes.mikes. Posts: 335
    "Occasionally, my 1998 Avalon run very rough, both high speed and idle. I can turn the car off for ten minutes and restart he car and the problem is gone.
    Suggestions? "

Yes, the MAF sensor probably needs a good cleaning. Do a search in this forum for more info on the MAF.

Sparkle99, this goes for you too.

MikeS.
  • abfischabfisch Posts: 591
    Good advice fin. I agree, there is something wrong, although a history on the car would helped, such as radiator changes, waterpump changes, etc.

abfisch
  • Mikes,
    my 1998 Avalon does the same thing, unless of course I take it in when no one can find anything wrong. According to the diagnostic equipment, all sensros test fine, including the MAF. Any recommendations on how to clean; my mechanic said all they can do is clean it with pressurized air.
    I appreciate any suggestions.
  • ENGINE LIGHT GOES ON INTERMITTENTLY. TOOK TO REPAIR SHOP AND DIAGNOSTIC TESTING REVEALS THAT THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE SOLENOID AND THE WAY TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM IS TO REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION WHERE THIS SOLENOID IS LOCATED. SOUNDS LIKE OVERKILL TO ME, ANY SUGGESTIONS. THE CAR IS A 1997 WITH 130,000 MILES ON IT. THANKS!
  • My 95 Avalon engine light recently came on. By using an instrument from the auto part store it gave me only one code P0170 Fuel Trim Malfunction (bank 1). the parts store clerk couldn't give me any further information about what this code refers to or how to service it. Any help? Glen
  • My 2000 Avalon 80k is leaking oil from the oil pan. They tell me their is 2 oils pans one that runs the bottom of the engine, and a 2nd where the drain plug is..
    The leak is the larger pan where it bolts to the motor. Question is Have you heard this 2 oils pan story is it true just curious. Could it be a larger problem?

Thanks in advance
  • i got this check engine on the dashboard, i send to the dealer for diagnosis it was the O2 sensor circuit malfunction, air intake temperature sensor circuit malfunction, mass air flow meter sensor circuit malfunction & evaporation vent sensor circuit malfunction, and also this whining sound when the rpm is around 1000 rpm-1200 rpm but if the car accelerates more than this rpm the whining sound is gone, can u please give advice ...
  • cdelcdel Posts: 1
    Would like to know if you had a fix on this problem i have the same car with the same issue
  • ghickghick Posts: 1
    After 3 trips to Dealer, now they mysterious found "another" engine code. The first code was P0446. To fix they replaced the vsv switch for $130), the 2nd trip (light still on) they said it was NOW the charcoal cannister,,,another $440. The tech told me to drive it a while as the gasoline "might" evaporate,,,,it didn't so I took it back, so now the 3rd trip. This time they discovered a faulty gas cap, inner part was busted. This was the problem all along (I think) as this code (P0446) no longer appears, but low and behold up pops another code during the 3rd trip: P1135, Fuel air Metering. Manufacture Control: Pedal position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent. Can anyone tell me about this code. My thinking is that the tech is covering for the previous two goofs, and may have even done "something" to set this code, or loosened something. Yes, I'm getting a phobia now! Is the P1135 code something I can buy from the dealer and install myself? The car appears to drive fine. Note, I do not have an extended warrantee, and I do like the car and plan on keeping it. Any words of advice would be appreciated!!!
  • I had the oil changed in my 2005 Toyota Avalon and the dealer did not properly reinstall the oil plug. Because of their mistake the car stopped running and left me in the middle of a major intersection. I then had it towed back to the dealership where they put a new plug in it filled the oil up and told me to go on my way. The dealer says that there is no damage to my car because it is specially equipped with a safety feature that stops the engine when it senses there is no oil. I am worried that there will be damage/problems that could come up in the future.

My questions are:
    1) Is there really a safety feature like that in the car? 2) Can there be damage to my car that could go undetected now but surface later?
    3) If it was your car what would you do?

Ellen
  • jdre86jdre86 Posts: 30
    1. Sorry I have no clue (you never know...its 2006)

2. I don't think so. Did the engine just turn off like you had switched the ignition off or did it lose power, sputter, etc. and eventually die? When an engine runs dry of oil, you just don't put oil in it and go on your merry way. So maybe there is some device that prevents such a thing from happening. And you still have a while before your warranty runs out, so don't lose any sleep over it. Also, do you notice anything different about the way it drives?
    3. Make sure the "important" people like the owner of the dealership and Toyota know of the incident in case of future repercussions.
  • coop3coop3 Posts: 3
    We are having continuing problems...we had computer problems, took to an independent mechanic...they found a dime in the cigarette lighter! We have never used our cigarette lighter, no smokers in this family! Have NO IDEA how this dime got there! When mechanic took out, all the lights went out on dash (VSC, VSC OFF, ABS), said problem was fixed! (Don't believe it!) Now, there is a ticking in engine...after engine turned off! If I put my key into ignition, the clicking stops. Maybe in 3 or 3 hours, the clicking starts again. We put the key in, it stops. Anyone experience these problems???????
  • I have a 2005 Avalon LTD and at 5,000 miles the check engine light came on. The computer scan came up with the code P0138 indicating a fault in the "O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2)". After four trips to the local Toyota delearship and three different changes of these sensors the solution finally came with changing the "Air Fuel Ratio Sensor Banks one and two". The delearship in the end apologized stating that Toyota just released a bulletin indicating this was the solution to this new problem with 05 Avalons. Indeed when my vehicle was making a home at the delearship another 05 Avalon LTD was in for the same reason. In the end it took 5 weeks to fix the problem. I post this note to advise other Avalon owners of this problem and I am also curious if other owners are having the same problem. I am still suspicious the delearship made up the story and the "new bulletin". I did buy my own scanner to check the faulty code and it did indicate P0138. The check engine light has remained off for one week now and the P0138 code no longer appears on my scanner. However my Innova 3030 scanner continues to warn there may be a possible problem of a "pending" DTC or the vehicle's "Evaporative System Monitor" has not run a complete diagnostic test. This warning persists despite driving the car daily for over a week now. I would appreciate any comments and I thank all in advance of your replies.

DNC
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    just had the occasion to take my early '05 to the dealer for a relatively minor (but bothersome) oil leak. Must be happening often enough that the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) #EG065-05 was issued 12-23-05 - it reads as follows:
    Some 2005 model year Avalon vehicles may experience a small/slow oil drip from the bank 1 VVTi oil supply line on the front of the engine. The oil pipe has been improved to prevent this condition.
    Bank 1 is the firewall side of the engine, and the tubes they are talking about move oil from the cylinder heads.The fix involves a timing gear cover, some gaskets, and the oil pipe subassembly.
    The TSB also notes this problem is covered by the 60k mile powertrain warranty.
    If you have an early Av you might want to check with Calif. and find out if your will need the repair
  • I have 146,000 miles on my Avalon and the ECU is bad. I've replaced the knock sensors and testing indicates it's the ECU. I am not sure I want to spend the $1,200 plus to replace with a new ECU. I would like to keep the car as long as it will run.

I spoke with Toyota tech depart. and they indicated I could save a lot of money by using a salvaged ECU. (last resort)

Can anyone tell me what would be involved in replacing the bad ECU with a used ECU?

Do I have to stick with the same model year or can a newer/older ECU be used. (searched the net found a ECU from a 2001 XLS)

Any info would be a great help and thanks in advance.

Alex1015
  • I JUST BOUGHT A 95 TOYOTA AVALON TODAY FOR MY DAUGHTER. IT HAS 112,00 MILES ON IT. THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON. I DIDN'T NOTICE IT DURING THE TEST DRIVE. MY HUSBAND NOTICED IT WHEN WE GOT HOME (23 MILES) LATER. DOES THE LIGHT AUTOMATICALLY COME ON AFTER SO MANY MILES? I DIDN'T GET THE MANUAL WITH THE CAR SO I CAN'T LOOK IT UP. THIS CAR DRIVES GREAT. PLEASE HELP!
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 586
    You will get several answers but the light indicates that the onboard sensors think there is some problem, most likely with the emissions controls. It does not come on due to mileage and should be off under normal conditions. Others will have more ideas and suggestions...
  • master1master1 Posts: 340
    That is self-explanatory. It means you need to have the engine checked.