Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Owners: Meet the Members

124»

Comments

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,023
    Post your tire question over in the A&A board. Connor most likely has some good suggestions.

Ask Connor at The Tire Rack

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• lipplipp Posts: 58
    Bought a 2005 C240 4matic in December. At 3,000 miles car developed a vibration at 50 mph. Dealer checked brakes, front end, tires. Re-balanced all tires and problem persisted. Dealer then checked the balance of the drive shaft and replaced drive shaft. Yes, replaced drive shaft. Problem disappeared for a month then came back at 40 mph. Problem persists when car is cold. Dealer replaced Michelin tires with Michelin tires - same OEM tire. Problem remains. Replaced flex connection. Problem still exists. Dealer now replacing tires again with Continental. Will pick up today. Wish me luck. Anyone have similar problems or do you know of a solution. Dealer is cooperative but guessing. Is the problem with the tires or is the Lemon Law in my future??? Car has been in shop for 20 days since December 1, 2004.
  • paul_ppaul_p Posts: 271
    I experienced a strange vibration problem in my Y2K C230. Around 12,000 miles, on the highway @ approx. 60 MPH it developed a vibration. I pulled off the highway and stopped the car, then when I started driving again the vibration went away. This happened one more time at about 14,000 miles.

That was over a year ago - the car now has 18,000 miles on it, and it has not happened since. Very strange. Local dealer had no idea what it could be. I have my tires balanced at least every 6,000 miles, so I doubt it was that. I am starting to drive the car again after storing it for the winter (no salt, no way) - so far, so good!

I have to echo the responses of others that it has been my experience that nobody knows these cars better than the Mercedes dealerships - although some have been better than others for me.

- P.
  • valleygvalleyg Posts: 5
    Hello-

New to the board, and I purchased my first MB on Saturday! It is a 2002 C230 K with 58,500 miles. I live in Chicago and am looking forward to summer with my new (pre-owned) car!

VG
  • varun007varun007 Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,
    I recently bought MB C280 SE preowned precertified with 70 k miles and was wondering if you guys can throw some light on how to maintain the vehicle and care that i must take , also if anyone has the same model would like to know the maintance cost for the car .
    Thank you for your time.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,023
    Welcome and congrats on your purchase!

You can check the maintenance schedule for your C here:

Edmunds Maintenance Guide

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• sup3modelsup3model Posts: 2
    Hi , i'm about to get one in 3 days, just want to know how your car is doing, i've read alot of negative comments about this car, the price i'm getting is 17000 for a 02 c230 coupe K.. not sure if i should sell my 2001 acura integra tomorrow...help thanks
  • jobe1jobe1 Posts: 3
    I need some help/advice:

My 2005 C230 Sport Sedan, six speed, has a strange vibration between 20 and 30 mph from the front end. The dealer diagnosed the problem as something in the transmission. They discovered a casting flaw in the transmission housing and decided to replace the entire transmission. This was a two week process due to parts required from Germany.

The new transmission did not solve the problem. I took it back and they proceeded to subsequently diagnose the problem with the following resolution:

Repositioned Exhaust, Repostioned Drive Shaft Carrier Bearing, Removed and Isolated Heat Shields and Sound Insulation Shields. This was another two day process.

The problem persists....again between 20 and 30 MPH. I had the tires checked and balanced etc. If I get up to speed and put the car in neutral and just coast at 20 to 30 mph while not in gear the problem persists....not the tranny I would assume?

Has anyone else had a problem like this? If so, any solution? I would appreciate any help as I love the car and really enjoy driving it. Only 13K miles on it and I had hoped for a lot more than that before moving on my next car.
  • I picked-up a new C230 Sport Sedan w/A/T, Sun-Roof pkg, Ent. Pkg., heated seats, memory seats. The car had 21 miles on the clock when I left the show room. Down hill from there. At 100 miles both front door windows buzz, it is almost as loud as driving my Z4 with the top up. Not worry as I am bring vehicle in for welcome service in three weeks. HK radio and CD changer stop working at 540 mileages. I visit the dealer, no problem, when you do welcome service we will fix (Change head unit) the radio in the meantime they do a temp fix.

1200 miles I bring the car in for welcome service, they fix the radio and order parts to fix the buzz in the windows. This was on last Friday before Labor day weekend. Saturday, the HK radio and CD changer fail again. Yesterday I visit the dealer, two hours later the radio is fixed. This morning no radio. I will visit the dealer this afternoon and see what the next fix is.

To think that I chose the vehicle over a 2006 BMW 330I, my wife was right, I am stupid. :cry:
  • Hello, I've been around the forum. We have a 2004 c240-4Matic and a 2005 C240-4Matic. Both White on the outside 04 - tan on the inside, 05 - Black on the inside.
    The 05 is a big improvement over the 04 in fit and finish but we like both of them. Both have Sunroof package, heated seats, CD and Sirius satellite radio. The satellite radio is outstanding. The 05 has the power seat option, Tele-aid, folding seats and Harmon Kardon upgrade.

But on to my problem, please read below, I need help on the 04 with wheels and tires.

Bob

HELP!

I have a 04 C240 4matic. Currently with 205/55-16 and stock rims. The dealer had the car for a week. Got it back went to have the tires replaced and found out that someone bent a rim which causes a shimmy at 60MPH. So I will replace the rims or upgrade both the tires and rims.

I have found an OE Performance rim that looks like the E class rim. It comes in 16" and 17". Has anyone had any experience with this rim product? It is the OE performance 300M E class.

I will either have the 16" with Michelin Pilot Exalto AS 225/50R - 16

or

17" with Michelin Pilot Exalto AS 225/45R - 17

Anyone got any other ideas? I do not want the car to look too extreme. I would like to stay with the 16" size.

Thanks in advance......
  • My friends call me Beegee and I am new to the MB family (hey that rhymes!). I just picked up a 2006 C230 Sport on 10/13/05 from HBL in Tyson's Corner, VA. A basic car cause I am not a fancy fellow:

Diamond Black metallic (looks blue at times, purple at others - and I have even heard green once)
    black leather (inserts that is)
    Sunroof package
    6 speed manual (I hate automatics with a passion)

That's it. the only thing I am planning to put :) on it is the ipod holder and a roof rack for my bicycle.

Now I have always considered myslef a Bimmer man but ever since Chris Bangle began destroying the look of BMWs, I had to abandon ship. 1200 miles already and I like it. I like it a lot!
  • I just bought a used 2001 C240 with 66,700 miles yesterday, silver with black interior, automatic, sunroof and CD-changer. So far I absolutely love the car, feels much more solid than anything I've ever owned before (new Japanese cars).

My car was a 1-owner car with full service records from Downtown LA Motors Mercedes Benz, and both looks and feels brand-new. With any luck, it will still look and feel as nice after another 5 years and 66,700 miles have rolled under its tires.
  • I just bought new C-320 SS 3 months back and I am also not very happy with it. I have the same buzzing noise from both front doors, its actually the set belt fitting which makes this sound. Crank up the radio and you hear lot more of rattle from other places. I think I just paid too much for this car. Built quality sucks and on my first visit at 1500 miles, nothing has been taken care off. Everything is still the same. Work order reads on most of the places "Could not Duplicate". I am thinking of taking it to a different dealer.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    I replied to your query about the ESP malfunction light in the Problems forum. When I did so, I did not realize you had bought the car from an authorized MB dealer. They should be willing to solve your problem because it came up so quickly after the sale, regardless of its warranty status. Don't wait, though, and if necessary, bump it all the way up to the GM of the dealership.

Your problem should have a ready solution, as it is pretty well known what causes it in this model.
    Make sure your tires are not overinflated. Our seat belt buzzing only happens on crappy surfaces, and usually only when the car is cold. It can be exacerbated by higher tire pressures - check to make sure yours are not overinflated. The correct pressures are on the sticker attached to the inside of the fuel door.
  • My car was not purchased from an MB dealer, but an independant dealer selling used luxury cars of all makes. Ir is no longer under MB warranty.

Strangely, the warning message dissappeared after another day of driving and has not coome back. I have since had a check engine light come on, only to go off as soon as I refueled (three tanks later and no repeat) and a warning for a burned out "front marker lamp" that went away when I shut off and restarted the car.

Guess little electronic bugaboos will be a part of the ownership experience, though the car feels and drives perfect. I've already put 1,100 miles on it and have enjoyed every one of them.

Average so far is 24MPG, I love it!
  • Hi, I´ve had a 2006 C230 for only two weeks and already problems appeared . 1- vibration at iddle in D or in R . 2- ESP malfunction warning came on. :cry: 3 - Speedtronic (cruisecontrol) malfunction warning came on . Do I have just bad luck or has it been a common problem ? I am very disappointed as the car does not have even 200 miles . Please give me answers .
  • I think I may finally have gotten my C240 sorted out. I took to a Mercedes dealer for the first time and had an A-service done. They found a few hoses that were starting to leak and I had those replaced as well, but a thorough inspection found nothing else wrong with the car.

My electrical issues early on were fixed by the seller at an independant shop and have not returned. The only problem remaining is that the rear sunshade doesn't work, and the part is on order by the seller's shop. Hopefully that will be fixed next week.

What I have now is a 2001 C240 in silver that looks and feels like a brand-new car despite the 70,400 miles on the clock. It is an absollutel joy to drive. I did a 10-hour day last week and the car was simply splendid. I was more alert and comfortable after ten hours than I am after three or four in the Mazda that this car replaced.

I think I'm hooked.
    Yeah, even our older S-Class MBs were not superior to our '02 C240 for long-distance comfort. We ran 4000 miles after Labor Day in about two weeks, and never had anything but a good day with this car. It's what they do....
  • hi..aruna..i am vijay, buying my first c320 from my uncle..it is only 22k miles, 2002, quick question very well maintained..should i buy a extended warranty..
    please let me know
    vijay from nj
  • Hello,
    I bought my 2000, C280 Sports this year and now the factory fitted 6 disc changer is not working. The player is not recognizing the magazine. Anyone have had same issue. Please guide.
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108
    I've been an Edmunds member for about 2 years, but just picked up a 2001 C240. I love the car and all those little comfort and luxury features that make Benz a Benz.

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

• Hello all - I am not currently a MB owner however my wife and I are considering purchasing a C230 Sport with the following options:

275 - Power driver seat & steering column w/ memory
    324 - Sunroof package
    427 - 7-speed driver adaptive automatic tranny
    293 - rear side impact air bags

I have read mixed reactions about the C230 between different forums, kbb.com, edmunds.com and consumer reports. I would like to see if anyone wouldn't mind providing a little additional insight on these cars. What do you like, don't like, mechanical issues, non-issues, etc.

Thanks for the help!
    What car do you currently drive?

• I have the car that I have had since college - '00 Neon. I got my wife a Trailblazer in June, which with the exception of my Neon, will be my 3 GM vehicle. My family however has had GM for last 20 years. The Neon will be sold or traded, haven't decided which yet. Anything from this car is a step up - however I am torn between the C230, IS250 and Acura TL. I really like the drive of C230 - both comfort and ride.
    I drive a 2001 C240. I haven't driven the C230 but have a feeling it will be similar in performance (C230 is a 2.5L V6, C240 is a 2.6L V6). Unless you're talking about the C230 Kompressor which has a 1.8L inline 4 Supercharged.

I love the way my car handles, as well as it's high speed stability. Everything about it feels solid. I love the small convenience touches like the trip computer, mileage estimator, the feature that heats your car after you turn it off and leave it, the heated/ventilated centre console. I don't think the others have these features.

Don't forget the IS250 has just been redesigned, where as the TL will be changed within a couple of years, and the MB C class will be all new for 2007.

Good luck in your purchase.

• Thank you for your thoughts as they ahve been extremely helpful. I am most likely going to be purchasing the MB as you just can't beat Mercedes on quality and luxury.
  • have you ever had any issues with harsh down shifts? I have been having issues on my 03c230k for a while now it shifts really hard from 2nd to first sometimes
  • hdoolabhhdoolabh Posts: 3
    Originally owened a Lexus Rx300 which gave me problem after problem and the service cost was way over board, so I traded it in for a C240 2004 and ran it till a month ago when I traded it for an 07 C230 Sport.

Having owened a Lexus and a Mercedes I now believe that the Mercedes is by far a superior vehicle. Both my C classes run smoother and look slicker.

Proud to be a Mercedes owner. I am hoping to swap my C230 out in 09 for a C300/350. This should give the Benz people enough time to iron out any minor faults.
124»
This discussion has been closed.