Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon Climate Control Questions

Comments

• dbowedbowe Posts: 6
    Am experiencing that my 1996 Avalon XL air conditioner will work great sometimes, but at other times doesn't work at all. I assume that there is a short in the wires or a fan not operating properly. Has anyone else experienced this? Please let me know in detail what the problem was and how you rectified it. I would rather do the work myself than allow the incompetent Toyota mechanics to have a shot at my vehicle!
    I should mention that by saying my ac doesn't work, I mean that it doesn't cool the air. It just blows as thought the compressor is not functioning (I can still turn on the heater.)

Thanks in advance for any input!
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    Sounds like a blown compressor . My 92 Camry blew its compressor in 2001. Prior to that the A/C was working perfectly. I am surprised you don't trust Toyota mechanics since most of them are certified by Toyota. Replacing compressor is quite expensive. If I recall correctly mine cost around $500 including labor. Haven't had any problems since then till I sold the car in August of 2004. Anyway, good luck.
  • mikes.mikes. Posts: 335
    It sounds like a loss of Freon, check the Freon charge.

MikeS.
    I recharged the freon previously and so that wasn't the problem. I ended up having to get sodomized by a Toyota dealer who charged me $400 to change a valve underneath the dash board. Apparently, this valve was sticking. I do not know how he narrowed down the problem, but just wanted to mention my solution in case someone else experiences the same.
  • pcp2pcp2 Posts: 12
    I changed my cabin filter and it is not that hard. As I recall there are two bolts that hold the glove box door hinge in place. Remove these two bolts and the glove box door drops down and you can slide back the box liner. This will let you remove the filter. At first glance at the glove box door it looks like the door could be PULLED down to give access. This might be true but I was afraid to do this because I might break something. Be careful so you don't drop a bolt into the frame when removing. It will be hard to fish out the bolt. This almost happened to me.

Hope this helps.
  • 2beach2beach Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 1998 avalon with about 68K miles. The next week the AC stopped working, controls became inoperable, outside temperature light went blank. AC returned to normal on later starts. Then it would quit again. I researched and found this was in a technical service bulletin from Toyota in Dec. 1999. 3 parts had to be replaced. It was a warranty repair under basic warranty up to 36K miles. That leaves me out. I'm trying to get seller to repair because I required them to guarantee AC. Let me know if anyone has paid to have this done. I want to know what to expect.
  • mikecraigmikecraig Posts: 12
    The AC filter is easy to replace yourself. I think it cost me $15; everything else is labor.

I have pictures of the disassembly that I will send to anyone who wants them. The zip file is just over 1 MB. Contact me off-list at mpcraig@excite.com

My Avalon is a 2000. I suspect they are all the same. Have a look at the pictures and make your own decision.
  • Hi! I have the same problem! What did you do and did it work???
  • dlamkendlamken Posts: 1
    Hi - If you still have any pictures of the cabin air filter replacement procedure, I'd appreciate you sending them to me. I have a 2000 Avalon XLS, and I doubt the filter has ever been replaced.

Also, if you know of the location of the fuel filter, I'd appreciate any help in that area, too.

Thanks - Dave Lamken
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,163
    I have a 2000 Avalon XLS, but I believe the automatic climate control switch isn't working as the blower stays in the lowest setting even when the outside temperature is in the high 80's.

In the manual mode I can switch it to high, low, or medium but in the auto mode it only runs on low. Even on the low setting the interior temperature appears to be cool though. Any ideas, or does that mean spending $80 for a dealership diagnostic?
  • genekrgenekr Posts: 1
    I have the same problem what I do is mis a small amount of liquid lysol with water and pour a small amount into outside air vents

Gene
  • mayomayo Posts: 1
    Without warning, the air conditiioning , blower fans, and o/s temp indicator quit. Have checked all fuses and cannot find relay or fuse related to A/C etc. The service center was no help: Said the fuse/relay was difficult to get to, but probably a servo had gone out. That repair would be very expensive. I felt they were covering up an inherent problem.
    Any suggestions for finding the fuse and home repair? Thanx
  • tobymactobymac Posts: 3
    My ac light occasionally will start to blink, and the ac will quit working. So far it has not done this continuously, but it will do this from time to time. What would be causing this?
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    I don't know for sure, but in my older Toyota's when this occured, it was water shorting out some of the A/C funcions and when it dried out, it cleared up. If it is working ok, I wouldn't worry too much about it, but might be worth having it checked out next time you have it in for service.

Ken
  • johndjrjohndjr Posts: 80
    bwia,

Don't know if this will help you or not.
    i had exactly this problem with my 99 Volvo. It cooled or heated good, the temp control worked fine, but the fan moter would not operate as it had when new. I could manually adjust the fan motor ok.
    The dealers started off going into the computer. The first two times it was 175.00 each and they told me that if this didn't fix it we would have to do soandso. After the second time, they started talking big money on the computer. I traded for a '05 Avalon Limited.
    That cured my problem.
  • norskinorski Posts: 1
    Mike,
    Could you send me a picture showing replacement of the AC filter on the avalon.
    It is a hard to swallow cost for what should be a simple proceedure.
    Thanks
    John
  • Dave,

I don't check the Avalon message borad very often and just saw your request for pictures of the cabin air filter replacement. I'll be happy to send them if you still want them. BUT - You didn't include your e-mail address. Mine is mpcraig(at)excite(dot)com.

Mike Craig
  • mttroutmttrout Posts: 2
    I have a 97 Avalon XLS and the climate control only allows temperature adjustment periodically other than hot or cold. The temperature only changes when the dial is all the way cold or all the way hot. Occassionally, the temperature can be adjusted in between, but most of the time it doesn't work. Any ideas on what might be causing this?
  • abfischabfisch Posts: 591
    mttrout:

Go under the dash, take off the bottom fascia, and see if the cable, should be black or blue covering is moving smoothly or has pulled away from its anchor.

abfisch