Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon Interior

Comments

• junepugjunepug Posts: 161
    Anyone know of a good place to purchase the all weather floor mat for a 2001 Avalon XLS??
  • I bought a very nice set of mats at WalMart. I think I paid 19 buck for them. As I recall that was for the front only.
  • kicker9kicker9 Posts: 56
    I purchased mine for my 03 online at weathertech.com I think they were about 100.00 plus shipping, very heavy duty and easy to clean
  • Weathertech mats are excellent, and do a great job of catching slush, mud, sand, etc.. However, if you store them for any period of time, do not fold them. Mine developed a perfect crack and split in two when I took them down off the shelf for the next winter season.
  • cove148cove148 Posts: 117
    The Gulf states master distributor(5 southern states) options on the new Avalon was quoted for $1800.00. Of the crap on the list I am interested in options in the package that cost about $385 at MSRP. Any suggestions on ways to deal with this, other than buying out of state from a dealer who doesn't fall under the umbrella?
  • abfischabfisch Posts: 591
    Cove148:

This may not give you alot of comfort, but way back in 2001/2002, I was at a similar dilemma. I did not want the package but wanted similar items in the package, but could not order "a la carte".

I wound up buying the XL instead of the XLS, and while frustrating getting the options that I wanted put on for 1.5 years, I have a car that I like very much, and is not available on the North American market. If you are handy and patient, you can outfit the lower priced model your way.

I did with upgraded PIAA bulbs, XM Delphi stereo, PIAA fog and driving lights, 2 sets, both separate relays, Tokico HP struts, Energy Suspension PU bushing changes, a manual compass believe it or not, a Canadian Bug/Stone deflector, I changed the horn cause I could not stand the little bitty horn they used (probably off all the other models), added the splash guards myself, Weathertech mats, etc.

You get the picture. It cost around the same as a XLS, about 4-5K and that is on the high side, maybe a little less. I forgot the trailer hitch and the wiring. And, for the XM question, the delphi antenna on mine looks like a little mouse. We ran it down the right rear window rain channel, then under the truck seal, and then under the truck plastic and inner fascia through the rest of the car under the interior panels. Took some doing but came out very good. Seal it up with chaulking.

Good luck.

abfisch
  • Ask your dealer if he has any cars coming in that have not made the "port" yet. The dealer i bought my 05 limited from put a note on the invoice(or whatever paper work there is) not to add the unwanted options (toyoguard $699) etc.
  • 2003 XLS w/14k Miles
    Developed a strange "squeak", not really a rattle, somewhere around the computer display panel (where the GPS option would go, but I don't have it). Not very loud, but I can hear it on almost every bump I hit. It's really annoying, especially for a car costing >$30k. Since the airbag equipment is behind the dash, I'm hesitant about taking the dash apart to try to locate it. Also, I can only hear it on a bump while driving, so it would be difficult to find standing still. I also have a '91 Cressida with >150k miles that's still has no squeaks or rattles, but that car was still made IN Japan. Any other owners have a similar noises in their Avalons.
  • mikes.mikes. Posts: 335
    I've gotten leather for the first time in a car. What do I need to do to maintain it?

MikeS.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,011
    While you're waiting for an Avalon owner to reply, try entering "leather" in the keyword search to your left. There is one current discussion about maintaining leather uphosltery, but also quite a few archived topics that may be helpful.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• mikes.mikes. Posts: 335
    Thanks Karen!
  • lntlnt Posts: 189
    I had a 2000 Avalon that had that squeak or creaking noise in the middle part of the dash. I annoyed the heck out of my service advisor by taking it back every month or so for the first 2 years of its life. They could never find it. Finally they pulled the whole dash out and the dash had a crack right down the middle! So, they put in a whole new dash. Problem fixed!
  • kicker9kicker9 Posts: 56
    I also had a dash squeak/rattle around the radio area, I pulled (hard) out the double vent section above the stereo and added extra foam around the vent part that inserts into the air duct (it's easy to see what I mean when you pull it out), be sure to disconnect the wiring harness and put some tape on the blade of a flat screwdriver to pull out the vents.
  • davef2davef2 Posts: 2
    on my 3rd avalon and have never got a answer on how to clean avalon leather seats
  • lutgenlutgen Posts: 1
    i have a 2002 XLS with a "tic-tic" in the same dash area you described when driving over bumps or irregularities in the road. mentioned it to the dealer who "could not reproduce at this time" -- probably because the car had been in the heated work area prior to test drive (the sound is worse when the temperature is below 50 degrees. as you said, for a car costing 30K+ it is disappointing. i'm reluctant to have anybody tear the dash out in search of the noise for fear of creating other problems. i owned Hondas prior. May own them once again.
  • bakeroidbakeroid Posts: 39
    cove148,

I live in west/central Florida and recently bought an '05 Limited from the Sales Manager at the Toyota dealer in Ames, Iowa. He gave me a great price, with absolutely no port of entry add-ons, no dealer add-ons, no dealer prep charges, or any other "smoke and mirrors" charges. We dealt strictly from the true Factory Invoice. The dealer also delivered my car to Florida and picked up my '03 XL trade-in at no cost.(gave me $500 over KBB) He sends a truck from Ames to Florida every two weeks to pick up used Caddies and Lincolns for the Midwest market (big supply here, big market there). Painless, big money saving transaction.

Bakeroid
  • callahan2callahan2 Posts: 2
    I actually borrowed my Uncle's 98' Toyota Avalon for the last couple of months. 1st off - What a great car!!!!

Now my issue. I'm not sure if it was always like this or this just happened. At night when I turn the headlights on, the backlights behind the defrost buttons and other buttons to the left of the radio do not turn on. Are there lights there that should turn on? Right now I can't see the defroster button at all at night and the other buttons around it. I am not sure if its always been like that or if something went out.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, what were your solutions? How easy is it to remove that portion of the dash?

Thanks in advance!!!!

-TC
  • deepandeepan Posts: 342
    there are 4 buttons. fresh air/recircle/defroster/A/C
    these are all backlighted. On mine they intermittently come on. what i do is tap gently on the middle between the buttons (not ON the buttons)and they come up.
  • callahan2callahan2 Posts: 2
    Yes, that's correct. I was too lazy to go out and see what the rest of the buttons were until this morning. I've tried tapping it without luck. Curious to see how complicated it is to get behind them and replace the bulb(s), if they're out.
  • alan_salan_s Posts: 356
    I had the same tapping noise in my 2002. It sounded like it was coming from the dash or possibly the windshield. I eventually discovered that it was actually coming from the windshield wiper motor which is located in a compartment between the internal firewall and the firewall ahead of the engine compartment. To access the motor, remove the windshield wipers, remove the black grill/cover between the windshield and hood, and tighten the bolts that secure the motor's mounting clamp and any other bolts in the area.
    The grill fitted very loosely and was also a possible source for rattling, so I applied some self-adhesive rubber weather-stripping from Home Depot to the underside circumference of the grill where it contacts the body when in place, and I used different retaining clips from Pep Boys to secure the grill firmly in place.
    No more rattles!
    Note that dry leaves trapped in this lower grill area, toward the hood, also cause a rattling sound which sounds like it is coming from the dash, so check there first!
    Hope this helps.
    ">
  • aselvanaselvan Posts: 6
    I hear a rattling noise from the rear side as if some thing is rolling in the trunk.Similar to a train background noise. What could be the cause?.This is a Avalon XLS 2003 certified car bought recently and has 9000 miles on it. This car has factorty warranty till 2006.
  • rnr4nowrnr4now Posts: 1
    We recently test drove a 2005 Avalon Ltd and the leather odor made my wife very nauseous. I also found the odor unpleasant but was not made ill by it. We had experienced this when we investigated Avalons several years ago as well. Has anyone else ever noticed this? If so, how long did it take to go away?
  • I have the same thing in a 1998 Avalon. Any ideas?
  • tobymactobymac Posts: 3
    Has anyone else had a problem with the door handles braking? This is the second door handle that I have had to break on me. The first was my wife's Camry and now her Avalon. They broke while trying to open the door. Why in the world does this keep happening and has this happened to anyone else?
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Posts: 422
    How did it break, ie., did it snap off, get stuck, won't lock/unlock? Need more info! And no, I've never had a door handle break or malfunction other than some moron using a screwdriver on the lock to break into my car.
    zekeman1
    Is this on the new 05 Avalon???? The Camry has the same new door handles, the Mercedes type that pull out and you can get your hand around. Like the design of them better but not if they are going to break.

My 02 has not had a problem. It is probably a inferior part.

abfisch
  • tobymactobymac Posts: 3
    The handle is one of those that you pull up. Both times that I have had one to break, it just snapped off the part that you pull up, under normal opening. You can still open the door, but it takes a little more effort. It just sucks that this is the second one that I have had to break on me. I bet that a new one with installation will not be cheap either, unless one of you guys know where I can order a new one at a reasonable price. TIA
  • trippertripper Posts: 3
    The interior plastic trim that looks like wood-grain on my 1997 Avalon has turned yellow and in some places is loose. Some areas were easily removed. I was able to pop it off and the surface beneath looked like new. Other pieces are impossible to remove. Does anyone have a suggestion of how to remove this trim without having it done professionally (If that's possible)?
    tipper:

This is why I hate all that fake wood or aluminum. Better off getting just genuine high grade premium plastic. Now, take a heat gun, carefully, very carefully without burning you or anything else and heat it up first. Then it should come off.

abfisch
  • trippertripper Posts: 3
    abfisch,

Thanks so much for this suggestion. As I don't have a heat gun, do you know what kind of business I might hire to do this?

Tripper