Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon Interior

Comments

• nomad56nomad56 Posts: 134
    Kick-You didn't say what year, but they ALL pry out-newer models they are self contained, older models they are attached to the radio bezel. Pulling it out away from the dash, as straight as possible. They are held in with those sheet metal clips that wedge into a box shaped hole. A 2" putty knife wrapped in a rag is best for prying it out. However tools are rarely needed. -nomad56-
  • djmdjm Posts: 1
    The light on the right side of my 98 Avalon dashboard is out. (Can't see the MPH or fuel gauge at night.) I pulled the plastic cover and metal pieces below the steering column in hopes of getting access to the bulb from behind and underneath the dash with no luck. Any advice on how/what to remove next in order to get to the bulb would be appreciated.
  • deepandeepan Posts: 342
    yesterday mysteriously the power window on the drivers side front door stopped working. It wasnt cold and i last used the window a day before. I had some rust proofing done including the door about a month back. In the morning it started working again. Is there a overload protection mechanism in the motor and could the rustproofing oil do any damage. Its a 96 avalon xls.
  • Also have 96 Avalon. Starting last year, one or more of the windows sometimes do not work. It is always just one or two, with the others working fine. Just happened to both right side windows a couple of weeks ago. They stop working for no apparent reason and will start working again, sometimes days later. They will usually continue working perfectly for several months before the cycle repeats.

I've pulled off the interior door panels, unmounted the motors, cleaned and lubed the track, and made sure nothing was binding. I also tried bypassing the main switch and the individual door switch, as well as he anti-theft system, when I powered the motors directly from the battery. Didn't work. Sometimes, tapping directly on the motor or track will get the motor working again, but usually not. Then, hours or days later all is working perfectly.

My Avalon received the wind noise upgrade kit years ago that included new windshield side moldings, new door weather strips, new front window motors that closed the windows tighter, etc.

It is hard to believe that I have four bad window motors or four bad individual window switches. Even when a non driver door window is stuck shut I can hear the click in the door when the driver's door master switch for that window is pressed. That eliminates the master switch on the driver's door and other non-motor electrical components. My volt meter says the switches are okay too.

Please post what it takes to fix your reluctant window.
  • Just this morning my 99 Avalon did the same thing. The airbag light came on and stayed on until I turned the car off. Anyway, what did you finally wind up doing about your airbag light?
  • zebra5zebra5 Posts: 44
    I have a 97 Avalon on which the rear driver side window has not worked since about six months after the warranty ended. A dealer tried to sell me a new motor, to which I declined. It mysteriously started working again for a while, but then shortly after stopped once and for all. Maybe somebody out there has cracked the code on what the most likely solution is - if so please share it.

I also have had what I consider excessive wind noise from the front driver side window from Day One with this car. Fndlyfmrflyr, when did you get your wind noise upgrade kit, might it apply to 97 models also, and did you have to request it or were you contacted (i.e., a recall)? I've heard nothing about such a thing.
  • A good slam of a read door usually gets the a rear door window working again. I've had the panels off and cleaned the connectors. Also made sure there was no binding on the track and nothing in the window channels. Took out the motors and checked them too (Every time I pulled a motor it worked fine when I tested it).

The wind noise fix was for 1995 and 1996 Avalons. New windshield moldings like those on the 1997 model were installed. New door weather stripping and new design rubber sound strips around the doors were installed. Insulation was added to the side mirrors and new front door power window motors were installed that closed the windows tighter.

There was no recall. Dealers would do the fix for customers that complained of wind noise around the front door mirrors and near the tops of the front door closed windows. The fix did not make a big difference. However, I stopped noticing the wind noise after the fix, so it must have done some good.
  • Does the Avalon have a transmission filter that needs to be changed with the oil? Thanks.
  • Hi, I do not know answer on your question,but I would like to ask you were did you get window noise upgrade kit for avalon..thank you
  • The dealer. This was done when the car was less than two years old.
  • junepugjunepug Posts: 161
    Anyone know of a good place to purchase the all weather floor mat for a 2001 Avalon XLS??
  • I bought a very nice set of mats at WalMart. I think I paid 19 buck for them. As I recall that was for the front only.
  • kicker9kicker9 Posts: 56
    I purchased mine for my 03 online at weathertech.com I think they were about 100.00 plus shipping, very heavy duty and easy to clean
  • Weathertech mats are excellent, and do a great job of catching slush, mud, sand, etc.. However, if you store them for any period of time, do not fold them. Mine developed a perfect crack and split in two when I took them down off the shelf for the next winter season.
  • cove148cove148 Posts: 117
    The Gulf states master distributor(5 southern states) options on the new Avalon was quoted for $1800.00. Of the crap on the list I am interested in options in the package that cost about $385 at MSRP. Any suggestions on ways to deal with this, other than buying out of state from a dealer who doesn't fall under the umbrella?
  • abfischabfisch Posts: 591
    Cove148:

This may not give you alot of comfort, but way back in 2001/2002, I was at a similar dilemma. I did not want the package but wanted similar items in the package, but could not order "a la carte".

I wound up buying the XL instead of the XLS, and while frustrating getting the options that I wanted put on for 1.5 years, I have a car that I like very much, and is not available on the North American market. If you are handy and patient, you can outfit the lower priced model your way.

I did with upgraded PIAA bulbs, XM Delphi stereo, PIAA fog and driving lights, 2 sets, both separate relays, Tokico HP struts, Energy Suspension PU bushing changes, a manual compass believe it or not, a Canadian Bug/Stone deflector, I changed the horn cause I could not stand the little bitty horn they used (probably off all the other models), added the splash guards myself, Weathertech mats, etc.

You get the picture. It cost around the same as a XLS, about 4-5K and that is on the high side, maybe a little less. I forgot the trailer hitch and the wiring. And, for the XM question, the delphi antenna on mine looks like a little mouse. We ran it down the right rear window rain channel, then under the truck seal, and then under the truck plastic and inner fascia through the rest of the car under the interior panels. Took some doing but came out very good. Seal it up with chaulking.

Good luck.

abfisch
  • Ask your dealer if he has any cars coming in that have not made the "port" yet. The dealer i bought my 05 limited from put a note on the invoice(or whatever paper work there is) not to add the unwanted options (toyoguard $699) etc.
  • 2003 XLS w/14k Miles
    Developed a strange "squeak", not really a rattle, somewhere around the computer display panel (where the GPS option would go, but I don't have it). Not very loud, but I can hear it on almost every bump I hit. It's really annoying, especially for a car costing >$30k. Since the airbag equipment is behind the dash, I'm hesitant about taking the dash apart to try to locate it. Also, I can only hear it on a bump while driving, so it would be difficult to find standing still. I also have a '91 Cressida with >150k miles that's still has no squeaks or rattles, but that car was still made IN Japan. Any other owners have a similar noises in their Avalons.
  • mikes.mikes. Posts: 335
    I've gotten leather for the first time in a car. What do I need to do to maintain it?

MikeS.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,023
    While you're waiting for an Avalon owner to reply, try entering "leather" in the keyword search to your left. There is one current discussion about maintaining leather uphosltery, but also quite a few archived topics that may be helpful.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager