Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon Climate Control Questions

Comments

• abfisch, I do not believe the oil is from an engine leak. As I mentioned before, there is a relay in the engine fuse box. I am not sure how to trouble-shoot this one. I would rather not start replacing parts at random. I am not ready to take it to the dealer yet. It has to be blower motor, relay, or the control switch, but which one or ones? Thanks.
  • nomad56nomad56 Posts: 134
    db-This can be a relay, or the control panel. 1)I am assuming you are pressing the four different fan speed buttons????? 2)Press "AUTO" and bring the temp all the way up(the car MUST be warmed up!!!), or ALL the way down. The system should kick into the HI speed after a couple seconds. If NOT, this is leading us to relays. To troubleshoot it yourself, remove the A/C control panel and "jump" the connectors to test the 4 speed settings. Each is its own circuit and set of relays. You should know a little about the plug/pin config before doing this. Assuming you do, "Jump" the following positions, per '96 model svc manual, and speeds: A1 with A15=LO: A1 with A13=Med 1: A1 with A12=Med 2: A1 with A9=HI. If each yields the correct speed, it IS probably the control panel. Let me know if any Q's -nomad56-
  • Nomad56, Sounds Like a reasonable process. I will give it a go and let you know what happens. One other question, did you notice my earlier post concerning the oil residue immediately under the blower motor which was collecting on the plastic panel cover. What do you think is responsible for this oil? It is a very small quantity but it also was on the wire harness. How much of the dash do you remove to remove the A/C control panel? Thanks very much nomad56 for your assistance. Danbeth
    db-A/C control panel is easy. Pull the trim around the stereo-one piece. Then you'll be able to remove the screws that hold it in place. It has two large plugs that connect all of the controls. These plugs house the pins that you will "jump". The oil??? IF you clean it up and look back a few days later, is there more??? If what you are seeing has collected over 5 years, I suspect it is simply run-off from the blower assembly's moving parts that were lubricated when assembled, NOT a leak. -nomad56-
  • Hi nomad56, Where in the engine compartment is the blower motor relay located? How do you identify it, by part number or can you describe it? I checked the two fuse boxes on the drivers side of the engine compartment. I could not see the difference between the other relays. How is it marked? The control panel checked out OK. thanks. danbeth
    db-There are several relays. Engine compartment has TWO. The Fan #2(5 pins) and #3(4 pins) relays. My Toyo/Lexus buddy said the "Fan #3" relay is the most likely candidate. These are in a strip with an empty position and one other relay. Located close to the front left strut tower.

There are several more, but start here. I am not sure I could come up with all of 'em without my svc manual???? I'll be home after Thanksgiving, if you you need more specific info. -nomad56-
  • nomad56, Can you check your service manual and see if you can locate the blower motor linear controller. This part replaces the blower resistor on automatic climate control systems. See if it can be tested and replaced by a diys. I contacted Pat Goss(Motorweek) and he suggested this part as a source of the problem. Thanks Dan
  • Hi nomad56, Thanks for the followup. I found an interesting link after you mentioned the A/C amplifier in your last post. Check this link: www.e-toolbox.com/ads/index.cfm and follow the year 1998, make Toyota and model Avalon. Go to technical service bulletin and Heater A/C system improvement. you will have to download the TSB. It talks about the TSB dated Nov.5 1999 and the title Auto A/C system improvement for a 1998 Avalon. It outlines the A/C amplifier, Servo motor, and Servo-link/damper replacement. It also shows a brief repair page. Do you have more detail in your service manual to replace these parts. If so, maybe you can send them to me by fax or mail. I would really like to solve this problem if you know what I mean. Take a look and give me your opinion since all the other options have checked out Ok. thanks Dan
    danbeth-I will look at my Svc man. and let ya' know if there's anything useful. ...give me a day or so to check it out(busy sched). -nomad56-
    db-sorry for the delay, been real busy. YES! the svc manual outlines procedures for the items in this svc "bulletin". 1) The A/C amplifier:Remove the stereo. It is, apparantly, mounted on the stereo bracket. 2) A/C blower motor removal, not quite as straight forward... I will gladly e-mail all these pages to ya'. If you can give me a day or two to scan 'em. I hope it's not a mad rush. Unfortunately, I am trying to hit a few deadlines with my work. Meanwhile, e-mail me your info. My e-mail is available to forum members. -nomad56-
  • I have a 1998 Avalon with the same problem described in message #83. The HVAC will run OK for weeks and then all of a sudden it stops working. Sometimes I can turn the engine off for a few minutes and when I restart the engine the system will start working again. I've taken it to my local dealershipp and they say that they're not aware of a service bulletin for this. They said thier diagnosis was to relpace the computer (which I did for about $650) and it seemed to fix it for 3-4 months but now the problem is occuring again. Anyone have any advise?
    rbremer-If the new "computer" died, that's a fluke, and probably WARRANTY" work??? start there.

If the dealer does not give you a definitive diagnoses, you will have to start troubleshooting the system, to isolate the bad component.

What "computer" did the dealer replace? Toyo HVAC is a web of sensors, switches and relays. It often requires some electronic testing equipment and skills. Let us know.
    -nomad56-
  • michanthmichanth Posts: 38
    Dear Townhall,

I have a 1996 Avalon, Runs Great but I have encountered a problem with my fan. Many times the fan will not active by pushing the fan speed button or by the automatic climate control until until I drive the car over a speed bump at 10 mph or less. I know something elec / mech is loose but have no knowledge of where to look first except for the fuse box under the hood which seems to be fine. And it does not seem to matter if the a/c compressor is activated or not. there is no movement by the fan motor until I go over a good bump.

Any suggestions before bringing the car in for A/c fan work,$$$$???

All Help is Appreciated thanks in Advance

Michael
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,647
    Does the fan work when the heater is on?
    Yes, the fan when running will be active with a/c, heater, and defroster etc.. all combinations of the vent selector buttons. heater on or off, compressor on or off.

Thanks Mr_Shiftright HOST May 10, 2004 (4:04 pm)
    Does the fan work when the heater is on?
    Michanth-NOT a guarantee, but it is most likely a bad relay. There are several in the Avy's A/C-heater system. A dealer, or good Toyo mechanic is your best bet... they are difficult to test, without proper equipment. Otherwise, the three you want to look at are behind the radio & a/c control panel. To isolate the bad one, you can "tap" each of them and see if the fan starts to run. If this reveals the bad one, go to a dealer or parts store and order a new one. If you are near a "Pick your own parts" yard, this is a great way to save a few bucks. -nomad56-
    Thanks Nomad,

I will give the relay thing a try, and at the last resort, I can bring the car in to a Toyota Dealership.

Michael
  • pete7pete7 Posts: 2
    Every few days to weeks my climate control system ceases to or starts working for no apparent reason. It has the exact same m.o. each time. The temp. readout does not come on, but the word "outside" stays lit. All of the lights for the fan control and blower position switches light up when you push them with the exception of the windshield defrost and a/c buttons. None of these switches turns anything on, however. The auto button does nothing.

I suspect it is one of the relays but have no way of knowing which of the dozens it might be. Since the symptoms are so specific, does anyone know what might be the cause?
    Pete...it sounds like the recirc air button is depressed, recirculated air will have moisture in it and fog the windshield worse than you can imagine. Therefore, it will not direct the recirc air at the windshield. Hmmm, A/C should work, though???? ..I am not sure about that button's lack of cooperation, but select FRESH AIR and let me know if we're closer. Otherwise it is more involved, and YES, probably a relay, and there's a handful of 'em that effect climate control. -nomad56-
  • pete7pete7 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. It was not the recirc. button though. None of the buttons works when it is out, even though they light up. Any ideas?