Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon Audio Questions

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Glad it worked out!

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• I have had my 2005 Avy Touring for less than a week - and love it! I stumbled upon it when I went to test drive a camry hybrid. Very happy with my decision - certified and only 12,000 miles - over $11k under sticker. The stereo was the standard model - not satellite and not JBL. Went to Circuit City - added an XM receiver, a 300 watt kicker amp, and MTX single vented sub, and it sounds great! Very clean bass with no vibration. Very pleased. Although the standard audio system is not the "JBL" - it does have 9 speakers with decent high end from the tweeters - so adding the sub does a great job in adding the extra umph to the music. It cost me $862 for all of this and I would say it was worth it to get XM and a much better sound - especially from cd's. I highly recommend Circuit City - it's simple and fast - and they did a great job installing and explaining the equipment to me. :)
  • I have a 2007 Avi without Navi. Great car but the JBL radio sucks. No XM, no Bluetooth, and it will not read MP3 discs.

Will the 2008 JBL work in the 07? I understand it is an much improved radio.

Any suggestions for the best conversion options?

Thanks,
    Marty
  • I am attempting to install a sub and amp on my 2001 toyota avalon xls. However I cannot find outu which color wires i need to tap into to install the converter. I need to know the following:
    rear right +
    rear right -
    rear left +
    rear left -

if anyone has any information about this please help me out, thank you!
  • About 2 weeks ago my audio system failed. It wasn't a fuse. 1 week later my car wouldn't start and it turned out I needed a new alternator and a new battery. That was done and the audio was working just fine. Yesterday the audio stopped functioning again. Is there a possible connection with the alternator problem? Does anyone have a suggestion before I return to Toyota Service?
  • I have 05 Avalon LTD w/JBL, I have been using the a device made by perpherial for over a year and get text support works great. No problems.
  • I've been looking for an XM Radio package to install in my new Avalon. Evidently something is different about the 2007 and the 2008 models. I talked with the people from TERK and they said the package they advertise as working on the 07 will not work on the 08. Anybody know what the difference is in the two models?
  • dnmanndnmann Posts: 8
    I just bought a 2008 Limited with nav and just about every other time I start the car the sound will not work, radio or cd. The buttons all light up and the cd player shows tracks are playing with elapsed time but no sound from either the steering wheel controls or dash.

Any suggestions on what this could be or how it needs to be addressed before I take it in. I don't think I want the dealer to be ripping out the dash for a loose wire on a week old car.
  • Sounds like it could well be a connection issue between the radio & amp. Since you are under warranty, my suggestion is to let Toyota address it rather than wiggle something to get it working just to have the problem resurface after the warranty expires.
  • I have a 1999 Toyota Avalon with a factory installed stereo that includes a CD Player. I wanna play ipod using auxiliary input. how should i do that?
  • Are you losing the ability to adjust the volume? My 2007 Toyota Avalon does this once in a while. Turning the car off and then back on seems to fix it, but I would like a permanent solution. The dealer is unable to do anything since I can not replicate the problem. Interested to see if you are having a similar problem.
  • I have a 1997 Avalon XLS, im curretnly 16 years old and every teen wants a nice stero system, but mine is just flat out bad. Is it because it is old or something wrong with it? My bass is the thing that sounds bad, it sounds like it is farting. Is this normal for old avalons?
  • dnmanndnmann Posts: 8
    My volume control works but the level seems to reset to the lowest setting every time that it comes on after warming up. It is also taking longer and longer to get sound when it does come on. Almost a minute now.

I am a CPA and as soon as the season is over, I will take it in.
  • I have the exact same car and wondered the exact same thing. it's worse in the front speakers, the drivers side one sounds like it is blown and the right side one, the bass buzzes really bad. the back speakers aren't as bad, but the bass does buzz on the right side. it's so annoying. we had this problem several years back and we took it in but they couldn't find out what was wrong with it. it went away fro some reason but now it is back and i dont know if i should replace the speakers or if it can be fixed. can speakers just wear out and quit working?
  • Start by pressing all of the panels around the speakers. If the problem goes away, you likely have a panel buzzing. If you can't get rid of the buzz no matter where you press, you likely have blown a speaker.

Speakers should only blow if you play it loud, however remember that 99% of stock speakers are paper garbage so it wouldn't surprise me if they just deteriorated over time.

One thing for sure, factory replacements will cost WAY more than they are worth. If you want decent sound with more reliable equipment, visit your local stereo shop or Circuit City/Best Buy. However, if your Avalon has stuff integrated through the radio (like the display & A/C in the latest model Avalons) then you are looking at extra labor to relocate the factory radio to the trunk to keep those other systems functioning.

One final warning: If you do go to decent after-market equipment, you will never be happy with stock sound again, so budget accordingly when you buy your next car.
  • mailalanmailalan Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to access and remove the JBL tweeters mounted on the dash in a 2004 Avalon? I have removal instructions for every other stereo component but the dash tweeters are not mentioned. Anyone have experience with these?

Thanks!
    Alan
  • chilin12chilin12 Posts: 9
    I have a 2006 Avalon with 28K miles. Since new, I noticed that when the CD is playing the track will not go in order (meaning 2 after 1 and so on). I also noticed recently that some CD's not play the whole amount of tracks. I don't have a JBL radio system liek I used to have on my ols 2000 Avy. The car still under manufacturer warranty and my question to you guys is:
    1) Is that something dealers are capable to fix or do I have to go to one of those audio gurus like Best buy or others?
    2) Is my problem a common one in Avy's not JBL's audio system?
    I would like to know your experience in yours.
    Obafunque
    Is the "random" function on?

• I have a 2000 XLS with the JBL 6 Cd changer system that quit working 2-3 years ago. It had 5 Cd's in it for the 2-3 years. We would periodically punch the CD player buttons in hopes of a miraculous self cure. Recently the ignition switch tumbler quit working, so we took it to the dealer to get the ignition fixed, and timing belt replaced. I was told that part of the ignition repair was the installation of a new computer box, (total ignition bill was $600.00). A few weeks after the repairs we again tried the CD buttons, and a miracle did happen, the dumb thing works wonderful now, doesn't miss a lick.
    Thanks for your reply. How and where can I check the "random" function of this radio?
    Obafunque
  • I have owned a new 09 Avalon LTD for just two weeks and today we went on a short trip. We were listening to cds on the excellent sound system. Two CDs that i know are ok (we listen to them in the other car and at home) skipped in a couple places.
    Anyone else had this problem? Should we take it back to the dealer?
    Same is happening to me on my '06 Avalon. Somebody suggested me to check the random function of the system if is in the "on" position but I haven't be able to find where to check. Let us know the results of your finding.
    Chilin 12
  • rscofieldrscofield Posts: 6
    We just got a new 09 Avalon XLS with Nav for my wife. It does have the Aux jack in one of the compartnents and I can play my IPOD using a charger. I would like to add a dedicated adapter that charges. I did this in my 03 Tundra and it works nicely. My question is - do I have to remove the head unit to connect the adapter to the Sat jack? Do not really want to start mucking around with her new car or I may get shot!
    Thks,
    Russ
  • gstern94gstern94 Posts: 9
    Hi,

Can you tell me what if any text is displayed on the Avalon's info screen when using this device? Will you be able to see track or artist name? Thanks so much.
  • gstern94gstern94 Posts: 9
    Hi, can you give me an example of the text support you get? Artist/Podcast/Track etc.. are they visible in some fashion?
    The model I had installed offered no text support at all. The newer models may, as mine was installed in late 2006.

• I have a 98 Avalon equipped with the 3CD L4210 changer which is showing ERROR 1 and does not play neither commercial nor recorded at home CDs. I have noticed several owners have had similar problems with this unit, but no answers were found.
    I have already run the head cleaner to no avail.

2 questions:
    a) Is this a correctable problem, or there is a need to replace the whole audio system?
    b) Which manual describes the receiver/CD changer removal?

Thanks
    Alberto
    Way back in 2000 when I had my Solara with CD changer "error 1" caused the dealer to replace the unit. It was under warranty, however in your case with an 11 year old car I would start looking at aftermarket. Check out Crutchfield.com they show you all the options for your car and provide instructions and install kits.

• kjo2kjo2 Posts: 1
    2007 Avalon, screen shows as if it playing, but I get no sound out of any function. It will not load or eject any CD either. Changed the fuse. Anybody with any ideas? Anyone know where the wiring is from the radio to the speakers?
  • cwilliams56cwilliams56 Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    I also have a 2000 Avalon XLS, JBL 6 disc, in dash. I have 1 cd stuck in there and have tried everything I know to get it out....no luck. When I push the load button, it now tells me it's FULL and it almost sounds like it's off a "cog" or something when I try to make it change discs, both forward and backward. any suggestions???

and how the heck would I go about getting the CD player OUT of my dash???