Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon (Prior to 2005) Transmission Questions

124»

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    edited January 2011
    Why do you consider the use of the parking brake only a temporary fix..?

Using the shift lever park position only locks the driveline, therefore only locking the drive wheel with the most traction. Put one drive wheel on a slippery surface, ice, and the open diff'l will undoubtedly do it's thing, allowing the tractionless tire to roll, FREELY roll, backwards to the direction of motion, DOWN the incline.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Not that I am disagreeing with your statements, but how many people you know actually use a parking brake with an automatic transmission unless they are parked on fairly steep incline?

If the OP's car used to stay put in park and now it doesn't something needs repair.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

Personally If I couldn't somehow fix it myself I wouldn't spend the money to have it fixed, just use the e-brake.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    That would be my choice as well, especially on an older car.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• A recipe for disaster. If another person drives the vehicle (or the owner forgets) and uses the non-working transmission "park", the vehicle is basically left in neutral to roll wherever.

As tjc78 says, most folks do not use the e-brake to park.

I would consider a vehicle with a non-working transmission park position to be a safety hazard with possible liability.
    You've never heard of PLACARDING the dashboard..?
  • My Avalon dashboard doesn't have a PLACARD holder.
    Gorilla Glue....
  • jothevirgojothevirgo Posts: 1
    my daughter bought a 1995 avalon xls in sac cali. they test drove it for a little while and found no problem. the time they spent driving it from sac did not have any problem until they get to daly city cali which is about in between 130 to 150 miles away, started jerking and stopped running. engine runs well but i smell like burning oil or fluid by the tranny. it will drive after 5 mins of rest (i turn the engine off and start it again after 5 mins then drive but starts to jerk especially uphill). did these things happen to anyone here? by the way the car has 223000 miles in it. is it a transmission issue or what? checked the fluid and theres like near cold level in dip stick.
124»